• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

Ah, the age old mistake that thinking a female character being feminine makes her weak in the eyes of male viewers and that only stone-cold badass women need apply.

4002838-1922527284-tumbl.jpg

wheres floridaman
or men

Wiktor

Ah, the age old mistake that thinking a female character being feminine makes her weak in the eyes of male viewers and that only stone-cold badass women need apply.

Yeah..and they need to be sterilized too, before they can join in on the action, just to remove every possible feminine aspect of their personality.

anaron

I'm still not seeing where the clothes part of "OMG boys and clothes" is coming from. Is it the gags about the costume? Because assembling an adequate costume is a plot point in the first Spider-Man and in Man of Steel, and Bruce Wayne spends about 80% of Batman Begins collecting his, just to pick a few.

Addressing the existence of silly spandex superhero costumes & capes in-universe is bog-standard superhero movie stuff. They seem to be adding the very slight extra layer of joking about the ridiculously scanty variety that is typical of female superhero outfits in comics.

IOf7I2u.gif
this majestic gif...

mNjLll7.jpg

Future

Man that first trailer. Hunk jimmy Olsen. Cheesy ass pop song. She looks awkward hitting shit as she doesn't look good hitting the action poses

I did like her flying isn't walls and shit though

Uh people cry, dude. Hell, Barry Allen and Oliver Queen cry and have emotional moments all the time on their respective shows.

There's a difference between having an emotional moment and having the trailer promoting the show consider that a highlight as a first impression.

Wiktor

There's a difference between having an emotional moment and having the trailer promoting the show consider that a highlight as a first impression.
I don't think you know how upfront promos work. They're not real trailers. They're essentially summaries of the first episode. Her crying isn't a highlight, it's a moment that shows advertisers there will be more to her than just beating aliens up. That there will be emotional arcs involved.

Out of a 6:36 minute trailer, she cried for 7 seconds.

Jesus y'all.

In fact, let's break down the trailer.

0:00 - 0:28 - Krypton! Foster Family!
0:28 - 0:52 - I'm a personal assistant at a media company!
0:52 - 1:10 - The infamous "Devil Wears Prada" boss. (18 seconds!)
1:10 - 1:33 - Introducing Jimmy Olsen.
1:33 - 2:00 - Introducing Alex, the sister. Establishing that we know she has powers and doesn't use them.
2:00 - 2:54 - Saving a fucking plane!
2:54 - 3:05 - Sister tells her to stay on the downlow.
3:05 - 3:34 - "What's wrong with Supergirl speech?"
3:24 - 4:09 - "Look I have powers!"
4:09 - 4:15 - Costume #1 - In-joke for comics fans
4:15 - 4:21 - Costume #2!
4:21 - 4:25 - Police chase!
4:25 - 4:33 - Costume #3
4:33 - 4:37 - I'm bulletproof!
4:37 - 4:56 - Final costume.
4:56 - 5:17 - Supervillians are real, there's a government organization to collect them. Kicksplode.
5:17 - 5:27 - Black dude doesn't want my help. Sadness and popcorn.
5:27 - 5:35 - Crying, sister bonding.
5:35 - 6:05 - Flying, kicksplode, superheroes yay!
6:05 - 6:29 - "Your cousin doesn't want to talk to you. Here's a cape."
6:29 - End - Flying, kicksplode, superheroes yay!

In order to check whether or not I'm being sexist, I try and make comparisons between male and female characters. So I would have complained about this myself, but Barry cried like every episode at the beginning of S1. Maybe not full tears but Jesus, shut the fuck up Barry.

So I can't complain about female superheroes crying like once. Under the same doubts.

In order to check whether or not I'm being sexist, I try and make comparisons between male and female characters. So I would have complained about this myself, but Barry cried like every episode at the beginning of S1. Maybe not full tears but Jesus, shut the fuck up Barry.

So I can't complain about female superheroes crying like once. Under the same doubts.

Like all the time.

And they're some of the best moments on the show. Anytime Barry is with Joe or his dad? Tears bro.

ivysaur12

Banned
Impressions: VERY piloty (like, every scene was doing a million different things), but she's charming, and it works. I had a grin on my face the entire time and I could see this becoming something I'd want to watch weekly. Plz don't ask any more questions.

