• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future

I hope this show does well. I'm SO hyped for it...and the last show I got this hyped for was Almost Human. ):

Some of these comments are ridiculous (and make me worried about the ratings...). Do people expect Supergirl to be just like Superman (in terms of tone)? Because.... Supergirl =/= Superman. The "girly bits" (which aren't even THAT girly) fit her perfectly, and not every show needs to be Arrow or Daredevil. Like, damn guys. A Batgirl TV show wouldn't/shouldn't feel like a Nolan Batman movie either.

Also, did any of you watch Smallville, because DEAR GOD, talk about an actual soap opera. And I sat through four seasons of that shit.
Only for Lex.

It's the song they chose in the initial trailer really. It did have that snl this is how you do female super heroes vibe at first, but when the song came on basically the target audience catapulted right out of the male audience.

Sober

it's okay guys, i'm currently compiling a list of surgeons who specialize in penis reattachment. you can contact them when the season finishes. just make sure to keep your penis on ice and you bandage the spot where it fell off and change the bandage regularly. try not to stick things in there in the meantime.

Ophelion

Lmao at the explanation of "girl" being empowering.

We just need to change their names to Batboy, Ironboy, and Spiderboy! It's empowering!

I thought the point of that argument was that the show runners are essentially admitting that girl is not empowering and that they're getting around that by having her named by her psychopathic boss. I mean, Kara even says it would be better for her to be named Superwoman.

Then her nuts boss essentially says, "It's Supergirl because I like girl. You will also like girl or you will be fired."

Or at least, that was the implication I got.

I thought the point of that argument was that the show runners are essentially admitting that girl is not empowering and that they're getting around that by having her named by her psychopathic boss. I mean, Kara even says it would be better for her to be named Superwoman.

Then her nuts boss essentially says, "It's Supergirl because I like girl. You will also like girl or you will be fired."

It's the complete opposite of that. Kara thinks girl might be too cutesy or un-empowering and Cat schools her on why it's OK to embrace the label of girl.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Superboy is a thing, too. Just throwing that out there for those of who don't actually read comics but want to bitch about them anyway.

Someone did a pretty good recut of the trailer/first look. Removes most of the office and character moments between Kara and her sister and friend though. Focuses more on the action and drops it to just under 2 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3dkwFObqSM

Wow. That actually looks pretty good...

Although I wish they cut the music for a bit and played the part of her trying to get height to fly (I like that shot) and then cut back to the music. But that was awesome.

ReiGun

Something I don't get (and if it's been mentioned in these 26 pages I apologize), the description in the OP says she was 12 when she escaped and it's 12 years later, so she's 24. However, we know Superman was a baby when he escaped, so he's 12, maybe 13, in this universe. So how does he know Jimmy Olson to start using him to send messages and send his cape when he's not out of middle school yet?

Or did the universe change and Supes was 20 when his parents put him in the pod?
Canonically, Kara gets stuck in stasis on her way to Earth while Kal makes it there just fine. He grows up and she arrives some time after he's become Superman.

No it's the showrunners pretty clearly using Cat to defend the "girl" label. She's basically saying "I'm a 'girl' and I'm the shit. Being a girl is fine. Get over it."

Superboy is a thing, too. Just throwing that out there for those of who don't actually read comics but want to bitch about them anyway.

The Legion of Superheroes are all call themselves [something]-boy or [something]-girl, even after they grow to adult age. It's a common naming scheme.

psylah

So was Streaky the Supercat, Krypto the Superdog, and Comet the Superhorse
(who through a series of events that could only occur in comic books became a love interest for Supergirl.)

ivysaur12

Banned
It's the complete opposite of that. Kara thinks girl might be too cutesy or un-empowering and Cat schools her on why it's OK to embrace the label of girl.

Yes, that's how it plays. Also, the show is sort of stuck with the name :p

Arg, I have lore questions, but I cannot ask. Oh well!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Also, if this takes off, Batwoman can be the next show and it can take a cue from Daredevil and be all dark and violent and Supergirl can stay Supergirly and everybody wins!

Ophelion

No it's the showrunners pretty clearly using Cat to defend the "girl" label. She's basically saying "I'm a 'girl' and I'm the shit. Being a girl is fine. Get over it."

