• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl S2 |OT| The Sky's the Limit - Mondays 8/7c on The CW

Status
Not open for further replies.

KonradLaw

I've caught up on Supergirl right for crossover and I liked what I saw. Second best Arrowverse show at this moment and while it has it's problems it's a lot better than season 1. Cadmus made for a lot cooler villains than Kryptonians did. Superman was really well done, the superheroics seem improved a lot too. The whole lesbian drama felt a little heavy for a show like Supergirl, but it was handled really nicely. Not really liking the whole Guardian thing, but at least it alongside DEO job keeps Winn busy.

But most of all..holy hell...I absolutely love Mon-El. Best change/addition this season. Dude is absolutely hilarious.

Also..drunk Kara is the most adorable thing I've seen on TV this year.

Overall, I think I will be keeping with Supergirl weekly from now on.

Mariolee

i know, i am both baffled and impressed that they are willing to throw away so much character development

Throw away character development? To me it makes complete sense why Cisco would have trouble getting over the fact that Barry more or less
killed his brother. I have a little sister and would be absolutely stunned if my friend had a hand in her death, intentional or not.
It would be weirder if Cisco wasn't still mad at Barry.

Mariolee

Also did they ever explain why the Medusa poison didn't kill humans? I was sure they would but I don't remember any resolution to that.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I don't think they explained human immunity, so headcanon time:

Cadmus would not have released a virus that would kill all humans. They tinkered with it enough, using the Kryptonian immunity as a template.

Mariolee

Cadmus would not have released a virus that would kill all humans. They tinkered with it enough, using the Kryptonian immunity as a template.

This was my assumption as well, just really surprised they didn't outright state it considering how forthcoming they've been eith literally every other aspect of the show.

Hence "I AM CYBORG SUPERMAN".

Tabby

Also did they ever explain why the Medusa poison didn't kill humans? I was sure they would but I don't remember any resolution to that.

They said it at the beginning, something like "Why did it kill aliens but not humans?".

I'm guessing Cadmus modified the virus.

The only thing missing was Superman. I wish this show wouldn't do apocalyptic threats without him at least showing some concern. Mass genocide? Sorry, that report isn't going to get itself onto Perry's desk.

Corpekata

Banned
Oh man the Cyborg Superman lines, so so so bad.

I really am just picturing Harewood reading his script and cringing at some of the shit they put into his mouth. He mostly sells the Martian stuff, but nobody can save those CS lines. Even Kara's line about it was awful.

I really am just picturing Harewood reading his script and cringing at some of the shit they put into his mouth. He mostly sells the Martian stuff, but nobody can save those CS lines. Even Kara's line about it was awful.

"Because I'm Cyborg Superman" was the worst.

Joni

They said it at the beginning, something like "Why did it kill aliens but not humans?".

Yeah, their entire mission statement is protecting humanity so it wouldn't make sense for them to kill humans.

Throw away character development? To me it makes complete sense why Cisco would have trouble getting over the fact that Barry more or less
killed his brother. I have a little sister and would be absolutely stunned if my friend had a hand in her death, intentional or not.

Yeah- that's why I think the only way past this is somehow learning that either Dante's fate was much worse pre-Flashpoint or that the bad stuff that changed was specifically engineered by Reverse Flash.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
well shit, sounds like this episode is skippable.

It's most definitely not. It's just not a major part of the crossover. Huge plot episode for the Supergirl show.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Cross post from the crossover thread, seemed relevant

WHY SUPERGIRL'S FALL FINALE WASN'T MORE CONNECTED TO THE ARROWVERSE CROSSOVER (IGN)

During a Q&A after a "Heroes v Aliens" screening event, executive producer Andrew Kreisberg explained to members of the press why Supergirl (the show, not the character) is significantly less involved in the crossover...

"Part of what made it a little bit difficult was all the other shows – Flash, Arrow and Legends -- all have a subsequent episode to the crossovers, but with Supergirl, it was our midseason finale," he said. "We wanted to make sure that episode 8 of Supergirl spoke to what had been happening on the first seven episodes of Supergirl and not just as a tie in."

More at the link. There were also some logistical hurdles as well.

Grizzlyjin

oh i dont doubt that, it's just that I fell off a couple of episodes ago. Need to catch up.

Thought this was going to be standalone.

I feel you. They've been open about it...but I personally think the marketing has been a wee bit deceptive on what this was. Like for preview stuff they mainly just showed the 25 secs worth of crossover stuff instead of plot relevant scenes for the episode. There wasn't some big conspiracy saying this was a major part of the crossover, they were upfront about its relevance. But the marketing definitely obscured that this would be a Supergirl episode first and foremost. Almost completely

Seemed to be the clear implication to me, with super-mom's later use of it to kill only the White Martian cells in J'onn serving as confirmation how it's apparently possible to tailor Medusa into doing anything.

It wouldn't be quite so jarring if she was just shown administering the modified Medusa as an experiment and having both Mon-El and J'onn show a little improvement in response, rather than having both become completely cured literally within a commercial break. There was no reason to bring them right back to 100% immediately.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

i was talking about Flash Point

Yeah- that's why I think the only way past this is somehow learning that either Dante's fate was much worse pre-Flashpoint or that the bad stuff that changed was specifically engineered by Reverse Flash.

that would be good... still feels weird these are all different versions of the crew

jph139

Personally I'm glad there was minimal crossover stuff. Even if it was just another "Flash hangs out" episode, I really don't care for the Flash (as a character or actor). Would much rather see the plots wrapped up. Even if it was a bit too tidy.

I'm not even sure why they bothered to make J'onn a White Martian if they were going to reverse it that easily. It's not like he's learned anything from it. Definitely the most disappointing part of this episode.

I know right? I'm like - oh, he's turning into a White Martian, so he can explore his own prejudice, perhaps they'll bring up the fact he and M'Gann both chose to live as black and make that whole theme more explicit.

But nah, "Thanks guys, really dodged that bullet, being a White Martian is gross lol!"

maxcriden

What confused me about the last ep is:

Cisco knew in the second episode that Dante wasn't dead in Flashpoint, right? Or is this the first time he learned that?

For some reason I thought he knew that in episode 2. At least by logical deduction of
Barry had no idea Dante was dead (?). Barry came from a different timeline. Therefore, Flashpoint resulted in a timeline that included Dante's death.

Maybe I'm totally misremembering though. I thought for some reason it was made clear to all in the ep that Barry had no idea Dante was dead, but maybe it was just that Barry had no idea Cisco blamed him for Dante's death, but it was left open for assumption that Dante was dead in the OG timeline regardless...?

Sephzilla

Cisco knew in the second episode that Dante wasn't dead in Flashpoint, right? Or is this the first time he learned that?

Yeah this confused me as well. I thought Cisco and Barry went over this already. Maybe they only talked about why Barry isn't going to time travel anymore

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Did they ever establish that he has all of Superman's powers? Like, that'd make sense why he'd call himself Cyborg Superman.

Otherwise, it just sounds like he's got a boner for him.

Xenoboy

Isn't he calling himself Cyborg Superman becauser Lillain said something like Lex was more of a superman than Real Superman.
Anyways, excited for for Cyborg S after the break.
Lol, Crisco still mad.

Grizzlyjin

The "I am Cyborg Superman" lines just don't work out of context. He keeps saying it because that's the name of a character from the comics who literally impersonated and looks like Superman. Supergirl's Henshaw saying it without any explanation is just weird. It's either an attempt at a homage that falls flat because it makes no sense with this version of the character or they aren't giving him any accompanying lines to explain why he is saying that.

Character itself is fine though. Id be pissed too if some alien took my identity.

I'm assuming he had to say it so the audience doesn't mix him up with Cyborg. Cause, you know, Cyborg is a moneymaker or something for DC.

Also, why would they call the virus Medusa? Did Krypton also have Greek mythology somehow?

Joni

I assume he called himself Superman because he is mad at the real one, and then people started teasing that he looked more like Cyborg.

Platy

Alex thinking that is the gay thing that makes her not normal, not the fact that she is an anti-alien superspy. Way to go inner homophobia !

Also she totally didn't deserve to get the girl after those freakouts =P

And yeah cyborg lines were cheesy and Lena screwing her mother plans is shockingly obvious.. but that was a fun episode

Joni

Noticeable. Last year Chris Wood was playing games with a girl locked behind a glass screen in quarantaine.

Alex thinking that is the gay thing that makes her not normal, not the fact that she is an anti-alien superspy. Way to go inner homophobia !

She is around anti-alien superspies all the time.

Effect

Isn't he calling himself Cyborg Superman becauser Lillain said something like Lex was more of a superman than Real Superman.
Anyways, excited for for Cyborg S after the break.
Lol, Crisco still mad.

That was the connection I made in regard to the name. However if that was suppose to be the case then they should have made that LOT clearer. Here's hoping they readdress it when the show comes back. He needs to be more then just muscle.

Mariolee

Yeah, their entire mission statement is protecting humanity so it wouldn't make sense for them to kill humans.

I know that, but mechanically how did they modify it? We know that Medusa was able to kill all aliens except Kryptonians, so humans would be included in that. It just seems weird they couldn't include a throwaway line that said, "Cadmus must've modified it to not affect humans either." I have no huge problem with it, it just seems like sloppy inconsistent screenwriting.

Or by Barry presenting a sincere apology.

I would be ok with the top post but for Joni, Barry's already presented a sincere apology and it didn't work.

i was talking about Flash Point

I'm sorry, but I'm still not sure I follow how that's throwaway character development?

What confused me about the last ep is:

For some reason I thought he knew that in episode 2. At least by logical deduction of
Barry had no idea Dante was dead (?). Barry came from a different timeline. Therefore, Flashpoint resulted in a timeline that included Dante's death.

Maybe I'm totally misremembering though. I thought for some reason it was made clear to all in the ep that Barry had no idea Dante was dead, but maybe it was just that Barry had no idea Cisco blamed him for Dante's death, but it was left open for assumption that Dante was dead in the OG timeline regardless...?

Yeah this confused me as well. I thought Cisco and Barry went over this already. Maybe they only talked about why Barry isn't going to time travel anymore

Cisco didn't know during episode 2. That was also very sloppy writing.

Joni

I know that, but mechanically how did they modify it? We know that Medusa was able to kill all aliens except Kryptonians, so humans would be included in that. It just seems weird they couldn't include a throwaway line that said, "Cadmus must've modified it to not affect humans either." I have no huge problem with it, it just seems like sloppy inconsistent screenwriting.

Why tell what everyone already knows? Only the humans got out so it was modified.

I would be ok with the top post but for Joni, Barry's already presented a sincere apology and it didn't work.

That didn't feel like someone that understood what he did wrong. And it depends on a lot of stuff we know but cisco didn't.

Mariolee

Why tell what everyone already knows? Only the humans got out so it was modified.

The thing is they're overly explicit with literally everything else. It just seems weird they left it out.

That didn't feel like someone that understood what he did wrong. And it depends on a lot of stuff we know but cisco didn't.

Sure, I suppose. But at this point Cisco is still in grief and doesn't really want an apology. He knows Barry's being sincere which is why he predicted that Barry would be sorry. It's just that being sorry isn't enough at this point. Barry really fucked up this time. I'm OK with Cisco being angry with him. This ain't some Olicity level drama.

Grizzlyjin

Sooooo are people still going to hit up the alien bar after the mass homicide or is that done? Lol

I wonder if M'gann will come back. They threw Martian Manhunter's White Martian subplot out the window in no time. I thought she'd play a big part in that...guess not.

Joni

The thing is they're overly explicit with literally everything else. It just seems weird they left it out.

It is either an improvement or just a script that ran a bit long.

I wonder if M'gann will come back. They threw Martian Manhunter's White Martian subplot out the window in no time. I thought she'd play a big part in that...guess not.

She is conveniently absent so she doesn't die. She will probably be back, they can try to cure her which fails or they might introduce those white aliens.

Stage On

Huge missed opportunity this episode. Cyborg Superman knocks Supergirl over and says "Nobody is going to save you now" and then a portal opens up behind them. Perfect moment for the Flash to show up and save the day and yet nothing happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom