• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

Animator

Right, meaning? The pen comment was related to whatever art app might have been available.
Surely i couldn't use it to do serious art work (my home PC sometimes struggles with the file sizes, i can't see a tablet being able to handle it) so i assume it would mostly be for sketches, which i think isn't interesting enough to justify the price, for me anyway.

I've seen the Tested review of the Surface 2 and they were pretty critical of it, the more i read about tablets, the more confused i am, lol.

Define "serious artwork"?

I have used the first surface to sculpt models for films and did a ton of concept art on it, and surface 2 is way faster by all benchmarks. You can definitely use it to do any kind of artwork. You would not be running fluid sims on the thing but that is not what it is for. It is perfectly suited for sculpting, sketching, light 3d animation, modeling what have you.

--

Also I am fucking tired of waiting for surface pro 2 256gb to be available and will probably go pick up a 128gb version later today :(

Dazzla

A Surface 2?

o_O

It's like trying to paint a line on a wall throwing paint with the can.

You should have gone with the Pro that has the Wacom digitizer. :(

Nah, the pro is overkill for me. I will rarely be drawing on the screen. I'm not any sort of artist, I work in engineering, it would've just been nice to make quick sketches in one note better.

MCD

"Surface devices may dim the screen as thermal temperatures rise from extended, high CPU intensive activities-- like gaming. In some scenarios this does not appear necessary. Our top priority is for customers to have the best possible experience on their Surface device. We’re working on a tuning update that will remove this unnecessary dimming event. You can expect this update in an upcoming Windows Update package. In the meantime allow the Surface to cool down for a minute or so in order to return the screen to previous brightness levels.”

http://www.winbeta.org/news/surface...acing-unnecessary-screen-dimming-update-works

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
"Surface devices may dim the screen as thermal temperatures rise from extended, high CPU intensive activities-- like gaming. In some scenarios this does not appear necessary. Our top priority is for customers to have the best possible experience on their Surface device. We’re working on a tuning update that will remove this unnecessary dimming event. You can expect this update in an upcoming Windows Update package. In the meantime allow the Surface to cool down for a minute or so in order to return the screen to previous brightness levels.”

http://www.winbeta.org/news/surface...acing-unnecessary-screen-dimming-update-works

That's nice, now stop dimming my screen just because I'm displaying darker colors, and we'll have gotten somewhere. Intel drivers, pls.

NeOak

For those close to a Microcenter:

Surface RT with a Touch Cover for 180+tax on Black Friday.

In store only guys, you'll have to get out of the couch.

asdad123

For those close to a Microcenter:

Surface RT with a Touch Cover for 180+tax on Black Friday.

In store only guys, you'll have to get out of the couch.

Such a good deal. I'm picking up one for my friend who was eyeing the $199 price from Best Buy. Already placed the order and got confirmation.

If he doesn't want it, it will make a nice gift for someone.

UrbanRats

Define "serious artwork"?

I have used the first surface to sculpt models for films and did a ton of concept art on it, and surface 2 is way faster by all benchmarks. You can definitely use it to do any kind of artwork. You would not be running fluid sims on the thing but that is not what it is for. It is perfectly suited for sculpting, sketching, light 3d animation, modeling what have you.

Yep that has been clarified, i underestimated the specs of the SP2.
However the Surface Pro 2 is also out of my price range by a lot.

Or are you talking about the regular Surface 2? Because that doesn't have the wacom pen support, AFAIK.

Animator

Yep that has been clarified, i underestimated the specs of the SP2.
However the Surface Pro 2 is also out of my price range by a lot.

Or are you talking about the regular Surface 2? Because that doesn't have the wacom pen support, AFAIK.

No I was talking about surface pro. Regular surface can't run windows desktop apps anyway and is useless for any art work.

Younger bro needs a simple laptop that uses Office for school and my dad needs to replace his decade-old desktop.

BAM

Surface RT (BF sale) for the bro
Surface Pro 2 for the pops

Follow up.

So from Sunday to today I've owned an iPad mini with retina that Best Buy was kind enough to exchange for my Surface 2 that wouldn't get past the boot screen. Why did I take the mini? Because all the Best Buy stores in the South Bay (los Angeles) were sold out and they wouldn't tell me when they were scheduled to get a new shipment. I was impatient...I didn't want to leave that store with just "store credit". So I caved. Hell, I was curious about the new Apple device. Why not take it. I mean I'd owned the Surface RT2 for a month and I'd barely touched the Office Suite. I was using it as a traditional tablet anyway. Netflix, People app, B of A, Mobi, ...When I left the store on Saturday with the mini I wasn't happy, but at least I had a quality tablet.

