• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Pooya

The Surface Pro runs surprisingly cool, thanks to its peripheral venting. Heat isn't pushed out of a single vent by a fan, but is evenly ejected via a slot that surrounds the entire tablet. It's an interesting approach, and one we'll need to spend more time exploring — especially under heavy CPU load. The vent also makes the Surface Pro seem thinner than it is, drawing the eye away from the rest of the case.

I like this.

Milchjon

Soooo, time for hypotheticals in here:

WHAT IF the Surface Pro turned out to be a great product?

Would the tech (blogging) world implode?

Milchjon

Surface pro doesn't come with Office? Doesn't RT come with it?

Yeah, it does. But it's a bit of a goodie because you can't install desktop programs and they needed something to differentiate, I guess.

Surface Pro doesn't come with Office just like any other Laptop/Hybrid/Tablet doesn't normally come with it.

Synless

Yeah, it does. But it's a bit of a goodie because you can't install desktop programs and they needed something to differentiate, I guess.

Surface Pro doesn't come with Office just like any other Laptop/Hybrid/Tablet doesn't normally come with it.
That's kind of screwed either way. If I'm paying for a premium product I should at least get everything the lesser model gets and more.

Alx

I suppose the original reasoning behind the lack of Office on Pro is that companies have their own team licenses for such applications, so including a single user license with each device would be redundant. I don't think Surface Pro should be considered as a premium surface, it is what it says on the box : Surface for professionals.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
That's kind of screwed either way. If I'm paying for a premium product I should at least get everything the lesser model gets and more.

Not really. The RT had to have that version of Office specifically made for it to give it the capability of being able to be a work tablet as well. Pro doesn't have that issue. You can install whatever office suite you want, Libre if you prefer. You don't have that choice on RT.

Couldn't be more stoked for the Surface Pro after hearing the good news about the heat dissipation. It was one of my few concerns. Also glad to hear they made the microSD slot more accessible.

UGHH LET ME BUY IT ALREADY

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Seriously..I might just go with the Best Buy route just to make sure I have this fuckin thing asap. Really need it for work already.

elektrixx

Banned
VGA on the Surface Pro? That's weird.

According to the article a custom cable is required to use the port. If that's true then why change it?

Bit-Bit

That Pro is mine. Gonna transfer my Office License from the Desktop to the Pro and use it for all of my work/school. Then my desktop can just be the gaming/video editing box.

Surface pro doesn't come with Office? Doesn't RT come with it?

The license is included in the $499 price of RT.
Office is one of RTs key value adds at that price point. Otherwise Microsoft is competing with a 4th generation iPad with better specs and a larger ecosystem....

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The license is included in the $499 price of RT.
Office is one of RTs key value adds at that price point. Otherwise Microsoft is competing with a 4th generation iPad with better specs and a larger ecosystem....
USB, mouse, file system and micr HDMI are also specs. Horses for courses

zorbsie

Those articles are getting me so hyped for the pro. I only wish Microsoft wasn't so cagey on release dates outside of the US. Seems weird that even now, tech sites are only guessing on a Jan 26 - 29 date. I would have thought that Microsoft would be promoting like crazy at this point. Maybe they don't want to piss off OEMs.

Also I thought it was confirmed that the pro had waccom tech in it, but that first article stated that is not the case. That's kind of a bummer.

Pooya

about the 7w Ivy Bridge CPU http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/9/3856050/intel-candid-explains-misleading-7w-ivy-bridge-marketing

the new Y-series Ivy Bridge chips would run at just 7 watts. But it turned out Intel wasn't referring to TDP anymore. Instead, that 7-watt figure referred to a new "Scenario Design Point" (SDP) measurement. The so-called 7W parts actually have a TDP of 13 watts, with only one chip actually reaching the original 10W TDP goal.

Surprisingly, that doesn't mean that we won't have thinner laptops, tablets, and convertibles, though. Intel can actually limit these processors to 7 watts permanently, so that manufacturers can build thinner designs to suit.

So what happens when these chips run at 7 watts? They're slower, of course.

new Core i7-3689Y run at their advertised 1.5GHz in a system with 13 watts worth of cooling, and turbo up to 2.6GHz when things stay cool enough to do so. At 7 watts, however, the Core i7-3689Y runs at only 800MHz by default. Here's a crucial note, though: Intel tells us that the processor can still turbo up to that same 2.6GHz when the cooling system has available headroom.

Milchjon

I say it's gorgeous because this display is unprecedented on this type of device.

:-O

The pen auto calibrates and I found the tracking was very precise. Palm rejection works as you'd expect so that you can rest your hands on the screen while you take notes or draw.

I was expecting to be disappointed by the thickness and weight combo, but Microsoft has made this really comfortable to use.

We'll have to test this further when we receive a review unit, but it certainly seems like Microsoft has managed to make this pre-production model silent.

(Speed) It's night and day with the Surface Pro.

So hyped. Prepare for Disappointmenton.

Milchjon

"Can't use it on my lap wah wah wah."

I don't really get this argument. I mean I get the problem, but wouldn't that mean you're doomed to always have a dock if you want a hybrid?

Foolworm

Dang, all the publications are now saying that the Pro was everything RT should have been and more, since they fixed most of the (admittedly minor) design flaws. Even the battery life sounds more palatable now (5 hours is plenty - I remember when laptops with 3 hour lives were commonplace).

Long story short, I'm salivating. Seriously considering getting one in lieu of a replacement for my laptop when it dies.

Top Bottom