• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

Anastasia

I picked up a Surface 2 (32GB) today, along with a black Type 2. I'm really impressed by the overall design of both the tablet and the keyboard/cover, and how well made everything is. As for the tablet itself, it's super fast and responsive. One of the things that surprised me is the sound quality; I don't even have the volume turned up all the way, and the sound is very clear and booming.

The only real quibble I have so far is that the trackpad for the cover isn't as smooth/easy to use as I would like. But other than that, I love, love, love this tablet.

*Posted this from my Surface 2*

solarus

I think the pro will be the perfect device for me once broadwell hits, will jump ship from ipad then. Hope this does well for Microsoft this time round.

I picked up a Surface 2 (32GB) today, along with a black Type 2. I'm really impressed by the overall design of both the tablet and the keyboard/cover, and how well made everything is. As for the tablet itself, it's super fast and responsive. One of the things that surprised me is the sound quality; I don't even have the volume turned up all the way, and the sound is very clear and booming.

The only real quibble I have so far is that the trackpad for the cover isn't as smooth/easy to use as I would like. But other than that, I love, love, love this tablet.

*Posted this from my Surface 2*

How do the gestures work on the trackpad? things like scrolling, switching apps, zooming etc.

bounchfx

after thinking about it, I'm probably not gonna drop the amount of cash needed for a pro 2 or cintiq. but if someone has a pro 1 and is looking to offload it to upgrade or just sell it in general toss me a PM.

Tablo

I think the pro will be the perfect device for me once broadwell hits, will jump ship from ipad then. Hope this does well for Microsoft this time round.

It'll be great agreed, I'll hopefully jump to it from Pro first gen, don't expect it to be fan-less or radically thinner though, heads up. Unless they're willing to sacrifice a lot of performance headroom.

NeOak

desktop is in the original rt as well.

anyone picked up the arc mouse, if so what is it like. I have a wedge mouse (surface edition) but im not sure if I should sell it and pick up the arc version.
Synched and tested.

Works better than the original Arc touch. Feels better too.
Any chance you can run the ffxiv benchmark?

Downloading, give me about an hour.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Kerbal space program works well - trying to figure out how to control building rockets with the pen input

webkid94

Typing with the white touch cover on the Surface 2, everything about this tablet is amazing! I love how well Skydrive is integrated, for example I was able to connect my music on Skydrive with the Xbox Music app and now I have no reason to even put my music on the local storage!! As much as I don't like the "Xbox" name for music (PS fanboy here), it really works well and its playing in the background right now with IE and the Amazon apps split screen.

The build quality is fantastic, the screen is amazing, well worth the $439 I paid for, but a couple of snags along the way. One it was a PITA to install my printer (shared via HomeGroup), had to manually install the drivers after two hours of figuring out what to do. Second, I hope MS allows different browsers in the app store cause IE is good and all but after a few minutes a different tab has to reload if I haven't used it for a while, kind of annoying. I just love hearing the snap the touch cover makes when it connects to the S2, sounds so....satisfying lol.

Any recommendations for accessories? The touch cover is actually pretty good, but the trackpad is pretty meh (no gesture support, really?).

Anastasia

How do the gestures work on the trackpad? things like scrolling, switching apps, zooming etc.

They work okay, but I find it easier and faster to just use the screen; I think part of that might have to do with how small the trackpad is. Zooming and side-scrolling do work well. I will have to use it more to see if my opinion changes. But at the moment I prefer using the screen.

They work okay, but I find it easier and faster to just use the screen; I think part of that might have to do with how small the trackpad is. Zooming and side-scrolling do work well. I will have to use it more to see if my opinion changes. But at the moment I prefer using the screen.

Yeah I can understand that, it's just that the original covers didn't have any trackpad gestures, so I was interested in knowing how they might work in comparison to something like a macbook.

Laconic

Banned
I just got mine. Fresh Paint is dodgy on remembering the pen. Mischief runs horridly. Sketchbook Pro is performing ably, but would be MUCH better if it recognized my pen only, and not my hand also, whenever it touches the screen. And, as much as I hate to say it, and hoped it would be otherwise, I rather loathe Windows 8, thus far.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Typing with the white touch cover on the Surface 2, everything about this tablet is amazing! I love how well Skydrive is integrated, for example I was able to connect my music on Skydrive with the Xbox Music app and now I have no reason to even put my music on the local storage!! As much as I don't like the "Xbox" name for music (PS fanboy here), it really works well and its playing in the background right now with IE and the Amazon apps split screen.

The build quality is fantastic, the screen is amazing, well worth the $439 I paid for, but a couple of snags along the way. One it was a PITA to install my printer (shared via HomeGroup), had to manually install the drivers after two hours of figuring out what to do. Second, I hope MS allows different browsers in the app store cause IE is good and all but after a few minutes a different tab has to reload if I haven't used it for a while, kind of annoying. I just love hearing the snap the touch cover makes when it connects to the S2, sounds so....satisfying lol.

Any recommendations for accessories? The touch cover is actually pretty good, but the trackpad is pretty meh (no gesture support, really?).

Just get an Xbox One and complete the synergy brooooooooo.

TylerD

Almost 8 cst here and still no delivery. I was told in the office that they should try to bring packages to resident doors if the office is closed.

My brother got his and called to gloat :(

edit: 8:02 and its here!!!

Special C

Making my first GAF post with my pro 2. Man is this thing lightning fast and Windows 8.1 is the perfect OS for a tablet. Installing steam now, going to try a few games.

I bought my wife the RT last year and had a chance to play around with Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 at the Microsoft store today. I'm loving the feel of the surface 2. Seriously, had they just scrapped RT and allowed for SSD capacities of up to 256 GB this would be easily my next tablet. The device feels just about perfect and looks amazing.

The extra click on the stand makes all the difference on the Surface 2 and on the Pro2. After playing around with it the Surface Pro 2 may be back on my list as an option for my new replacement PC [PC on the go]. It's a little heavier than I would like and definitely has not lost a few pounds since the thickness is the same as the original Pro but it is still a very compelling device. The surface feel great to hold but I worry about the Pro 2's slight spacing between casing [I guess for the air flow/vents?]. It doesn't have as smooth of an edge towards the back as I would like and I worry about dust and other things getting lodged their with every day use.

The only other knock on the Pro 2 is the price. The 256 GB is about perfect for me but the price needs to be $300 less. Even if my wife uses her discount it will still be $1300 once I add the type cover to the price. Le sigh!

Special C

Played some Civ 5 on my Pro 2 I know it's not the powerhouse game people might want impressions on but I wanted to try a touch enabled game. I'll just say that the game loads extremely quick and looks gorgeous on the screen. Everything was fast and responsive and the touch controls work well. Tomorrow I'm going to hook up a USB mouse and try some TF2. Not sure if I'll want to play games like FPS such a small screen but I want to try it out. I'm mostly a console gamer but I can see playing a lot of slower paced turn based strategies or RPGs when I want a good portable gaming solution.

TylerD

First post from my Surface 2. This thing is really great. The onscreen keyboard is really nice as well and with how I use it I may not need to get a touch\type cover. Really like how it feels in the hands and the kickstand is working great on my lap as I type.

I am a happy customer so far.

Man this screen is gorgeous.

Tangeroo

wow, im impressed, looks playable. im still installing but i think medium settings on 1080p will be my sweet spot.

Keep in mind, this is actually about 5-7fps less than what it will look like normally because of the hit you get by recording in Fraps. I'll try to shoot off-screen video sometime to show you the difference.

joshschw

Surface 2 screen impressions:

Comes a bit cool from the factory. Thankfully you get Windows whole built in display config! Nice. Fixed the color temp, and it looks nicer now. Reds are still lacking on this display compared to a really high quality monitor - maybe I'm just expecting too much, but my Lumia 920 nails the reds more adequately. Will hopefully figure out a solution. Don't take these comments to in any way mean the screen is not good. It is. Up there with the best of them on tablets.

Updated impressions now that I have used it some more. I love the backlit keys. They dim pretty fast when not in use so that is nice.

One thing I didn't mention before but if you're upgrading from a previous windows 8.1 device it saves your profile and if you log in with your Microsoft account you can select to sync to that old profile. Then it will update and have all your apps on the start menu, there will be a little download symbol on them and you just have to click and they start downloading. Super nice.

Right now I think my biggest complaint is the trackpad behaves odd at times and there isn't really settings to adjust for it. By odd I mean now and again it seems like the cursor jumps to a hot corner. Now and again I do accidently double tap on the pad when I didn't mean to.

I loaded up Adera which always ran kind of sluggishly on my old RT but with the 2 it worked just fine. I don't play too many games on my tablet, just never seem to be able to focus.

So all in all I am very glad I did the upgrade. Oh and having the 200GB of skydrive space for 2 years will be nice. I think at this point even having just a 32 gig isn't that bad. Maybe if space starts becoming tight I'll get an SD card.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Right now I think my biggest complaint is the trackpad behaves odd at times and there isn't really settings to adjust for it. By odd I mean now and again it seems like the cursor jumps to a hot corner. Now and again I do accidently double tap on the pad when I didn't mean to.

Did you use the first gen type (touch?) cover with the first RT? Is the new type (touch?) cover worth the $50 bump?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Keep in mind, this is actually about 5-7fps less than what it will look like normally because of the hit you get by recording in Fraps. I'll try to shoot off-screen video sometime to show you the difference.

ya I just noticed your comment up top! Very impressive. Can't wait to play it, I'm at 90 percent.

also, fun fact. you can see every single GAF thread on the first page in portrait mode.

NeOak

Did you use the first gen type (touch?) cover with the first RT? Is the new type (touch?) cover worth the $50 bump?

The keys in the type cover 2 feel improved vs the old type cover. As for the touchpad, its a matter of getting used to it. But the texture around the keyboard is like the touch cover, so it feels softer and more slim.

Also, running FFXIV benchmark with the shipping drivers and the Intel drivers from their website. I'll post it in a bit.

I didn't use the type cover with my RT just the touch and my plan was to get the new touch but well that didn't work. The trackpad seemed slightly better on my touch on the RT, which is weird.

To me it is worth the upgrade for the backlit keys but if you don't care about that then the original type cover should be fine to be honest. (I played around with it at Best Buy and seemed nice).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The keys in the type cover 2 feel improved vs the old type cover. As for the touchpad, its a matter of getting used to it. But the texture around the keyboard is like the touch cover, so it feels softer and more slim.

Also, running FFXIV benchmark with the shipping drivers and the Intel drivers from their website. I'll post it in a bit.

I didn't use the type cover with my RT just the touch and my plan was to get the new touch but well that didn't work. The trackpad seemed slightly better on my touch on the RT, which is weird.

To me it is worth the upgrade for the backlit keys but if you don't care about that then the original type cover should be fine to be honest. (I played around with it at Best Buy and seemed nice).

Thanks fellas. I'm still debating on whether to grab a first gen model or not. The backlit is something I would like, but if it the keys feel better for typing, then I will probably pick it up.

Laconic

Banned
Damn it. There is a dead/stuck pixel area, right in the top center of my screen. Looks like I'm returning it. I bought it for art. This is not acceptable.

I just ordered mine!
I ordered a 256gb Surface Pro 2 with a Cyan Blue Type Cover 2. : ))))
Pretty happy, even though it's pricey. It should ship by december 15th!!! (I can wait :D)

NeOak

Final Fantasy XIV Character Benchmark scores:

* Used the shipping driver, its a newer version than the one in the Intel website and works. The one from Intel crashes and wont run the benchmark.
* Balanced Power Setting, Changed to "Maximum Performance" in Power Options for the Intel GPU while plugged in.
* Surface Pro 2 8GB RAM/256GB SSD

720p Full Screen
iboSuw45zWz91g.jpg
Code:
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Official Benchmark (Character Creation)
Tested on:10/22/2013 9:43:22 PM
Score:3903
Average Framerate:31.872
Performance:High
 -Easily capable of running the game. Should perform well, even at higher resolutions.

Screen Size: 1280x720
Screen Mode: Full Screen
Graphics Presets: Standard (Laptop)

720p Borderless Window
Code:
Tested on:10/22/2013 9:51:52 PM
Score:1935
Average Framerate:15.283
Performance:Slightly Low
 -Capable of running the game, but may experience some slowdown. Adjust settings to improve performance.

Screen Mode: Borderless Windowed

1080p Full Screen
Code:
Tested on:10/22/2013 9:59:02 PM
Score:1911
Average Framerate:15.103
 -Capable of running the game, but may experience some slowdown. Adjust settings to improve performance.

Screen Size: 1920x1080

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
After my first day of use.... this is easily the best tablet ever made

what's strange is on the surface pro 2, its the metro side is the most impressive, the desktop side just gives me ease of mind and flexibility.

I wish the battery life was better, and ill be all over the power cover when it launches

I haven't gotten my email confirming my purchase yet...
I checked my order history and my surface pro 2 didn't show up or my type cover 2. : (
I JUST ordered it though... Did it take awhile for people to get their emails?
edit: also where do I order the microsoft complete warranty for the surface pro 2?

moowear

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to run it!

Final Fantasy XIV Character Benchmark scores:

* Used the shipping driver, its a newer version than the one in the Intel website and works. The one from Intel crashes and wont run the benchmark.
* Balanced Power Setting, Changed to "Maximum Performance" in Power Options for the Intel GPU while plugged in.
* Surface Pro 2 8GB RAM/256GB SSD

720p Full Screen

Code:
Tested on:10/22/2013 9:43:22 PM
Score:3903
Average Framerate:31.872
Performance:High
 -Easily capable of running the game. Should perform well, even at higher resolutions.

720p Borderless Window

Code:
Tested on:10/22/2013 9:51:52 PM
Score:1935
Average Framerate:15.283

Screen Mode: Borderless Windowed

1080p Full Screen

Code:
Tested on:10/22/2013 9:59:02 PM
Score:1911
Average Framerate:15.103

Screen Size: 1920x1080

Animator

Do we have any gaffers here who use zbrush and have the 8gb version of surface pro?

I am dying to get some benchmarks and hear how smooth it runs.

VertPin

If I purchase the Pro 2, will I be able to install desktop programs (such as FFXIV) onto desktop mode? Is the Pro model a full fledged computer?

Went to my local Best Buy to check out the Surface 2. First off, traffic was slow but it was only 1pm. The MS rep there had cupcakes and balloons to celebrate the launch. One lady picked up the new S2 and while doing so a couple of ladies asked her about her choice. Seems they trusted her more than the MS rep. Impressions? S2 is flat out gorgeous and premium. Thick compared to the new iPad Air but the full sized USB 3.0 port is awesome. I could have and wanted to pull the trigger but I'll wait until I see the performance of the new Atom Bay Trail tablets.

Still no confirmation of purchase from email. :(
To those who ordered online, did you guys get your confirmation email/receipt soon? I ordered my 256gb pro 2 a few hours ago. : (

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
What resolution is Halo Spartan Assault running on the Surface 2? Also, at what framerate?

My Surface 2 is backordered according to Best Buy. I have to get it from a retail store tomorrow. :/

Top Bottom