But...and maybe this is just based on my estimation of it...the rest of the trailer shows Cat Grant to be a self-absorbed bully. She's not someone you would use to defend the girl title if you wanted to do it in earnest. It's a consider the source situation.

When you have Kara who is sugar and spice and all that is nice saying that girl is maybe not so great and you have Cat Grant who is like THE stereotypical lady with badwrong opinions about other women saying it's good, the result is, to me, that the show is implying that it might be kind of problematic, but they obviously have to call her Supergirl because that's what the character is called. So let's have her jerk idiot boss bully it into existence. Then Kara just kind of has to live with it.

It's like saying that because Stan Lee writes JJJ as saying Spider-Man is a menace, that means that Stan Lee is trying to tell the audience that Spider-Man actually is a menace. No, JJJ is an idiot. Stan doesn't think Spider-Man is a menace, but it's important for the story that other people do.

ivysaur12

Banned
But...and maybe this is just based on my estimation of it...the rest of the trailer shows Cat Grant to be a self-absorbed bully. She's not someone you would use to defend the girl title if you wanted to do it in earnest. It's a consider the source situation.

When you have Kara who is sugar and spice and all that is nice saying that girl is maybe not so great and you have Cat Grant who is like THE stereotypical lady with badwrong opinions about other women saying it's good, the result is, to me, that the show is implying that it might be kind of problematic, but they obviously have to call her Supergirl because that's what the character is called. So let's have her jerk idiot boss bully it into existence. Then Kara just kind of has to live with it.

It's like saying that because Stan Lee writes JJJ as saying Spider-Man is a menace, that means that Stan Lee is trying to tell the audience that Spider-Man actually is a menace. No, JJJ is an idiot. Stan doesn't think Spider-Man is a menace, but it's important for the story that other people do.

You're reading too much into a character as "good" or "bad", and because she is mean, nothing that she says can never say anything truthful. That's not how it works. She's a Devil Wears Prada-esque asshole, but she's also not stupid, which is abundantly clear in the pilot. She's not the villain, she's just a tough boss. And she's being tough with Kara in this scene, buying back the term "Supergirl" (since she named her Supergirl) and why she did.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

To be fair your assuming the boss is an awful one dimensional character from the get go. Which may be the case but it also means the show has much bigger problems than weather or not it's fine to use the term girl.

Otherwise, it'd perfectly fine for her to defend it, mean and cruel people can make logical decisions, in fact for many that's why there deemed mean or cruel, because that human element is lacking.

ReiGun

On TV? On CBS? Never.

In a web browser? In incognito mode? Maybe.

WAPlddC.gif

Ophelion

To be fair your assuming the boss is an awful one dimensional character from the get go. Which may be the case but it also means the show has much bigger problems than weather or not it's fine to use the term girl.

Otherwise, it'd perfectly fine for her to defend it, mean and cruel people can make logical decisions, in fact for many that's why there deemed mean or cruel, because that human element is lacking.

All I can really draw on here is two scenes in this trailer and who she is in the comics. She's not one dimensional based on that, but she's also not someone you'd turn to looking for advice on life, if you know what I mean. She means well, but she's not an especially insightful person and if I, as a writer, wanted my audience to buy into the idea that naming her Supergirl rather than Superwoman was image positive, she's not exactly the first character I'd choose to be my ambassador of that idea.

Off the top of my head, I'd make a lower key conversation occur between her and her sister, Alex.

So, I'm just saying that maybe this scene is not, in fact, meant to be taken as voice of the author. Maybe it's just explaining why she got saddled with a name they obviously have to use, regardless of how good it is or not.

ivysaur12

Banned
All I can really draw on here is two scenes in this trailer and who she is in the comics. She's not one dimensional based on that, but she's also not someone you'd turn to looking for advice on life, if you know what I mean. She means well, but she's not an especially insightful person and if I, as a writer, wanted my audience to buy into the idea that naming her Supergirl rather than Superwoman was image positive, she's not exactly the first character I'd choose to be my ambassador of that idea.

Off the top of my head, I'd make a lower key conversation occur between her and her sister, Alex.

So, I'm just saying that maybe this scene is not, in fact, meant to be taken as voice of the author. Maybe it's just explaining why she got saddled with a name they obviously have to use, regardless of how good it is or not.

I actually think you're reading too much into it. She comes across as the smartest (and most successful) person in the room, and knows it. She's portrayed as faaaar more competent than JJJ ever was (again, not a comic book guy, but I unfortunately saw all three movies). It makes sense.

Tuck

Devil Wears Prada with superpowers.

Neat.

Probably will pass though, Arrow and The Flash are enough superheroes for me.

Ophelion

I actually think you're reading too much into it. She comes across as the smartest (and most successful) person in the room, and knows it. She's portrayed as faaaar more competent than JJJ ever was (again, not a comic book guy, but I unfortunately saw all three movies). It makes sense.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Gotchaye

She's got to embrace the name at some point, though. Supergirl can't be going around wanting to be called Superwoman instead halfway through the season - she needs to be proud to be Supergirl, at some point. If it's going to come up at all (and we see that it does), eventually she's going to need to accept something like her boss' position on this. It'd be pretty weird if her boss wasn't intended to be correcting viewers who (understandably, since Cara has the same reaction) don't like "Supergirl" if they're eventually going to have to have Cara agree with the sentiment. From the preview I think that probably could have been done better, but I have a hard time not seeing it as voice of the author there, even if it's something that the author is perhaps only saying because of the need to justify a preexisting name. The justification is intended as a justification, and not an excuse.

Ophelion

She's got to embrace the name at some point, though. Supergirl can't be going around wanting to be called Superwoman instead halfway through the season - she needs to be proud to be Supergirl, at some point. If it's going to come up at all (and we see that it does), eventually she's going to need to accept something like her boss' position on this. It'd be pretty weird if her boss wasn't intended to be correcting viewers who (understandably, since Cara has the same reaction) don't like "Supergirl" if they're eventually going to have to have Cara agree with the sentiment. From the preview I think that probably could have been done better, but I have a hard time not seeing it as voice of the author there, even if it's something that the author is perhaps only saying because of the need to justify a preexisting name. The justification is intended as a justification, and not an excuse.

I guess I assumed before based on that scene that it'd be more of a taking it back sort of thing. Because, thanks to Ms. Grant, the cat is out of the bag (pun intended.) People are going to be calling her Supergirl, so even if that's not ideal in Kara's opinion at first, she ultimately resolves to make it stand for something great.

That is apparently not the case though, so it's kind of moot at this point.

It's the song they chose in the initial trailer really. It did have that snl this is how you do female super heroes vibe at first, but when the song came on basically the target audience catapulted right out of the male audience.

This is part of my guess.

Someone did a pretty good recut of the trailer/first look. Removes most of the office and character moments between Kara and her sister and friend though. Focuses more on the action and drops it to just under 2 minutes.

Same content, which removes most of the character establishment and both workplaces. Different song. People will love it.

I like how people give this shit from just seeing the first look when Smallville had 10 years of teen drama,romance,goofiness + Not to mention it took Clark 10 seasons to save a plane.

P.S I still loved Smallville

I think the music probably ruined this trailer tbh .. and it was probably a bit to long

taizuke

I'm saving this gif for E3.

Edit - Btw I wasn't digging the actress ever since I saw her during the promo photos because I used to see her in glee and she wasn't exactly my favorite character. Not that her character was terrible or anything is just I never gravitated towards her. But, having seen her now I gotta admit she has won me over.

That was nice but I miss some of the character stuff, like cutting out her telescopic visioning to her sister, her saying "yup" because I loved the way it was delivered and some other stuff.

Effect

They need those scenes. Kara is someone who is desperately trying to fit in, to not excel. She needs to accept who she really is to shine.

Oh I agree. Didn't make the video.

I do think though they shouldn't have release a video as long as they did. They could have broken it up into perhaps three with each focusing on different aspects but each one including action. Then a shorter one that covered everything instead of the massive we got. I didn't really like that Flash did the same thing ultimately in the end after a

I said this already, but I want badass angry Kara at some point. Walk towards the bullets without smiling. Just need that.

It'll happen. Just like Barry. "Kara, this is not who you are!" *blah blah blah* *being not good doesn't work* "Wow, that didn't work out. I'm sorry I didn't listen to you."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom