• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

stktt

Banned
I'll probably stick with my RT until the next revision is released. Then again, Nokia's tablet also sounds appealing.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Truly intriguing use case with the large monitor mirroring and using the surface as a large artboard/trackpad. Never considered that. Looks like I will be ebaying my surface rt using the money to get a surface pro then ebaying that again to get a Haswell machine.

Too bad Intel couldn't get their processor ducks in a row in time for win 8 launch. Things would look quite different in the Wintel universe. Wonder what apple will do with mbp with a Haswell chip. They could potentially design something special although they have sworn off using touchscreens on laptops.

Milchjon

6/10

- Bigger & heavier than an iPad
- Feels heavier than a Apple device with identical weight
- Only runs Windows
- Configurability and Options

(judging from their other non-apple reviews)

Ecosystem: Windows Store lacks apps compared to Apple's App Store. 5/10

According to The Verge's Surface RT review almost every problem they had with it will be solved with the Surface Pro. So in reality it should at least get around an 8.5 or so. But we're talking about The Verge here. They're reviews can be pretty outrageous some times. So I wouldn't be surprised with something like a 7.3.

maeh2k

Wonder what apple will do with mbp with a Haswell chip. They could potentially design something special although they have sworn off using touchscreens on laptops.

I don't think they completely discount touch on other devices and I wouldn't be surprised to see them add touch in the not-too-distant future. It's just really hard to bring touch to a desktop OS. If it was easy to adapt the entire OS they already would have done it. MS basically added a layer on top of their OS and left the rest completely untouched (pun intended). No idea how Apple is going to do it but they surely must be thinking about it (maybe somehow bringing iOS into it to leverage their success there).

verbum

From a ZD Net article a couple of days ago.

Kirk Skaugen, the VP and GM of Intel's Client Group, said that the company will push lower power core chips now. These Core processors run at 7 watts instead of 10 watts. This move is a hold the fort maneuver that should make the current batch of hardware running Windows 8 more appealing.

The upshot: The current crop of Windows 8 devices will improve beginning in April or May.

However, the better move is to wait for Microsoft to update Windows 8 and Intel to launch its fourth generation Core processors. Skaugen said that $599 touch-based PCs will be the norm by the end of 2013...

Let's sum this up. Anyone who bought Windows 8 hardware in recent weeks acquired retrofit devices that feel a bit 1.0 because they are. If you buy in a month or two, you'll get better battery life. If you wait until the holiday season of 2013, Wintel will fully have its act together.

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-sales-intel-confirms-hurry-up-and-wait-scenario-7000009516/

I might wait.

Alx

I'm fine with the RT at the moment too... the Pro sounds great, but I'll probably wait for a later model with longer battery life. If it ever compares to that of the RT and is silent enough, it would be perfect.

JaggedSac

PCWorld Surface Hands-On

PCWorld person said:
We also ran Surface RT with an external display, driving a behemoth, high-res monitor via the Pro’s Mini DisplayPort adapter. OK, that was a revelation. When attached to an external monitor, the Surface Pro really does become a full PC

Ignoring the RT mistake, how is this a revelation to anyone?

But Surface RT was also laden with a crappy OS—hobbled by Windows RT and its “desktop as barren wasteland” conceit. And this is why I now discuss Surface RT in the past-tense. It’s not a device that anyone can seriously consider.

Yeah, anyone who completely blows the device off like that is not a person whose opinion anyone can seriously consider.

Haklong

Yeah, anyone who completely blows the device off like that is not a person whose opinion anyone can seriously consider.

I never understood this stance. I like being able to see and use the desktop on the Surface RT. I see it and I don't get confused about not being able to install desktop apps. I like being able to access the file system and it made it much easier for me to manage work files, images, and music.

I recently sold my RT so I can put the money towards a pro because I do need to install desktop apps for work. If it weren't for that I would have kept the RT and waited for gen 2 of the Pro.

JaggedSac

I already do this with my RT via HDMI. And to be honest it was kind of a revelation to me, because it makes the RT screen both control surface and monitor and I am sort of into it.

Yeah, it is certainly cool, but I thought that was one of the first things everyone thought of when they saw W8. Devices that work great as tablets and then work great as productivity devices when docked and/or when keyboard/mouse are attached.

I never understood this stance. I like being able to see and use the desktop on the Surface RT. I see it and I don't get confused about not being able to install desktop apps. I like being able to access the file system and it made it much easier for me to manage work files, images, and music.

Agreed.

iFootball

After seeing the final specs, reading the hands-on previews, I'm sincerely considering buying the Pro now... HYPE ++

I sold my Laptop just in time a couple of months ago and this would be a great replacement for my needs... no need for a Laptop+iPad if I've get the Pro... hopefully it also comes day-1 to Best Buy and I can take advantage of the finance options there

I wonder how gaming on this thing would be like. I am seriously considering ditching my ipad 4 for this baby and side loading a mac os for music programs, and using metro for tablet stuff and the x86 aspect for gaming. Is this all possible or am I a big dreamer?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I wonder how gaming on this thing would be like. I am seriously considering ditching my ipad 4 for this baby and side loading a mac os for music programs, and using metro for tablet stuff and the x86 aspect for gaming. Is this all possible or am I a big dreamer?
its a traditional pc so of course you can do that.

The Surface Pro is nothing more than an Ultrabook without the keyboard and a touch screen. Gaming is possible, but it has only an integrated Intel GPU, so don't expect high performance at 1080p.

Then again, this video of the Acer W700, which has similar hardware, impresses me every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCJ5-GRPF0s

The Surface Pro is nothing more than an Ultrabook without the keyboard and a touch screen. Gaming is possible, but it has only an integrated Intel GPU, so don't expect high performance at 1080p.

Then again, this video of the Acer W700, which has similar hardware, impresses me every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCJ5-GRPF0s

Holy shit, is he running wii,ps2 emulator flawlessly on an integrated intel???

Is the pro gonna do that???? Omg

Id be fine with gaming at 720p 30fps with most games on medium/low settings. If that is possible consider me sold completely.

30-ish FPS at 720 is certainly possible in some games. Check out the benchmarks on Anandtech and keep an eye on the Intel IVB prototype results.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6194/asus-ux31a-putting-the-ultra-in-ultrabooks/6

That's pretty much what you can expect from the Surface Pro.

The gaming I want to do on this is games from GOG.com. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine doing this, right?

Apparently there are compatibility problems with some games from GoG, but they're working on official Windows 8 support.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
30-ish FPS at 720 is certainly possible in some games. Check out the benchmarks on Anandtech and keep an eye on the Intel IVB prototype results.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6194/asus-ux31a-putting-the-ultra-in-ultrabooks/6

That's pretty much what you can expect from the Surface Pro.

Apparently there are compatibility problems with some games from GoG, but they're working on official Windows 8 support.
Pfft that link doesn't have enough bar graphs.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000-Benchmarked.73567.0.html ( benchmarks)

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I didn't pick the Notebook Check review, because their system has a quad-core i7, which is a completely different beast. The Intel prototype in the Anandtech benchmarks has a i5, which is similar to the Surface Pro/W700 CPU.
My bad. I thought pro had a 7. Kinda makes me want it less....just a little though.

Top Bottom