• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

senahorse

Couple of questions regarding graphics performance with SP2

1. Am I better off sticking with the supplied video driver or downloading one direct from Intel?
  2. Under power settings there is a section for graphics performance, the default is balanced, if I change to maximum performance will it help?

Questions aside, I am loving the performance of this device :)

1. Am I better off sticking with the supplied video driver or downloading one direct from Intel?
  2. Under power settings there is a section for graphics performance, the default is balanced, if I change to maximum performance will it help?

1) Possible but it could also be buggier too.
2) Probably not. Read this:http://variableghz.com/2010/11/power-saver-balanced-or-high-performance/

Really wanting reviews on the new bay trail 8" tablets from Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, and Acer.

Then there's the rumored Surface Mini.

sammich

So in terms of tablets in the 1000$ price ranges, would you guys say that the Face2 Pro is the best out there on the market. When the original came out i didnt want to jump in. Just like buying the first model year of a car i wait till at least the 3rd year(but i mostly buy the last year of that model). It seems like its decently capable with games as well and the battery life has greatly improved. Only thing i guess i wish it had was LTE or cellular data but i guess i can grab a wireless stick from Rogers or WIND etc and use that instead and stop the data plan on my phone.

Just wish it was maybe a little bigger, maybe 14" with some sort of GPU but not sure how that would work in terms of portability.

NeOak

Post 787 for more info.

1. Yes, the shipping driver is the newest one. The one downloaded from Intel crashes.
2. Maybe 1 fps more. I set it to Max Perf while plugged in anyway.

1) Possible but it could also be buggier too.
2) Probably not. Read this:http://variableghz.com/2010/11/power-saver-balanced-or-high-performance/

He means the option for the Intel GPU inside the configuration foe the power plan, not the Power plan per se.

hwalker84

Best Buy still hasn't shipped my touch cover 2.... WTF! If only I didn't use a gift card I'd cancel and pick it up locally.

Anyone with Surface Pro 1's have any experience with screen protectors? Are they necessary? I know it's a glass panel and should be scratch resistant, but after dropping so much money on this, I'm a little paranoid.

Anyone with Surface Pro 1's have any experience with screen protectors? Are they necessary? I know it's a glass panel and should be scratch resistant, but after dropping so much money on this, I'm a little paranoid.

Had my Pro for a year now with no screen protector. No scratches, and I don't think I'll add a screen protector since I draw on it.
I had a screen protector that came with the bundle but mess up the application

White Man

So what you mean is your on the odd number line. You will get a Surface 3.

Yeah, it's a lot easier to resist once I consider that my current surface pro is only 8 months old. The only really big change that would make a big difference for me is battery life.

MCD

Yeah, it's a lot easier to resist once I consider that my current surface pro is only 8 months old. The only really big change that would make a big difference for me is battery life.

Which the Battery Cover might fix it for you till Surface 3.

Izuna

Banned

You can download from Intel fine, but afaik 8.1 is shipped with a working driver (no crash on OpenGL) so no need to care about it.

I have mine set to balanced and customised the settings to be high for High Performance. I used to have problems with many laptops setting it to High Performance so I avoid it, just customise the settings inside as you see fit.

For example, when I close the lid, the Surface Pro will still run if it is plugged in. This is great if I have media servers running etc.

Anarkin

Has anyone else ran into any issues while updating the Surface 2? I had 2 graphic glitches like below during the installation.

ibiHeL9hGcXpqP.jpg

I didn't restart the S2 and just waited. After a while the S2 restarted so I ran the Windows Update again. The installation is now complete and I had no errors in the last 3 hours since the update.

But even after all the trouble, I'm loving it. Battery life is also great, after 6 hours still 67% left.

NeOak

You can download from Intel fine, but afaik 8.1 is shipped with a working driver (no crash on OpenGL) so no need to care about it.

I have mine set to balanced and customised the settings to be high for High Performance. I used to have problems with many laptops setting it to High Performance so I avoid it, just customise the settings inside as you see fit.

For example, when I close the lid, the Surface Pro will still run if it is plugged in. This is great if I have media servers running etc.

I tried the most recent one from the Intel website. FFIXV benchmark crashed everytime I tried to run it.

Maybe latter versions, but atm, the one that comes with it is the one to use.

Has anyone else ran into any issues while updating the Surface 2? I had 2 graphic glitches like below during the installation.

I didn't restart the S2 and just waited. After a while the S2 restarted so I ran the Windows Update again. The installation is now complete and I had no errors in the last 3 hours since the update.

But even after all the trouble, I'm loving it. Battery life is also great, after 6 hours still 67% left.
I had this happen to me, mine has been doing it randomly over the past 24 hours, I'm sending it back to be replaced as its obviously faulty. Its great while I'm using it, but then BAM it's frozen.

Anastasia

The only weird issue I've had so far that is software related (I think), is a "dead" pixel that would only show up in Internet Explorer, but in no other apps. It's not here anymore though, so I guess maybe just having the tablet closed for a bit fixed it? Either way, that's the closest thing to a software issue I've had so far.

I'm really impressed with the battery life too. It just keeps going and going, even after using it very heavily. Mine was at 38% when I opened it today.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
do I really need to update to this pro 2?? I really like this one, but I am one of those people that will upgrade if it is worth it.

I could just sell this one I guess.

Special C

It makes me sad with all the Xbox One blunders and the weaker hardware on the console side. The Surface Pro 2 is an amazing peice of hardware so you know Microsoft can pull it off.

Anyone know if the 8GB Pro is necessary over the 4GB if you're just using it for stuff like Visual Studio development and lower-end gaming (small Steam games, Windows Store stuff)?

Going w/ the 4GB would be a nice $200 or so savings if it was possible to run VS without too many issues for developing store apps.

Anyone know if the 8GB Pro is necessary over the 4GB if you're just using it for stuff like Visual Studio development and lower-end gaming (small Steam games, Windows Store stuff)?

Going w/ the 4GB would be a nice $200 or so savings if it was possible to run VS without too many issues for developing store apps.

I would just go with 4GB, that's what I did. I plan to do VS13 stuff in addition to using Adobe CC programs and my general RAM usage in 8.1 on my desktop is ~4.5GB so I'm not terribly worried.

kurbaan

Banned
I would just go with 4GB, that's what I did. I plan to do VS13 stuff in addition to using Adobe CC programs and my general RAM usage in 8.1 on my desktop is ~4.5GB so I'm not terribly worried.

Shouldnt you be worried? If you use 4.5 in general use the 4GB might cause you problems

Shouldnt you be worried? If you use 4.5 in general use the 4GB might cause you problems
Nah because I know what pushes me over, which is Chrome. If I kill it I'm down to like ~3GB. I kinda wanna switch to IE11, it seems to use less RAM in my experience.

edit: looking at Task Manager, PS and Illustrator combined are only using about 600MB.

Thanks for the reply. :)

I have a 10% off coupon through uni that's good till the end of the year so I was thinking of using it since I want to get into app development.

Thanks for the reply. :)

I have a 10% off coupon through uni that's good till the end of the year so I was thinking of using it since I want to get into app development.

Yeah, that's what pushed me over to get one. Saving $100 isn't bad, and I really wanna mess around with W8 app development. Have you checked out Dreamspark?

Yeah, that's what pushed me over to get one. Saving $100 isn't bad, and I really wanna mess around with W8 app development. Have you checked out Dreamspark?

I had MSDNAA through my uni when I was doing graduate studies there. I still have the VS2012 code that's unused, probably will do the $99 upgrade to VS2013.

EDIT: Got the coupon because my uni lets me keep my email since it's through Google Apps.

I had MSDNAA through my uni when I was doing graduate studies there. I still have the VS2012 code that's unused, probably will do the $99 upgrade to VS2013.

EDIT: Got the coupon because my uni lets me keep my email since it's through Google Apps.

If you still have the address and your university is in the Dreamspark list you can qualify for VS13 and some other useful stuff for development, so it might be worth looking into.

Anarkin

I had this happen to me, mine has been doing it randomly over the past 24 hours, I'm sending it back to be replaced as its obviously faulty. Its great while I'm using it, but then BAM it's frozen.

Will get mine now definitely replaced, after a factory reset and the same failure while updating. Good thing is, MS will send me a new S2 and pick up the old.

The only weird issue I've had so far that is software related (I think), is a "dead" pixel that would only show up in Internet Explorer, but in no other apps. It's not here anymore though, so I guess maybe just having the tablet closed for a bit fixed it? Either way, that's the closest thing to a software issue I've had so far.

A pixel failure would drive me crazy. Hope it won't come back. ;)

Laconic

Banned
Will get mine now definitely replaced, after a factory reset and the same failure while updating. Good thing is, MS will send me a new S2 and pick up the old.

A pixel failure would drive me crazy. Hope it won't come back. ;)

It ruins it. :/

Fortunately, and much to their credit, MS Customer Service was very reasonable about refunding me.

mhi

The Pro edition is way too expensive if they want to really put a dent in Apple's marketshare. $300+ more than the regular...

NeOak

Like Automatisch, do a test run of the heaviest work you do and see how much RAM you use.

I got the 8GB to make it more future proof.

Glip_Glop

Anyone's screen randomly auto brightens when you switch from metro to the desktop and vice versa? I have turned the auto brightness off. Also, I have noticeable light bleed when the screen is all black. I'm not overly concerned about it, my Kindle Fire was the same way.

sca2511

I was looking into the Tap 11, but this kinda turned me away from it:

Engadget review.

What other device would be a good alternative for the Surface Pro 2? Venue Pro 11? Pretty much looking for best bang per buck.

I was pretty impressed with how thin the Tap 11 is, but I also read in a review that it gets pretty hot when playing games or the like. Also looking at the laptop convertibles, like the Sony VAIO Flip 13, but I saw some reviews saying the NTRIG pen isn't as good as the Wacom. Decisions.

NeOak

Hmm, what other device would be a good alternative for the Surface Pro 2? Venue Pro 11? Pretty much looking for best bang per buck.

I was also looking at the laptop convertibles, like the Sony VAIO Flip 13, but I saw some reviews saying the NTRIG pen isn't as good as the Wacom.

It isn't. My Dell Latitude XT is 1st gen N-trig. Took forever to get working drivers. I also got a Duo 13 before getting a Surface Pro. The difference between the n-trig pen (and the AAAA battery >.>) vs the Wacom from the surface was just a bit noticeable for me in Onenote. Probably would have been better had I taken more time to calibrate it. (I returned it due to the Wi-Fi shitty performance)

It works in 99.9% of the cases, but when you want that 0.01% detail, the Wacom wins.

TBH, the Pro 2 is the best bang for the buck. Or you could go with an original Pro.

NeOak

Yeah, from what I've gathered, it seems like it is.

My dad was considering a Lenovo Thinkpad Helix. When he saw my Surface Pro, he decided to see the Pro 2 first. When I got this Pro 2, he decided to jump on it, thanks to the dock and the power keyboard coming early next year.

I'm posting from my Surface Pro 2 with the type cover (which feels superior to the first one, and that one was already awesome) and it's giving me around 7 more hours of estimated battery life (91% left) with the Battery Saver power plan. The original Pro would have shown like 4 hours.

It's already good, I can only imagine with the power keyboard. Jesus.

Top Bottom