• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

Zeknurn

I'm surprised that Microsoft doesn't have a distribution centre in Scandinavia. I wonder if UPS will make it here from Netherlands in one day.

Has Microsoft said when they plan on making coloured type covers available?

senahorse

OK any must have things I should install on a pro? Maybe a battery meter or app somewhere, I started with an essential (steam), next office 2013, wireshark, dynamips etc Also I read I should use Intel's graphics driver?

edit: once I changed the taskbar options the battery meter appeared.

edit2: have tried a few games, but nothing really demanding, so far Civ5, Gunpoint, Pool Nation and Castle of Illusion run great. This little screen is so crisp :)

Ian

My Surface and type cover just arrived at work! I'm now setting it up instead of doing what I should be :)

BubbaMc

OK any must have things I should install on a pro? Maybe a battery meter or app somewhere, I started with an essential (steam), next office 2013, wireshark, dynamips etc Also I read I should use Intel's graphics driver?

edit: once I changed the taskbar options the battery meter appeared.

edit2: have tried a few games, but nothing really demanding, so far Civ5, Gunpoint, Pool Nation and Castle of Illusion run great. This little screen is so crisp :)

I'm in the same boat.

What's the best win8 torrent client?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
FUCK OFF UPS

now coming tomorrow

worst courier on the planet

(i seriously don't understand how it's possible, my parcels are being scanned in a batch- came from 2 different places... if it's true delivery is tomorrow, that means they missed the entire shipment window from Louisville.... which means drivers are going out with a lot of nothing)

Sigma722

FUCK OFF UPS

now coming tomorrow

worst courier on the planet

(i seriously don't understand how it's possible, my parcels are being scanned in a batch- came from 2 different places... if it's true delivery is tomorrow, that means they missed the entire shipment window from Louisville.... which means drivers are going out with a lot of nothing)

What happened with your surface? I thought you weren't getting one at all because of card stuff. Did that get worked out?

Edit:

Just got mine!!!! Opening now.

HNNnngggg

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
What happened with your surface? I thought you weren't getting one at all because of card stuff. Did that get worked out?

Edit:

HNNnngggg

nah i was waiting for MS to call back, then on saturday i canceled the order and reordered, still shipped yesterday with expected ship by as october 25th.

dem

The cyan and pink type covers are in stock @ the microsoft store now

I ordered the purple one (wife!) from futureshop a few weeks ago... it seemingly hasnt shipped and now says out of stock. Wtf guys.

Mairu

Was hoping the Surface Pro 2s that my boss ordered would be delivered today, but looks like they were just shipped today. Sadness :(

Sigma722

Sweet, apparently I won a "Trina Turk Print Sleeves and Incipio Father and Capture Cases" through that countdown app contest. ARV: $75, and I don't even know what it is basically.

Realized I still have that MS Store 10% off coupon through my uni.

Anyone know if the Pro 8GB base model is that different in real usage compared to the higher-end 4GB model? I'd probably use it mostly for development (Visual Studio) and for misc. stuff, nothing high-end gaming or anything.

Asking since it's a pretty big jump price-wise between the two.

Fricken Apple, Inc. I loved them when they were Apple Computers, but now I'm just jaded. I feel that they are totally going to steal the Surface 2's thunder, even though I know the Surface RT2 is a more appealing tablet to me.

Apple, and not Microsoft, is now the 800 lbs. guerilla in the room.

Things have gone the complete opposite direction from what it was in the mid 90s.

dem

Windows baytrail tablets are going to be netbook pt 2

I don't understand why people are desperate to run full blown windows apps on an underpowered tablet... but I think they will sell like crazy over the next year.

Providing device makers actually make some decent devices.. not total cheapo garbage.

As someone who has to deal with iOS in the workplace for a living... its a fucking nightmare. iOS 7 somehow managed to make it even worse with the activation lock crap. Please Microsoft.. save us.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Fricken Apple, Inc. I loved them when they were Apple Computers, but now I'm just jaded. I feel that they are totally going to steal the Surface 2's thunder, even though I know the Surface RT2 is a more appealing tablet to me.

Apple, and not Microsoft, is now the 800 lbs. guerilla in the room.

Things have gone the complete opposite direction from what it was in the mid 90s.

They are going invent the iType

Windows baytrail tablets are going to be netbook pt 2

I don't understand why people are desperate to run full blown windows apps on an underpowered tablet... but I think they will sell like crazy over the next year.

Providing device makers actually make some decent devices.. not total cheapo garbage.

As someone who has to deal with iOS in the workplace for a living... its a fucking nightmare. iOS 7 somehow managed to make it even worse with the activation lock crap. Please Microsoft.. save us.

While the MacOS is what drove Macintosh faithful to the platform (even when the platform didn't even have preemptive multitasking) it was the quality of the hardware coupled with the integration with the OS and system software that made them feel like they were getting VALUE from their $2500 computer purchase.

Enter the Surface RT platform and Microsoft making kick butt hardware to go with a great tablet OS experience.

Can't believe I'm saying this...but YES Microsoft. Beat Apple at being Apple.

Hardware and software synergy. Come on Microsoft.

Dont know why reviewers dont fawn over the fantastic multitasking. This stuff isn't even thinkable on iPad.

McWFgYW.png

Dont know why reviewers dont fawn over the fantastic multitasking. This stuff isn't even thinkable on iPad.

Shoosh. People that spend less than $500 don't want to run more than one app at a time on their tablet.

:)

Couldn't some of this OS X stuff be done on Surface RT2 with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard?

dem

I had a crush on my iPad mini... but iOS 7 borked it. Web browsing is a straight up dog. Has any device gone obsolete so fast?

My surface can't come fast enough.

Mavericks being free doesn't impress me.

8.1 is free too.

And compared to Windows, the Macintosh platform doesn't have applications.

See what I did there.

hwalker84

Looks like there must have been some hands on checking of my Surface 2. The USB port has a nasty scratch like someone missed the usb port plugging something in. If there was a Microsoft store around I'd try to trade it in. But since there isn't I'll just deal with it.

Besides that. I'm loving the device. The screen is the biggest thing that jumps out at me so far.

Sigma722

Looks like there must have been some hands on checking of my Surface 2. The USB port has a nasty scratch like someone missed the usb port plugging something in. If there was a Microsoft store around I'd try to trade it in. But since there isn't I'll just deal with it.

Besides that. I'm loving the device. The screen is the biggest thing that jumps out at me so far.

I'm pretty confident that you could return it to a microsoft store for an exchange if you wanted. Worth a call for perfection imho.

Apple event made me appreciate WinRT on Surface 2 that much more. Sure, the iOS interface is simple.

Simple doesn't mean best.

Looking at people use their tiles on 8.1 I much prefer that interface to anything iOS.

I really don't care if the iOS device weighs less than a device with a more pleasing interface.

Top Bottom