• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

dLMN8R

Chrome doesn't natively support the high-DPI scaling that Windows has had for a decade. So stuff is simply scaled up. I think they might have a beta build which supports it?

I think the cooling fans on my surf pro are stuck or something. I used to hear them, and even feel the air flow on the top. Now it's almost deadly silent except for a little buzzing, and I it feels like there's any air coming out of it.

Ever since this started happening it started getting pretty hot, even if I'm doing nothing but leave it on the start screen with nothing running.

I tried blowing some compressed air to see if it helps, but it doesn't make any difference... Is there any way I can check/clean the fans?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Need to turn on high dpi in chrome://flags probably

Can you check if you can double tap then drag windows/icons?
not really sure what you're asking but no. I am not able to double tap the mouse pad (is what I'm assuming your referring to) and drag anything.

It would be legit if you can actually buy it. It's always out of stock and it doesn't seem like it will be sold in stores like Best Buy.

Way to read the thread, I'm typing on one right now.

Razdek

Banned
not really sure what you're asking but no. I am not able to double tap the mouse pad (is what I'm assuming your referring to) and drag anything.

Yes in the States maybe but not in Canada but thanks for that smarky remark.

sca2511

Yeah that's what I'm referring to. You'd be able to double tap on a window border and it would act like the left mouse button is being held down, so you could drag the window around effortlessly.

captive

Yes in the States maybe but not in Canada but thanks for that smarky remark.

My bad, I left my mind reading device at work over the weekend.

Your original statement said nothing about location, not my fault.

captive

Strange issue with the power cover. I noticed in sleep mode the surface was draining the power cover, so last night I charged them overnight, but before that I specifically turned the surface all the way off instead of just sleep. I didn't use it all day and when I just opened it up the power cover is down to just 15%.

Hope this is just a windows update fix, no reason it should almost completely drain the battery from being off.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Got a 64gb Pro 1 today. Love it so far. Took some time to do all the updates. Need to get a good size SD card now.

The pen is pretty awesome.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If I'm going to do some intense typing, should I go for the touch cover or the actual keyboard cover? Most of the typing would be coding.

If I'm going to do some intense typing, should I go for the touch cover or the actual keyboard cover? Most of the typing would be coding.

Get the "Type Cover" without question.

Touch Cover is cool, but the type one is superior in every way, unless those extra few millimeters of thickness are the end of the world to you.

so what games run well on the SP1?

zZb99Fk.jpg

Antiwhippy

Get the "Type Cover" without question.

Touch Cover is cool, but the type one is superior in every way, unless those extra few millimeters of thickness are the end of the world to you.

Hmm, alright. Shame though, because the touch covers look cool, but I can't sacrifice productivity for aesthetics.

Also, how's the trackpad on it, or should I get that fancy touch wedge thing.

I find actual typing to be rather pleasant on the touch cover. But text editing is a pain, mostly due the arrows keys.

I tried using a touch cover to code, and it's doable, but moving the caret around and selecting text is a chore to do on it. So you probably would be better off with a real keyboard or either the type cover.

Edit: The touch cover does not like shortcuts very much either, specially ones with 3 keys. Some Resharper shortcuts were borderline unusable with the touch cover.

Hmm, alright. Shame though, because the touch covers look cool, but I can't sacrifice productivity for aesthetics.

Also, how's the trackpad on it, or should I get that fancy touch wedge thing.

Is there a microsoft store by you? How fast can you type on stuff with virtual keyboards? Most people's productivity drops slightly because they're used to a regular keyboard. It feels weird to me still because I'm used to key travel. If that doesn't bother you then type might be ok, it's just the majority of people are used to normal keyboards. It's very much a personal thing just like virtual vs. physical for cell phones.

Antiwhippy

Actually, you know what, I think I might just wait for the power cover and get a touch cover in the meantime to tide me over plus have a more portable option.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I prefer the touch cover 2 over the type. I'm more of a causal user so don't type as much, on screen kb is what I use most. The touch cover feels nicer to me in tablet mode, didn't like hitting the keys when folded back. I know u can unsnap an reverse it but just makes it more of a hassle to use.

I prefer the touch cover 2 over the type. I'm more of a causal user so don't type as much, on screen kb is what I use most. The touch cover feels nicer to me in tablet mode, didn't like hitting the keys when folded back. I know u can unsnap an reverse it but just makes it more of a hassle to use.
That was my main reason for getting a touch cover too. I ended up getting a wedge keyboard to use when I need to do some actual work, but the touch cover is amazing for everything else.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm using the touch cover that came with my wife's RT (she got a type cover). There are definitely pros cons to it, but I like using it and like others have said the feel of it is good in tablet mode. I Imagine the touch cover 2s are even better.

ElNino

I feel the same.

I have the type cover and touch cover 2 for my Pro, and my son has a touch Cover 1 for his RT. When I'm just using the Pro for random web/games/apps or if I'm docked on my desk (where I have a "real" keyboard and mouse) I use the touch cover, but if I'm going to do something that I know will require a lot of typing (sending emails) then I will attach the type cover.

Lately, my son is actually using the type cover for his RT more than I am as he prefers it when playing some of his web/flash games that use the keyboard.

Apple applies for a Surface-style keyboard patent

The new patent filed by Apple showcases a new smart cover within an attached keyboard. It appears that the keyboard itself would disconnect from the smart cover when needed and work wirelessly with the Apple tablet. The patented device is apparently a flat surface that could operate through “capacitive, resistive, optical, acoustic, inductive, mechanical, chemical, or electromagnetic” means. The patent application also contains coverage for users being able to use multitouch commands across the keys.

Antiwhippy

Also, for the digital artists in here, should I get clip studio paint or corel painter X3?

I'll definitely have to get adobe cloud though, but thank god I can apply for the student version.

Antiwhippy

Alright, got the surface pro. Went with a type cover instead, because playing around with the touch cover made me realise that it'll take too long for me to adjust and the type cover is pretty dang thin too.

Really don't like the trackpad though. Hopefully I'll adjust, because I really don't want to get a bluetooth mice.

ksdixon

I am wanting to lie in bed with the Surface Pro on my chest, probably with the keyboard tucked underneath to provide a more solid base than my chest.

I would occasionally be reaching-up to the touchscreen to press next as I do Netflix etc.

With the SPro being somewhat top-heavy, how likely is it to fall forward and smash me in the face? Any way of preventing this from happening?

ElNino

I am wanting to lie in bed with the Surface Pro on my chest, probably with the keyboard tucked underneath to provide a more solid base than my chest.

I would occasionally be reaching-up to the touchscreen to press next as I do Netflix etc.

With the SPro being somewhat top-heavy, how likely is it to fall forward and smash me in the face? Any way of preventing this from happening?
I'm sorry, but reading that made me laugh way harder than it should have.

Seriously though, I don't think it would fall over that easily if it was on the kickstand with keyboard folded back. I'd be more worried about straining your neck to see the screen though; why not just lay the Surface on the bed?

ksdixon

I'm sorry, but reading that made me laugh way harder than it should have.

Seriously though, I don't think it would fall over that easily if it was on the kickstand with keyboard folded back. I'd be more worried about straining your neck to see the screen though; why not just lay the Surface on the bed?

True, but then I would be arching my back, or putting all my weight on my arms as I prop myself up on a pillow mountain so that I could look-down at the SPro whilst lying on my stomach.

I really want the SPro for 99% of my computing needs, but I almost feel like a laptop with an adjustable lid viewing angle may be better for viewing in bed?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I'm so happy I got a Pro. I absolutely love it. Not really having any issues with the weight of the device. Would have liked a Pro 2, but the 1 will do nicely since I hardly game on PCs.

kharma45

Man, I'm so happy I got a Pro. I absolutely love it. Not really having any issues with the weight of the device. Would have liked a Pro 2, but the 1 will do nicely since I hardly game on PCs.

I got to see my brother's Pro 1 that he got recently today, really a fantastic bit of kit. Just need to get him to do the battery life tweaks on it now. It has really made me want one.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I got to see my brother's Pro 1 that he got recently today, really a fantastic bit of kit. Just need to get him to do the battery life tweaks on it now. It has really made me want one.

Cool. I need to look into that as well. Hasn't been an issue yet, but would still like to improve it.

Magnus

The BF nabbed an extra charger for his Surface 2. There were two designs available for the 48w one (designed for the 2 Pro I believe). Any significant difference between them?

We noticed this one has a USB port on the power brick (convenient for charging another device) but the brick has to be close to the ground due to the length of the cord from the brick, which makes it inconvenient to actually use that port. Haha.

markot

Banned
Waiting for a phone call from someone in the phillipines struggling with english rerouted to the US then to Australia so I can get my surface replaced due to a wide ranging problem that some people havent even been able to get a replacement for. Electric shocks are a feature stop holding it like that?

Top Bottom