But after 4 days of extensive usage...after buying iBank, Real Boxing and a couple other apps to fill the time....I still wasn't happy with my decision.

Well, I checked Best Buy today...saw there were two stores that "reportedly" had shipments come in of the RT2. I went to the closest one to my work and exchanged the mini retina for another Microsoft non-Win32 tablet.

A few things I discovered while owning Apple's iPad mini.
1) I hate having to use itunes to do something as simple as add songs that are on my work computer to my tablet simply because what's in my itunes library at work is different from my itunes library on my home computer.
2) even though the retina mini has a higher resolution screen, it's size and aspect ratio makes it less enjoyable to use in landscape mode. (which is my fav mode to do anything on a tablet
3) I REALLY missed the usb port. I mean..keyboard, flash drives, external hard drive..
4) even though iOS has 4 finger gestures to make the system "appear" to multitask, it pales compared to the feeling of doing multiple things simultaneously RT 8.1 provides
5) Internet Explorer 11 is my favorite browser by FAR on a tablet. I installed the Atomic Browser skin on the retina mini, used it...liked it....but it never really impressed me like using IE 11 did.

In a nutshell...for me...if this hardware can continue to work and not bitch out on me again, Microsoft will have my $$$ on the RT platform as long as they keep supporting it.

It's the best tablet OS. imo
Hell...I enjoyed the simplicity of Amazon's 8.9 tablet OS more than using iOS. It just wasn't enjoyable to me.

Question. Does anyone think that heat could have been the cause of my hard drive issue? There was a message that came up on my old system right before it got stuck in the boot mode. It was a blue screen that referenced a storage device error.

I've been keeping the Surface in this for the past two weeks.

Watevaman

Is there any benefit to having an SD card in the Surface versus using USB flash drives? Do the SD cards allow you to install stuff directly to them or something?

Just curious because there storage for sale all over the place today and I ordered a few 32 gig flash drives but I might also pick up a 64 gig microSDXC card if it's worth it.

Mael

I knew I wasn't imagining things!

strata8

Bought a Netgear PTV3000 ($65) to see how well Miracast works. After everything was updated it went really well - rented a movie from Xbox Video and played some videos and everything was super smooth for the most part. It's almost surreal streaming 1080p/5.1 seamlessly after the quality problems I've had with PlayTo (w/ the Xbox) and Airplay Mirroring + the iPad.

A future where TVs and projectors have Miracast built-in would really be something :)

Also another plus for the Surface while projecting. If you tell Windows to 'Do nothing' when you fold the type/touch cover, it will still turn off the built-in display. So I have the external display set to 'duplicate' all the time, and when I close the cover it effectively only displays on the TV. To play/pause/whatever I just open the cover, the display on the tablet turns back on, and I can do whatever I need.

Super convenient, and it doesn't affect the battery life during normal usage because it goes to sleep after 2 minutes anyway.

Is there any benefit to having an SD card in the Surface versus using USB flash drives? Do the SD cards allow you to install stuff directly to them or something?

Just curious because there storage for sale all over the place today and I ordered a few 32 gig flash drives but I might also pick up a 64 gig microSDXC card if it's worth it.

They're treated the same by the OS, so nothing apart from the obvious. Ie, USB drives taking up the port and sticking out the side.

So does the driver fix from Wacom for the Surface Pro to enable pen pressure sensitivity in apps that only support Wacom stuff (like Photoshop etc.) work on the Surface 2 Pro? (or does it even work out the box?)

I'm really tempted to pick one up as my Christmas present to myself for drawing on.

So does the driver fix from Wacom for the Surface Pro to enable pen pressure sensitivity in apps that only support Wacom stuff (like Photoshop etc.) work on the Surface 2 Pro? (or does it even work out the box?)

I'm really tempted to pick one up as my Christmas present to myself for drawing on.
You have to download the Wacom 'feel' driver, then yes, pressure sensitivity works in Photoshop.

maeh2k

Received my Surface 2 this week. Haven't had much time to set it up, but so far I like the hardware a lot.

I kind of wish I had gotten a Touch Cover, though. Didn't have a choice, since it was a bundle with a Type Cover.
I would have appreciated a thinner cover without moveable keys. When you fold it back you have the same issue as the Lenovo Yoga.

