• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Epic Drop

The Surface Pro is a pretty perfect device for me, and honestly is what I have been waiting for in getting a "Tablet" for myself. I would LOVE to pick one up on release date.

But, it seems like it is launching at a bad time. With Haswell right around the corner, and the fact that Microsoft has already hinted to a Surface Pro 2 (plus, you know other device makers will make similar form factor devices this year), I think I may end up waiting for the next iteration or a more powerful device made from a different manufacturer later in the year.

It's such an expensive device, I'd at least like it to be somewhat powerful for a few years - but it looks like it's going to be outclassed pretty sharply by devices launching this year.

Pooya

I had problem emulating GoW on my desktop gtx 460 a few years ago, the game just doesn't work that well in pcsx2. I imagine jrpgs should run fine.

what is he using for those on screen key controls btw?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The Surface Pro is a pretty perfect device for me, and honestly is what I have been waiting for in getting a "Tablet" for myself. I would LOVE to pick one up on release date.

But, it seems like it is launching at a bad time. With Haswell right around the corner, and the fact that Microsoft has already hinted to a Surface Pro 2 (plus, you know other device makers will make similar form factor devices this year), I think I may end up waiting for the next iteration or a more powerful device made from a different manufacturer later in the year.

It's such an expensive device, I'd at least like it to be somewhat powerful for a few years - but it looks like it's going to be outclassed pretty sharply by devices launching this year.

This really is the last thing holding me back on release day. It will be a only a few months before it gets outclassed.

We seem to be in a world where breakthroughs and updates happen so rapidly that before an time an item is even released there's always the caveat that 'a better one is right around the corner.'

I've learned to just ignore this and go with what makes me happy.

Can't wait to pick one up later this month.

Alx

We seem to be in a world where breakthroughs and updates happen so rapidly that before an time an item is even released there's always the caveat that 'a better one is right around the corner.'

Yes it's a common "problem" when building a PC, it's never the right time to buy because the next best thing is just around the corner... It seems that the same thing will happen on tablets, but I wonder how the market will react. When "tablet" meant "iPad" it was easy to decide if the current model is the one you want, but with a continuous stream of different models you have a harder decision to make.

While that's usually true, the Surface is still a first generation product, which is another valid reason not to jump in immediately.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
hmmm just as I hoped then, I just wonder if I put lion os on it whether or not I will still be able to use the touch screen and use my finger as a mouse. Too early to say I suppose...

There are tablet drivers that definitely work on some touch screen laptops, including my thinkpad, so I imagine it will work, or someone will do a workaround quickly enough.

iFootball

While that's usually true, the Surface is still a first generation product, which is another valid reason not to jump in immediately.

But, for which you're getting a 1-yr warranty... so if it really sucks you can always adhere to that right?...

I'm hoping that, as many of the recent hands-on previews mention, that MS has learned from the Surface RT, and the Pro basically improves over it... not like a second generation maybe, but at least even a 1.2 generation.

Now, I haven't followed this closely, but.... how is the defect rate with the Surface RT?... ( I know, it's a different architecture, but in the end we're judging MS capabilities building devices like this)

dLMN8R

The whitelist is there to ensure that the allowed sites play nicely with touch for the most part, don't completely wreck your battery life, or do other nerfarious things that undermine the main strengths of RT.

ksdixon

So I have no idea of the processor or graphics card inside the Surface Pro, or any other important specs, in terms of being able to play games on it. How does it compare with the below specs of my May 2010 desktop PC. I'd be interested in Surface Pro even if it was equal in gaming ability, just for the portability factor.

- Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit (later upgraded to Win8 Pro)
- AMD Phenom II X4 820 Quad Core Processor 2.8Ghz, 6M Total Cache
- ATI Radeon HD5670 Direct X11 Graphics Card with 1024MB memory and D-Sub VGA, DVI-I and HDMI interface (HDCP support)
- 4G DDR3 SDRAM memory

kehs

Banned
The whitelist is there to ensure that the allowed sites play nicely with touch for the most part, don't completely wreck your battery life, or do other nerfarious things that undermine the main strengths of RT.

