• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's just mention Superman constantly during the show.

I'm sure he's busy doing other stuff more important than saving earth from Zod-level baddies

This is what's turning me off. While i get living up to your cuzo's example do we have to mention him every time. its like if Arrowverse mentioned Barry or Oliver every time a hero in one show does something.

Fuuuuu! I need a gif or somthing, can't believe I missed it

4MzYyDO.gif

Episode 5 synopsis and pictures: http://www.supergirl.tv/supergirl-ep-5-synopsis

“Livewire” – Kara’s Thanksgiving may be ruined when she suspects her foster mother, Dr. Danvers (Helen Slater), who is coming to town, disapproves of her new role as a superhero. Also, when an accident transforms a volatile CatCo employee into the villainous Livewire, she targets Cat and Supergirl, on SUPERGIRL, Monday, Nov. 23 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Brit Morgan guest stars as Leslie Willis/Livewire and Helen Slater guest stars as Dr. Eliza Danvers, Kara’s foster mother.

Tabby

I keep watching it and can't help but wonder how many are going to get confused with the fact this isn't in universe with MOS.

Also, Cyborg Superman teases already. Hype.

Let's just mention Superman constantly during the show.

I'm sure he's busy doing other stuff more important than saving earth from Zod-level baddies

The problem really is that WB just won't let him appear.
If you hired a guy to play Superman for like one episode as the season final against something like Brainiac, etc there would be no problem with the references.

But at the same time Superman not existing would be just as bad.

To Recap:

Kara and Aunty have finally met and had their first fight.

Jimmy Olsen continues to be awesome.

Cyborg Superman tease.

Kryptonite has been introduced and is in knife form.

Closet of Solitude, holograms included.

Melissa Benoist continues to be the best Supergirl.

So much introduced and/or teased already, can't wait for what's next
Full speed ahead, CBS!

Effect

Can't believe they're playing the cyborg card so soon.

Episode was a lot better then the pilot and the pacing is better as well. Melissa Benoist continues to be great. Looks like we have another player as well. Seems Astra is reporting to someone else it looks like. I doubt it's Zod but Non is suppose to be in the show so maybe it's him.

I am really glad we're going to be getting flashbacks to Krypton. I love when they explore that in any version. I really do hope we get to see Zor-El at some point. We do get to see Lara along side Jor-El when Clark gets to talk to them in the fortress in different versions. It annoyed in Man of Steel there wasn't away to see more of her in Man of Steel. To be honest I just wanted to see more of Ayelet Zurer.

I also would like to see a flashback for James back to when he was younger. Sucks that he's still in Superman's shadow. Now he's in Supergirl's shadow and there has to be some push back on that at some point. That would make for some interesting drama and character development for him.

I'm also hoping as the season goes by we see more of Alex outside of just being a DEO agent.

KevinCow

Banned
I dunno. I'm not super feeling this show yet. Like it's not bad, but it doesn't get me pumped like Flash and Arrow. I don't really care about the characters yet, the writing is meh, and the action isn't great.

I'll keep watching though, partly because she's so adorable.

So THAT'S how they're using Superman. Pretty smart, actually. Saw it coming before they blatantly explained it, but really, I shoulda saw it coming awhile ago. Or maybe shoulda given Berlanti credit for seeing it and deciding not to sidestep Superman at all. Anyway, I dig it. I maybe don't dig how on-the-nose Cat's explanation of it was, but I also like how it doesn't also just apply to Kara, but to James as well. That was one of the better scenes in this episode (which was absolutely better than the pilot)

Although I'm going back and you guys are saying you're hearing the Superman theme, or the Krypton theme. Nah. That wasn't in there. Pretty sure WB retired it after Smallville, but even if they hadn't - it wasn't in this episode.

I like how fast it's moving, too. Good stuff.

man these aliens ambitions need to go big and focus than more than one city. lol

I don't like her acting when she's getting punch. it felt forced

anaron

honestly, I'm kinda over having an issue with the Superman stuff. it's clear that a core part of the show is escaping the comparisons his looming presence causes for Kara and how to emerge from the shadow of someone else and I'm here for that because it ties so nicely to Supergirl's historical standing.

honestly, I'm kinda over having an issue with the Superman stuff.

Most people will probably move past it too after tonight's episode, considering how directly they hammered home the reasoning behind leaving him in this universe when they could have just written him out.

He's not just humanity's measuring stick, but like Cat said: He's the mechanism by which we're going to see that even being Supergirl isn't going to be good enough for some people. That not even Kara's gonna be able to duck out from underneath the bullshit expectations and assumptions that women have tossed at them.

Yes, those people will be misusing the example that Superman is setting, but poking around those notions is going to prompt some storytelling possibilities the show might otherwise not have.

Granted, they're hammering at 'em pretty hard (this is two episodes in a row now where Calista Flockhart pretty much verbalizes the feminist thesis of the show in a single monologue) but considering the size of the general audience they're yelling to, being really obvious about it probably isn't a bad call.

Sober

I also would like to see a flashback for James back to when he was younger. Sucks that he's still in Superman's shadow. Now he's in Supergirl's shadow and there has to be some push back on that at some point. That would make for some interesting drama and character development for him.
Well it seemed pretty obvious he and Kara sorta share the same track, but she seems to be more likely to work with a team vs. this version of Superman being lone wolf more or less, so Jimmy will be less in the shadow of a superhero and more at her side.

So THAT'S how they're using Superman. Pretty smart, actually. Saw it coming before they blatantly explained it, but really, I shoulda saw it coming awhile ago. Or maybe shoulda given Berlanti credit for seeing it and deciding not to sidestep Superman at all. Anyway, I dig it. I maybe don't dig how on-the-nose Cat's explanation of it was, but I also like how it doesn't also just apply to Kara, but to James as well. That was one of the better scenes in this episode (which was absolutely better than the pilot)

Although I'm going back and you guys are saying you're hearing the Superman theme, or the Krypton theme. Nah. That wasn't in there. Pretty sure WB retired it after Smallville, but even if they hadn't - it wasn't in this episode.

I like how fast it's moving, too. Good stuff.
Yeah I think it's fine if they just keep Superman mostly local to Metropolis vs. making him global protector. At least that makes it so they don't need to go extinction-level event on Supergirl/National City or make people wonder why Superman doesn't just show up, punch a few dudes and call it a day.

anaron

Most people will probably move past it too after tonight's episode, considering how directly they hammered home the reasoning behind leaving him in this universe when they could have just written him out.

He's not just humanity's measuring stick, but like Cat said: He's the mechanism by which we're going to see that even being Supergirl isn't going to be good enough for some people. That not even Kara's gonna be able to duck out from underneath the bullshit expectations and assumptions that women have tossed at them.

Yes, those people will be misusing the example that Superman is setting, but poking around those notions is going to prompt some storytelling possibilities the show might otherwise not have.

Granted, they're hammering at 'em pretty hard (this is two episodes in a row now where Calista Flockhart pretty much verbalizes the feminist thesis of the show in a single monologue) but considering the size of the general audience they're yelling to, being really obvious about it probably isn't a bad call.

how did you like the second ep, Bobby?

Oh shit, I never actually said whether I liked it overall, did I.

I liked it! The characterization is moving along nicely. These people all feel like people - even Cat Grant. Well, kinda. She's still more caricature than anything, but she's starting to acquire a solid second dimension. I liked the bit about her taking the gossip job not because she liked it, but because that's all Perry would toss at her. I felt that was actually one of the better comics references the show's done, because it flipped comics convention a little, especially if you're familiar with the more common incarnations of the character.

Skux

Good "rookie superhero" episode.

- Nice to see them say "Superman" more than once this time. It was almost like some Voldemort-type situation. And hell they even name dropped Clark Kent, Lois Lane, and pretty much everyone in the damn DC universe.

- The suit has definitely had some improvements, or maybe it's the lighting, but Benoist looked amazing in it. Has she also been working out? Her arms looked big in the balcony scene with Jimmy, like a rower's.

- That look when Supergirl pulls the boat apart was priceless! Although, cargo isn't kept in the front of boats lol. There is absolutely zero chance of oil leaking into the water by breaking the front 5 metres off an oil tanker.

- Flying fight scene was clumsy as hell. Weird mix of wirework, CG, and really choppy editing.

- What's with the bloom filter at Catco? Makes everything look like a daytime soap.

- There are some great messages in the writing, even though they are super obvious. Stuff like not being ashamed to ask for help, trusting people etc, is nice to hear.

- Melissa in those grey pants. Oh goodness.

- Can already sense the awkward love triangle between Kara Jimmy and Wynn.

- How does Astra and Kara not know about Kryptonite but the DEO does? I feel like they've forgotten the exposition around this.

only 13 minutes in but really not feeling this after being iffy about episode one. the more i watch the more i wish it was a close-ish adaption of nu52 supergirl.

edit: also cbs online sucks. like five ads every fake ad break that load in at 720p while the actual show struggles to be 480p. plus you don't get detailed bitrate stuff like cw's player gives you.

also cw's player works with ad block and cbs's doesn't

AMUSIX

Action sequences in this show are so hard not to laugh at. You've got the brilliant "fire pistols from one moving vehicle to the other" plan to trap a super-being, and the whole mid-air slap fight...and then, for some reason, they decided to make the biologist sister also the hand-to-hand combat expert. Supergirl just looks like she has zero power behind her punches, and nothing seems to connect at all.

Oh, and the general rule is that kryptonians under a yellow sun are some of the strongest, toughest, most powered individuals out there. So an evil one shows up, who is bigger, stronger, and more experienced...and you DON'T call your cousin? "I wanted to show that I can do it on my own" does not fly.

But, yeah, she's cute...and the show isn't worse than the other superhero fare out there.

Honestly, I think people are underplaying just how GOOD a start this is for a network television superhero show. A few years ago, we have the first season of Arrow, which wanted to downplay even its street level heroics to such a degree that the life was sucked out of the concept until they finally let the handcuffs off. Then a year later, Agents of SHIELD, same thing, trying to do comics without the comics.

Now we have a show on CBS of all places that has basically gone all in on its concept in its first two episodes. No dancing around her powers or easing into the concept with mundane enemies. Shes already fought two aliens, we've seen a cabal of evil Kryptonians, shes also told a ton of people about her so we don't need endless secrecy plots.

This is an incredible start, especially when you consider the million ways they could have pussyfooted around this.

"you chose to let it be this way instead of allying with your family. you might want to rethink your cape."

umm, aunt is as much family as cousin is, innit?

edit: also lol fake fortress of solitude in the middle of the government agency. that's not going to backfire in any way possible..

Honestly, I think people are underplaying just how GOOD a start this is for a network television superhero show. A few years ago, we have the first season of Arrow, which wanted to downplay even its street level heroics to such a degree that the life was sucked out of the concept until they finally let the handcuffs off. Then a year later, Agents of SHIELD, same thing, trying to do comics without the comics.

Now we have a show on CBS of all places that has basically gone all in on its concept in its first two episodes. No dancing around her powers or easing into the concept with mundane enemies. Shes already fought two aliens, we've seen a cabal of evil Kryptonians, shes also told a ton of people about her so we don't need endless secrecy plots.

This is an incredible start, especially when you consider the million ways they could have pussyfooted around this.

arrow s1 for all of its flaws was still far above what supergirl is at this point. the only reason they've jumped straight in is that its the same production company as flash (which also happened to jump straight in btw)/arrow who have got this sort of thing firgured out already.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The superhero bits are alright, but all the stuff at the newspaper and at the super duper secret government base are really really awful.

Calista Flockheart in particular is just atrocious. This diet Devil Wears Prada shit is going to become maddening very very quickly.

The superhero bits are alright, but all the stuff at the newspaper and at the super duper secret government base are really really awful.

Calista Flockheart in particular is just atrocious. This diet Devil Wears Prada shit is going to become maddening very very quickly.

i agree. rather than endearing like it should be, all of kara's awkwardness in front of cat grant is just cringeworthy, which makes all of that stuff just unbearable. the whole government base thing too is very grating as it doesn't really line up to the character very well...or really any major superhero tbh, but i guess that's still forgiveable as long as they are able to do interesting things with it, but they really haven't so far.

i gave gotham half a season before i bailed on that horrible mess and it was far worse than this, so i'll stay tuned to see if it gets any better...but so far it has some work to do.

Still wonky in spots but good improvement over the pilot, I wish we could replace some of Kara's cousins with "Kal", assuming his Kryptonian name is known. There's no way they can have this show go without actually having Clark/Superman at some point making an appearance unless they kill him off.

Watch ads so the views actually count.

Hopefully Ollie makes a flashback.....
Ollie hit on her before...

Something something Diggle something island something something.

I had issues with the last fight.

Kara throws her once and thinks its over?

Henshaw could stab her (an evil kryptonian) in the chest and kill her but goes for her arm? Which assuming that was kryptonite didn't weaken her.

Also if not-Zod wanted to capture a DEO agent, what was stopping her?

Maybe he didn't want to kill her? Plus an arm stab would probably be better than a heart stab on a Kryptonian who would probably still be strong enough to snap your neck before dying.

jurgen

That actually was pretty alright for the first post-pilot episode. It's obviously watered down a little bit for CBS, but I'm pleasantly surprised that Berlanti and Kreisberg are already throwing so much stuff at us: Maxwell Lord, Cyborg Superman, Astra, Hellgrammite, Closet of Solitude, etc.

There was a pretty good interview with Kreisberg in Variety a few weeks back where he described their writing and production mentality for Arrow, Flash, and Supergirl:

We're constantly thinking of what we can do to make every episode bigger, grander, and more exciting. We're constantly seeing what we can fit in and writing as if we'll never get another season. That's why you saw us going all out with The Flash last year. We put Grodd, Captain Cold, and all those guys in because we didn't want to waste an opportunity. Expect a bit of that in Supergirl this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom