• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl S2 |OT| The Sky's the Limit - Mondays 8/7c on The CW

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
I for one am shocked.

This show is massively channeling Whedon vibes now, even in the casting. Just swap monsters for aliens.

They had better make Megan watch her favorite tv show like in another show that we all love! That would make her a better fit with our current crew.

Hello Megan!

I was thinking that her talk about the White Martian that broke rank was a bit on the nose, but I wasn't sure if they were going to go there. Interesting that they just went ahead and put it out there instead of letting it drag a bit longer.

ZeroX03

Banned
They had better make Megan watch her favorite tv show like in another show that we all love! That would make her a better fit with our current crew.

Hello Megan!

I really think people need to temper their expectations with how much the DC TV shows are going to take cues from Young Justice. I don't think any of the producers have seen the show (well Geoff Johns, but he isn't around), they were all actively working from the 2000s on. That's why they tend to be nostalgic and referential toward The Flash (1990) than recent stuff like Smallville.

LionPride

Banned
I really think people need to temper their expectations with how much the DC TV shows are going to take cues from Young Justice. I don't think any of the producers have seen the show (well Geoff Johns, but he isn't around), they were all actively working from the 2000s on. That's why they tend to be nostalgic and referential toward The Flash (1990) than recent stuff like Smallville.

Thank Christ

You know Reverse Flash, you really are the worst ;_;

I know. Chances of it happening are slim to none.

I was thinking that her talk about the White Martian that broke rank was a bit on the nose, but I wasn't sure if they were going to go there. Interesting that they just went ahead and put it out there instead of letting it drag a bit longer.

I certainly didn't really expect them to come right out with it.

This show is going full Angel in its world building. It started last episode but this one really solidifies it. I really dig it. I'm also surprised they did the miss Martian reveal already. Figured they'd space it out some. Fun episode. Good casting of Roulette

Did they air Supergirl S1 episodes in the wrong order

I see Lucy Lane and James being fine in one ep and they're long broken up in the next

Finished episode 3 yesterday. I think I'm liking this season better than 1. Now with the bar and all, this show is reminding me of MIB. I didn't expect them to make Miss Martian black too. It adds an even deeper layer. A white martian that wants be green, but is also taking the appearance of another oppressed group, black women.

lol what the fuck

I'm watching S1 for the first time and is Lucy Lane really on some CW ish with this shit, she goin for Supergirl for fightin

Shaanyboi

Banned
Did they air Supergirl S1 episodes in the wrong order

I see Lucy Lane and James being fine in one ep and they're long broken up in the next
Acouple episodes had their order switched due to a bombing that weekend, and a bombing being a prominent point in one of the episodes.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
As someone unfamiliar with the comics, I had no idea what that twist was supposed to mean. I didn't
recognize the alien species. White Martian
makes sense, though. I actually didn't think the story about the
White Martian who broke rank
was hinting at anything, but in hindsight, I totally should have seen that coming. Especially with
Megan repeatedly saying that she becomes whatever she needs to to survive.
It all comes together now.

Luigi87

As someone unfamiliar with the comics, I had no idea what that twist was supposed to mean. I didn't
recognize the alien species. White Martian
makes sense, though. I actually didn't think the story about the
White Martian who broke rank
was hinting at anything, but in hindsight, I totally should have seen that coming. Especially with
Megan repeatedly saying that she becomes whatever she needs to to survive.
It all comes together now.

There was a White Martian in season 1.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
There was a White Martian in season 1.

Oh really? I guess I forgot that. I also missed a few episodes of the first season, and after looking up the plot that involved the White Martian, that could have been one of the episodes I missed.

jb1234

I hope we get more Winn/Mon-El scenes. I see great friendship material there and Winn definitely needs more to do. This wasn't a bad episode but definitely a step down from the first three of the season.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/its-alien-vs-alien-supergirls-fight-club-245160

I do think the show is legitimately building to an Alex/Maggie romance (just look at Alex’s disappointment when she finds out Maggie has a girlfriend!), but I’ve now begun to read attraction into just about every same-sex pairing on this show. Lena and Kara? Yep. Mon-El and Winn? Totally. Mon-El and that blonde prince on Daxam? 100%.

I'm honestly having the same problem.

anaron

I for one am shocked.

This show is massively channeling Whedon vibes now, even in the casting. Just swap monsters for aliens.
Like I said once the alien bar made it's debut, the show has gone full buffyverse.

AND I LOVE IT.

Now I just need my Cordy/Anya insert

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Is this a problem or just a sneak peek into kirbyfan407's life?

Kidding. But I don't really have this problem wth the show either. As much as I'd love for a Mon-El and Winn romance, it seems clear to me that a Mon-El/Kara kiss will happen sooner rather than later. And Lena/Kara just seems poised for some kind of evil relationship where Lena misleads Kara and uses her or forces Kara to make a tough decision.

I really only see romance blossoming between Alex/Maggie (the most blatant) and Kara/Mon-El (not quite as blatant, but I think he looks the part and the scenes certainly aren't moving away from that).

Is this a problem or just a sneak peek into kirbyfan407's life?

Kidding. But I don't really have this problem wth the show either. As much as I'd love for a Mon-El and Winn romance, it seems so clear to me that a Mon-El/Kara kiss will happen sooner rather than later. And Lena/Kara just seems poised for some kind of evil relationship where Lena misleads Kara and uses her or forces Kara to make a tough decision.

I really only see romance blossoming between Alex/Maggie (the most blatant) and Kara/Mon-El (not quite as blatant, but the casting and hair/makeup/costuming choices for Mon-El make it seem obvious and the scenes certainly aren't moving away from that).

Mon-El is 100 percent the Jimmy replacement in the romance department for Kara.

Skux

This was a strong episode for the characters. Really liking that Mon-El and Supergirl, and Winn and Mon-El, and J'onn and M'gann get to just hang out and chat.

CG is looking really strong too.

I hope the Lena Luthor arc comes to a head in a big way later down the track.

Line of the episode goes to "It's gonna take more than a steel cage death match to get rid of me."

ZeroX03

Banned
Mon El is what they want to brand the character is, and they don't want to confuse audiences with Lar Gand. Yeah it doesn't make sense, but whatever.

Wonder what his superhero name will be? Valor? He's close to (weak) Superboy's power set.

Extended Promo
shows some interesting stuff.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This episode was all over the place for me. I liked the main villain (Roulette) and the concept of an Alien Fight Club. But I don't think they sold it very well with Kara flying in and interrupting every fight we see. Diminished the stakes quite a bit. Cue "I need HIGH STEAKS!"

The subplot with Marian Manhunter and Miss Martian was classic CW love interest plotline in all the worst ways. Replace the psychic bond with CW SECRETS™ or any other multitude of generic mysterious pasts and we've seen this before. It's really disappointing that she's being played as an angsty reluctant love interest.

Mon-El is...okay, I guess. He's kinda generic too. He's an Alien Frat Boy, which they comment on in the episode. But for someone who literally should have no concept of Earth culture, I'm just not buying the portrayal. They're trying but it's a little half-baked (like Kara's stories hehe).

There were some awesome fight scenes. The effects they use for the Martians blows me away everytime. Looks wonderful for a tv budget. And their fight was genuinely badass. Even Kara got a chance to mix it up, using her X-ray vision to see that alien's weak knee and then slide kick into it. Perfection!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom