• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
There should be a separate Windows RT thread for Surface 1/2 and Lumia 2520 owners.

there should be a thread to people whine about windows updates.

It wont be long before people are up in here complaining that they A) have no control over when updates are applied because their IT dept pushes them B) it always reboots and they lose work because they never save C) they think they know better than their IT dept.

Walshicus

Microsoft Store stopped working on my Surface 2 - I can browse the marketplace but selecting an app just has it show the loading circle indefinitely.

Any ideas?

Hey so I may be starting a new position in which a laptop will be beneficial, and I love the idea of the Surface Pro 2 with the Power Cover for just meeting all of my needs. I probably won't be picking it up till June/July though if I do. What is the likelihood of the Surface 3 coming out this year? Is it 'definitely' a yearly update ala iPads?

Also the Docking Station and the Power cover look pretty nice but I can't find anything on an Australian release date, has anyone got anything on this also?

Cheers :)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
For the Surface Pro 3, which is now confirmed as being a real device, there will be five versions offered with varying pricing and configurations:
•i3-4GB RAM-64GB - $799
•i5-4GB RAM-128GB - $999
•i5-8GB RAM-256GB - $1299
•i7-8GB RAM-256GB - $1549
•i7-8GB RAM-512GB - $1949

As mentioned above, there will also be new Type covers, though it's not known what – if anything – is new about them. Considering the Surface Pro 3 is expected to be a larger device (possibly in the 12 inch range), it would make sense that large Type covers would be required. Those covers will come in the following colors:
•Black
•Purple
•Cyan
•Red (Microsoft Exclusive, possibly limited to Microsoft Stores)

Other details about the Surface Pro 3 hint at a smaller bezel, larger screen size and the Windows button being located on the vertical side, as opposed to horizontal. Unfortunately details about weight, battery life, screen size and dimensions, are not known.
http://www.wpcentral.com/surface-pro-3-real-specs-and-pricing-revealed

Hey so I may be starting a new position in which a laptop will be beneficial, and I love the idea of the Surface Pro 2 with the Power Cover for just meeting all of my needs. I probably won't be picking it up till June/July though if I do. What is the likelihood of the Surface 3 coming out this year? Is it 'definitely' a yearly update ala iPads?

Also the Docking Station and the Power cover look pretty nice but I can't find anything on an Australian release date, has anyone got anything on this also?

Cheers :)

Microsoft is holding a "small" Surface event on Tuesday to introduce the new ARM based 8" Surface, but rumors state that they'll also announce the Pro 3 there.

zou

Microsoft is holding a "small" Surface event on Tuesday to introduce the new ARM based 8" Surface, but rumors state that they'll also announce the Pro 3 there.

Is that more or less confirmed? Would be pretty useless, the only redeeming feature of the regular Surface is it's size, keyboard and office. At 8" all of that disappears. Baytrail or bust.

Sai

:/ They should've held off on the Pro 3 for bigger technology strides.

Don't know how I feel about it being even bigger than what we've already got though; 12 inches with the same depth due to the USB 3.0 port doesn't sound all that nice.

maeh2k

:/ They should've held off on the Pro 3 for bigger technology strides.

Don't know how I feel about it being even bigger than what we've already got though; 12 inches with the same depth due to the USB 3.0 port doesn't sound all that nice.

Doesn't have to be as thick as the existing Pros. The Surface 2 is thinner and has a full-size USB port. With a bigger screen, I think they will definitely make the device thinner.

I think it's good they get it out there before the rumored 12" iPad (and shortly after Samsungs 12" Galaxy Tab). For things like drawing the added size will surely be appreciated.

What will be interesting to see is how they'll change the kickstand and the covers. Maybe they'll just use bigger versions of the existing designs, but there might be some surprises.

Sai

Doesn't have to be as thick as the existing Pros. The Surface 2 is thinner and has a full-size USB port. With a bigger screen, I think they will definitely make the device thinner.
That's true, didn't even consider the Surface 2 with it's USB port. Could totally work.

Pooya

The main reason pro is thicker than RT is because of the 'bump' in the back to accommodate the cooling vent, I'm curious how they're doing it now.

I think it's good they get it out there before the rumored 12" iPad (and shortly after Samsungs 12" Galaxy Tab). For things like drawing the added size will surely be appreciated.

What will be interesting to see is how they'll change the kickstand and the covers. Maybe they'll just use bigger versions of the existing designs, but there might be some surprises.

I just remembered Surf pro have a 10.6" and not 10"... So actually, it wouldn't be that much bigger, specially if they do compensate on the thickness.

Thinking about it, with them adding Surface mini to the family, and it most definitely being the better device to use as a tablet, Surf Pro getting a little bigger and going for the ultrabook market actually makes sense.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Put in an exchange request for my Type Keyboard 2 since it's a broken POS, and it's still under warranty. Gotta say I'm very impressed by MS's support site, letting me schedule a free exchange with no hassle whatsoever. Pretty painless stuff!

sca2511

I know this has been brought up before, but I'm not sure if it's been answered. Is there a way to view GAF (or any site) in mobile view during split screen?

I've heard some very good things about the surface line from a buddy. This person isn't ever overenthusiastic about our products (uses a mbp and iPhone.....), so that piqued my interest.

Put in an exchange request for my Type Keyboard 2 since it's a broken POS, and it's still under warranty. Gotta say I'm very impressed by MS's support site, letting me schedule a free exchange with no hassle whatsoever. Pretty painless stuff!
Yeah, Microsoft's support is pretty swell. My girlfriend "lost" her Surface charger at a hotel, and Microsoft made sure that shit got replaced ASAP. I was really impressed.

When I go to a Youtube video, I get redirected to the following page:

DJtFdTz.png

Anyone else get this? How can I fix? Clear cookies?

Paganmoon

It's when particular video ads are supposed to be played, (that reside on pagead02.googlesyndication.com) that it fails. Only real "fix" I've found for it is to set youtube to compatibility view, which I think makes the flashplayer not be able to play all ads, which in turn doesn't result in the said error.

Only tried on desktop, but there it seems to work, never tried compatibility view on metro.

Ade

I know this has been brought up before, but I'm not sure if it's been answered. Is there a way to view GAF (or any site) in mobile view during split screen?

Interesting you ask this.

I've got a tiny pet project I've been messing around with, but haven't had the motivation to finish, you imply there may be some interest to it, but Im not sure if I'm allowed to do it.

Basically, I have a Universal Windows App called "SnapGAF" It opens the mobile version of NeoGaf and lives on the right of your screen, taking a column up (by default its at 25% off your screen).

It was something I was going to look at seriously persuing once my ID@XBOX license came though, (I already have Win8 and WP8 Dev Licenses) because who wouldn't want to shout XBOX SNAP SNAPGAF at their Xboxone...

Do you think its worth me pushing it and getting it at least on the Win8 store for now? and is there someone here I need to talk to about getting permission to publish an unofficial NeoGAF Surface/WP/Xbone(!) app?

sca2511

I've got a tiny pet project I've been messing around with, but haven't had the motivation to finish, you imply there may be some interest to it, but Im not sure if I'm allowed to do it.

Basically, I have a Universal Windows App called "SnapGAF" It opens the mobile version of NeoGaf and lives on the right of your screen, taking a column up (by default its at 25% off your screen).

It was something I was going to look at seriously persuing once my ID@XBOX license came though, (I already have Win8 and WP8 Dev Licenses) because who wouldn't want to shout XBOX SNAP SNAPGAF at their Xboxone...

Do you think its worth me pushing it and getting it at least on the Win8 store for now? and is there someone here I need to talk to about getting permission to publish an unofficial NeoGAF Surface/WP/Xbone(!) app?

I'd definitely be interested in it. I'd guess you'd have to chat with EviLore about publishing it?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Go to tools in IE, add youtube.com to compatibility view sites. It's a dumb ad failure by youtube.

NeOak

I would use it both on tablets and Xbox One if I get one

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My laptop screen just cracked, but I'm not in the market for a laptop.

I just bought a surface 2 with a type cover 2, and almost every time I turn away from it and then come back and open it, the camera app is open and it's on the home screen and the tablet feels warm. What's going on? Isn't the tablet supposed to know that the type cover is closed? It's like the tablet is inadvertently pressing buttons and turning on the tablet. How do I stop this short of removing the type cover whenever I'm not using the device?

I just got mine for Christmas and I'm wanting this. Oh man.

Anyone else considering selling their for the SP3? I've got a 256 SP2 that I love, but that extra screen space sounds excellent for drawing. Is there a benchmark/size comparison up anywhere?

The same shit happened when I got my MBP in late December of '07 and they refreshed the entire lineup the following February.

NeOak

Anyone else considering selling their for the SP3? I've got a 256 SP2 that I love, but that extra screen space sounds excellent for drawing. Is there a benchmark/size comparison up anywhere?

The same shit happened when I got my MBP in late December of '07 and they refreshed the entire lineup the following February.

FYI, 256 levels N-trig instead of 1024 levels Wacom.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

Only if i can get a really good deal. Otherwise, i'll keep my sp2.

Top Bottom