• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

Barmaley

Neo Member
Got my surface pro 1 64gb today, for 467€. So far I like it a lot, but there are some problems with it.
It gets hot, unpleasantly so. Perhaps it's because I'm charging while surfing on wifi simultaneously, I'll have to see, but I haven't heard the fans kick in so far, so I'm wondering if there are some settings for that.
Also the kickstand angle is completely useless, what was microsoft thinking? Is there some kind of case with adjustable angles?
I don't mind the weight, this way i won't even have to lift, bro

Edit: just found the fan settings, apparently it was turned off

Swig_

Is the Surface Pro worth having if you own a laptop already? I'm into art and drawing/painting, which is the main draw for getting one, but I'm wondering if many people who own laptops find owning a Surface Pro to be beneficial. I'm basically trying to justify buying one, but I'm not sure I can... although the digitizer weighs heavily in my decision.

Note, this is the Surface Pro not the Pro 2. Since I can get one for about $600.

Barmaley

Neo Member
Thanks! But it won't be out for another few months ; (
Surprising that it took them so long to design something like this, the surface pro has been out for what? One and a half years now?

Completely useless is factually incorrect. Far better than nothing, but not ideal, as S2/SP2 have shown.

Well, let's say completely useless in my case. I guess if you are smaller than 6 ft then it could work. It's just too steep for me.

markot

Banned
. Microsoft is aware of reports of sensations similar to pinpricks when touching Surface while its power supply is plugged into AC wall outlets. The current involved is far less than the amount allowed by international safety standards and does not pose any risk of harm. This is not an indication of malfunction with your Surface product. All AC wall powered electronic devices with conductive metal surfaces may produce enough current that some people can feel. We regret any inconvenience or concern this may have caused you.

They told me I should only send it back if im pretty sure its above the international safety standards.... and that the replacement I get will probably have the same problem.

Microsoft. Or, why im never buying hardware from them again. Worse then apples 'your holding it wrong' >_>

I'm working on giving some laptop recommendations to a friend, but he uses torrent programs pretty frequently. Can you torrent and save downloaded files on Windows RT tablets/devices?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Strange issue with the power cover. I noticed in sleep mode the surface was draining the power cover, so last night I charged them overnight, but before that I specifically turned the surface all the way off instead of just sleep. I didn't use it all day and when I just opened it up the power cover is down to just 15%.

Hope this is just a windows update fix, no reason it should almost completely drain the battery from being off.
Figured this one out. If you turn the surface off(shutdown in windows) it does not charge the power cover at all.

Also, if your surface's battery is at or above 80% it will charge the power cover till 100% and then finish charging the surface, if its not it charges the surface up to 80% first.

I went from getting a venue 8 pro to returning it to getting a Surface Pro 2. Anyway....mostly happy with it. Chunky as fuck coming from a macbook air/ipads mostly but good times all in all.

sca2511

Just dropped my SP2 in class, god damnit. Still working normally, just seems like the rubber/plastic thing separating the screen to the metal at the bezel is protruding just a little bit at one corner.

edit:
looks like the button on the pen broke off, it being stuck to the magnetic charger port. A quick chat with MS Support, they're sending over a replacement. Awesome.
I managed to put the button back on, though it feels a little weird/more resistant. Guess I'll have two pens.

Paganmoon

I went from getting a venue 8 pro to returning it to getting a Surface Pro 2. Anyway....mostly happy with it. Chunky as fuck coming from a macbook air/ipads mostly but good times all in all.

We got the Dell Venue 11 Pro at work for testing purposes and it's... absolute shit hardware design-wise. They seem to be made to break. Regular laptop charger interface will most definitely brake in the hands of users, the dockingstation is "clip on" which will also most likely break, the keyboard attachment is also the same. Geez who designed this thing?

So annoyed Microsoft aren't releasing the Surface 2 Pro dock in Europe...

sca2511

How do you change the settings for tap the touchpad to drag? Newest update brought that feature and I can't get used to it.

Whoa it did? Time to search.

edit:
There's no setting for it I think, I just tried double tapping and dragging and it worked! Now the cover is pretty much perfect, yesss!

Sorry outta left field question, but I was wondering how performance was for source games and if the CPUs stay at a decent temp and 30 fps at a res of no less than 1366/768 (cs source/go, tf2, l4d2)?

And if any has done any GC/PS2 emulation?

PensOwl

Banned
PS2 emulation works fine, from my experience very slightly south of 60 fps with 2x native resolution.

GC and Wii are a bit rougher, I was even having some trouble with the DS. For the GC and Wii it tends to run fine at first, but you'll quickly run up against your thermal limits and begin to throttle. That said, stick to 1v1 if you ever plan on playing melee :p

Lucius86

Banned
I have researched YouTube previously as well, I was looking more for other GAFers personal opinions and experiences with their devices that have them.

Bit of a shameless plug, but I have linked to my review on the Surface Pro 2 when it released, which covers a bit of gaming as well.

http://www.lukecjdavis.com/surface-pro-2-real-world-review/

At that resolution most games are fine - hell, Portal 2 and HL2 can play at 1080P @ 30FPS - I completed co-op on P2 the other day and was surprised I could run it at full HD with no hitches. The issues occur with more demanding games (like The Witcher 2) are thrown at it, but on the whole it is surprisingly capable.

CS:S runs absolutely fine at 1080P when I loaded it up the other week as well. Don't stick on AA at any resolution as it cannot handle it, but it's not like you need it with the size of the screen!

Bit of a shameless plug, but I have linked to my review on the Surface Pro 2 when it released, which covers a bit of gaming as well.

http://www.lukecjdavis.com/surface-pro-2-real-world-review/

At that resolution most games are fine - hell, Portal 2 and HL2 can play at 1080P @ 30FPS - I completed co-op on P2 the other day and was surprised I could run it at full HD with no hitches. The issues occur with more demanding games (like The Witcher 2) are thrown at it, but on the whole it is surprisingly capable.

CS:S runs absolutely fine at 1080P when I loaded it up the other week as well. Don't stick on AA at any resolution as it cannot handle it, but it's not like you need it with the size of the screen!

Lucius,

I will check out your video when I get out of work, but when playing source games, how hot cup wise are you getting, and do you feel like you are taxing, or gambling with life expectancy for it?

Pooya

Has anyone tried ASUS Vivo Tab Note 8? I'm considering getting it as a gift mainly because of the digitizer and well the great price. To be used by a future college student, would it be good enough? I assume it can run office/onenote well and some light MATLAB use or basic sketching.

I wish you could get one with 4GB RAM.

NeOak

Has anyone tried ASUS Vivo Tab Note 8? I'm considering getting it as a gift mainly because of the digitizer and well the great price. To be used by a future college student, would it be good enough? I assume it can run office/onenote well and some light MATLAB use or basic sketching.

I wish you could get one with 4GB RAM.

Got one for my mom. Its good enough IMO. Just get a different pen.

A Surface Pro is way better, but might want to hold on and see what is the deal with the Surface Mini.

Pooya

I can wait for a couple of months, no big deal. If MS can manage one with atom at ~$400, with a similar pen and build quality as pro, I'm so down.

I can wait for a couple of months, no big deal. If MS can manage one with atom at ~$400, with a similar pen and build quality as pro, I'm so down.

I'm in the same camp. It's either the Asus or the Surface Mini. I'm leaning towards the Surface, because I expect the aesthetics to be better than the plain and boring Asus.

I'm in the same camp. It's either the Asus or the Surface Mini. I'm leaning towards the Surface, because I expect the aesthetics to be better than the plain and boring Asus.
same here, Asus tablets look and feel like ...Asus tablets.

i'd easily pay $100 more for "surface" materials and build quality.

NeOak

Tell that to MS!

Funny, the cheapest place to get the 8" tablets is the Microsoft Store.

They have the Asus 32GB for 299, (and I would have been able to use the 10% student discount) but I needed the 64GB, so had to pay the 380 + tax at Microcenter.

sca2511

Sorry outta left field question, but I was wondering how performance was for source games and if the CPUs stay at a decent temp and 30 fps at a res of no less than 1366/768 (cs source/go, tf2, l4d2)?

And if any has done any GC/PS2 emulation?

I get a constant 60fps at 720 or 768 on CSGO with a mixture of low/med settings. I was playing competitive mode when testing it out.

skasaha

Neo Member
The RT versions of the Surface (Surface RT and Surface 2) aren't available in 128GB right? I'm buying one off somebody later. He claims it's a Surface RT 128GB. I was thinking he might have been mistaken and it was a Pro instead but he says there's no stylus and that it came with office + outlook. The Pros don't come with office right?

I guess I'll find out later...:X

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The RT versions of the Surface (Surface RT and Surface 2) aren't available in 128GB right? I'm buying one off somebody later. He claims it's a Surface RT 128GB. I was thinking he might have been mistaken and it was a Pro instead but he says there's no stylus and that it came with office + outlook. The Pros don't come with office right?

I guess I'll find out later...:X
maybe he has a 64 GB card in it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I asked, he has a 32GB (that he's not giving me).

Maybe it's a super rare variant! (Or maybe I don't know what I'm getting...)

The space would be great though. If it turns out to be real.
I don't think Windows on ARM supports anything above 64GB, so I believe he is mistaken.

Top Bottom