• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

strata8

Well RSS readers are usually meant for consuming large sources of website and news at a rapid pace. For me anyway. Quite contrary to the objective of the apps you mentioned. Could RSS readers be designed more elegantly? Maybe.

I was talking about this:
Screenshot.29960.1000000.jpg

The 3-column layout is fine, but whatever they've done here is neither easy to read at a rapid pace nor arranged aesthetically.

Totakeke

I was talking about this:
Screenshot.29960.1000000.jpg

The 3-column layout is fine, but whatever they've done here is neither easy to read at a rapid pace nor arranged aesthetically.

Oh. I was wondering how do you even get to that layout, turns out you have to click on the icon on the top left to bring that view. But yeah, not useful unless you need big touch tagets.

The app also doesn't support pinning to the side. You'd think mobile developers would know better what to do with limited screen sizes already.

JaggedSac

Last night I remoted into my desktop and did some development work. Worked like a charm and was the first time I really used the touch keyboard for an extended time. Have to say I was having some issues with hitting the left shift, but after a couple minutes it was no longer an issue. Have to say this little thing is pretty awesome. Once I was done, I flipped the keyboard cover over, shut the kickstand, laid down on the sofa and started browsing gaf.

ksdixon

Last night I remoted into my desktop and did some development work. Worked like a charm and was the first time I really used the touch keyboard for an extended time. Have to say I was having some issues with hitting the left shift, but after a couple minutes it was no longer an issue. Have to say this little thing is pretty awesome. Once I was done, I flipped the keyboard cover over, shut the kickstand, laid down on the sofa and started browsing gaf.
how is the remote ffeature for viewing video files remotely, for example? the free version of logmein.com for example sucks ass for me.

SOmething about that article is not right. It's claiming the iPad 3 is running an FPS shooter at full native retina resolution at 30 fps. This is a feat that most desktops with dedicated hardware can't pull off at a lower 2560 x 1600 resolution. I'm wondering if I'm reading it right?

of course there are FPS shooters that most desktops with dedicated hardware can pull off at that framerate and resolution.

the game is designed for the iPad 3's resolution and abilities. a first person shooter could run at native res at 30 fps on the surface easily. would it look as good? I don't really know of course... but hopefully enough surfaces sell that developers target it's specs when designing games for the Windows 8 store.

Mairu

What's the life?

Doesn't seem like more than a day. I use it pretty infrequently but yesterday at some point at night it shut off (probably after 15 or so hours?)

I'm not sure if there's a battery usage section to get more detailed info but I'm definitely disappointed.

Mairu

Must be a rogue app or something. I just went 3 days on one charge and I still had 30% left.

Not sure what app it could have been then. Rowi I guess? I haven't been using much other than Office, IE, Rowi, & the NYTimes app occasionally.

hwalker84

I generally go 3 days of moderate usage before I have to charge it. The only thing I don't like is the battery percentage doesn't seem that accurate. I was in the middle of web browsing and the device said 10% left of so but then it just shutdown.

jagowar

I get about 2 full days with moderate usage.... and fyi on the desktop you can get a % of the battery.... in the same place it is on all laptops.

JaggedSac

how is the remote ffeature for viewing video files remotely, for example? the free version of logmein.com for example sucks ass for me.

Haven't tried it.

Doesn't seem like more than a day. I use it pretty infrequently but yesterday at some point at night it shut off (probably after 15 or so hours?)

I'm not sure if there's a battery usage section to get more detailed info but I'm definitely disappointed.

Interesting. Sounds like a rogue app or something.

I haven't charged it for 3 days, and it's fine. Not sure what happened with yours.

mm04

Weird. Glad to hear it's not normal I guess. It shut itself off when it ran out of battery but I'll try shutting it down & starting it back up again anyways

Yeah, you've got all sorts of funky stuff going on with yours. Maybe try and exchange it.

Milchjon

According to WPCentral:

Update: It appears as though the Surface RT tablet has sold out across the markets where its available. This is displayed on the Microsoft Stores for the UK, France, Germany, Australia and Canada. Looks like the tablet is extremely popular across the board and not just in the states. If you're looking to pick up the cheapest model it looks as though you'll have a slight wait to go through.

MasLegio

Banned
Looks like Civilization 5 has been updated to be played on Surface pro

they just added another version to the start up menu

"Windows 8 - Touch Enabled."

KoukiFC

Neo Member
What games are you guys playing on your Surface?

I love how it syncs with my desktop PC. I know it works with Hydro Thunder & Rocket Riot.

Looks like Civilization 5 has been updated to be played on Surface pro

they just added another version to the start up menu

"Windows 8 - Touch Enabled."

That's cool. I hope that becomes a trend where possible.

That said, can the Pro even run Civ5? It has a pretty weak chip I thought.

Oprah: Microsoft's Surface is like a Mercedes

Microsoft’s Surface Tablet launched last week to mostly positive reviews, though it hasn’t yet attracted the kind of fervor that attended the iPad — and the company won’t yet say how well it’s selling.

But the Redmond giant can now bask in one potentially game-changing endorsement from Oprah Winfrey, who has declared the Surface one of her “Favorite Things” of 2012.

“It feels like a Mercedes-Benz to me, people!” gushes Oprah in the December issue of O, on newsstands Nov. 6. Her “Favorite Things 2012″ list was released online Thursday.

“The full-size keyboard built right into the cover makes work easy, the very smart kickstand makes watching a movie or Skyping a friend a delight, the less than a pound-and-a-half weight makes a great alternative to a laptop,” she adds.

“Now, that’s a wowser!”

Totakeke

So I ordered a Surface with a Cyan touch cover just before the basic verison went OOS. :) Held off the purchase of a new phone and iPad mini for now, probably still want to get a 3DS.

I'm looking for a SDXC card, how's the performance of the ones you guys are using so far? Any particular reason to get better/more expensive cards?

jagowar

What games are you guys playing on your Surface?

I love how it syncs with my desktop PC. I know it works with Hydro Thunder & Rocket Riot.

Right now still pinball fx2, hydro thunder and wordament mostly. With some adera as well.

Was really looking forward to playing toy soldiers but sadly that is x86 only (I asked signal studios on their website and they say an arm port isn't in the works which is a huge bummer to me).... really hope that is the exception and now that arm hardware is out there and surface seemingly very popular every game from now on will come out for arm. Also really wanting to try out Skulls of the Shogun and some of the other games on the launch lineup list.

Windows RT development needs to kick into high gear over the next two months. Not Win8 development..but native windows RT development.

App performance/responsiveness should be (at the very least) on par with the iPad 2 and iPad mini.

Right now still pinball fx2, hydro thunder and wordament mostly. With some adera as well.

Was really looking forward to playing toy soldiers but sadly that is x86 only (I asked signal studios on their website and they say an arm port isn't in the works which is a huge bummer to me).... really hope that is the exception and now that arm hardware is out there and surface seemingly very popular every game from now on will come out for arm. Also really wanting to try out Skulls of the Shogun and some of the other games on the launch lineup list.

how does Pinball FX2 run on the surface? 60 fps? can you use the better textures and reflections?

I just got shipping confirmation on my 32 Gig without touch cover. I ordered day 1, but not early enough to get the confirmed delivery for last week. No estimated delivery date yet, presumably because UPS haven't picked it up and scanned it yet.

I just got shipping confirmation on my 32 Gig without touch cover. I ordered day 1, but not early enough to get the confirmed delivery for last week. No estimated delivery date yet, presumably because UPS haven't picked it up and scanned it yet.

I ordered yesterday and just got my shipping confirmation too.

Moppet13

Really? I pre ordered mine and it's still not shipped

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So I've used the Surface all week long at work, carrying it everywhere I go, using it in meetings and to type up a lot of reports. I've used Word and saved everything to the SkyDrive, and attached docs to emails using the SkyDrive and Mail app in conjunction. I've tied it into my work Exchange server, and have been using the Calendar app.

I have to say it's become a part of my work day so much that I pick it up without thinking about it. I used to carry a Nexus 7 around for the same purpose, but ended up only using it for email/calendar and to occassionally take notes. The Surface, on the other hand, is basically like hauling around a very light laptop, and it just plain rocks. I've only charged it twice during this whole time, battery life has been very good (I keep the brightness at about 60%).

I've mostly used the Touch Cover while on a table in meeting rooms, but have occasionally used it on my lap, and it works great. As someone above mentioned, the left-shift key is the only thing I have issues hitting, and I'm getting used to compensating for it without thinking.

All in all, I love this little device.

Oh, and the sound output to my Denon D2000's sounds great. It won't replace my normal desk rig (Amazon Cloud -> Laptop -> AudioQuest DragonFly -> Denon D2000), but it's very nice indeed.

Complaints: The Windows symbol has all but worn off the back of the thing. Really sucks :(

So, what happens when Microsoft discontinues their keyboards for this thing?

I mean, it does ship with a standard USB port, and it is mostly a tablet similar to an iPad/Nexus/Kindle Fire.

I think there is a very good reason they have sold out of the $499 model. Can't see too many people spending money for the keyboard ($120) when, mostly, wherever they go they'll find a USB keyboard and mouse.

I also think the Pro model won't sell nearly as well for Microsoft (I think the OEMs will eat into that market).

Top Bottom