- J - D -

The Flash has had an absolutely blessed (by science) first season, so I'm hopeful for Supergirl's chances.

It doesn't look like Smallville, so that's a plus.

Volimar

Impressions: VERY piloty (like, every scene was doing a million different things), but she's charming, and it works. I had a grin on my face the entire time and I could see this becoming something I'd want to watch weekly. Plz don't ask any more questions.

What? You saw it?!?!? GGRRRFFBLLRLLBLBL

How many FEMINISM gifs we getting out of it

Cool. I know you said no more questions, but I don't think I ever caught your impressions on Flash before. If I did, I forget.

I hope Ivysaur makes one from every episode.

ivysaur12

Banned

SHE IS A #STRONG #FEMALE #CHARACTER

Cool. I know you said no more questions, but I don't think I ever caught your impressions on Flash before. If I did, I forget.

I've seen a few episodes. It's pretty decent, and by far the best of the few comic book shows I've seen because it doesn't take itself too seriously and has a nice wit to it. I don't think the budget can match the ambition, though. I feel that for a lot of television that relies on CGI.

SHE IS A #STRONG #FEMALE #CHARACTER

I've seen a few episodes. It's pretty decent, and by far the best of the few comic book shows I've seen because it doesn't take itself too seriously and has a nice wit to it. I don't think the budget can match the ambition, though. I feel that for a lot of television that relies on CGI.

Cool. And at some point, if you have time, give the rest of the season a try. While you can see the constraints of the budget, some of the stuff they pull off on a CW budget is impressive. And they find some nice work arounds for some things by leaving them to your imagination.

I am just guessing that Supergirl will most likely have a bigger budget than Flash just by virtue of being on CBS.

Mariolee

I'm going to defy you and ask a question that isn't necessarily related but might clue me in to how I should read this impression: Do you watch the other DC shows?

Edit: Well shit, guess someone beat me to it.

Oddduck

I was looking forward to this, but the trailer looks pretty cheesy. Really, really cheesy.

But I do enjoy strong female protagonists like iZombie and Agent Carter, so I'm willing to give it a chance. Plus the main actress in Supergirl seems likeable.

I felt it's a bit too silly for my taste, though I suspect it has more to do with I don't know how many episodes' plots being condensed into a 6 minutes long clip. Feels a bit cheesy.

Still, Benoist is very charming, and the show could be fun, and actually better than the clip makes it seems to be. I think I'll watch the first episode.

I believe they've only filmed the pilot so far so that's what the 'first look' is for

Ark

This looks as far removed from Flash and Arrow as possible. I'm not really feeling it, but I'll give it a chance.

I'm sure a lot of those VFX will get tweaked before it airs in November.

Until one of the shows blatantly contradicts the other, I'm just going to assume Supergirl is part of the Arrow/Flash-verse, and that they will connect at some point. And until then, I'll just enjoy the shows separately.

Neither show ever mentioning the existence of Superman is a pretty big deal. The second Supergirl trailer basically saying Superman was the only super hero or whatever until now is another one.

tci

Yeah, she starts tearing up for a few moments approximately 5 minutes and 30 seconds into a six-and-a-half minute trailer.

Clearly a water fountain, that one.
Superheroes that cry isn't really an issue. More shows/movies should show more emotions. Not necessary with crying either.

Putting a crying girl in a promo about a female superhero is just a bit strange. Just wish they would have not included that in it. The promo makes feels like a fight for feminists in a way.

Hopefully it's a marketing thing and we will get a new promo closer to the release. Supergirl is an interesting character. Let's just hope they give her a good character development and not overdo it with the push towards a female demographic just for the sake of it.

Monocle

Eh, the lead actress doesn't really sell it, and I'm not sure about the tone. Where's the Eva Green of woman superheroes when we need her?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Superheroes that cry isn't really an issue. More shows/movies should show more emotions. Not necessary with crying either.

Putting a crying girl in a promo about a female superhero is just a bit strange. Just wish they would have not included that in it. The promo makes feels like a fight for feminists in a way.

Hopefully it's a marketing thing and we will get a new promo closer to the release. Supergirl is an interesting character. Let's just hope they give her a good character development and not overdo it with the push towards a female demographic just for the sake of it.

