• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

stktt

Banned
They sometimes were painfully slow to open even on my i7 (the store being the biggest offender)... A few weeks ago Ms released an 170mb update that pretty much addressed those problems... Now i don't think any of them takes more then a 1-2 seconds like, ever.

I'm hoping the review units didn't had this update applied...

And then there were updates to the apps themselves, The people app for instance, had a lot of trouble actually syncing the changes to my contacts, and when viewing someone's feed it could take a loooong time to load... Now it's much better.

Of course, i can't tell for sure because the device i'm using win8 is a hell of a lot better than any of the tablets coming out this year, but it's so smooth (even compared to win7) that i have absolutely no worries regarding performance on wRT tablets.

The ABC review said that Microsoft has performance update that should be releasing soon. That 170mb update already sped things up on my computer, so I'm hoping it will solve whatever issues remain with performance.

Joshua giving a MS product a mediocre review? Who'd have thunk it?

A 7 isn't bad at all. That's about what I expect from a majority of reviews. I'm sure the app selection will improve, but, at the moment, it pales in comparison to what's available on iOS.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Don't do it. You can be sure that MS will update this thing in the next 6 months. Tegra 3 and 1366x768 = no buy. Don't ignore your instinct.

Just buy Windows 8 on Friday. That will tide you over.

Well I didn't preorder for a reason. I don't mind the Tegra 3 and 1366 x 768 persay, but on a tablet that big for that price I guess I expect a tad more. The Nexus can get away with it because it's a smaller screen with a much cheaper price point. I hate that so many devices are using that chipset though as I don't think it ever pained out to be near as good as Nvidia hyped it up to be.

Troll

Banned
Joshua giving a MS product a mediocre review? Who'd have thunk it?

I thought Josh had a pretty good review for it. A 7 is totally fair, and even though some of his points were nit picks and some of his points were lazy the review was fine.

I give his review of the Surface a 7 also.

Troll

Banned
hjFJN.png

the reviews all seem fair to me. mostly positive, as expected, but you're going to have people that either wanted it to be a valid laptop replacement, and you're going to have people that want it to have all the same major apps iOS has already.

i don't think it's unfair to judge the surface against a laptop or an iPad, and clearly while some reviewers have, most haven't, so you've got a good variety of opinions for people who are looking for different things.

Fury Sense

Really excited and hoping this does well. Waiting for the Pro myself, but already have Windows 8 on my desktop at home and it increased my Experience Index from 6.9 on Windows 7 to 7.1 on W8.

The apps are cool, I much prefer the native Netflix app to using the service in a web browser. Still getting used to a bit of the system navigation, but all the keyboard shortcuts are still the same so it's fine.

Did you guys know they already got Civ V working perfectly on a touch tablet with Windows 8 on it?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Looks good. Going to hold out for Haswell Pro next year.

stktt

Banned
I'm hoping mine is here by Friday. I ordered it on the 18th, but the shipping status on the Surface website changed the next morning.

KorrZ

My hype keeps rising with every review I read. If apps are really the biggest sticking point about this device then it's easily the iPad replacement I've been waiting for.

Did you guys know they already got Civ V working perfectly on a touch tablet with Windows 8 on it?

That's really awesome, although that game is pretty CPU intensive, I don't think I'd want to see the load times on turns late game on a tablet.

Phoenix

Well I didn't preorder for a reason. I don't mind the Tegra 3 and 1366 x 768 persay, but on a tablet that big for that price I guess I expect a tad more. The Nexus can get away with it because it's a smaller screen with a much cheaper price point. I hate that so many devices are using that chipset though as I don't think it ever pained out to be near as good as Nvidia hyped it up to be.

There aren't a lot of other good options though...

the reviews all seem fair to me. mostly positive, as expected, but you're going to have people that either wanted it to be a valid laptop replacement, and you're going to have people that want it to have all the same major apps iOS has already.

i don't think it's unfair to judge the surface against a laptop or an iPad, and clearly while some reviewers have, most haven't, so you've got a good variety of opinions for people who are looking for different things.
I'd love for some reviews to be more aggressive regarding those tablets being a laptop replacement...

Okay, maybe the bundled dock/type cover are not enough for it to actually be a laptop. But the hardware supports 3rd party keyboards, second monitor and whatnot...

I wish they would review those scenarios, citing incompatibilities problems, using remote desktop (both at the same network and at a remote network) etc...

There's a few productivity options already that none of reviews seemed to address... For example, i could rent an server on Ms azure and use it for development, but would it be good? Would the remote desktop client work with touch?

I understand the reviews being just about what comes out of the box, but being easier to connect to other stuff is also a big part of those tablets...

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
My hype keeps rising with every review I read. If apps are really the biggest sticking point about this device then it's easily the iPad replacement I've been waiting for.

That's really awesome, although that game is pretty CPU intensive, I don't think I'd want to see the load times on turns late game on a tablet.

Maybe they fixed it? And by fixed it I don't mean dual map size second turn (after everything's cached and there's nothing going on).

That engine simply isn't sustainable. Core count and per core speed isn't growing as fast as it used to and Moore's law is going to end in like 5-10 years.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I thought it was a pretty fair review. I think he may of docked it's ecosystem more than I thought, but it's not an unreasonable argument to make. Yeah no, Josh is many adjectives, but I think he writes fair reviews.

EDIT: Seems going by the reviews, that the hardware is very very nice. That's what puts the Surface tablets above the others in my mind.

This surface tablet is looking pretty interesting. I saw in the other thread this will be online only for a while to order? Does this mean they won't even have them in windows stores?

