• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilhawk

Thanks for the Jessica Jones spoiler.

Come into a DC show thread to see if this show is anymore than crap and instead you get spoiled for future seasons of a Marvel one.

Dalek

k2jccWh.gif

Looks like I'll be catching up on this show tommorow.

Martian Manhunter? That's all you had to say!

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I thought that entire episode was firing on all cylinders. I wasn't bored by any of the subplots and thought this was one of (if not) the best "hero losing powers" episode of TV I've seen. Nothing felt too corny or forced (well except for Kara's line about what could go wrong, then 1 second later an earthquake hits, but whatever) and the acting seemed to be a step up. Hope this keeps on trucking cause I'm enjoying the ride thus far.

anaron

I thought the scene with Kara trying to save the dying man and being completely unable to do anything was one of the most affecting scenes I've seen in any superhero media.

Excellent episode - the reveal at the end was fucking awesome. Maybe there is still hope for this show as well.

I thought the scene with Kara trying to save the dying man and being completely unable to do anything was one of the most affecting scenes I've seen in any superhero media.

Agreed. That was quite a scene.

Oh shit SORRY! Spoiler tagging right now!
You should also tag it as a Jessica Jones spoiler (which I kind of think it isn't, and I'd argue the SHIELD bit is closer to spoiler territory than the JJ bit is, but whatever floats people's boats) since it's now a contextless black bar.

So, those crazy fans that didn't know who Hank Henshaw was at all and were just blindly guessing he was Martian Manhunter because of the red eyes were right. Huh.

Take THAT, comic know-it-alls.

Watch all the Supergirl haters creep out of the woodworks, eating crow

For what? They included a character that is great, doesn't make the tired stories and generally crappy season so far suddenly good.

Dryk

Superman stories always seem to be at their best when pushing the "you have all this power, but even can't save everyone angle". Supergirl has the inexperience angle to work too because she's still young but I think that Superman tends to boil down the "he's Superman, of course he'll save the day" thing that runs beneath most superhero media which gives them room to focus on the how and more importantly the occasional failure.

I saw those red eyes a while back and felt like an idiot for thinking it was the martian manhunter. But in hindsight "Hank Henshaw" is too obvious and way too much of a misleading name.

Ricker

Okay so since I watched last nights episode,I looked up some reviews and comments and all about the Martian Manhunter, since I dont really know MM and I got spoilered a bit,not sure they will do this with him now but
he occasionally turns into a Dragon...? holy shit,thats cool lol

oh...that wasnt the winter break finale...

thank god
Yeah,one more to go...Kara doesnt know about MM yet,cant wait to see her reaction...surely Alex will tell her even though MM said not to tell anyone...?

SeppOCE

Wow that was an amazing twist with Hank Henshaw not actually being the Cyborg Superman the show was misleading him towards, Martian fucking Manhunter ! This episode was the first episode of this season so far on par with the flash I really hope it continues to stay this good.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Not everyone follows the comics/lore. My first exposure to JJ was through the show.

This is ridiculous.

Jessica and Luke have been married for 10 years for Gods sake and have been a couple much longer.
The statute of limitations has long run out.

Complaining about POSSIBLE spoilers for a show that isn't translating it's source material 100% is next level spoiler culture nonsense. The Agents of SHIELD stuff he posted he is more of a spoiler than that.

vypek

Okay so since I watched last nights episode,I looked up some reviews and comments and all about the Martian Manhunter, since I dont really know MM and I got spoilered a bit,not sure they will do this with him now but
he occasionally turns into a Dragon...? holy shit,thats cool lol

Yeah,one more to go...Kara doesnt know about MM yet,cant wait to see her reaction...surely Alex will tell her even though MM said not to tell anyone...?

It is cool. Lol. I only saw it in the Justice League cartoon...which is excellent

Even though I nitpick this show to hell and back, I still watch every week.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I would kill myself if I as Winn after this episode lol... Holy shit dude is catching Ls non stop.

Who does he think he is telling Kara who she can or cannot date? The writers don't really know how a love triangle works if one option is constantly being shitted on while the other one is shown as the flawless dude.

Cat continues to be the character on the show... :eek:

Penguin

I would kill myself if I as Winn after this episode lol... Holy shit dude is catching Ls non stop.

Who does he think he is telling Kara who she can or cannot date? The writers don't really know how a love triangle works if one option is constantly being shitted on while the other one is shown as the flawless dude.

Cat continues to be the character on the show... :eek:

Well he was half-right, James does have a girlfriend so it shouldn't be something she pursues, but yeah...

RS4-

Goddamn, so good. And this is coming from someone that has read zero super girl comics, and has seen MM in like 20 seconds of that animated show.

Dean Cain cyborg, make it happen.

And the only legit fight in MoS was the Faora one.

Toa TAK

Banned

Well he was half-right, James does have a girlfriend so it shouldn't be something she pursues, but yeah...

Yeah, I think they kinda fumbled it a bit there. Maybe it should've came from someone who wasn't Winn (Cat?), but you get his point. He's trying to tell her to be realistic about who she is in this situation with James. She's probably going to outlive him (if we're going by the comics), and she shouldn't be pursuing him while he's trying to rebuild a relationship with Lane. She should know better for the latter especially.

Only issue is that it should've stopped once Winn saw them, delivered the news and just walked out shaken. But then he delivers his whiny rant and while he's on point, it's just the matter of the messenger. The message could've been taken from someone who wasn't lusting over someone they can't reach either.

Toa TAK

Banned
It doesn't really matter that he has romantic feelings or if the underlying sentiment is jealously, he's still right.

Totally. I though, I don't think Kara got the hint.

Also, did anyone else see that her strap was completely off at one point in the episode? Like, right after they cut into the office it's just floating there over her shoulder. lol

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah, I think they kinda fumbled it a bit there. Maybe it it came from someone who wasn't Winn (Cat?), but you get his point. He's trying to tell her to be realistic about who she is in this situation with James. She's probably going to outlive him (if we're going by the comics), and she shouldn't be pursuing him while he's trying to rebuild a relationship with Lane. She should know better for the latter especially.

Only issue is that it should've stopped once Winn saw them, delivered the news and just walked out shaken. But then he delivers his whiny rant and while he's on point, it's just the matter of the messenger. The message could've been taken from someone who wasn't lusting over someone they can't reach either.

You guys are right which leads to the point that even if Winn has something correct to say the delivery makes him catch an L. I mean he got them back on air this episode only to be shitted on more often than usual by Cat.

I'm always kinda rooting for the underdog so I hope dude cam step up his game soon... Not just in regard to Kara but in general.

JCreasy

Y'all know Winn
is going to be a villain right? He's Toyman. They winked at this when they referenced all the toys he has on his desk a few episodes back. And I think Lord will be his Lex Luthor. The heavy hinting that Winn is a Lord super fan feels too deliberate. Lord wil use his toys as weapons and Toyman will try and assasinate him

IconGrist

Y'all know Winn
is going to be a villain right? He's Toyman. They winked at this when they referenced all the toys he has on his desk a few episodes back. And I think Lord will be his Lex Luthor. The heavy hinting that Winn is a Lord super fan feels too deliberate. Lord wil use his toys as weapons and Toyman will try and assasinate him

Except they already said his dad is in prison. Winn is a junior.

Effect

It is increasingly looking like Kara is Winn's only female or only friend. Even before James showed up why was he basing his life around her when it was clear from episode 1 she wasn't interested in him like that and was actively trying to date. It's such one side jealousy that I agree makes anything he says, even if he is right, make him look like the loser in that situation.

I wouldn't even call this a love triangle. Kara and James clearly have feelings for each other but don't know how to act on them. I still question if James even wants to be with Lucy and that's going to come to ahead the more and more he connects with Kara to the point where I think they will end up together. Winn is just stewing in his own pity at this point and that's not going to make Kara take notice of him and change her feelings toward him.

I also think they might need to rethink what they're doing here story wise and with the actor. Even with him calling Kara out I didn't care because I felt the scene between her and James worked so well and the chemistry between the two actors was that good. It made want that pairing to work out even with Lucy being part of the situation.

If the show runners and writers see this as well then maybe this whole thing could be over soon. The show and story is strong enough without the jealousy angle. At least as far as Winn is concerned. I'd much better see him having more agency

Volimar

It is increasingly looking like Kara is Winn's only female or only friend. Even before James showed up why was he basing his life around her when it was clear from episode 1 she wasn't interested in him like that and was actively trying to date. It's such one side jealousy that I agree makes anything he says, even if he is right, make him look like the loser in that situation.

I wouldn't even call this a love triangle. Kara and James clearly have feelings for each other but don't know how to act on them. I still question if James even wants to be with Lucy and that's going to come to ahead the more and more he connects with Kara to the point where I think they will end up together. Winn is just stewing in his own pity at this point and that's not going to make Kara take notice of him and change her feelings toward him.

I also think they might need to rethink what they're doing here story wise and with the actor. Even with him calling Kara out I didn't care because I felt the scene between her and James worked so well and the chemistry between the two actors was that good. It made want that pairing to work out even with Lucy being part of the situation.

If the show runners and writers see this as well then maybe this whole thing could be over soon. The show and story is strong enough without the jealousy angle. At least as far as Winn is concerned. I'd much better see him having more agency

Just give Winn a torrid weekend with Power Girl.

Y'all know Winn

He knows way, way too much for that to be realistic.
You can't have recurring villains know literally everything there is to know about the heroes. He even knows Clark Kent is Superman! If they really do go that route they would have to have him forget certain things or kill him off quickly because he knows way more than is feasibly possible to write around.

He knows way, way too much for that to be realistic.
You can't have recurring villains know literally everything there is to know about the heroes. He even knows Clark Kent is Superman! If they really do go that route they would have to have him forget certain things or kill him off quickly because he knows way more than is feasibly possible to write around.
There is a way for him to forget

he could be a toy android created by papa toyman

JCreasy

Except they already said his dad is in prison. Winn is a junior.

My gut feeling is that Winn admonishing Kara looked like mildly unhinged petulance for a reason.
I think it's a bread crumb for what could be unhealthy infatuation. That could be the beginnings of his "villain's journey," junior or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom