• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

I'm inching closer and closer to potentially getting a referral bonus at work that will get me either a 32GB Surface 2, or a giftcard to the Microsoft Store for the same value so I could get a larger capacity or go for the Surface Pro 2. I just need my candidate to get hired and 30 days later it will be mine!

I already have a Nexus 10, so I'm hoping I might be able to sell it to make up most of the difference in getting a Surface Pro 2.

why would u get warranty for user caused accidents?
if you bought that extra warranty, it does cover self accidents, i'm sure your ms salesman offered it to you, otherwise you'll have to live with it

also, i never seen this dynamic contrast in action, but im on pro 1, but i'm sure it would work the same way
Yeah it's on the Pro 1 as well. Be thankful that you haven't noticed. It's something that you cannot unsee.

Razdek

Banned
I like the build quality of the surfaces but they'll never be popular with consumers because they're too heavy and bulky in comparison to iPAD and Android tablets. Yes surfaces can do a lot more but the app advantage in those ecosystems pretty much nullifies it.

I like the build quality of the surfaces but they'll never be popular with consumers because they're too heavy and bulky in comparison to iPAD and Android tablets. Yes surfaces can do a lot more but the app advantage in those ecosystems pretty much nullifies it.

What's the defacto tablet being purchased by schools prior to September? iPad 2? iPad 3?

The Surface 2 isn't noticeably more cumbersome than those two tablets and millions of people use those comfortably every day.

The best thing about the Apple ecosystem are the available games. If a person isn't a big game player and they are using their tablet for email, facebook, twitter, reading news (Bing News, Microsoft News app), Netflix, Hulu Plus and browsing the web I think they would be mostly happy with the Surface 2.

Off topic: Bitlocker Lock up AGAIN today. Fricken started up my tablet and I had to log into a website, send myself a text with a code, that gave me access to a long ass number that I had to enter on a desktop machine...before I could log back into my Surface 2.

STUPID.

Ok..the system being too hot for extended gaming sessions, and this system update issues are pretty much bullshit for a tablet imo.

And for the LOVE OF G#D...is there a way to turn off automatic updates in 8.1??? Once I get this machine running the way I want it to I don't want Microsoft pushing anything else out to me.

aaaaa0

Off topic: Bitlocker Lock up AGAIN today. Fricken started up my tablet and I had to log into a website, send myself a text with a code, that gave me access to a long ass number that I had to enter on a desktop machine...before I could log back into my Surface 2.

STUPID.

Ok..the system being too hot for extended gaming sessions, and this system update issues are pretty much bullshit for a tablet imo.

You might have a defective one. I'd take it in to get it swapped out.

WTH Microsoft. God fed up of waiting for more colours for the Touch 2 so decided to look at the gen one version. Turns out that the only colours they sell in the UK are cyan, white and black. I wanted a RED one and finding that is next to impossible, but of course, it remains tantalisingly out of reach on the US Microsoft store.

AnkitT

Got my sp2 yesterday and the dynamic contrast thing is bothering me a lot. Apart from that its all that I expected. Just waiting for the power cover to come out now.

I picked up a new Surface Pro 2 at lunch (my Christmas present to myself).

Spent the last couple of hours updating and installing all the software I need. With the Wacom feel driver, pressure sensitivity works in the GIMP which is awesome.

I got a magenta keyboard, because PINK.

Thanks to Cygwin, I can compile Fortran code for work on my Surface Pro. Try that with an iPad!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Just recently my Pro 1 has had an issue turning on..or something. Usually it's when it's charging, I pick it up and the charge light isn't on and the power button does nothing. I'm not even sure how to replicate it or how I fix it. I hold the power button a little, try to jiggle the charger.. nothing. And the it comes back. Hard to describe.

Anyone know if the 250GB Pro 2 is going to be restocked on the online MS store before the end of the year? I have a 10% coupon but it expires on New Year's. >.>

I guess I could get a 128GB (4GB RAM, though) if I had to.

Animator

Anyone know if the 250GB Pro 2 is going to be restocked on the online MS store before the end of the year? I have a 10% coupon but it expires on New Year's. >.>

I am waiting as well. I bought a 128gb meanwhile and I can return it till January 4 so hoping it will come out by then.

Ganondolf

can someone with the surface pro 2 4gb model and someone with the 8gb model list their windows experience scores (including sub scores).

thanks

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
can someone with the surface pro 2 4gb model and someone with the 8gb model list their windows experience scores (including sub scores).

thanks
8.1 does not have the windows experience index anymore. It was useless anyway.

Check every night around midnight, that's when they seem to restock it. I noticed that once and didn't bite, then kicked myself the next day because they were immediately sold out. Checked again the next night and they did the same thing and was able to snag one.

Ganondolf

They have the exact same specs. The only differences are the extra RAM chips and the SSD space.

I wanted to see the improvements compared to my current laptop. also was not sure if the double ram changes performance and if the size of the ssd effects the ssd performance.

Current laptop:
HP
icore 3 (think its first gen) 2.1ghz
8gb rams (800mhz I think).
250gb hdd.

I know its going to have better performance but would be good to see the difference.

I can't get over the keyboard thing. I checked out the Asus T-100 as something comparable to the Surface 2. Gaf, what say you? Keyboard and cheaper.

rrs

I wanted to see the improvements compared to my current laptop. also was not sure if the double ram changes performance and if the size of the ssd effects the ssd performance.

Current laptop:
HP
icore 3 (think its first gen) 2.1ghz
8gb rams (800mhz I think).
250gb hdd.

I know its going to have better performance but would be good to see the difference.

It's hard to put a specific % of performance increase, but RAM size in general do not change how fast the RAM is. SSDs do have a variation, but it's not as drastic as between model tiers or would apply when it's directly soldered on.

I can't get over the keyboard thing. I checked out the Asus T-100 as something comparable to the Surface 2. Gaf, what say you? Keyboard and cheaper.

Compared to the Surface 2 Pro, it's a slower device however it has a longer battery life. To the Surface 2, it's worth it for a x86 CPU.

And for the LOVE OF G#D...is there a way to turn off automatic updates in 8.1??? Once I get this machine running the way I want it to I don't want Microsoft pushing anything else out to me.

Metro settings menu -> Update and Recovery -> "Choose how updates get installed" -> change it to whatever you like

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I just finished my first ever video review, the Surface Pro 2 is my subject. :3 The review is only as an artistic tool though, not so much the computer aspect itself.

EDIT: N/M, the audio volumes are out of wack in a major way. I'm going to update the video and then post again.

EDIT EDIT: Here's the new version, audio better balanced.

To the Surface 2, it's worth it for a x86 CPU

If a person is looking for an iPadesque computing experience the x86 cpu (which i definitely dont see as an advantage for my computing preference) doesnt make up for the cheaper build quality, lower resolution screen and less powerful camera.

Oh...

And your suggestion for shutting off auto updates isnt available for Windows RT...unless im missing something.

I sounded like an ass. Thanks for offering up a suggestion. :)

rrs

If a person is looking for an iPadesque computing experience the x86 cpu (which i definitely dont see as an advantage for my computing preference) doesnt make up for the cheaper build quality, lower resolution screen and less powerful camera.

Oh...

And your suggestion for shutting off auto updates isnt available for Windows RT...unless im missing something.

It could be RT not having an option to disable it. And yes, the T100 may not be as good of a choice if you are going to only use metro on it.

Maxxan

Could anyone here tell me whether the typecover interferes when using the surface in tablet mode? One of my favourite things about the Ipad smart cover is how you can just flip it over and start using the device. I'm slightly worried, however, that doing so with a typecover will make it register button presses etc.

Could anyone here tell me whether the typecover interferes when using the surface in tablet mode? One of my favourite things about the Ipad smart cover is how you can just flip it over and start using the device. I'm slightly worried, however, that doing so with a typecover will make it register button presses etc.
Once you flip the keyboard back button presses won't register. No worries on that front.

Pimpwerx

So I've had my Suface RT and Nexus 10 for a week each. The Surface has a type cover, which is nice, but the "z, x and c" keys don't work. So I'm returning that, and figure I'm sending the Surface back as well.