Portrait mode with the widescreen display actually works surprisingly well. In Gaming or OT you can see all 50 topics on a page at once.

Watevaman

Ok, twice in a row now I've had to force my SP2 into a restart using volume up + power button. First time was coming out from a sleep after about an hour. Kept hitting the power button and only the type cover would light up. Got it restarted, googled the problem, found a "solution" about maybe the wireless power management causing problems, so I stopped it from allowing windows to turn that off. Then hit the power button to put it into sleep and once again, wouldn't come out of sleep.

My Surface 2 just had me do some type of Bitlocker recovery. All I did earlier was shut down and hook the unit up to the power supply. Has this happened to anyone else?

rrs

Does anyone know where to get a type cover or an alternative for cheap? And what kind of port does the cover use, USB?

Said covers use a proprietary port, and I'm unsure of alternates for them than the usual generic bluetooth keyboard/trackpad cases

strata8

My Surface 2 just had me do some type of Bitlocker recovery. All I did earlier was shut down and hook the unit up to the power supply. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yep, but only after it wouldn't come out of sleep and had to force shutdown. Honestly thought all my stuff was erased or something lol

maeh2k

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know if you can get the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop with the US ANSI layout anywhere in Europe?

I think it might be a good fit for the Surface, since keyboard and mouse use a single USB port. I'd like to try the ergonomic design.

Edit: What do you guys do with an SD card?

I got a 32GB SD card bundled with the Surface 2. I'm not sure how much data I'll actually put on the Surface. If I go to the settings and set the SD card as the default location for pictures, videos, and music, what exactly does that mean? With Windows 8.1 is the default default location for music, videos, and pictures on SkyDrive?

ksdixon

I think as far as computing goes there is no question the Dell outclasses the Surface 2, but the thing is they are in the same class as far as price goes. Unless those points you listed are really that important, I just don't know how you can justify buying a Surface 2 when the Dell is only $50 more.

I like the idea of it, as Surface Pro 2 are just too pricey. SP2 itself I love because it's pure Windows 8.1, as MS intended Windows rather than bogged-down by manufactorer's preinstalled crap.

So the question becomes how much pre-installed Dell bloatware/processes are on this? My dad's Win8Pro laptop from... HP if I recall correctly was just... devestated by HP's bloatware/processes. Removing them slowed the laptop down and it degraded fast. He'd be better off getting a SurfaceRT or Surface2 next.

Animator

Went and bought a 128gb SP2 yesterday. This is pretty much the best piece of electronics I ever owned. I can't be happier with my purchase.

Now I need to find a touch cover 2 in stock somewhere because it seems it is completely sold out everywhere in Vancouver.

NeOak

Went and bought a 128gb SP2 yesterday. This is pretty much the best piece of electronics I ever owned. I can't be happier with my purchase.

Now I need to find a touch cover 2 in stock somewhere because it seems it is completely sold out everywhere in Vancouver.

I'd suggest you go for the Type Cover 2.

-Deimos

Got a used Surface Pro yesterday and it came without the stylus. I found some cheap Samsung Note 2 and Note 10.1 pens online, which one is better and are they good replacements for the Surface Pen? I looked for some actual surface pens but couldn't find any as cheap as the Samsung pens.

NeOak

Gazunta

Looks like the 256GB SP2 is sold out across Australia - not available on JB Hi Fi or Harvey Norman's website or the Microsoft AU Store.

Don't suppose anyone here knows any more info? I'm this close to finish saving up for mine :)

Animator

While its a Wacom pen, I can confirm that the Bamboo Feel works on Surface Pro.

Does the Feel have only one button position or two like the intuos pens?

I want to be able to set front click to MMB and back click to RMB like I can with intuos pen but I can't tell from the pics if the Feel has that.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Does the Feel have only one button position or two like the intuos pens?

I want to be able to set front click to MMB and back click to RMB like I can with intuos pen but I can't tell from the pics if the Feel has that.

One button.

Yep, but only after it wouldn't come out of sleep and had to force shutdown. Honestly thought all my stuff was erased or something lol

I love my Surface 2 and I think it's a much better tablet than the iPad mini retina or the Amazon Fire HD, but Microsoft really needs to iron out the little shit.

Firmware updates to Microsoft's Surface 2 tablets have locked some users out of their devices - unless they know their lengthy BitLocker recovery key.

The problem has been reported on Microsoft's Community Forums, where users complained of having to hunt around for their keys after installing updates, rebooting, and finding their devices locked.

Read more: Surface 2 owners locked out due to BitLocker bug | Security | News | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/securit...locked-out-due-to-bitlocker-bug#ixzz2mLTkf6OF

It wasn't that big an issue for me to log into the website and go through the steps to unlock my tablet, but it's an inconvenience that I bet I wouldn't encounter with Amazon or Apple.

And don't let me get started on the heat issue. Question for those running RT2. If any of you are running PINBALL FX 2, when the game is running and before you select a table there is a graphic image in the upper right portion of the screen that shows a ball with a flaming trail of fire coming from it. Doesn't it appear that the back of the Surface (on the back side of that image) gets unnaturally hot?

I mean, it's not like there are a LOT of games on the Surface 2. Didn't Microsoft run stress test during R&D?

If I don't have anything to worry about (my screen isn't dimming) I'd love some type of built in utility to run in the background that says "hey, your tablet is getting hot...stop doing what you're doing".

(I won't get into the fact that NOTHING I DO ON MY TABLET SHOULD REQUIRE ME TO STOP DOING IT. IT'S A FUCKING TABLET)

NeOak

I love my Surface 2 and I think it's a much better tablet than the iPad mini retina or the Amazon Fire HD, but Microsoft really needs to iron out the little shit.

It wasn't that big an issue for me to log into the website and go through the steps to unlock my tablet, but it's an inconvenience that I bet I wouldn't encounter with Amazon or Apple.

And don't let me get started on the heat issue. Question for those running RT2. If any of you are running PINBALL FX 2, when the game is running and before you select a table there is a graphic image in the upper right portion of the screen that shows a ball with a flaming trail of fire coming from it. Doesn't it appear that the back of the Surface (on the back side of that image) gets unnaturally hot?

I mean, it's not like there are a LOT of games on the Surface 2. Didn't Microsoft run stress test during R&D?

If I don't have anything to worry about (my screen isn't dimming) I'd love some type of built in utility to run in the background that says "hey, your tablet is getting hot...stop doing what you're doing".

(I won't get into the fact that NOTHING I DO ON MY TABLET SHOULD REQUIRE ME TO STOP DOING IT. IT'S A FUCKING TABLET)

Dat Tegra 4 with NVIDIA's awesome (not really) engineering.

stormer

hey guys so i dropped my surface pro 2 off my desk today by accident.. it works fine. HOWEVER the back hinge that opens up is severely dented.. what are my options?

thanks

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
hey guys so i dropped my surface pro 2 off my desk today by accident.. it works fine. HOWEVER the back hinge that opens up is severely dented.. what are my options?

thanks
Call Microsoft? probably under warranty.

Watevaman

Can someone explain why the screen keeps changing brightness simply based on the darkness of what's on the screen?

Say I go from Youtube to GAF, where I'm using the dark theme. When I go to GAF the screen actually darkens for no reason. If I go back to Youtube, it brightens up again but it does it in increments, not a smooth transition. I turned off the automatic brightness but it's still doing this.

Can someone explain why the screen keeps changing brightness simply based on the darkness of what's on the screen?

Say I go from Youtube to GAF, where I'm using the dark theme. When I go to GAF the screen actually darkens for no reason. If I go back to Youtube, it brightens up again but it does it in increments, not a smooth transition. I turned off the automatic brightness but it's still doing this.
What you're seeing is dynamic contrast. It should be solvable with a software update. Lots of people are complaining, but I don't know if MS are going to do anything about it. It's the most annoying thing about the Surface for me.

AnkitT

ok fuck i just ordered a sp2 right now, here's hoping it is worth it!

I was previously considering the venue 11 pro, but the stylus problems i've been reading about really pushed me away from it. So much money spent though.

Does the pro2 come with an office subscription or is that just an RT thing?

NeOak

ok fuck i just ordered a sp2 right now, here's hoping it is worth it!

I was previously considering the venue 11 pro, but the stylus problems i've been reading about really pushed me away from it. So much money spent though.

Does the pro2 come with an office subscription or is that just an RT thing?

RT, you'll need to get Office for the Pro.

Anony

why would u get warranty for user caused accidents?
if you bought that extra warranty, it does cover self accidents, i'm sure your ms salesman offered it to you, otherwise you'll have to live with it

also, i never seen this dynamic contrast in action, but im on pro 1, but i'm sure it would work the same way

Top Bottom