I was watching the Verge video review and it looks extremely awkward in portrait, something I see most people who use tablets use. So if it's meant to be in the kick stand position with the keyboard then why not just get a laptop?

Troll

Banned
No. Are there updated drivers available?

Cnet found where to download some on the Synaptics site.

Downloading the Windows 7/Vista/XP drivers did the trick, though. After installing the 64-bit drivers in the Windows 8 RTM, I got my gestures and a full control panel for the touch pad where I could adjust all the settings. The drivers also picked up the red pointing stick on my Lenovo laptop, so I can now tweak that as well as my touch pad.

The Windows 7 Synaptics drivers seem to fill the niche just fine, at least until Windows 8-specific drivers become available.

SeanR1221

I was watching the Verge video review and it looks extremely awkward in portrait, something I see most people who use tablets use. So if it's meant to be in the kick stand position with the keyboard then why not just get a laptop?

I rarely use my iPad in portrait.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I doubt anyone will use this in portrait. The OS was designed to use in landscape anyway. All of the controls are meant to be used by your thumbs. You swipe in from the right side to get that bar with the search, share, windows button, devices and settings. Swipe in from the left to get the task switcher or the previous opened application. All of the buttons on the app bars which you swipe in from the top or bottom are on the corners, accessible by thumb.

artist

Banned
The gizmodo review was scathing. God damn.

The verge was more forgiving it seems. Looking at it now.

In general this was not the revolutionary device I expected. Wonder when/if we will see the pro.
Do you seriously think they will can the Pro SKU based on lukewarm reception of the RT?

To be honest, the reviews are exactly in-line with my expectations. It's a very good device in the right direction, I'm hoping the 2.0 will be great just like how the 3G was over the OG iPhone.

Seriously cut this shit out.

Josh's review was rock solid. There are some niggling things in there that I disagree with. Especially regarding the app-selection stuff, but other than that it was a well written piece. I can't wait to get the device in my hands!

I disagree, but whatever.

I mean clicking stuff is about as good as it gets, but the whole right click, go to the bottom of the screen, to modify stuff is against every UI design book around.

Trying to figure out wtf is going on with the 1/3 2/3 thing with multimonitors is a pain as well.

Sometimes I press start key, start menu opens on the left monitor, sometimes the right.

Otherwise, win 8 is fine for me. It's not the best thing ever, but it's functional. I really do wish the new stuff worked well enough that I started to incorporate them in my normal pc use, but in the end, I pretty much just use it as old desktop windows most of the time.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
it's funny that they knock it for not having a New York Times app. make one!
right click in the bing news application and you can bring up a new York times section
I mean clicking stuff is about as good as it gets, but the whole right click, go to the bottom of the screen, to modify stuff is against every UI design book around.

Trying to figure out wtf is going on with the 1/3 2/3 thing with multimonitors is a pain as well.

Sometimes I press start key, start menu opens on the left monitor, sometimes the right.

Otherwise, win 8 is fine for me. It's not the best thing ever, but it's functional. I really do wish the new stuff worked well enough that I started to incorporate them in my normal pc use, but in the end, I pretty much just use it as old desktop windows most of the time.
yeah I stay in desktop mode most of the time on my....desktop which also has more than one monitor. As for the multi-monitor stuff, I think that is the weakest stuff out of the whole OS. The corner UIs are better than they were in the CP and RP but you still have to train yourself to hit them on a multi-monitor setup. As for the start screen behavior, it always opens in the last place you used any of the metro functions. Even if that is accessing the charms bar on one screen (both side bars are accessible on any screen). And the start screen and its applications are only limited to one screen. (btw if you are having trouble snapping applications, right click in the task switcher. there are options for "snap to the right or left".) Also I suggest increasing your mouse speed.

Totakeke

That’s not all that’s wrong with Windows RT, either. There’s no speech recognition, let alone Siri; no app folders; no automated guidance in Maps. The Control Panel offers features like typing suggestions and autocorrect, but I couldn’t get them to work anywhere. Sometimes the on-screen keyboard doesn’t pop up when it’s supposed to.

Heh.

Great to hear that the only two reviews that matter are from The Verge and Gizmodo. MS and OEMs need to send those ships back to Taiwan and cancel all launch events and go back to the drawing board.

It does seem like it could be a bit awkward to hold as a tablet...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Great to hear that the only two reviews that matter are from The Verge and Gizmodo. MS and OEMs need to send those ships back to Taiwan and cancel all launch events and go back to the drawing board.

No, but to be fair basically all of the sites have said the same thing. Some iffy app performance, early on ecosystem, and only a 1366 x 768 screen on a 10.6" $500/+ device. They like the build quality pretty much, and most agree the keyboards work better than many were expecting. They also think the OS shows some promise and avoids being "me too" much like they all said with WP7.

Honestly most of the reviews have said the same things, but it's just been spun in different directions to sound more harsh or less scathing.

People will probably totally disagree with me though.

I dunno, haven't looked into it. Pics?

portrait%20surface-420-90.jpg

No, but to be fair basically all of the sites have said the same thing. Some iffy app performance, early on ecosystem, and only a 1366 x 768 screen on a 10.6" $500/+ device. They like the build quality pretty much, and most agree the keyboards work better than many were expecting. They also think the OS shows some promise and avoids being "me too" much like they all said with WP7.

Honestly most of the reviews have said the same things, but it's just been spun in different directions to sound more harsh or less scathing.

People will probably totally disagree with me though.

That is basically my read on it as well. Sounds like a good, not great, first release of hardware and software. There is alot of room to improve, but there is also a great deal of potential. Great for early adopters, but not quite ready for prime time...

Top Bottom