• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What's up with all these cites saying surface pro 2 is delayed? They just charged my credit card.

Lazy reporting. The "delay" is SP2 256/512 versions not being restocked until Dec. I guess MS underestimated demand for those.

WP_20131018_001_zps07dd0419.jpg

hnnnnnnnghhhh

I asked my manager if I could steal one. He said no :(

Also, for those looking to pick one up in a retail store on the day of release, Staples will have the 128/4 gig models. My store got 5 of them, which will probably be standard for any non poverty stores. We did not receive 64, 256, or 512 models, and won't be getting them in store.

I would assume Best Buy's in the same boat, although likely higher quantity. For the original Surface Pro, Staples only got 64 gig models while Best Buy got mostly 64 gig models and 1-2 128's per store. Maybe Best Buy winds up with a couple 256's. I'll try to find out from my pal that works there.

Justin

For the people who had the first Surface RT did any of you get the 32gb and if you did were you ever hurting for space?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
For the people who had the first Surface RT did any of you get the 32gb and if you did were you ever hurting for space?

There was only 15GB of usable space. So you are already kinda hurting right off the bat.

Surface RT:

The 32 GB version has approximately 15 GB free hard disk space.
The 64 GB version has approximately 45 GB free hard disk space.

Surface Pro:

The 64 GB version has approximately 28 GB free hard disk space.
The 128 GB version has approximately 85 GB free hard disk space.

dem

You can move the recovery partition over to a USB drive to open up another 3.5 GB on the surface.. 7gb on the surface pro.

There is also an sd slot.. Which you can index/add to libraries on 8.1..

Personally I'm not hurting for space... But I haven't filled up my 16gb ipad/iphone either..

dLMN8R

Remember a couple things:

1) That RT number was fairly conservative, the actual number was 1-2GB higher

2) You can make the number even higher by moving the recovery partition to a USB key

3) 8.1 frees up even more space, a few gigs extra

Kibbles

Was disappointed to see the 8GB RAM model starts at $1,299.99. Yikes. Product looks cool but way too expensive.

trinest

I am surpsied Americans are having such bad luck with the Microsoft online store. Here in Australia my order was shipped on Wednesday and arrived in my town on Friday. (really could of been devilvered Friday, but nnnoooo) shipping says they will deliver it now on Monday.

My only issue with the store really has been the colour covers, they were really hopless in informing if they will have any at some point before launch or once launch happened. America had a few colours, but we never did. Ended up going down to JB Hi-fi and asking if they can preorder a cover for me and if they were expecting stock. Apparently my local one will get 2 of the Cyan, so I've preordered one, not sure when it will come but yeah that's good news for me as I wanted a coloured cover. So it shouldn't be to much longer :)

Also ordered a Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse. So that could be cool.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
It's in no way overpriced for what it is.

Expensive does not always mean overpriced. I think he means to say that he cannot afford it, which is totally understandable, seeing as how they are enterprise-level devices marketed in part to consumers.

This is why they should really be pushing the affordable and still amazing Surface 2. Way better feature-wise than any other tablet, with the only real downfall being a lack of app support where there needs to be, mainly games and other tools where a website would not suffice.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Microsoft's new Surface 2 tablet isn't supposed to go on sale until October 22nd, but one British retailer is selling it early to customers. Retail chain Argos listed the Surface 2 tablets on its own website this week, allowing customers to purchase them online and pick them up in store. Verge reader Chris Nelis managed to purchase a 32GB Surface 2 on Friday at his local store, and The Verge was able to buy its own unit this morning from an Argos store. The UK retailer isn't selling Type Cover 2 or Touch Cover 2 keyboard covers yet, just Surface 2 in 32GB or 64GB models. We weren't able to purchase a Surface Pro 2 at Argos either.

We'll have a more detailed look at Surface 2 in the coming days, but for now see our initial hands-on for our first impressions. We've reached out to Microsoft and Argos for comment on the early sales, and we'll update you accordingly.

Expensive does not always mean overpriced. I think he means to say that he cannot afford it, which is totally understandable, seeing as how they are enterprise-level devices marketed in part to consumers.

This is why they should really be pushing the affordable and still amazing Surface 2. Way better feature-wise than any other tablet, with the only real downfall being a lack of app support where there needs to be, mainly games and other tools where a website would not suffice.

is that what microsoft does with the other w8 tablets? most of the TV ad are the lesser ones when they do their ipad comparison video. there's more of that than the actual surface tv ads. doubt they switch any time soon. its a good mixture.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
^They will probably wait until the embargo is lifted.

From one of the comments in that article:

Bit of battery information. I’m still trying to kill the battery but 4 hours elapsed:

With the screen on full brightness and a full HD movie playing in a loop (with the speakers muted). I have 62 % battery remaining. Will update when it dies.

NeOak

I had a Surface Pro 256GB. However, I had a snafu with the digitizer and returned it yesterday to the MS Store and preordered a Pro 2 256GB. My student discount applies too, so I'll get a good deal for what it is.

The original Pro was awesome though during the 14 days I had it.

There is a new video up showing the power cable. It has a nice little indicator light that shows it is charging. I'd post but I'm mobile ATM. Just search for surface 2 videos posted today

Remember a couple things:

1) That RT number was fairly conservative, the actual number was 1-2GB higher

2) You can make the number even higher by moving the recovery partition to a USB key

3) 8.1 frees up even more space, a few gigs extra

Just wanted to ask this because I felt like I got quite a bit of extra free space after upgrading to 8.1 with my RT.
~6GB photos + quite a few apps on top of the preloaded stuff (I'm guessing ~2GB overall) and I still got 10.5GB free (32GB RT). I haven't moved the recovery partition to a USB key yet.
So it seems to be closer to sth. like 18-20GB free from the 32GB (~29.5) by now actually.

Gestahl

Just wanted to ask this because I felt like I got quite a bit of extra free space after upgrading to 8.1 with my RT.
~6GB photos + quite a few apps on top of the preloaded stuff (I'm guessing ~2GB overall) and I still got 10.5GB free (32GB RT). I haven't moved the recovery partition to a USB key yet.
So it seems to be closer to sth. like 18-20GB free from the 32GB (~29.5) by now actually.

It might depend on the device/size of the HDD/SDD. All my upgraded devices (Desktop, XPS12) seemed to have recovered maybe 5-10 gigs.

The comment on verge article sounds good to me....

Bit of battery information.

I’m still trying to kill the battery but 4 hours elapsed:

With the screen on full brightness and a full HD movie playing in a loop (with the speakers muted)

I have 62 % battery remaining.

Will update when it dies.

Top Bottom