• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

Okay so I decided to trade in my RT at Best Buy to get the Surface 2.

For the person asking for pics here ya go!

surface01.png

surface02.png

So they didn't have any touch covers 2 at Best Buy so I ended up getting the type cover 2 (I really wanted the backlit keys as that was my biggest complaint).

My initial impressions coming from the RT. The browser is much faster, especially at WordPress where I am usually online. The type cover is nice but I am not quite used to it yet.

My best impression is this screen is amaaaazing. I didn't think having a higher resolution screen was that big of deal before... I was wrong. This and the browser speed are worth the upgrade for me.

Okay so that's all I have to say so far, haven't really had more time to play around with it yet.

So they didn't have any touch covers 2 at Best Buy so I ended up getting the type cover 2 (I really wanted the backlit keys as that was my biggest complaint).

My initial impressions coming from the RT. The browser is much faster, especially at WordPress where I am usually online. The type cover is nice but I am not quite used to it yet.

My best impression is this screen is amaaaazing. I didn't think having a higher resolution screen was that big of deal before... I was wrong. This and the browser speed are worth the upgrade for me.

Okay so that's all I have to say so far, haven't really had more time to play around with it yet.

Thanks for the pics, that type cover 2 does look good in colour.

I heard people complaining about the material though, about it feeling really cheap compared to the previous type cover.

hwalker84

Best Buy hasn't even shipped my Touch Cover 2 yet.

The automatic internet sharing activation with windows phone is pretty cool, requires gdr 3 on the phone.

Turn on Bluetooth on both devices.
Pair them.
Then go to WiFi on the setting charm and select your windows phone.
It will connect without a password and switch on internet sharing on the phone.

Obviously this works with any 8.1 device, not just the surface.

Anyone know of an online retailer that are selling black type cover 2s? I may order the cyan one, but as much as I love blue I think I will regret it. I think black is the best, natural choice for me.

Milchjon

Anyone know of an online retailer that are selling black type cover 2s? I may order the cyan one, but as much as I love blue I think I will regret it. I think black is the best, natural choice for me.

Cyan is the best color.

I had a cyan phone for 2 years, and was considering something more down to earth when I upgraded. Went cyan again.

I don't see how you would regret it unless you have to use it in a very conservative work environment.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
The automatic internet sharing activation with windows phone is pretty cool, requires gdr 3 on the phone.

Turn on Bluetooth on both devices.
Pair them.
Then go to WiFi on the setting charm and select your windows phone.
It will connect without a password and switch on internet sharing on the phone.

Obviously this works with any 8.1 device, not just the surface.

This sounds like magic....maybe I'll keep my windows phone if this works...

Quick Impressions. YouTube hasn't processed it in HD yet.

http://youtu.be/s35Y3o7wTpI

Sweet.

Stupid bonus check probably won't come in for another 4 weeks, but that baby will be mine.

Anything else you guys want me to show?

Probably an odd request...but if you ever hook up an xbox 360 controller to that USB port and you play Halo Spartan Assault it would be pretty sweet to see.

....trying to think of anything else.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Has anyone played any games yet on pro 2. Curious about performance.

I ran Team Fortress 2 on mine today. I tried to max out all the settings (except AA) at 1080p with vsync on, and it performed pretty admirably. Didn't have FPS counter up, but it felt in the neighborhood of 30.

Cyan is the best color.

I had a cyan phone for 2 years, and was considering something more down to earth when I upgraded. Went cyan again.

I don't see how you would regret it unless you have to use it in a very conservative work environment.

I had the blue one last time, was pretty good, but I'm going purple this time.

On heavier workloads I'd absolutely agree, but I'm more talking about things like content-heavy web sites slowing down the machine until IE crashes (cracked.com was the example I used earlier which frequently does this). Apps take a huge amount of time to load. Games particularly perform very slowly.

From the reviews I've read, it sounds like those problems have become completely nonexistent.

Well I have a very different experience than you my friend for the web. Speed is pretty good on cracked.com. Outlook takes about 13 specs to load. Everything else is half the time or less. Nice speed here.

Laggy under these scenarios for me:

My pre-order for my Surface Pro 2 hasn't shipped or even processed yet. Went to a local Best Buy and grabbed the only 256 gig they had - what was the point of pre-ordering when they won't even send it in a reasonable amount of time?

Just waiting for a Cyan Type Cover 2 to be available now.

Edit: Out of nowhere, the Cyan and Pink covers are now available on the Microsoft store.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Out of nowhere..... my surface pro 2 has arrived lol

First impressions: holy shit the pen is not calibrated

Second impressions: holy shit the pen calibration tool sucks

But all good... got it fixed :D

Zeknurn

My pre-order for my Surface Pro 2 hasn't shipped or even processed yet. Went to a local Best Buy and grabbed the only 256 gig they had - what was the point of pre-ordering when they won't even send it in a reasonable amount of time?

Just waiting for a Cyan Type Cover 2 to be available now.

Edit: Out of nowhere, the Cyan and Pink covers are now available on the Microsoft store.

Mine was processed and shipped yesterday but it hasn't moved all day and is still stuck in Eindhoven. But I guess that's UPS' fault and not Microsoft.

Special C

I'm working a long shift today. My Wife has already picked up my Pro 2 and Type Cover 2 today at best buy. I'm having a real hard time focusing on my job right now. Can't wait to try touch enabled Civ 5 on it!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Out of nowhere..... my surface pro 2 has arrived lol

First impressions: holy shit the pen is not calibrated

Second impressions: holy shit the pen calibration tool sucks

But all good... got it fixed :D

Yeah every time I calibrate it it's just a new kind of wrong. How did you get it fixed?

Special C

Should somebody open up a "Gaming On Surface Pro 2" thread on the main page? I think it would be On Topic and may get a little more exposure. I would do it but I'm Junior.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Didn't go to bed last night planning on buying a Surface Pro 2 today but local Best Buy had it so I got a 256 Pro 2 with a few extra OSU and new type cover. Battery life so much better. Looking forward to bat cover and docking station.

Gonna try a few game on it tonight

I am so jealous at not yet owning one of these...it's killing me. But I'm going to hold out until Christmas, at which time I shall dive in and get a pro.

Top Bottom