• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Looks pretty good!

Shame about all the "cousin" mentions, they *really* should've gone the way of him not existing here.
Also guess it's not part of the Arrowverse :(

I'm still secretly hoping that The Flash creates a Flashpoint Paradox that ends up mixing everything together

Everything is separate.

So now DC have:
-the new movie-verse
-Arrow-verse
-Gotham-verse
-The canceled-verse (Constantine)
-Supergirl-verse (most likely)

Fixed!

I do think using the Arrowverse (which just introduced the concept of time-travel) to bust open interdimensional travel/parallel worlds would be a way to essentially link all these separate universes should they want - or at least give an excuse as to why there's a movie Flash and a TV flash, which COULD, should they feel like saying "Fuck it, lets go for it" introduce TV Superman and Batman into their TV universes as special guest stars or whatever.

But I think that would actually be more of a pain than just letting each show be its own self-contained universe. overarching continuities/shared universes more often than not tend to LIMIT storytelling possiblities, not enhance them.

Joni

I think we should retro-actively move Constantine to the Arrowverse. There is nothing in either show that makes it impossible.

kurahador

But I think that would actually be more of a pain than just letting each show be its own self-contained universe. overarching continuities/shared universes more often than not tend to LIMIT storytelling possiblities, not enhance them.

Depends I guess. I don't really like self-contained universe because it gives them an excuse to recycle the same characters or plotline over and over again.

It's the reason why I don't like those DTV DC animated movies despite being a huge fan of DCAU tv series.

Everything is separate.

So now DC have:
-the new movie-verse
-Arrow-verse
-Gotham-verse
-Constantine-verse
-Supergirl-verse (most likely)

Supergirl is in the Arrow/Flash/LoT verse. They just won't cross immediately.

Constantine has waffled on it. Sometimes yes, sometimes they say no. It has been hinted that it crosses with the Gotham-verse though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Depends I guess. I don't really like self-contained universe because it gives them an excuse to recycle the same characters or plotline over and over again.

It's the reason why I don't like those DTV DC animated movies despite being a huge fan of DCAU tv series.

You don't like 5 back-to-back retellings of the founding years of the Justice League?

I love Melissa Benoist, but this looks awful. The timing of this reveal is amazing given the recent Black Widow SNL skit (which I'm sure has already been mentioned 600 times ITT).

DaveH

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/legends-tomorrow-crossover-arrow-flash-not-supergirl-1201496000/

Confirmation: No crossover for now

But there’s another DC character being introduced to the smallscreen this fall who might have to sit out all the crossover fun — at least for now.

Of CBS’ hotly anticipated “Supergirl,” “The network has said publicly at this point they’re going to keep her to themselves,” says Berlanti. “I always approach the shows as a fan first, so I would love to see (a crossover). I think in success, all things are possible. But there’s a lot that would have to happen before everybody might say yes to that.”

Hopefully put this issue to bed until after Season 1.

Neoxon

What's the DC name for the city thats like Los Angeles? Is that Coast City?
4002838-1922527284-tumbl.jpg

MisterHero

Why's everyone tripping on Dean Cain being in this thing?

Helen Slater is standing right there. Right next to his doofy ass.
He was Superman during one of the biggest changes to his status quo. Supes and Lois getting married was so big they did it both in and out of comics.

Comics Supergirl got killed a year after her movie was released

v0yce

Surprised at the positive reactions here. Especially with how "OMG boys and clothes!" it came off.

Just so I'm clear, sexy badass female super heroes are a no no but adorkable doe eyed female super heroes are good?

And yes this looked just like the SNL BW parody. "Chill. DC gets women."

I'll still give it a shot though.

ReiGun

Surprised at the positive reactions here. Especially with how "OMG boys and clothes!" It came off.

Just so I'm clear, sexy badass female super heroes are a no no but adorkable doe eyed female super heroes are good?

Supergirl shoulder tackled a semi truck then pounded some dude in the dirt. I'd say she's got badass covered.

Why can't she be dorky and badass? They're not exactly mutually exclusive and really, Supergirl should embody both.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Surprised at the positive reactions here. Especially with how "OMG boys and clothes!" It came off.

I don't get this at all... How was it all "OMG BOYS AND CLOTHES"? I didn't see her fawning over anyone or anything, she wants her sister to help her pick out an outfit for a date... like... I fail to see how that's all that egregious. And then her and her friend are coming up with costume ideas...

Nothing here counters her ability to be a badass.

v0yce

I don't get this at all... How was it all "OMG BOYS AND CLOTHES"? I didn't see her fawning over anyone or anything, she wants her sister to help her pick out an outfit for a date... like... I fail to see how that's all that egregious. And then her and her friend are coming up with costume ideas...

Nothing here counters her ability to be a badass.

You didn't see her bumbling over her words when she met Jimmy and then a breathy "wow?"

Shaanyboi

Banned
You didn't see her bumbling over her words when she met Jimmy and then a breathy "wow?"

Because he's like... a super well renowned photographer* by this point? It doesn't mean "TEEHEE BOYS!" Barry fawns over scientists he adores, Peter Parker fawns over Octavius when they meet...

*EDIT: missed a word there....

jrDev

Wait, wasn't this supposed to be a CW spinoff that would have arrow and flash casts showing up? What the hell happened?

Volimar

This show is obviously going to aim a lot at girls, so if you can't get over those tropes, the show might not be for you. There'll still be action and powers as well.

Wait, wasn't this supposed to be a CW spinoff that would have arrow and flash casts showing up? What the hell happened?

It'll probably still happen, just not right away.

v0yce

Because he's like... a super well renowned by this point? It doesn't mean "TEEHEE BOYS!" Barry fawns over scientists he adores, Peter Parker fawns over Octavius when they meet...

I guess I read it wrong. From the trailer it looked like Jimmy was going to be a love interest.

Shaanyboi

Banned

It can still happen. They probably wanna see how it does first.

I guess I read it wrong. From the trailer it looked like Jimmy was going to be a love interest.

Fair enough. It still could be, but until they actually position that to be the case, I'd say that's up in the air... er... no pun intended or anything. And even so, that doesn't necessarily make it a negative or anything.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay, that....didn't actually look too bad. I'll watch the first few of them to see how it really is, but color me interested.

v0yce

And if he is, who cares? Why is that bad? She's allowed to have love interest?

It's not bad. It's expected. Just like the whole trailer. It's exactly what would come out of a board room trying to appeal to female millennials. Which is why it's so similar to a parody about that very thing.

Her real love interest will be Power Girl.

Paging Wozzly.

It'd be interesting to see the reactions to this trailer if it was about Power Girl with a busty lead.

ivysaur12

Banned
It's not bad. It's expected. Just like the whole trailer. It's exactly what would come out of a board room trying to appeal to female millennials. Which is why it's so similar to a parody about that very thing.

I still don't really understand where the connection comes from that "having a love interest" = "trying to appeal to female millennials". Having a love interest, even a love triangle, is a fairly standard storytelling device. And you just said it's "not bad". So, who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom