• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayhawk

A decent enough pilot that persuaded me to watch the next few episodes. The lead being beautiful is also another reason.

Sorry, I didn't see this before I posted the above. What was the explanation given in the scene?

Basically, she is given the name by people on Twitter. When the news paper the company she works for owns runs with it; she gets upset & thinks she should be called Super Woman. The owner of the company, a woman, pretty much says: I'm a girl, I'm pretty, powerful, rich, & hot, do you have a problem with me being a girl. Along those lines. Then the scene shifts when Jimmy shows up. But that basically sums it up. It came across pretty well, how it was played.

Effect

Supergirl - What You Can Expect This Season (season 1 trailer)

Tons of new footage. And for those complaining about people not saying Superman, they do there.

That's a really good trailer and it looks like they might be adding the anger issue that Supergirl I believe is known to have. From what I remember is that unlike Superman she has a hard time holding back when she should where as Superman might hold back to much at times.

It's going to be interesting to see if there are any other heroes in this universe. They're likely free to add them the way Flash and Arrow have and are.

IconGrist

How old is her character supposed to be? And "because that's what she goes by" isn't really a good reason. The writers could have come up with anything so it seems like a missed opportunity to rewrite Super Woman into positive character instead of a demonized powerful woman.

Sorry, I didn't see this before I posted the above. What was the explanation given in the scene?

That came off a little harsh so I apologize. What I mean is the character has been around for over 50 years as Supergirl. Is that a better explanantion? No. But it is what it is. It's what she's recognized by to the general public.

LosDaddie

Banned
Fun episode.

My biggest gripe, which I had after watching the 6min teaser months ago, was the constant reference to Superman. Just don't mention him. Ever. Why? Because, yes, he would be all about fighting & capturing prisoners from Krypton. Don't bullshit yourself thinking otherwise.

My 7yo daughter enjoyed it. The wife also thought it was a fun pilot episode. We're in for the season.

Didn't watch, but is there a good reason she's Supergirl instead of Superwoman? .

Sexism

Volimar

Tbh this would be the perfect opportunity to rebrand her as Superwoman after a season or two like they did for Ollie on Arrow becoming the Green Arrow. The name really is outdated.

braves01

Banned
There is an entire scene that deals with this directly.

Basically, she is given the name by people on Twitter. When the news paper the company she works for owns runs with it; she gets upset & thinks she should be called Super Woman. The owner of the company, a woman, pretty much says: I'm a girl, I'm pretty, powerful, rich, & hot, do you have a problem with me being a girl. Along those lines. Then the scene shifts when Jimmy shows up. But that basically sums it up. It came across pretty well, how it was played.

That came off a little harsh so I apologize. What I mean is the character has been around for over 50 years as Supergirl. Is that a better explanantion? No. But it is what it is. It's what she's recognized by to the general public.

Okay, thanks. I'm not totally sold on how that was explained by the show based on your description, but I didn't watch it so I can't really judge how it came off. It seems like it boils down to "I don't mind being called X. Why should you have different feeling about being called X than I do?"

I also didn't realize how old a concept Super Girl was, not that necessarily should determine things today.

I'd be down for:

Batwoman (just because I love the character, though honestly she should be in Gotham or in her own show)
Batgirl or Huntress (given their friendship in the comics)
Mary Marvel (for the obligatory rival trope episode and eventual magic weakness team up)
Midnighter
J'onn (he needs to be somewhere)
PG from the future/alt timeline

So when does the cat and horse show up?

Cat Season Finale, Horse when it moves to HBO

Tbh this would be the perfect opportunity to rebrand her as Superwoman after a season or two like they did for Ollie on Arrow becoming the Green Arrow. The name really is outdated.

Maybe she'll just get sick of being compared to Supes and don the white and Boob Windowed of Powergirl and call her self that.

