• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

Should've done this from the beginning, I think people would've cared more. Now it reeks as a desperate move to boost ratings.

CBS was stubborn, they thought they could make a standalone superhero show when it's obvious that doesn't fly around anymore (Gotham being the exception here), they should've been honest and say this was part of the Arrowverse from the beginning. Might be a bit late by May for this show IMO.

Nothing has changed though. The show was created under the option for crossovers and it's just been a matter of when.

Kara will just from Earth 3 as Barry and Oliver will be to her.

Volimar

Nothing has changed though. The show was created under the option for crossovers and it's just been a matter of when.

I bet they'll all be from the same Earth and the creative teams just won't give a shit about why they never mentioned each other or Superman on any of the arrowverse shows.

ericexpo

I bet they'll all be from the same Earth and the creative teams just won't give a shit about why they never mentioned each other or Superman on any of the arrowverse shows.

Rather they do this, even if they never mention it the idea that they could be more connected

Rather they do this, even if they never mention it the idea that they could be more connected

It wouldn't make any sense though. Everyone in the Arrowverse was shocked when metahumans started appearing which they shouldn't have been if Superman had been flying around for years.

Magwik

Banned

And if the opportunity ever arises, Gotham will be Earth-4

Volimar

It wouldn't make any sense though. Everyone in the Arrowverse was shocked when metahumans started appearing which they shouldn't have been if Superman had been flying around for years.

The creative team's response

7q2WFPf.gif

Probably.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Ah Okay.
So I do not watch Arrow, only Flash. So would there be major contradictions?
Yeah, quite a big one. Arrow started 4 years ago with no known meta humans. Superman being active for 12 years or so would be highly public and known, no matter where you lived. Hence, it would have to be an Earth 3 or something for it to make sense.

MartyStu

Yeah, quite a big one. Arrow started 4 years ago with no known meta humans. Superman being active for 12 years or so would be highly public and known, no matter where you lived. Hence, it would have to be an Earth 3 or something for it to make sense.

Or the future...

The people of Starling City could have just assumed that Superman was the Daily Planet's version of Bat Boy.

bat-boy-WWN.jpeg

On a side note, a Flash / Supergirl crossover has to include PowerGirl coming over from Earth 2.

Compbros

Considering they had 52 portals (I see you writing staff) then it could be anything. Zoom could cause instability and several realities could collide in some "Crisis on Infinite Earths"-Esque storyline between the 3 shows.

It's Thanksgiving, and people love mashed potato, but like that... take this with a grain of salt...

Supergirl may meet a certain Scarlet Speedster in May if ratings decline more...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11...ras-usually-have-about-22-episodes-per-seaso/

so you're telling me not to watch the show?

I already missed this monday's episode, slipped my mind. Disappointed to see ratings slip after livewire episode, thought it was the best one yet.

To be fair he is an alien and not a meta human. I know that metahuman is catch all for everything in the books, but Arrow/Flash haven't really dealt with aliens yet.

Maddocks

The easy fix and the fix they should use because having it take place in the main universe is dumb is just have it be Earth-3 and call it a day. Have the singularity happen above national city in that universe and boom. No need to have them connected in the same universe when they have endless ones they can toy with.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Or the future...
Maybe? Have they put a date on any of the papers or screens in Supergirl yet? I haven't paid attention to that.

The people of Starling City could have just assumed that Superman was the Daily Planet's version of Bat Boy.

bat-boy-WWN.jpeg

On a side note, a Flash / Supergirl crossover has to include PowerGirl coming over from Earth 2.
That's actually kinda hilarious. But I think 12 years of a super being flying around a city and saving countless people and being photographed, would be hard to swallow as a myth at that point.

Considering they had 52 portals (I see you writing staff) then it could be anything. Zoom could cause instability and several realities could collide in some "Crisis on Infinite Earths"-Esque storyline between the 3 shows.
Probably the best idea yet. If it came down to it and they need to merge the shows for whatever reason, Zoom and his portals would be the way to handle it.

so you're telling me not to watch the show?

I already missed this monday's episode, slipped my mind. Disappointed to see ratings slip after livewire episode, thought it was the best one yet.

To be fair he is an alien and not a meta human. I know that metahuman is catch all for everything in the books, but Arrow/Flash haven't really dealt with aliens yet.
True, but Diggle would seem to be the guy to say something or not be AS shocked when he saw the Flash or in the episode with Constantine, he only mentions metahumans, magic, and resurrections.

Of course, don't forget we have Rip Hunter mentioning Dark Knights and Men of Steel, so who knows.

The easy fix and the fix they should use because having it take place in the main universe is dumb is just have it be Earth-3 and call it a day. Have the singularity happen above national city in that universe and boom. No need to have them connected in the same universe when they have 52 they can toy with.
Fixed.

The easy fix and the fix they should use because having it take place in the main universe is dumb is just have it be Earth-3 and call it a day. Have the singularity happen above national city in that universe and boom. No need to have them connected in the same universe when they have endless ones they can toy with.

Pretty much exactly this. Flash introducing the multiverse gives them an essentially endless sandbox to play with, especially once they introduce more reliable methods of traveling between them. Want to use a character in a new and exciting way, but you've already introduced their more conventional counterpart? Bring in the Earth-43 version! Supergirl crossover done, just like that.

No, it's infinite again.

Chichikov

Honest question (directed not necessarily at you specifically) are people seriously bothered by that or is just making conversation and observations?
Because it's pretty damn obvious why no one in the Arrow universe knows about Superman, it's because there wasn't an Supergirl tv show when it started.
Sorry for being captain obvious, but those are just TV shows, they put them in the same "universe" because they think crossovers might be fun down the road.
And yeah, it doesn't make 100% coherent sense, but for fuck's sake, it's a show about a girl who can fly and shoot lasers from her eyes, is this really where you draw line on the suspension of disbelief?

I know some fans demand such things, but I think it just end up hurting those shows, I'd much rather they just try to make the best stories that they can rather than worry all that much about canon and universe bibles. You just end up with a bunch of clunky lampshading, I say fuck it, if you can't explain, you don't need to explain it, just ignore the issue and move along.

Magwik

Banned
Honest question (directed not necessarily at you specifically) are people seriously bothered by that or is just making conversation and observations?
Because it's pretty damn obvious why no one in the Arrow universe knows about Superman, it's because there wasn't an Supergirl tv show when it started.
Sorry for being captain obvious, but those are just TV shows, they put them in the same "universe" because they think crossovers might be fun down the road.
And yeah, it doesn't make 100% coherent sense, but for fuck's sake, it's a show about a girl who can fly and shoot lasers from her eyes, is this really where you draw line on the suspension of disbelief?

I know some fans demand such things, but I think it just end up hurting those shows, I'd much rather they just try to make the best stories that they can rather than worry all that much about canon and universe bibles. You just end up with a bunch of clunky lampshading, I say fuck it, if you can't explain, you don't need to explain it, just ignore the issue and move along.
Retroactively just tossing in the entire spectrum of Superman/Supergirl lore as well as their respective cities completely shits on the world building and work done for the first two seasons of Arrow as well as the first season of the Flash. Is it beleievable that it can exist within the world created? Absolutely. But just pretending it was always that was shows no respect for those who built it and the fans who stuck through everything.

Skux

Yes the comic shows have crazy rules but they are still rules. The "there was no Supergirl TV show before now" reasoning completely breaks the fourth wall and the way the Arrow/Flash universe has been built these past few years.

If you care about story integrity as you say, you can't just suddenly introduce superpowered aliens (including Superman) and just happen to have him and Supergirl (and all the villains that Superman has battled before Supergirl's story) as having been there the whole time and just never mentioned.

danielcw

Thanks for the answer.
Now that I think about it, even in the recent up to date episodes of Flash's season 2 people seem to be amazed by Metahumans and their powers.
That does not seem to fit a world, in which Supergirl defeated a villian, that Superman had to deal with before.

Flashpoint Paradox?
I would not mind merging the world of Supergirl retroactively with Flash and Arrow.
(and maybe add some Smallville stuff)
As somebody else said: Flash is already using time travel and multiple dimensions use it.

Retroactively just tossing in the entire spectrum of Superman/Supergirl lore as well as their respective cities completely shits on the world building and work done for the first two seasons of Arrow as well as the first season of the Flash. Is it beleievable that it can exist within the world created? Absolutely. But just pretending it was always that was shows no respect for those who built it and the fans who stuck through everything.

Okay- so Reverse Flash knocked Superman's rocket off course, causing him to be found either by the US government or Russia, ensuring that the Justice League would never form, taking away Barry's backup.

Cisco vibes this, and Barry goes back in time to make sure Clark lands in Smallville. This then folds Supergirl continuity into the Arrowverse.

Volimar

I think the Rip Hunter mention in the trailer of
dark knights and men of steel
pretty much seals the deal that they're just going to slip it into the Arrowverse like it was always there.

anaron

Exactly what I said. People need to realize how easy it is to crossover by using the multiverse

Finally got around to watching the latest episode. That end confrontation was so poorly acted by Benoist. You could see her try to keep that serious face but did the whole "gotta vibrate my head slightly to show how angry I am with you!"

His plan was to make this guy bomb places to test her? Shit, I thought you were a smart man, Lord.

The friend zone. This love shit ruins these shows. Why can't superheroes be serious or fun without the relationship baggage? These are never even the good parts of the show. So cringe worthy seeing Betamax dude get sad whenever Kara goes for former geek turned hunk Jimmy.

Joni

If only there was an event that had the potential to rewrite the history of the Arrowverse, maybe some idiots playing around with a timeline of tomorrow or yesterday. They'd have to introduce a time traveller, but that wouldn't be a problem. I already know the ideal candidate: H.G. Wells, who can easily be renamed to Harrison Wells. If they can't do Wells, well there is still Rip Hunter but they'd never do a live action version of him. Greatest scenario would be bringing back Lane Davies as Tempus.

But Superman is an alien. Who thought that meant there could be other guys with weird powers not from space? There are some some shows that have tried that route.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

No offense taken, but I think the guys above have said what I would've said. At the end of the day, I have no control over what they decide to do so I'll have to live with it, but I would just hope they'd respect their viewers enough to at least try to make some sense out of it. That's all I really ask for.

Bluth54

Yeah unless Supergirl takes place on a different Earth then Flash and Arrow (which of course is possible there there are 2 Earths on Flash now) it would be really awkward to crossover the shows. Supergirl feels like it was designed to be stand alone.

They best not use earth 3 for the earth Supergirl lives on, that is traditionally the Crime Syndicate's Earth. I'd love to see them use that at some point.

I think the Rip Hunter mention in the trailer of
dark knights and men of steel
pretty much seals the deal that they're just going to slip it into the Arrowverse like it was always there.

nah, arrow and Flash will form the JSA, Supes and Bat's will come later and form the JLA,

Should've done this from the beginning, I think people would've cared more. Now it reeks as a desperate move to boost ratings.

CBS was stubborn, they thought they could make a standalone superhero show when it's obvious that doesn't fly around anymore (Gotham being the exception here), they should've been honest and say this was part of the Arrowverse from the beginning. Might be a bit late by May for this show IMO.

Could the show survive Kara getting stranded in the Arrowverse?

And if the opportunity ever arises, Gotham will be Earth-4

I wanna see a Earth 5 crossover where Oliver meets Justin Hartley Arrow.

Satch

Banned
hey girls, is this show good, i just finished jessica jones and i just started episode one of daredevil but im lowkey not even paying attention because i highkey dont care about Daredevil at all

anyway thanks for the help

anaron

hey girls, is this show good, i just finished jessica jones and i just started episode one of daredevil but im lowkey not even paying attention because i highkey dont care about Daredevil at all

Yes.

While it suffers a bit from "the first five episodes are pilots" syndrome and figuring itself out by laying down foundations and the romantic relationship angle is totally blah, the characters are charming and the unabashedly cheeriness and optimism is very refreshing and endearing.

The special effects, music and general direction is fantastic, too.

Finaika

It's good.

Toa TAK

Banned

It's not on the same level as those shows at all, if that's what you're looking for. It has its charm, but it just started really picking up a couple episodes ago.

Joni

Daredevil and Jessica Jones aren't comparable to the Berlanti shows. Even Arrow is a lot happier as a show nowadays. So depending on which way you want to go, Supergirl is a good choice. It wouldn't be bad to first to The FLash if you haven't seen that one yet.

It's not on the same level as those shows at all, if that's what you're looking for. It has its charm, but it just started really picking up a couple episodes ago.
There are also only five episodes.

Satch

Banned
MAX LORD IS IN THIS? MY NEMESIS.......................................................

also kara is serving arms in her suit

edit: clark talking to her on IM
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
so cute
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png

the sisters bonding
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png

All three of those shows are trying to do something different. Even Arrow and Flash are not the same style, and they exist in the same universe.

Don't go into Supergirl expecting Jessica Jones. Too many comic geeks are doing that.

Skux

All three of those shows are trying to do something different. Even Arrow and Flash are not the same style, and they exist in the same universe.

Don't go into Supergirl expecting Jessica Jones. Too many comic geeks are doing that.

Yeah Supergirl is definitely on the more "wholesome family drama" side of the spectrum. Yeah it's about an alien woman with superpowers, but that's really a vehicle for how Kara learns about relationships, teamwork, family, and finding her place in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom