• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

I'm not quite sure I understand the pressing need for a Facebook app; the main functionality is baked into the OS and looks great.

The problem with third party apps is that they're always lagging behind when it comes to new features or API changes (which can break the app). With official ones, updates will be rolled out at the same time.

Milchjon

I'm not quite sure I understand the pressing need for a Facebook app; the main functionality is baked into the OS and looks great.

It may not be a "pressing" need, but FB is such a massive collection of functionality these days. I agree the integration is great, but sometimes it just doesn't cut it.

JaggedSac

Remoting noob question. In order to be able to remote into my desktop, it cannot sleep or hibernate. Is turning these things off detrimental to the lifespan of my desktop components?

xJavonta

Banned
If you really want to play games on your tablet, iPad is your only choice anyway. Convincing yourself otherwise is a folly.
Yup. Which is why I dont own a surface. The gadget lover in me is dying for one, but it'll get next to no use since I already have an iPad.

kazinova

It's somewhere around surfing the web with a chat or email pinned to the side of the screen that the Surface starts to make a whole lot of sense, and at that moment it put a big goofy grin on my face.

Totakeke

It's somewhere around surfing the web with a chat or email pinned to the side of the screen that the Surface starts to make a whole lot of sense, and at that moment it put a big goofy grin on my face.

I think it's the biggest improvement for desktop users as well. Sure, you can always resize windows in Windows 7 to do that, but usually the UI isn't meant for that and it's much less elegant than simply drag and drop.

Haklong

So I was able to mount my SD Card and add it to my Library. Even after doing this I'm unable to see my images and videos in the default MS apps (Photo, Video). Today I downloaded a photo app from the store and it was able to draw all of my images from the library, including the ones on the SD Card. I hope ms updates their apps to work with this soon. They also need some performance tweaks for some of the apps to work better. Xbox Music sometimes crashes if I do too much with the surface while I have it running. And the people hub takes a long time to draw data when I go to what's new.

Totakeke

I think he is asking about the amazon video on demand.

Oh, of course. There isn't one.

So I was able to mount my SD Card and add it to my Library. Even after doing this I'm unable to see my images and videos in the default MS apps (Photo, Video). Today I downloaded a photo app from the store and it was able to draw all of my images from the library, including the ones on the SD Card. I hope ms updates their apps to work with this soon. They also need some performance tweaks for some of the apps to work better. Xbox Music sometimes crashes if I do too much with the surface while I have it running. And the people hub takes a long time to draw data when I go to what's new.

I believe Microsoft strongly considers the SD card to be strictly external storage. So their apps aren't designed to integrate files on the SD card by default.

hwalker84

Did you add a new library? If so for some reason when you look at the locations go to Desktop in the app and they you'll see the new library.

jagowar

I assume you mean Amazon streaming video. There is no app, but streaming is perfectly fine in IE10 on the website. Hopefully an app will come eventually.

They had a slide of apps for win8 (I think on the win8 launch day event they put on) and the amazon instant streaming had a tile on that list so it is coming. I bet it will be out in the next few weeks. and hulu+ and netflix apps are there already.

Still waiting for Skulls of the Shogun, that was supposedly a Win8/RT launch title. I was holding out hope that it was going to be the XBLA release this week but alas. NEXT WEEK OR ELSE MS!!!

I was very saddened when it didn't come out for launch. I've been so stoked for this game. Briggildy brack!L:KJ:LKJ:LKJ!:Lkj;gflakj;fd

Mairu

Anyone else having issues with the Type Cover missing key presses? Can't quite tell if it's a problem with specific apps or with the keyboard itself

jagowar

I was very saddened when it didn't come out for launch. I've been so stoked for this game. Briggildy brack!L:KJ:LKJ:LKJ!:Lkj;gflakj;fd

Same.... also asked at the signal sudios website but toy soldiers will not be getting an arm port which to me is very disappointing. Was one of the games I was looking forward to playing on a touchscreen but I have no intention of getting an x86 tablet after a few days with my surface (unless the pro hits a very cheap price which I am doubting will happen).

http://www.signalstudios.net/forums/#/discussion/comment/1989

Haklong

Did you add a new library? If so for some reason when you look at the locations go to Desktop in the app and they you'll see the new library.

I can see the content from the video app if I browse for it. My content on the SD card is also in the new library I created from the windows library, it's just the photo app that doesn't acknowledge the content on the SD Card. This third party app sees that content fine. All the content I added to the windows library. MS just needs to let it's apps do the same.

So, I was using the ABC app, which is a pretty nice app, and I ran across a problem. It wouldn't disable the display timer, so every so often I would have to touch the screen to keep it active.

I then try to submit feedback in the charms bar and it tells me that my email address was invalid... but it is my normal email address.

Anyone else run into this?

dLMN8R

Updates on this thing is kind of annoying. Why are there three different places to go for updates? What's the normal way of getting to Windows Update on the desktop on RT? I couldn't find it in the Settings, it doesn't show up in the Office apps themselves, and it doesn't show up in the control panel by default. After changing the control panel to icon view instead of the summaries introduced with windows 7 I found the Windows Update tab, but this just seems backwards - On a tablet I'm confused as to why the update option in the metro settings menu doesn't just update everything. I mean, I suppose I can understand applications being separate from OS updates or firmware updates but then there's a third layer - desktop windows updates?

But I finally found it and I'm updating now, thanks.

edit: well, or not- can't seem to get past this:
Screenshot%20%288%29.png

ps- any way to decrease the compression in windows screenshots?

edit: ended up fixing itself after a few more tries, not sure what caused it or what fixed it
The Office update isn't showing up in PC Settings because it's deliberately scaled back for gradual distribution. It wasn't completely intended this way, but more of a bug/side-effect due to some other decisions.

Since it's being gradually rolled out, it's not auto-selected for install yet. If it's not auto-selected for install, it doesn't show up on PC Settings. PC Settings Windows Update only shows you Important stuff that is auto-selected for install.

The intent is that most people won't even check for updates manually. It'll just happen automatically in the background at some point in the future - including the Office update. However it seems apparent that the Office as it ships on Surface has more issues than originally realized, such as typing lag many have reported.

The error in that screenshot means that your machine ran out of memory. Don't know why, but if it was happening automatically in the background it would eventually succeed.

Mairu

The Office update isn't showing up in PC Settings because it's deliberately scaled back for gradual distribution. It wasn't completely intended this way, but more of a bug/side-effect due to some other decisions.

Since it's being gradually rolled out, it's not auto-selected for install yet. If it's not auto-selected for install, it doesn't show up on PC Settings. PC Settings Windows Update only shows you Important stuff that is auto-selected for install.

The intent is that most people won't even check for updates manually. It'll just happen automatically in the background at some point in the future - including the Office update. However it seems apparent that the Office as it ships on Surface has more issues than originally realized, such as typing lag many have reported.

The error in that screenshot means that your machine ran out of memory. Don't know why, but if it was happening automatically in the background it would eventually succeed.

O_O

I had the same issue after restarting, so I'm not sure why memory was an issue. In any case, it eventually worked after a few tries. I still don't quite understand why the desktop Windows Update still exists on WinRT

dLMN8R

O_O

I had the same issue after restarting, so I'm not sure why memory was an issue. In any case, it eventually worked after a few tries. I still don't quite understand why the desktop Windows Update still exists on WinRT

It's definitely not ideal, but this specific problem will go away for people once the Office update gets scaled up for automatic distribution.

Windows Update serves a lot of functions. Getting rid of it on the Desktop would mean requiring a whole lot of rebuilding it in PC Settings. Update history, uninstallations, update details, error reporting, and troubleshooting errors for example.

eastmen

Banned
I've been out of the loop since Monday due to the hurricane taking my power. Has anything happened with the surface pro ?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I've been out of the loop since Monday due to the hurricane taking my power. Has anything happened with the surface pro ?
no, and I wouldn't expect anything to happen with it till the middle of January. they have already told us the specs, and that it is releasing 3 months after October 26th, aka January. Nothing more really needs to be said except for the price and the date and that won't be coming until a week or two before release.

Did Edmonton ever get their Surface's?

Yes. I got a phonecall on Saturday morning to either come pick it up, or send a courier to bring it to me.

I have to say, I was irritated by the fact they were lost, but the store handled it amazingly well. That's some Apple-ian customer service and beyond right there. Microsoft sent them on a Cessna.

Totakeke

Layout for the 'Modern' theme needs to be more like News Bento or Bing News. Just a very boring grid at the moment.

Well RSS readers are usually meant for consuming large sources of website and news at a rapid pace. For me anyway. Quite contrary to the objective of the apps you mentioned. Could RSS readers be designed more elegantly? Maybe.

Top Bottom