• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

This is why they should really be pushing the affordable and still amazing Surface 2. Way better feature-wise than any other tablet, with the only real downfall being a lack of app support where there needs to be, mainly games and other tools where a website would not suffice.

ARM/Baytrail sucks for most folks in the market for a Surface Pro 2. It's too slow or lacks certain features as 32 bit.

SeanR1221

I started trying to justify a purchase to my wife but she put her foot down lol. I really wanted one after playing with it.

I'm starting new certification work in later January and the online course work should take a year. In that time I need to see clients in the field and also run meetings at night.

Right now I would have to take notes on my iPad in the field, bring out the MacBook Pro at a coffee shop to do course work and then again for meetings.

It would be nice to have it all in one.

I started trying to justify a purchase to my wife but she put her foot down lol. I really wanted one after playing with it.

I'm starting new certification work in later January and the online course work should take a year. In that time I need to see clients in the field and also run meetings at night.

Right now I would have to take notes on my iPad in the field, bring out the MacBook Pro at a coffee shop to do course work and then again for meetings.

It would be nice to have it all in one.

Sell the iPad and macbook and put the money towards surface pro...win?

SeanR1221

Sell the iPad and macbook and put the money towards surface pro...win?

iPad has way too many apps I use with my clients (autistic kids)

I told my wife I'd give her the pro but she doesn't want it.

If I eventually got one I'd rather sell her 08 MacBook and let her have the pro since it will have much longer legs.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
what's this about people editing the registries and installing a program that allows them to run a very small list of x86 programs on Windows RT?!!?

Is this something that could result in widespread program compatibility in the future, or will it always be limited in scope to a handful of basic programs?

They have MS Pinball and Free Cell perfect. That might be enough for me already! :p

NeOak

what's this about people editing the registries and installing a program that allows them to run a very small list of x86 programs on Windows RT?!!?

Is this something that could result in widespread program compatibility in the future, or will it always be limited in scope to a handful of basic programs?

They have MS Pinball and Free Cell perfect. That might be enough for me already! :p

Probably something that uses a limited subset of the Win32 API that MS Office for RT uses.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Probably something that uses a limited subset of the Win32 API that MS Office for RT uses.

That is how I understand it. A few games do work though, like Age of Empires, Might and Magic, etc.

It would be really nice if they could get things like Celtx (screenwriting software), and some emulators (moreso than what is available now) to work. I would pretty much be buying a Surface 2 that moment I heard it was possible. :p

Even still, I will be buying one eventually.

Justin

Im guessing 5-6 hours max.

Theyve been too secretive about it.

Also no reviews before launch is not good >.<

I don't expect reviews to be much different from last time. Sites will give it middling to bad reviews and people who own it will like it.

Lol, Microsoft has removed the 8.1 update for RT devices from the store. Apparently it bricked quite a few Surface RTs..

You had ONE job!

you-had-one-job-001pjeyg.png

maeh2k

im expecting pretty good reviews.

the verge - 8.5

Might depend on who reviews is, but it's not going to get an 8.5.

There aren't a lot of Windows devices that get those kinds of scores on the Verge. Recently the Acer Aspire S7 and the Dell XPS 12 both managed to get an 8.4. I can't remember the last time a Windows device got anything higher.
Besides, they don't appreciate that type of device much. They always wonder, who that product is for, and argue that it's neither a great notebook (screen size, hinge, keyboard) nor a great tablet (battery life, apps, weight, size).

Lucius86

Banned
I've received my order and despatch confirmation for my Type Cover (in purple) from Game UK, but nothing for my 256GB SP2 yet...

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

There aren't a lot of Windows devices that get those kinds of scores on the Verge. Recently the Acer Aspire S7 and the Dell XPS 12 both managed to get an 8.4. I can't remember the last time a Windows device got anything higher.
Besides, they don't appreciate that type of device much. They always wonder, who that product is for, and argue that it's neither a great notebook (screen size, hinge, keyboard) nor a great tablet (battery life, apps, weight, size).
surfaces are starting to pop up at where I work. My boss has one and he loves it. People that work for the verge just use google docs or something, they could use an ipad if they had to (the writers at least). for a lot of businesses something like the surface is a great tool.

Lucius86

Banned
how many points do you get?

I should have stated the SP2 is actually coming from MS directly, as I couldn't initially find where to get the type cover in purple until after I already pre-ordered.

My Game reward points have not been updated yet.

I'm just a tad concerned MS won't deliver the SP2 on release day, where I've purposefully made myself available at a specific work address to pick it up.

AlexMogil

Can you run Citrix apps (work related remote login etc) on the non-pro version?

Yes. There is a XenApp client in the store. You have to have Citrix Storefront to use it, which you'll have to check with your IT.

The new resolution on the Surface makes Remote Desktop and Citrix very attractive for IT.

Sigma722

my sp2 is next day air saver, which means i should definitely have it tuesday since it hasn't actually hit ups yet. wooo!

are we really coming up with excuses for low scores already?

read multiple reviews, don't let the Verge be some stamp of approval for the thing

maeh2k

are we really coming up with excuses for low scores already?

read multiple reviews, don't let the Verge be some stamp of approval for the thing

What do you expect? The Surface Pro 2 has the same form factor, size, and weight as the Pro 1 and while the battery life was improved significantly, it's still lower compared to other tablets and the MBA. To get a sneak peek at the Pro 2 review, you can just look at the review of its predecessor: http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/5/3955130/microsoft-surface-pro-review

Even a well-executed Surface still doesn't work for me, and I'd bet it doesn't work for most other people either. It's really tough to use on anything but a desk, and the wide, 16:9 aspect ratio pretty severely limits its usefulness as a tablet anyway. It's too big, too fat, and too reliant on its power cable to be a competitive tablet, and it's too immutable to do everything a laptop needs to do. In its quest to be both, the Surface is really neither. It's supposed to be freeing, but it just feels limiting.

nynt9

The Pro 2 is looking mighty attractive, but I already have a Pro 1 so I shouldn't get one... But that doesn't stop me from wanting it :(

Two of its main problems were its battery life and it's "lapability". It's battery life is significantly better and from the impressions I've heard the lapability is too thanks to the second kickstand angle. So reviews should be better. But I'm not sure how much better.

Nope. Many popular desktop apps are closed-source, ARM is a different chip, human capital is not there, and source code is not there. If we pretend the aforementioned is present, you have Atom-like performance because ARM is underpowered for much of the full OS. Best bet for the future would be 64bit ARM surface, mature app store, entire office suite ported w/o macros/add-ins, and the ability for IT to manage using traditional methods like domain join. Oh and sloppy seconds from post PCs like the iPad as far as their "desktop-class" apps are concerned. I think Windows PCs will do so poorly vs. post PC devices that's the best we can hope for under the rule of our Apple and Android overlords. I've already got my iPad and Nexus 4 so I'm pretty prepared.

surfaces are starting to pop up at where I work. My boss has one and he loves it. People that work for the verge just use google docs or something, they could use an ipad if they had to (the writers at least). for a lot of businesses something like the surface is a great tool.

Yeah my work is really pushing people to order Pro's that work out of the office and travel for their job. IT loves it because people can have a tablet and laptop in one that runs Windows.

Top Bottom