Is there some sort of API or standards for compatibility?

Side note: "strengths of RT" lol

Feep

Banned
So I have no idea of the processor or graphics card inside the Surface Pro, or any other important specs, in terms of being able to play games on it. How does it compare with the below specs of my May 2010 desktop PC. I'd be interested in Surface Pro even if it was equal in gaming ability, just for the portability factor.

- Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit (later upgraded to Win8 Pro)
- AMD Phenom II X4 820 Quad Core Processor 2.8Ghz, 6M Total Cache
- ATI Radeon HD5670 Direct X11 Graphics Card with 1024MB memory and D-Sub VGA, DVI-I and HDMI interface (HDCP support)
- 4G DDR3 SDRAM memory
Yours looks to be stronger. Look up benchmarks for Intel HD4000 integrated graphics (or just look on the last page or so).

ksdixon

Yours looks to be stronger. Look up benchmarks for Intel HD4000 integrated graphics (or just look on the last page or so).

Thanks Feep. Not sure I understand, but if I read it correctly, this page ( http://www.anandtech.com/show/5771/the-intel-ivy-bridge-core-i7-3770k-review/18 ) doesn't paint a pretty picture for the Surface Pro being able to run Civilization V, one of my favorite time sinks. Not that my 2010 desktop pc plays it flawlessly, but I'd at least like to take that amount of computer power around portability rather than being chained to the desktop night and day. :(

ttony678

Neo Member
I know everyone's talking about the Pro lately, but do any of you think MS will fully optimize the RT with the Tegra 3 chip? Or get the fifth core to work?

ksdixon

on touchscreens swiping upwards to read further down the page feels natural. on a mouse wheel scrolling that down to read further down the page is natural. is there a way to have these two behaviors seperate on the surface?

f0lken

And for the rest of the world?

Change your location settings on Control Panel, download it and then change your location again to the original, that has worked for me to download other region's apps. You can also check the settings charm within the store and then go to preferences

ksdixon

If I were to get a WinRT Surface, would I be able to view downloaded .flv files at all?

Currently I watch them through Media Player Classic using K-Lite Media Codec Pack (ffdshow filters at least), but on RT I wouldn't be able to install MPC or the KLMC Pack, right?

Pooya

If I were to get a WinRT Surface, would I be able to view downloaded .flv files at all?

Currently I watch them through Media Player Classic using K-Lite Media Codec Pack (ffdshow filters at least), but on RT I wouldn't be able to install MPC or the KLMC Pack, right?

there are some free media players on the store right now that can play flvs and mkvs even, made for modern UI. try PressPlay Video.

yeah, you can't install those because they are for x86, VLC player for ARM is in development, that should play everything too.

Conor 419

Banned
Does the Yoga 13 come with a pen?

I'm still pretty keen on Surface Pro, but chums have pointed out the screen size might make it difficult to work on.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

I'm still pretty keen on Surface Pro, but chums have pointed out the screen size might make it difficult to work on.

Don't think it does. Also..the Yoga is a laptop. Laptops are so 2011. Pro is the way to go. Too bad MS doesn't want us to buy the thing.

I'm an expert

I'm not even a day one kind of guy but in this case I seriously want to throw $1k at these fuckers and they're like nah keep it. Shit I'd pay a few extra bucks if they made type covers in different colors too. I should go try the touch cover though.

Homeboyd

It does not.

I'm in the exact same spot as you. I'm looking at the 13 for work purposes but I use another laptop for that most of the time anyways. So I'm thinking I'm going to go with an 11" screen which will open up my options significantly. I can still work on a pro or 11s, etc... Which is a plus, but I won't be limited to using it for work because of my laptop/desktop. I just hate that I can't do shit on my iPad and want something more business-friendly. These convertibles are all nice though... I'm thinking that helix is probably the top of the line but god damn it's expensive. 11.6" too.

Once I decided I wouldn't solely use it for work, it made my decision a little easier and the Spro seem a lot more suitable to my needs. Think I may go with it and the type cover.

I'm an expert

It looks so boring with the black type cover though. =(

I wanna be one of those cool people in the commercials throwin my magenta cover around.

I'm an expert

Is that the only color for the pro? Or is that all that's offered for type covers...

Yeah the type cover, as of now, only comes in black. The multi colors are the touch cover. I'll give each a shot and see what I think.

I'm an expert

That was my assessment as well but I've been to lazy to actually check out a Best Buy and give it a feel. I have a feelin I know what it's like. But seriously. I want white..or blue..or red..

edit: actually, reading Anand's review it really isn't that bad. Mainly the trackpad, but who uses trackpads in 2012 >.>
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6385/microsoft-surface-review/3

zorbsie

I also tried both the touch and the type cover. I'm sure with time the touch cover would be fine, but I'm going for the type cover. Keys just feel right for me. I'm not one for touch pads either so I'll probably get a wireless mouse when I pick up my pro.

Although with the pen do I even need a mouse?

I'm an expert

With the touchscreen, pen, and slightly functional pad I don't really see the need for a mouse unless you need precision for editting or just gaming.

Dead

well not really...yet
Has there been word on whether the Pro will be sold exclusively at Microsoft Stores at first like with RT, or will it be available right away at other retailers?

iFootball

... So... January 15th and still no announcement or details of the Pro's release?

Also, I haven't seen any adds for the Pro specifically... are they hoping the current Surface ads are enough to capture a good starting market for the Pro?.... could they have delayed the release a bit to address manufacturing issues from what they have learned in the past ~2 months?

zorbsie

Is there seriously no news on the release date for Surface Pro? The "rumored" date is the 26th, that's 11 days away and we haven't heard anything from Microsoft. This seems really crazy. They do want to sell this thing, right? I won't even get started on the lack of information for international release dates. Are they not promoting it to keep the OEMs happy?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
What more do you want to know? We know the starting price, we know the specs and we know that it will release at the end of the month. The only thing they haven't done is make it available for preorder.

I'm an expert

What more do you want to know? We know the starting price, we know the specs and we know that it will release at the end of the month. The only thing they haven't done is make it available for preorder.

I want to know exactly when I can buy the fuckin thing. I want to mark it on my calendar. I want to post it on facebook. I want to camp out.

zorbsie

We don't know it will be released at the end of the month. That's the thing. The official site says it will be released early 2013. I see that as being the first 3 months of 2013. That's why I said the rumored release date was the 26th. I also would love to know when it will be released in Canada. The only info on the official Canadian Surface site is "Coming Soon". When you are selling a $1000 piece of tech, you might want to keep consumers informed.

Edit: Also exactly what Worldrevolution said. I want this thing so bad.

We don't know it will be released at the end of the month. That's the thing. The official site says it will be released early 2013. I see that as being the first 3 months of 2013. That's why I said the rumored release date was the 26th. I also would love to know when it will be released in Canada. The only info on the official Canadian Surface site is "Coming Soon". When you are selling a $1000 piece of tech, you might want to keep consumers informed.

Edit: Also exactly what Worldrevolution said. I want this thing so bad.
They said 90 days after the RT launch.

maeh2k

They've already said it would be released around 90 days after the RT even before the RT was released. So it's going to happen around January 24 (the 26th according to rumors). The RT preorder page and information went up pretty close to the release date, too.

They've already said it would be released around 90 days after the RT even before the RT was released. So it's going to happen around January 24 (the 26th according to rumors). The RT preorder page and information went up pretty close to the release date, too.
We even have a price before launch, which wasn't the case with the RT.

I know my workplace already has a quote for a purchase request ready to get sent in, that they got from the Microsoft store. We'll have a release day any day now.

Top Bottom