I think you'll survive.
CUW7E37.jpg

strafer

my body is ready

This show looks promising.

if i was a teenage-starbucks drinking, instagram filtering, selfie obsessed tumblrnistic girl. I think ill stick to Daredevil.

Cheebo

Banned

if i was a teenage-starbucks drinking, instagram filtering, selfie obsessed tumblrnistic girl. I think ill stick to Daredevil.

Posts like this make no sense. Not being a girl has nothing to do with being able to enjoy a girly show.

There is no reason a guy would be inherently turned off by the girly elements, it's all in your head. Girly stuff that is done well is fun, and this looks to be well done girly fun mixed in with super hero elements.

Cyberius

Neither show ever mentioning the existence of Superman is a pretty big deal. The second Supergirl trailer basically saying Superman was the only super hero or whatever until now is another one.

Honestly that doesn't bother me one bit. My bar is basically until Supergirl show casts its own Flash or Arrow, or vise versa, I'll consider all of them in the same universe.

wildfire

Banned
I'm my second rewatch of this preview I felt like I was watching Lifetime movie with an SFX budget. I still like it in general but I'm annoyed they spoiled the entire first episode.

They might as well go full Iron Man with this in terms of her celebrity. Those glasses won't fool anyone.

My name is Oliver Queen...

My name is Barry Allen...

My name is Kara Zor-El...

iZombie officially proven to not be part of the Arrowverse.

It's just as well.

Cyberius

I'm my second rewatch of this preview I felt like I was watching Lifetime movie with an SFX budget. I still like it in general but I'm annoyed they spoiled the entire first episode.

To be fair, that's pretty common with the trailers coming out of the upfronts. Technically, the trailers aren't for us, they're for advertisers who want to know more about the show and they don't really care about spoilers.

Tomita

I hope this show does well. I'm SO hyped for it...and the last show I got this hyped for was Almost Human. ):

Some of these comments are ridiculous (and make me worried about the ratings...). Do people expect Supergirl to be just like Superman (in terms of tone)? Because.... Supergirl =/= Superman. The "girly bits" (which aren't even THAT girly) fit her perfectly, and not every show needs to be Arrow or Daredevil. Like, damn guys. A Batgirl TV show wouldn't/shouldn't feel like a Nolan Batman movie either.

Also, did any of you watch Smallville, because DEAR GOD, talk about an actual soap opera. And I sat through four seasons of that shit.
Only for Lex.

bozeman

Something I don't get (and if it's been mentioned in these 26 pages I apologize), the description in the OP says she was 12 when she escaped and it's 12 years later, so she's 24. However, we know Superman was a baby when he escaped, so he's 12, maybe 13, in this universe. So how does he know Jimmy Olson to start using him to send messages and send his cape when he's not out of middle school yet?

Or did the universe change and Supes was 20 when his parents put him in the pod?

ivysaur12

Banned
Something I don't get (and if it's been mentioned in these 26 pages I apologize), the description in the OP says she was 12 when she escaped and it's 12 years later, so she's 24. However, we know Superman was a baby when he escaped, so he's 12, maybe 13, in this universe. So how does he know Jimmy Olson to start using him to send messages and send his cape when he's not out of middle school yet?

Or did the universe change and Supes was 20 when his parents put him in the pod?

This is explained, but I think it's in the comics too.

Without another explanation I was thinking maybe it was relativistic problems on the trip from Krypton to Earth. Supes is clearly grown-up in the clips where he holds's young Kara's hand.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

It's been covered a few times, but the simple story is that both Clark and Kara were put into stasis/escape pods as a baby and a teen, respectively. Clark went straight to Earth. Kara got stuck in space for a while, finally reaching Earth, as a teenager, well after Clark matured and became Superman.

ivysaur12

Banned

God, shut up.

Posts like this make no sense. Not being a girl has nothing to do with being able to enjoy a girly show.

There is no reason a guy would be inherently turned off by the girly elements, it's all in your head. Girly stuff that is done well is fun, and this looks to be well done girly fun mixed in with super hero elements.

KmA

Lmao at the explanation of "girl" being empowering.

We just need to change their names to Batboy, Ironboy, and Spiderboy! It's empowering!

psylah

Supergirl being the MLP of superhero shows CONFIRMED.

I'm in anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom