• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

Husker86

I can see that. But I don't see it being a problem for Apple and their iOS platform. They still have a successful (profitable) Macintosh business even though iOS won't run on Macintosh computers. And we all know how popular their iOS platform is, and it won't run ANY Macintosh apps.

Isn't the idea to get the Metro OS on a tablet because the Metro OS is an appealing touch interface for a tablet? I know Metro OS is way more natural to use through it's touch interface than it is with a keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

Microsoft didn't blunder with the design of Surface RT.

They blundered in the MARKETING of Windows RT. They also may the mistake of trying to keep OEMs happy by not lowering the cost of the unit by $150 initially.

Anyway when would you propose they "cut the cord" per say? Android/iOS/Kindle OS devices are going to continue to become more and more popular.

I was more referring to the article stating that RT is going to be the main Windows version in the future, dropping legacy support. If they go that route (obviously can't be too much sooner than 5-10 years from now if that's their plan) they cannot restrict app installs that aren't from their store.

Well, they can, but I don't think that will work out for them.

Mindwipe

I can see that. But I don't see it being a problem for Apple and their iOS platform. They still have a successful (profitable) Macintosh business even though iOS won't run on Macintosh computers. And we all know how popular their iOS platform is, and it won't run ANY Macintosh apps.

It's unquestionably a problem for Apple too.

But they have gotten away with it due to first mover advantage. Microsoft don't have that.

iJudged

Banned
Quick question, should I go for sp2 or with sp and save around $300, is sp2 worth it really?

I can get the sp for $600 atm of off eBay or cl, if I get sp2 it will be the cheapest ver, $900 one.

Ryu1999

Quick question, should I go for sp2 or with sp and save around $300, is sp2 worth it really?

I can get the sp for $600 atm of off eBay or cl, if I get sp2 it will be the cheapest ver, $900 one.

I'm just going to buy the Power Cover when it comes out since battery life is (to me) the only noticeable improvement for the SP2

iJudged

Banned
I'm just going to buy the Power Cover when it comes out since battery life is (to me) the only noticeable improvement for the SP2
Nice, I heard few people say that same exact thing, I think I will most likely just get the sp and the power cover. Do you on know when the power cover is going to be available? Also, do you recommend any good docking stations? I will get the one Microsoft is releasing in January I believe I just need something for now. I have the RT and browsing the Web and YouTube is dreadful, gets laggy, I can't stand it, getting on ign or some of the other sites is gets very slow.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
My 256 with black type cover, preordered day 1, tried to bill in preparation for shipping this morning. My Amex marked it as a potentially fraudulent charge. Accordingly, MS cancelled the order. I tried to reinstate it, but the date for 256 is now mid December, and the black type cover can't even be ordered anymore.

FUCK

Does anyone know if these are gonna be in brick and mortar stores Monday? Any way I could rebuild this order on the fly? Because this is total horseshit, I needed this fucking thing NOW, for work.

ElNino

Nice, I heard few people say that same exact thing, I think I will most likely just get the sp and the power cover. Do you on know when the power cover is going to be available? Also, do you recommend any good docking stations? I will get the one Microsoft is releasing in January I believe I just need something for now. I have the RT and browsing the Web and YouTube is dreadful, gets laggy, I can't stand it, getting on ign or some of the other sites is gets very slow.
I have been using this one on my Surface Pro. Plugable UD-3000

It works great for me, and will do everything the official MS one can (with more ports) except for charge the Surface. However, I think the additional ports (and likely lower price) outweigh the charging aspect.

Sigma722

My 256 with black type cover, preordered day 1, tried to bill in preparation for shipping this morning. My Amex marked it as a potentially fraudulent charge. Accordingly, MS cancelled the order. I tried to reinstate it, but the date for 256 is now mid December, and the black type cover can't even be ordered anymore.

FUCK

Does anyone know if these are gonna be in brick and mortar stores Monday? Any way I could rebuild this order on the fly? Because this is total horseshit, I needed this fucking thing NOW, for work.

Dude. DUDE. You should give MS a call. I hear that their customer service is absolutely terrible, but that is bullshit.

Depending on what market you are in you might be able to find a 256 at a best buy on monday. If you have a local MS store you can call them too.

Edit: I'd also call AmEx and make a fuss. They are obviously looking out for your best interest, but it is really costing you in this situation. Might see if they will cover you buying one in the after market or something like that on release day. Supposedly AmEx has good customer service. Maybe they'd even talk to MS for you?? lol

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Dude. DUDE. You should give MS a call. I hear that their customer service is absolutely terrible, but that is bullshit.

Depending on what market you are in you might be able to find a 256 at a best buy on monday. If you have a local MS store you can call them too.

I did call, my info about the dates and no-cover is from the guy I talked to. :\

I'm in Chicago, I guess there's a Microsoft Store on Michigan avenue, I'll give them a call. Got a Best Buy near my apartment I'll check with too if the MS store doesn't tell me what I want to hear.

FUCK

My local bestbuy said they are getting them next week.

iJudged

Banned
I have been using this one on my Surface Pro. Plugable UD-3000

It works great for me, and will do everything the official MS one can (with more ports) except for charge the Surface. However, I think the additional ports (and likely lower price) outweigh the charging aspect.

Perfect, I will just get that one and I will be set. Thanks! Have you tried gaming on it? I've seen some videos and it seems to be able to handle WoW and GW2 just fine.

KevinRo

I've never bought into the tablet craze from any company. If I ever did buy one it would be hands down a Surface Pro. I just hate the idea of an oversized cellphone OS on a laptop sized screen. Feels gimped. Seriously, having a full fledged desktop OS is the only choice for a tablet, but it is so damn expensive.

Microsoft made an amazing product. That's not something I thought I'd ever say.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
My credit card fraud center declined the transaction? DECLINED/?!

WELP

someone is gonna have to pay if I can't get my purchase by December...

I'm just gonna hit up the local Microsoft store...I would assume they'll have the 256gb in stock.

I wish they offered the 128gb w/8gb ram.

dem

This Microsoft store...
I've had to call them twice to confirm shipping address.

What the hell microsoft?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
My credit card fraud center declined the transaction? DECLINED/?!

WELP

someone is gonna have to pay if I can't get my purchase by December...

Man me too, what is it about the Surface 2 that these credit cards hate?

Called Amex, called MS again, still hosed over here. Only choice is gonna be to show up at the MS store or Best Buy monday morning and pray they got more units than their preorders.

DopeyFish

Man me too, what is it about the Surface 2 that these credit cards hate?

Called Amex, called MS again, still hosed over here. Only choice is gonna be to show up at the MS store or Best Buy monday morning and pray they got more units than their preorders.

Microsoft never did email a cancellation notice, my bank called

it still says in process, but someone from MS is going to call back "within the next 24-48 hours"... Thanks? I guess?

seriously, they should still allocate the stock and prep shipment and only cancel after a predetermined time until payment could not be rectified... These things happen and they should take accommodating steps

Ian

I had the same problem, my bank declined payment last night so Microsoft instantly cancelled the order. WTF? At least give me a chance to sort it out, ffs!

I called the bank to authorise the payment, then called Microsoft. They couldn't (wouldn't) attempt a repayment as the order was already cancelled, so they made the same order on my behalf. All good, except the estimated date for my surface is now the 29th Oct, so I have to wait a whole week more (first world problem, I know, but I'm REALLY looking forward to getting my hands on it!).

ElNino

Perfect, I will just get that one and I will be set. Thanks! Have you tried gaming on it? I've seen some videos and it seems to be able to handle WoW and GW2 just fine.
Sorry, I haven't done much gaming on my Surface and most that I have done has been on the Surface itself, not on my external monitor.

DopeyFish

What's worse is Microsoft split my order into two because of an error on their end

sooooo

I will get a type cover 2 on launch day but not the tablet itself... Yyyaaayyyy

dem

Reviewers aren't exactly kind to the surface..

They will spend half the review bashing the windows store

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

That is going to happen no matter what. Why not get people hyped about the device?

Hell, if you can give people early versions of the product in the agreement that they don't review it until X day, why not give it to them with the expectation that they only review the hardware itself until X day. Say nothing of the app store, etc.

DopeyFish

and then ignore legacy application support, state their disappointment its not the same price as iPad then say something factually incorrect or completely misleading "there is no Facebook app!" "there is few accessories available!"

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
and then ignore legacy application support, state their disappointment its not the same price as iPad then say something factually incorrect or completely misleading "there is no Facebook app!" "there is few accessories available!"

Seriously. At some point it gets downright libelous

Dazzla

Anyone in the UK going into a John Lewis to purchase on day one? Added benefit of 2 years warranty. I'm hoping they have more than the black touch cover 2. The UK can't order any other colour on the microsoft store, is that the case in the US? I'm eager for a purple one!

Hey, so I had a Surface 2 Pro preordered but cancelled it a couple weeks ago because I couldn't justify the expense.

I do want to upgrade my current RT TouchPad to the next version as that is all I really need but it was back ordered. Do you guys think I have a chance of being able to walk into Best Buy on Tuesday to pick one up?

Also my RT has been working much better after the 8.1 update, mainly browsing isn't as jarring and slow so that makes me happy. :)

Hmm, didn't know Best Buy did that... maybe I will trade in to get the Surface 2 then... that isn't such a bad deal. I really don't mind RT. Hmm... options....

Glip_Glop

FUCK

Ugh, Amex did that to me for the iPhone 5 preorder. I have learned my lesson and always call them before a big purchase now. Amex is a love/hate relationship for me, but my card was compromised last week and they were on the ball.

Top Bottom