I'd be down for:

Batwoman (just because I love the character, though honestly she should be in Gotham or in her own show)
Batgirl or Huntress (given their friendship in the comics)
Mary Marvel (for the obligatory rival trope episode and eventual magic weakness team up)
Midnighter
J'onn (he needs to be somewhere)
PG from the future/alt timeline

Those two would be

aces-billy-bob.gif

Loxley

Okay, thanks. I'm not totally sold on how that was explained by the show based on your description, but I didn't watch it so I can't really judge how it came off. It seems like it boils down to "I don't mind being called X. Why should you have different feeling about being called X than I do?"

I also didn't realize how old a concept Super Girl was, not that necessarily should determine things today.

Yep, Action Comics #252 - from 1959. I believe DC kept Kara as a teenager (16/17ish) for a long time, so the name Supergirl just kind of stuck.

Luigi87

Okay I've been looking forward to this... but I'm just over 4 minutes into the pilot and one thing that kind of gnawed at me from the get go.

"I'm telling you, they're out there... Aliens."
"There's no such thing as aliens."

... Superman has been an established hero for a while, so... what?

Okay I've been looking forward to this... but I'm just over 4 minutes into the pilot and one thing that kind of gnawed at me from the get go.

Yeah I wondered about that.

Volimar

Bugged me too. A cutesy moment that defies logic. Unless the public doesn't know that he's an alien.

Effect

I really would like to know why they thought the Comet thing was okay. Or maybe they knew how F'd up it was but did it anyway.

Bugged me too. A cutesy moment that defies logic. Unless the public doesn't know that he's an alien.

Or it's been so long that people have just don't think about or don't really associate the word with him, especially those that are younger. There would be a whole generation of people in Supergirl were Superman has always existed for them. That's an interesting thing to touch upon I think. I don't think there has been a Superman related story were that has ever been a issue outside of maybe Legion of Super Hero stories..

I really would like to know why they thought the Comet thing was okay. Or maybe they knew how F'd up it was but did it anyway.

Our Ancestors were all kinds of fucked up. You know Sleipnir Odin's 6 legged horse? Guess who gave birth to it.

tumblr_m8zsg5fbCT1r1a7vio2_500.gif

50 years from now our great grand children will be looking back at us and saying "Damn, those mothafucka's was C-razy"

I feel like ratings are gonna be massive.

Yeah.

The pilot is cute but the villains are so cheese. Like pure stinky cheese lol. Dunno if I'm sticking with this.

The two in command seemed potentially fine once we're out of "pilot episode-itis".

Hopefully when she seemingly takes center stage next week, from the looks of that ep preview, they'll address this and flesh her character out when Kara recognizes her.

Might be worth it to wait till we get to some real named villain aside from those two before writing off the villains.

I can't really judge the future villains off of "pilot dude" since he was obviously just there mostly to have someone who could beat her up a bit and be willing to kill himself rather than give up more than a clue.

Or it's been so long that people have just don't think about or don't really associate the word with him, especially those that are younger. There would be a whole generation of people in Supergirl were Superman has always existed for them. That's an interesting thing to touch upon I think. I don't think there has been a Superman related story were that has ever been a issue outside of maybe Legion of Super Hero stories..

Apparently, Superman was basically used as a... psychological outlet by his editor in around the same time period, translating his issues directly to the page. Could be someone was using Superhorse in a similar fashion.

Ricker

Didnt we see of bunch of villains when they where at Headquarters scrolling on that big screen for a few seconds...an Orange face guy,someone purple like with a hood on, etc etc...that looked promising.

For anyone who watched both, were there any differences from the leaked pilot a few months back?

It was the same as the the leaked episode,yes.

Confirmed villains:
Maxwell Lord, Vartox (died in the pilot), Hellgrammite, Reactron, Livewire, Red Tornado, Non, Toyman, Kara's aunt

Effect

They likely don't want Superman's name to linger more then it has to otherwise people will be thinking about Superman instead of Supergirl. Referring to him is fine (you really can't not do that) but saying his name out loud might invoke stronger feelings and thoughts. That could be a reason.

ReiGun

I imagine the Superman thing will be ironed out in the coming episodes. I can't imagine the writers don't realize how grating it is, and how eventually it's just going to make Superman's absence that much more noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom