• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's a shame the heat ray doesn't have the same effect around the eyes from MoS.Ah well, still looks great.

Anyway, here's a grainy look at some of the faces (potential villains) on the screens...

Anyone have an idea as to who any of them are?
Purple guy could either be Despero or Parasite. If he has a third eye on his forehead, it's Despero.

Anyway, here's a grainy look at some of the faces (potential villains) on the screens...?

Better version:

ruxx6ME.jpg

Okay, so, this does bring up the fact that Jimmy Olsen would make a perfect Steel. John Henry Irons was basically just a dude who idolized Superman and wanted to fill in for him. Who, besides Lex Luther, loves Superman more than Jimmy?

This show could totally go that way with the Steel character. I mean, the guy they got playing him is clearly going to become a superhero at some point (you don't waste prime beefcake on a nobody like comics Olsen) so why not Steel?

Except John Henry Irons was a genius levels arms designers/engineer. :p

Effect

It's a shame the heat ray doesn't have the same effect around the eyes from MoS.Ah well, still looks great.

Anyway, here's a grainy look at some of the faces (potential villains) on the screens...

Anyone have an idea as to who any of them are?

Would likely kill their entire special effects budget or put a huge dent in it if they tried to pull off the effect from Man of Steel. That version was intense.

So I watched the behind the scenes video. She is 7 when she was sent to earth and Kal El was a baby. They mentioned that her age is 24, so is Kal El only 17 ?

infi

So I watched the behind the scenes video. She is 7 as she was sent to earth and Kal El was a baby. They mentioned that her age is 24, so is Kal El only 17 ?

Kara was delayed getting to Earth so she is physically younger despite being technically older I believe.

Would likely kill their entire special effects budget or put a huge dent in it if they tried to pull off the effect from Man of Steel. That version was intense.

Yeah, that's what I started to think after my post. It's still a TV Network show after all and with the constants that can bring, so it can't realistically do everything. I'm just glad the flying looks good, that was my main concern, but it's looking really good so far.

The effect they are using looks great though. Can't really fault it too much.

Wiktor

Yeah, that's what I started to think after my post. It's still a TV Network show after all and with the constants that can bring, so it can't realistically do everything. I'm just glad the flying looks good, that was my main concern, but it's looking really good so far.

The effect they are using looks great though. Can't really fault it too much.

I would be shocked if CBS shows wouldnt have bigger budget than most of cable shows,

Oh, the scene where the armed guards run against their target with their hands on their guns but don't actually draw them from them holsters? Tell me more about your expertise on "what a well made scene looks like".

Pretty much every action scene in Agents of Shield. Such awful choreography or depends completely on moronic henchmen. But you see everyone gets excited for these scenes cause they are flashy or shot well, no matter how stupid they really are

Wiktor

Pretty much every action scene in Agents of Shield. Such awful choreography or depends completely on moronic henchmen. But you see everyone gets excited for these scenes cause they are flashy or shot well, no matter how stupid they really are

Heh...there's just something about complete incompetence in firearms in Marvel tv shows. I mean..look at Daredevil. It has really nice fight scenes, but whenever guns came into play the show turned into such a dumb mess, with guys not being able to hit DD from like two meters away, DD being able to roll on the ground faster than a bullet or a being able to dodge almost point blank rage fire from damn assault riffle just by twirling in the air. Always took me out of thos scenes. Just plain terrible

Action shows usually depend on crappy aiming, but DD took it way past point of believability.

That's the thing, really. I can't help but roll my eyes when people come into threads to diss a TV show's understandably basic fight choreography and then as a proof of what "real good" choreography looks like, they post another show's gif where equally lame stuff is going on.

Hell, even DareDevil had fight choreography issues.
Heh...there's just something about complete incompetence in firearms in Marvel tv shows. I mean..look at Daredevil. It has really nice fight scenes, but whenever guns came into play the show turned into such a dumb mess, with guys not being able to hit DD from like two meters away, DD being able to roll on the ground faster than a bullet or a being able to dodge almost point blank rage fire from damn assault riffle just by twirling in the air. Always took me out of thos scenes. Just plain terrible

Action shows usually depend on crappy aiming, but DD took it way past point of believability.
Exactly, thank you. Bad guys spraying ammo on the floor, walls and ceiling.

Neoxon

I feel like they kinda have to use the Supergirl song in the show at some point, even if it's just for a short bit on the radio or something.

Vinci

Danish
One other thing about this show: They cast her perfectly. She seems so earnest in every scene shown. No dark, no brooding. Just a sweet-natured person.

Take note, Warner Bros. The DC shows may not always get it right, but they also show that you can do colorful and fun - and it's okay. The DC universe was never meant to be encapsulated in shades of grey.

Wiktor

One other thing about this show: They cast her perfectly. She seems so earnest in every scene shown. No dark, no brooding. Just a sweet-natured person.

Take note, Warner Bros. The DC shows may not always get it right, but they also show that you can do colorful and fun - and it's okay. The DC universe was never meant to be encapsulated in shades of grey.
Well..it;s best to have variety and we do. Flash is cheerful, Supergirl even more so. But to do Arrow , Constantine or Gotham this way would be terrible idea. Well..Arrow could use a boost of humor right now, but nowhere near that it would bring it to Flash or Supergirl-levels of happy.

tci

The second trailer is the only one they should have released. Decent.

First one was terrible. Bad timing and forced comedy. The major problem I had with the first one is the fact that they make it a big of a deal that she is a girl. Why should it matter. This always irks me with these kind of superhero shows. Get over it, she is a girl and can do shit like other heroes. And this "american dream" thing they are doing, please, America let it stop.

I will watch a few episodes of this before deciding. From what I can see so far I have major doubts. Just please make this about the hero/daily struggle part, and not force "girly" things into the show just because she is a female hero. Make it natural if that is really needed. You don't see other hero shows doing the same for male heroes.

Joni

Y'know, I was going to recommend Spartacus for strong female characters but then I noticed your daughter is 11....

I think iZombie might be a good show for her (although it doesn't appear to have started airing in the UK yet)? The 100 too, if you don't mind the more mature themes and violence (the themes are pretty mature...mass murder, etc). Orphan Black has very strong female leads too, but deals with some pretty mature/adult themes.

Shows with strong female leads/character for young children do seem to be somewhat lacking now I think about it.

I'd add Reign to this list, it is basically a fairytale with the woman in the lead. But it has a couple of scenes that would make it difficult for someone that is 11. There is basically one big sex scene in season 1 and a major, very painful one in season 2.

The second trailer is the only one they should have released. Decent.

First one was terrible. Bad timing and forced comedy. The major problem I had with the first one is the fact that they make it a big of a deal that she is a girl. Why should it matter. This always irks me with these kind of superhero shows. Get over it, she is a girl and can do shit like other heroes. And this "american dream" thing they are doing, please, America let it stop.

I will watch a few episodes of this before deciding. From what I can see so far I have major doubts. Just please make this about the hero/daily struggle part, and not force "girly" things into the show just because she is a female hero. Make it natural if that is really needed. You don't see other hero shows doing the same for male heroes.

Exactly! Avoid the teeny bobber nonsense please!
Give it a mythology, make it about something bigger than her gender

Watching quality shows like Game Of Thrones, True Detective, Fargo etc. really makes network stuff like this look like absolute garbage to me. It's like going back to a reheated frozen pizza after been to a Michelin star restaurant. I just can't do it.

It's not just me, right?

Supergirl may be great or it may end up sucking, but Game of Thrones and True Detective are both miles away from anything I'd call a quality show and whether or not Fargo holds up in season two remains to be seen.

That first promo was horrible but the second one was far better. Also I'm glad Superman is a person in universe and I'm glad that they're doing the whole "You will never live up to him!" now to establish that she's her own person and get the whole "Y DONT DA SUPERMAN JUST DO IT" out of the way.

TP-DK

Just to be clear; this is in the same universe as Man of Steel right?

Looks better than I expected, I'll probably give this a watch.

Supergirl may be great or it may end up sucking, but Game of Thrones and True Detective are both miles away from anything I'd call a quality show and whether or not Fargo holds up in season two remains to be seen.

If True Detective isn't a quality show then what is?

No, it's in the DCTV universe with Arrow, Flash, Constantine and Legends of Tomorrow.

MoS is a separate movie universe.

Wait, Constantine is in the Arrowverse? I may have to watch it then.

Vinci

Danish
Well..it;s best to have variety and we do. Flash is cheerful, Supergirl even more so. But to do Arrow , Constantine or Gotham this way would be terrible idea. Well..Arrow could use a boost of humor right now, but nowhere near that it would bring it to Flash or Supergirl-levels of happy.

I'm not suggesting that every single character be like this. I'm suggesting that not every single character needs to be placed within a grey setting and drained of all color and personality. Can you imagine Flash made to fit within the Man of Steel vision of the DC Comics universe? How much of a travesty would that be?

And obviously I'm excluding the Vertigo characters from this sort of treatment.

All it want is for Warner Bros to realize that the DCU properties should be treated in a way that fits that character, not uniformly colored to match a singular, dreary view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom