• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

gAg CruSh3r

I just order a Surface pro 2 online. I want a case and screen protector but I don't know what is a great case for it. I need SurfaceproGAF to help me out with this. Thanks!

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I just order a Surface pro 2 online. I want a case and screen protector but I don't know what is a great case for it. I need SurfaceproGAF to help me out with this. Thanks!

I got a skin for mine so it doesn't get scratched. For a case I got a Snugg wallet case but only put my surface in it when I put it in my bag. The skin and touch cover really all the protection I need.

Suerte

So I'm thinking of getting a Pro 2 with the Windows XP upgrade discount Microsoft are offering at the moment (via a very old laptop) - is it worth jumping in at this stage, or waiting until September for the Pro 3?

Gaf, anyone experienced colour banding and posterisation when watching videos on their Pro 2? Its driving me nuts, and I cant find a fix for it. :(

dLMN8R

My Dell XPS 12 (2012 model) can run Diablo 3 decently well at low/medium settings, 20-30fps, 720p. It has a Core i7-3687U CPU in it.

The Surface Pro 2 has a Core i5-4300U, which I believe is similar in performance, but more power efficient.

Pooya

Has anyone tried ASUS Vivo Tab Note 8? I'm considering getting it as a gift mainly because of the digitizer and well the great price. To be used by a future college student, would it be good enough? I assume it can run office/onenote well and some light MATLAB use or basic sketching.

I wish you could get one with 4GB RAM.

ok updating on this. I read around that apparently this tablet has major hardware issues with the digitizer that it stops working after 30 days or so lol, there is a big thread on it on tabletpcreview forums and even asus RMA doesn't fix it lolol. asusquality.

so I'm thinking just getting orig surface pro microsoft refurbished for 500 bones from amazon, I don't really want to wait for this surface mini just to find out it's arm.

battery should last for 3-4 classes a day right?

good idea?
yay/nay?

NeOak

ok updating on this. I read around that apparently this tablet has major hardware issues with the digitizer that it stops working after 30 days or so lol, there is a big thread on it on tabletpcreview forums and even asus RMA doesn't fix it lolol. asusquality.

so I'm thinking just getting orig surface pro microsoft refurbished for 500 bones from amazon, I don't really want to wait for this surface mini just to find out it's arm.

battery should last for 3-4 classes a day right?

good idea?
yay/nay?

Nope. You'll get four hours per charge max.

And the Asus Vivotab I gave to my mom works fine.

Paganmoon

My surface 2 seems to have completely given up, it's not charging at all, only works with the charger connected, no x on the battery to indicate battery problems, and it refuses to update time and day, stuck on april 3rd just after midnight. Seems to have working WIFI connection, but some sites won't load properly.

MS why you do this to me?

Swig_

I have a first gen Pro, is anyone familiar with any styluses that are similar to the Wacom Intuous styluses? I know they have the Bamboo Feel, but that looks more pen like than I think I'd like. I'm kind of looking for something that is a little thicker and more tapered.

Pooya

Nope. You'll get four hours per charge max.

And the Asus Vivotab I gave to my mom works fine.

ok, got the vivo tab... and a pro 128 refurb D:

gonna use the pro myself for a bit, always wanted to try one of these. I have a thinkpad tablet 2, maybe it can replace that.

thinkpad 8 looks solid too but no wacom.

Barmaley

Neo Member
2 weeks ago I bought the 64gb version for 470€, and now they are selling the 128gb one for 400€!
Oh well, I'm very satisfied with it so far anyways.

My surface 2 seems to have completely given up, it's not charging at all, only works with the charger connected, no x on the battery to indicate battery problems, and it refuses to update time and day, stuck on april 3rd just after midnight. Seems to have working WIFI connection, but some sites won't load properly.

MS why you do this to me?
Damn, the RT/Windows Phone merger needs to happen like now.

Pooya

I was looking for a case on amazon for my pro just got, look what I found LOL

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JRVU93G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

81C8M160gTL._SL1500_.jpg

Surface Mini cover available in May!

what tablet is that in pics? doesn't look very surface-y....

if that's legit looks like mini wont have a keyboard attachment.

Pooya

yeah didn't notice that, May 18 availability is probably the only notable part, I imagine they'll announce it soon.

My main machine is a few years old and kinda feels like it's dying on me at times. I was thinking of going Pro 2 to replace it. Just curious, if you purchase one now am I pretty much guaranteed to get the 4300U chip set instead of the old 4200U?

Fellow Windows tablets users, I'm a new Lumia 2520 owner and absolutely love it.

IE Modern (aka IE Metro) is by far the best mobile browse available. Several apps that Windows 8 are lacking or flat out suck are available via browser then pinned to the start screen making for a solid solution on a 10" touch screen. BTW, these apps include facebook, yelp, Spotify, amazon prime video, amazon cloud player, Pandora, and party loud.

That said, are there any solutions for those mobile apps not available on Windows 8 or website like Instagram, Vine, Tinder, and Snapchat? These apps don't matter much to be but are deal breakers for many.

Pooya

I tried it somewhere, it was too thick and bulky for my taste though if you find the regular type covers uncomfortable and light, this should be way more stable when put on lap, I don't think this is something you'd attach all the time to replace regular covers. I ended up with the type cover 2 which I could find for 100 online, I wanted the back light (power cover doesn't have), I probably get one of those 30000mAh battery packs that apparently can charge the pro more than 2 times, maybe it's not as elegant as power cover solution, I think I prefer it that way though. If you get the power cover I think it's better to carry your other cover with you around too.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I tried it somewhere, it was too thick and bulky for my taste though if you find the regular type covers uncomfortable and light, this should be way more stable when put on lap, I don't think this is something you'd attach all the time to replace regular covers. I ended up with the type cover 2 which I could find for 100 online, I wanted the back light (power cover doesn't have), I probably get one of those 30000mAh battery packs that apparently can charge the pro more than 2 times, maybe it's not as elegant as power cover solution, I think I prefer it that way though. If you get the power cover I think it's better to carry your other cover with you around too.

Yeah, the size is kind of a turn off for me, especially since I'm really getting used to using the touch cover and its form factor. I would like to try the touch cover 2 before buying it to see how much of an improvement it is.

aaaaa0

Yeah, the size is kind of a turn off for me, especially since I'm really getting used to using the touch cover and its form factor. I would like to try the touch cover 2 before buying it to see how much of an improvement it is.

For me at least, the Touch Cover 2 is a huge improvement over the original Touch Cover.

aaaaa0

Cool. How do you like the different material on the back of the cover?

The original' black Touch Cover had felt on the back. It was nice to touch, but got dirty easily.

The back of the other colors of the original Touch Cover and the Touch Cover 2 are rubbery, which I like better because it's easy to clean.

The 2 big things about the Touch Cover 2 that I like are the better predictive autocorrect enabled by having full array touch sensors instead of one per key, and the backlit keys. I find I type a lot faster and more accurately on the Touch Cover 2.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The original' black Touch Cover had felt on the back. It was nice to touch, but got dirty easily.

The back of the other colors of the original Touch Cover and the Touch Cover 2 are rubbery, which I like better because it's easy to clean.

The 2 big things about the Touch Cover 2 that I like are the better predictive autocorrect enabled by having full array touch sensors instead of one per key, and the backlit keys. I find I type a lot faster and more accurately on the Touch Cover 2.

Thanks for the opinion. Might have to upgrade covers!

Kieli

I have to admit Gaf, I was a player-hater before my pops got me a Surface.

Now, I'm using it in place of my tablet and laptop. Damn son, it beasts.

Though I miss the apps for my tablet, though. :'(

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I tried it out, set at 1080p with low\med settings and it ran great.

Just got the expansion for Diablo 3. Been playing on my pro 2, have it set on 720p with everything low or off for best performance. Still looks great.

FUME5

So, work is buying us a Surface 2 ostensibly for work purposes but mainly as a little bonus. My main question is, can I play Shadowrun Returns on the thing?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Ended up getting a touch cover 2. Really like it so far. The backlighting is great and you don't have to hit the keys as hard compared to touch cover 1.

Pooya

So, work is buying us a Surface 2 ostensibly for work purposes but mainly as a little bonus. My main question is, can I play Shadowrun Returns on the thing?

Directly? No
through Remote desktop or similar streaming apps (splashtop is on the store)? sure if you can deal with that.

Top Bottom