There are not enough apps for the damn thing. The store really is a piece of crap. The interface is not all that great either. I love the last-app swipe feature, but miss having some sort of recent apps list like on other tabs.

The apps are slow opening. The Office preview makes it obvious this was made for a mouse and keyboard. The inclusion of the desktop seemed like a great idea, but delivers an unpleasant, jarring effect switching back and forth. It's really not made for a touch screen. I also hate the lack of media player. I thought I wouldn't care, but I care a lot. Oh yeah, there's hardly any space left on this 32GB drive with the OS installed. That also sucks.

The home screen takes a little thought for layout, but works fine. The MS apps are the best ones, but they even miss on some stuff. Remote desktop should let me set up the tablet as a media center that I can control remotely from the Nexus. I can't. I know you're wondering why have a tablet be a media hub, but meh, I didn't think I'd have 2 tablets. Now, the only use I have for it is as a media center in my living room, and it can't even function as one.

The Nexus is lighter, is more responsive, and has tons more apps. I'm rather disappointed in the Surface RT, and I really wanted to like it. I think I'm done with Windows once my laptop dies. I've tried the Surface 2 in stores before, and it's not grabbing me. How could MS be so far behind on the touch interface front? They were doing research on this stuff forever, but these tiles are not the answer. PEACE.

Watevaman

How much do you guys think I could get for my SP2? Bought it a few months ago but I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would and need some money for the holiday season.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So I've had my Suface RT and Nexus 10 for a week each. The Surface has a type cover, which is nice, but the "z, x and c" keys don't work. So I'm returning that, and figure I'm sending the Surface back as well.

There are not enough apps for the damn thing. The store really is a piece of crap. The interface is not all that great either. I love the last-app swipe feature, but miss having some sort of recent apps list like on other tabs.

The apps are slow opening. The Office preview makes it obvious this was made for a mouse and keyboard. The inclusion of the desktop seemed like a great idea, but delivers an unpleasant, jarring effect switching back and forth. It's really not made for a touch screen. I also hate the lack of media player. I thought I wouldn't care, but I care a lot. Oh yeah, there's hardly any space left on this 32GB drive with the OS installed. That also sucks.

The home screen takes a little thought for layout, but works fine. The MS apps are the best ones, but they even miss on some stuff. Remote desktop should let me set up the tablet as a media center that I can control remotely from the Nexus. I can't. I know you're wondering why have a tablet be a media hub, but meh, I didn't think I'd have 2 tablets. Now, the only use I have for it is as a media center in my living room, and it can't even function as one.

The Nexus is lighter, is more responsive, and has tons more apps. I'm rather disappointed in the Surface RT, and I really wanted to like it. I think I'm done with Windows once my laptop dies. I've tried the Surface 2 in stores before, and it's not grabbing me. How could MS be so far behind on the touch interface front? They were doing research on this stuff forever, but these tiles are not the answer. PEACE.
there is a recent app list, with the mouse you move it to the top left or bottom left and move up/down. with touch you move your finger in just like swiping in the last app, but you move it back to the side quickly. Brings up the menu. As for the performance problems, that was a big issue with the first model. Surface 2 solves this problem. I would never recommend the original surface because of that issue.

Check every night around midnight, that's when they seem to restock it. I noticed that once and didn't bite, then kicked myself the next day because they were immediately sold out. Checked again the next night and they did the same thing and was able to snag one.

Midnight PST, I assume (so 3AM EST for my time zone)?

ElNino

Is the docking station worth it?

Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative?
This what I've been using with my Surface Pro, Plugable UD-3000. Other than charge the Surface, it does everything the official dock will do (with more ports) at about half the cost. There is also the UD-3900 version which has dual monitor out if you want that.

I work from home 50% of the time and I use my Pro docked to the UD-3000 which is connected to a 27" monitor and it works great.

Treo360

2 annoying bugs with my s2. One is if I use the original touch cover and then disconnect it, the on screen keyboard doesn't return automatically, only via a restart will it come back. Two, when the audio connector/headphone jack is disconnected I don't get sound, again, I have to restart the s2 in order to get sound.

Anyone run in to this?

Pimpwerx

there is a recent app list, with the mouse you move it to the top left or bottom left and move up/down. with touch you move your finger in just like swiping in the last app, but you move it back to the side quickly. Brings up the menu. As for the performance problems, that was a big issue with the first model. Surface 2 solves this problem. I would never recommend the original surface because of that issue.
Thanks. Not sure why I keep forgetting it. I've only used it a few times, but it is useful. The performance is just such a dig on this thing.

That said, anyone know why the Facebook isn't compatible with the Surface tab? PEACE.

Thanks. Not sure why I keep forgetting it. I've only used it a few times, but it is useful. The performance is just such a dig on this thing.

That said, anyone know why the Facebook isn't compatible with the Surface tab? PEACE.

Are you referring to the Facebook app and the People app? They work fine on Windows RT.

As far as performance goes....I've used a retina mini for a week...and it didn't seem noticeably more responsive than my Surface 2. The original RT unit was slow compared to what it is now. The OS was new, unoptimized at launch....

Growing pains.

The Surface RT of today doesn't feel unresponsive at all. (compared to other media consumption devices like the iPad, Kindle Fire and Nexus)

Bit-Bit

This what I've been using with my Surface Pro, Plugable UD-3000. Other than charge the Surface, it does everything the official dock will do (with more ports) at about half the cost. There is also the UD-3900 version which has dual monitor out if you want that.

I work from home 50% of the time and I use my Pro docked to the UD-3000 which is connected to a 27" monitor and it works great.

Awesome, thanks!

asdad123

Just noticed that my surface makes a creaking noise when pressing down lightly near the top/right of the front camera.

Sometimes if a creak, sometimes its a light "pop" sound. Sort of like the screen isnt seated correctly. Anyone else have this problem? Doesnt seem normal.

Does microsoft have repairs in store like Apple? I'd rather not send it out and have to wait to get it repaired, and theres a Microsoft Store opening near me soon according to their website (Paramus NJ)

Ganondolf

think you need to update your surface to rt 8.1 to get the facebook app. the update should fix a lot of the performance issues too as 8.1 is a lot more refined.

Edit: you mentioned office preview on one of your posts. this will update on the rt 8.1 to include outlook (there was a earlier update to go from preview to full)

Dazzla

Office preview? Is that RT updated to 8.1 and the final copy of office? Xbox music in 8.1 is a great music player, there are also plenty of apps for movie playback.

Schlep

Really having a tough time figuring out if I want to go to the Surface 2 or Surface Pro 2 from the Surface RT. My company will most likely cover the cost of Office 2013, but I'm not sure how much of the speed I actually need that comes with the Pro.

I have a few x86 programs that would be nice to run on the road while working, but at the same time, I do like the form factor of the RT models. Not really sure how much I would end up using the stylus either.

Just kind of talking out loud, I guess. No good way to decide what I should do. Something about me really likes the idea of having a full computer with me all the time. The other part of me hates to spend an extra $600 on something that I may or may not take full advantage of.

bidguy

Banned
does office work on the rt version ?
need a new laptop, tablet or whatever for university. ill just use it to type stuff off and research so would it be of any use to me ?

bidguy

Banned
I find Office works really well on the RT. I'm sure others would agree.

would you say i can skip the pro 2 and just get the standard surface 2 ? i dont really need it for anything other than browsing the web or watching movies/videos

another question. is xbox music free with the purchase of the surface ? how does that work ?

hwalker84

would you say i can skip the pro 2 and just get the standard surface 2 ? i dont really need it for anything other than browsing the web or watching movies/videos

another question. is xbox music free with the purchase of the surface ? how does that work ?

I would say you can skip the Pro if you just need standard office as long as you don't need plugins. Xbox Music had a 1 year free with the first Surface.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
YES

with slingplayer coming out for Windows Store... i am now rid of my ipad for good! the web slingplayer never seemed to work correctly on RT and on IE for RT... so I was having issues that stopped me from transitioning completely over.

so excite!

Top Bottom