• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

Sigma722

Woooo! I got in on the staples deal, and my Type 2 cover just arrived. I think this is what I was missing from getting the "full" experience. Yiisssss.

I work at staples, we completely sold out of these yesterday. Literally everything is gone, all variants of the surface 2 and every accessory is sold out.

People seem to really like that the surface is essentially a laptop in tablet form. Maybe microsoft was right all along?
loljk

asdad123

Just blew some minds of friends. We were talking about making some changes to an AutoCAD file so I pulled this out of my bag. They looked at me not knowing what I was gonna do, but I ppened the file up and made the necessary changes.

I'm pretty sure I convinced two of them to buy one.

I work at staples, we completely sold out of these yesterday. Literally everything is gone, all variants of the surface 2 and every accessory is sold out.

People seem to really like that the surface is essentially a laptop in tablet form. Maybe microsoft was right all along?
loljk

Supposedly the Surface RT2 and Pro are sold out everywhere. Best Buy has had very limited stock for at least 4 weeks.

I assume that if something like this can be done on an iPad, then it could also be done on a Surface RT2? I mean, the app to do it only cost $8.

Procreate on the Surface 2 would be pretty sweet.

dem

My surface 2 died on me

I did some updates and the wireless stopped working..
I tried to turn the surface off but it kept auto starting
The battery died and now it won't respond at all. Well.. Except the power light when I plug it in.

Ganondolf

My surface 2 died on me

I did some updates and the wireless stopped working..
I tried to turn the surface off but it kept auto starting
The battery died and now it won't respond at all. Well.. Except the power light when I plug it in.

could be that the battery is completely drained. leave it on charge for a few hours and see what happens.

if the battery works but you have the same issue I think you can download rt 8.1 from ms site and re-install from boot loader (type) screen. like the people who downloaded the defective rt 8.1 on release.

hwalker84

Surface 2 Mini Rumors

http://microsoft-news.com/rumor-mic...th-air-gesture-support-1080p-screen-and-more/

Today, WPDang reported that Surface Mini will come with 8” 1080p display and Intel Bay Trail CPU running full Windows 8.1. They also reported that an ARM version of the same may be in the works. Surface Mini will include some new Kinect like technology that will be able to recognize people’s faces, human hand gestures and more. I’m more skeptical about this Kinect like somatosensory technology baked in Surface mini, but we have to wait till Q1 2014 to get final details on the tablet.

Razdek

Banned

dem

I've charged it for a few hours and still nothing.
I've tried holding the power button.
I also tried holding the volume and the power button.. still nothing.

Microsoft is sending a new one.

Ganondolf

This is good news as I find the Surface RT awkward to hold for long periods of time. Going with a Bay Trail version is a plus as Windows RT is really starting to feel limiting with the low number of apps and the browser having difficulty functioning properly on certain sites (Best Buy Canadian site menu) and it gets frustrating.

don't think a bay trail version is coming out as ms wants to merge rt into windows phone for tablets and phones, so it will be silly to change to x86 then back to arm once the merge is complete.

This is good news as I find the Surface RT awkward to hold for long periods of time. Going with a Bay Trail version is a plus as Windows RT is really starting to feel limiting with the low number of apps and the browser having difficulty functioning properly on certain sites (Best Buy Canadian site menu) and it gets frustrating.

Limiting? Are you a heavy gamer? Is there a specific app you want to run on your tablet that's only available on iOS or Android?

Even on RT, IE 11 is the best browser your going to get on a traditional tablet. Does your Best Buy website load fine in chrome or firefox or safari?

Obviously WinRT isn't for everyone. Neither is Microsoft Phone OS.

But, you know what? The day running full Windows on my tablet becomes the standard will be the day I sell my Surface and get an iPad. Full windows support is not the experience I look for on my tablet.

Dude is back with his Surface RT love.

I've charged it for a few hours and still nothing.
I've tried holding the power button.
I also tried holding the volume and the power button.. still nothing.

Microsoft is sending a new one.

Well good luck w/ service center.

: (

Edit: IE11 ARM isn't always the best compared to iOS and Android depending on the website. Like Google music, Rdio, etc. A buddy of mine recently returned hers because Rdio had a crashing script and now she has her iPad 2 again.

hwalker84

Limiting? Are you a heavy gamer? Is there a specific app you want to run on your tablet that's only available on iOS or Android?

Even on RT, IE 11 is the best browser your going to get on a traditional tablet. Does your Best Buy website load fine in chrome or firefox or safari?

But, you know what? The day running full Windows on my tablet becomes the standard will be the day I sell my Surface and get an iPad. Full windows support is not the experience I look for on my tablet.

One of the things I've noticed is a lot of websites don't have menu's that stay open when you press on them. They require a mouse hover to open. Those sites will always be a problem.

Razdek

Banned

Limiting when compared to full Windows 8.1. IE 11 has issues with websites that have pop up windows like Best Buy and it get frustrating to navigate and they work fine in Safari and Chrome. Don't get me wrong, I like the more functionality that I have with Windows RT but unlike you I would prefer to have full Windows 8.1 on the new Surface mini tablets and that would work better for my use case. Just to add that IE 11 on full Windows 8.1 handle these sites without issues so there's something different on the ARM version.

I don't have it, but looking at the requirements and screenshots, it looks fairly demanding. The Pro 2 meets the minimum spec, but not by much. I'd expect it to be playable with everything on lowest, at 720p.

dem

I can't believe it...

I got my new surface2 in the mail today and as I was putting the old one in the shipping box I tried it one last time.... And the fuckin thing started up! WTF SURFACE

I can't believe it...

I got my new surface2 in the mail today and as I was putting the old one in the shipping box I tried it one last time.... And the fuckin thing started up! WTF SURFACE

DEM Secret OS updates. Seriously...with the system being locked down...cant be anything else.

I'm so nervous about buying my dad a Surface 2. I don't know how he'll respond to it, haha. I am getting him a dock, for sure, so he can use a monitor and keyboard when he needs to.

Tablo

I'm so nervous about buying my dad a Surface 2. I don't know how he'll respond to it, haha. I am getting him a dock, for sure, so he can use a monitor and keyboard when he needs to.

lol! Getting one for my dad too, though we've already talked about it so it should be good.

Used a Surface Pro 2 yesterday and i must say, i'm impressed !

I actually want to buy one, it's an amazing tablet with a full working destop mode. It's small and easy to carry around too.

Are you talking about the Pro 2? The dock only works with the Pro/Pro 2.

Well, shit, I didn't think about that. This changes things.

I'm mainly concerned about him being able to use a monitor and regular keyboard when he wants to. He'd still be able to hook this up to a monitor via the mini-HDMI port and a keyboard via USB, right? And he'd be able to use a USB splitter?

EDIT: NM, just watched the vid above. Looks like it will be flexible enough for what he needs.

asdad123

Any eta on the surface pro dock? I know they released it in a "limited" supply before, but I'm looking to pick one up.

Trying to consolidate my desktop/surface pro 2 to just the surface pro 2

Ganondolf

Any eta on the surface pro dock? I know they released it in a "limited" supply before, but I'm looking to pick one up.

Trying to consolidate my desktop/surface pro 2 to just the surface pro 2

spoke to a online customer support on the uk ms online store. he said they are expecting stock in about 3 weeks, so mid jan if he knows what he is talking about. expect the US to get it at the same time (or a little earlier).

im looking to do the same thing, hopefully will be buying a pro 2 soon and a dock & monitor early next year.

When I turned mine on this morning it was at 5% battery... considering the warning to 'plug in your computer now' happens at 7%, and the 'you might want to plug in your computer' message happens at 10%... and I didn't see either before hitting the sleep button, I guess there's something wrong. I've never seen it at 5% battery before. It has refused to start up a few times too (and then randomly works when I try it 5 minutes later).

[edit] just read a bit more of that MS support thread - some people are saying they can't get it to charge beyond 99%. Mine is on charge now, will report back when it's done.

[2nd edit] Mine is charging fine. Doesn't explain the low charge of the battery today, or the random failures to wake/boot though... will be keeping an eye on it.

maeh2k

Guys, is it at all possible to install normal Win8 on s Surface 2?

Also, can I install any regular non-Win8 apps(like Chrome)?

No and no.

If you want the full Windows 8 you'll have to choose from the other Windows tablets. Notable Surface 2 competitors running the full Windows 8 are the Dell Venue Pro 11, the Asus T100, and the HP Omni 10 and at higher price ranges there are devices like the Surface 2 Pro.

MS just did a restock tonight at their online store, seems like all of the Pro 2's are in stock along with some of the type covers.

Picked up a 256GB + blue type cover myself.

I see the charge taken out on my bank account, just waiting for MS to send out the confirmation now.

Laconic

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";94731541]Bow down to the Cintiq Companion master race, plebs.[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm? Or a sincere appreciation for underpowered battery hogs? >__>

NeOak

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";94731541]Bow down to the Cintiq Companion master race, plebs.[/QUOTE]

lol right. Gotta try to make the best of overpriced old tech.

Top Bottom