• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

NeOak

So, finally was able to set it up.

i3dIKhkFwubhZ.jpg

iLn2mU4Ph3KSt.jpg

Seriously, I got the last black type cover 2 at the MS Store. People were seriously pissed there weren't more of the black ones.

Edit: I'll download it later. Can't do it atm.

Out of nowhere..... my surface pro 2 has arrived lol

First impressions: holy shit the pen is not calibrated

Second impressions: holy shit the pen calibration tool sucks

But all good... got it fixed :D

Or you could download the Wacom drivers. That works, but be aware that they fuck up the drivers for the USB dongle of the MS Arc Mouse. That is why I got a BT one (Surface ed)

TylerD

So, no confirmation of delivery to my apartment office yet... the clock is ticking on me getting it today. UPS doesn't leave packages at doors at our complex. :(

So, finally was able to set it up.

i3dIKhkFwubhZ.jpg

iLn2mU4Ph3KSt.jpg

Seriously, I got the last black type cover 2 at the MS Store. People were seriously pissed there weren't more of the black ones.

Edit: I'll download it later. Can't do it atm.

Or you could download the Wacom drivers. That works, but be aware that they fuck up the drivers for the USB dongle of the MS Arc Mouse. That is why I got a BT one (Surface ed)

Really? I would have loved to have a colour option for my type cover, black is good but it doesn't really stand out.

madmook

FUUUUUUUCK I THINK IT'S BROKEN!!!

I can't even turn it off, nothing.
Do you have a Surface 1 or 2? :p

Also, there must be a forced shutdown, no? Maybe holding down the power button a bit longer?

I take no responsibility for linking to that thread. :x

Engadget has now updated their Surface 2 review claiming almost 14.5 hrs of battery life. Is that correct? Insane if true.

Battery Life

Microsoft Surface 2 14:22
Apple iPad mini 12:43 (WiFi)
Apple iPad (late 2012) 11:08 (WiFi)
Apple iPad 2 10:26
ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime 10:17
Apple iPad (2012) 9:52 (HSPA) / 9:37 (LTE)
Nexus 7 (2012) 9:49
Microsoft Surface RT 9:36
Apple iPad 9:33

Also saying the FF camera can take video/pics like this in a dark room sounds unbelievable:

surface2frontcamerasample.jpg

For context, I was sitting in my living room with the lights off when I took that selfie; it was so dim, in fact, that even the Type Cover's subtle backlighting was going strong. And yet, you can see the texture of my velvet couch, and the slight sunburn on my face.

I'm struggling to decide between getting a Surface 2 or Lumia 2520. I love the cyan Lumia so much, but 14 hours of battery life is incredible for a tablet and I don't really need LTE.

Engadget has now updated their Surface 2 review claiming almost 14.5 hrs of battery life. Is that correct? Insane if true.

Also saying the FF camera can take video/pics like this in a dark room sounds unbelievable:

I'm struggling to decide between getting a Surface 2 or Lumia 2520. I love the cyan Lumia so much, but 14 hours of battery life is incredible for a tablet and I don't really need LTE.

14.5 hours HOLY crap that is like two times as much as the original. Correction it seems they get 9 hours out of their RT, i can't seem to get more than 8 though.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
wow uh

i put on my keyboard cover, walked 10 feet sat down and screen was off

device won't turn back on :'(

i have no idea what to do

NeOak

Really? I would have loved to have a colour option for my type cover, black is good but it doesn't really stand out.

While I was there, there were 5 blacks, 2 purple, 2 pink and 3 cyans that came out of nowhere.

When I left, only the pink was left.

SPDIF

wow uh

i put on my keyboard cover, walked 10 feet sat down and screen was off

device won't turn back on :'(

i have no idea what to do

This was sometimes a problem with the original Surface. Generally if you hold the power button down for a good ten seconds, release, wait a few seconds more, and then press the power button just like normal it should come back on. If that doesn't work then repeating the process with the charger connected should do the trick.

Edit: This should be done without the keyboard attached.

DopeyFish

This was sometimes a problem with the original Surface. Generally if you hold the power button down for a good ten seconds, release, wait a few seconds more, and then press the power button just like normal it should come back on. If that doesn't work then repeating the process with the charger connected should do the trick.

Edit: This should be done without the keyboard attached.

i get nothing

when i attach keyboard it lights up

i still see the LCD is powered in standby

but no responsiveness

i get nothing

when i attach keyboard it lights up

i still see the LCD is powered in standby

but no responsiveness
Contact MS support. There is even a live chat. If anything return it and get a new one. I know you don't want you don't want to hear that. I just had to RMA 2 laptops this week. I'm waiting on $3500 in refunds still on them!

Ganondolf

I didn't know the non-Pro version had desktop mode. Or was that in the OG RT as well?

desktop is in the original rt as well.

anyone picked up the arc mouse, if so what is it like. I have a wedge mouse (surface edition) but im not sure if I should sell it and pick up the arc version.

Anarkin

Do you have a Surface 1 or 2? :p

Also, there must be a forced shutdown, no? Maybe holding down the power button a bit longer?

I take no responsibility for linking to that thread. :x

Surface 2 and I don't blame you. ;) I clicked on the link and it didn't load first, so I tried again and this all I see.

I tried holding down the power button, but nothing.

EDIT: Ok, So holding down the power button worked now, have no idea why, because I tried it before even longer. But now it looks like this.

So will MS send me directly a new one or after they received mine fist? Anyone knows?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So.. can I not configure my touchpad in any meaningful way? I want to make it more sensitive, and I need to be able to double-tap-and-hold to get into a mouse-held situation, so I can double tap to drag things. Basic fuckin shit here. None of it's in the mouse and touchpad section of the metro settings.

There was some program the internet said to download from the windows store, but it doesn't recognize that the type keyboard is even present.

The Surface Pro is also waking up if I fuckin BREATHE on it. I hit the sleep button, close the keyboard on it, and it just wakes up whenever the hell it wants. I can open the cover a millimeter and WHUPS TIME TO WAKE UP, which is a pain in the ass when it's in my bag.

SPDIF

Surface 2 and I don't blame you. ;) I clicked on the link and it didn't load first, so I tried again and this all I see.

I tried holding down the power button, but nothing.

So will MS send me directly a new one or after they received mine fist? Anyone knows?

That's how it worked for me. Took about a week between me sending mine back and then receiving a new one.

DopeyFish

Contact MS support. There is even a live chat. If anything return it and get a new one. I know you don't want you don't want to hear that. I just had to RMA 2 laptops this week. I'm waiting on $3500 in refunds still on them!

talked to tech support... volume + and power did the trick

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Question about Surface Pro 2.

Is there a way to change it to only recognize pen-input only? In other words, turn off hand/finger input completely?

Question about Surface Pro 2.

Is there a way to change it to only recognize pen-input only? In other words, turn off hand/finger input completely?

I don't think so. But once the pen is near the screen, hand input is disabled, ie you can rest your hand on the screen while writing

Anarkin

It restarted and it works again. xD WTF was that?

That's how it worked for me. Took about a week between me sending mine back and then receiving a new one.

Thx for the answer. ;) Amazon is so much better. Will call them anyway and ask what the problem was.

I really hope that with the Surface pro 3 they can get the weight and bulk down to ipad 2 levels. I have the Surface pro 1 and I don't really feel compelled to upgrade since I am only getting a marginally battery increase.

I will be buying a new type cover though. Does the new type/touch cover have a better track pad?

I hate the track pad on the original type cover.

I really hope that with the Surface pro 3 they can get the weight and bulk down to ipad 2 levels. I have the Surface pro 1 and I don't really feel compelled to upgrade since I am only getting a marginally battery increase.

I will be buying a new type cover though. Does the new type/touch cover have a better track pad?

It is weird that the type cover has a worse tackpad than touch cover 1

Ganondolf

I really hope that with the Surface pro 3 they can get the weight and bulk down to ipad 2 levels.

they should be able to make it a little thinker and lighter but it will never be ipad 2 levels.

I think they focused on the Surface 2 and the Pro 2 only had the bare minimum upgrade.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I don't think so. But once the pen is near the screen, hand input is disabled, ie you can rest your hand on the screen while writing

Darn. I was trying it out at the MS store and when I was drawing in Fresh Paint (that's the only program the store machine had to draw on) it constantly registered my palm as well. >>;

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

the the i5-5XXXU line probably wont need fans, which is what causes a lot of the weight and bulk issues in current i5-4200u tablets.

NeOak

desktop is in the original rt as well.

anyone picked up the arc mouse, if so what is it like. I have a wedge mouse (surface edition) but im not sure if I should sell it and pick up the arc version.

I picked one. I used the original Arc, so I'll let you know later.

Ordered a SP2 128GB/4GB after watching the Apple keynote. I liked the original SP but it had enough issues at the time that dissuaded me from getting one, but this time I'm pretty certain I'll enjoy the new model. Going to start with the original Touch Cover and see how it works, but if not I will probably be picking up a Type Cover 2 down the road.

Top Bottom