• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

zorbsie

I'll head to the Microsoft store after work and see if anyone there can give me a solid date. I would imagine they would be able to tell me a date.

Conor 419

Banned
I bloody hope it makes it to the UK by the end of the month, it's classic Microsoft holding back on a release date till two bloody weeks from its estimated arrival.

Also, does anyone have a realistic projection for its UK price?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
That's the official line. What else do you want? I don't get mad, because I can't pre-order the iPad Mini 2013 yet either.

It's more about the perception of this product release. It makes it seem like MS doesn't really give a shit about the thing. Obviously as a first gen adopter I want to know MS is really behind it and that it will be their flagship model for at least a year.

In simpler terms, I WANT HYPE.

iFootball

First Microsoft Surface Pro tablets come off the production line
ZDNet said:
Microsoft's full-blown PC-tablet, the Surface Pro, should be available very soon after the first run came off the production line on Tuesday.

"On my way to the factory to check out Surface Pro coming off the line... arriving in the coming weeks," Panos Panay, Microsoft's general manager of Surface products announced via Twitter on Tuesday.

As a result, Microsoft looks set to make the expected January timeline set for Pro's release. The comany has said it was aiming to have the Surface Pro available within 90 days of the Surface RT's October 26 release...

JaggedSac

Is there such a thing as a light Photoshop alternative for Surface/RT?

What kind of stuff do you need being done? There are a couple that can do some basic stuff like filters, cropping, and editing some basic things like brightness, contrast.

Fhotoroom is one such, haven't messed with it though, just saw it on there.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What kind of stuff do you need being done? There are a couple that can do some basic stuff like filters, cropping, and editing some basic things like brightness, contrast.

Fhotoroom is one such, haven't messed with it though, just saw it on there.

Crop, clone, cut, paste, rotate, lasso and text manipulation. Think high quality meme generation tools, or photo caption mockery.

Alx

I have an annoying problem I already faced last week : while doing a presentation (second monitor connected to the video output), I'm trying to display a Google Doc worksheet with IE, and I get a message saying that the resolution is too high to be displayed, and the app will exit. The thing is, after toying with desktop display modes (Win+P : duplicated/extended) and relaunching IE, it can display the required page just fine, either on the tablet or the screen.

I don't know why I'm getting the first error, or if there is a way to avoid it ?

so gaming GAF think itza XBUX720 announcement

but I think its Surface Pro will finally be announced for sale

Event Details:
DATE: Thursday, January 24, 2013
LOCATION: Microsoft Technology Center, Microsoft Mountain View Campus, 1065 La Avenida, Building 1, Mountain View CA 94043
TIME: 5:30pm - 8:30pm
5:30pm - Registration
6:15pm - 8:15pm - Presentations, networking, product demo'ing
8:30pm - Event concludes

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

Event Details:
LOCATION: Microsoft Technology Center, Microsoft Mountain View Campus, 1065 La Avenida, Building 1, Mountain View CA 94043
https://msevents.microsoft.com/cui/EventDetail.aspx?EventID=1032540902&culture=en-US

Edit: oh I see. The invite seems to spell it all out. Gaf is going to be disappointed as always. https://msftopenhousesvc.eventbrite.com/#

ah bollocks.
I guess its too much for a Surface Pro sale announcement to be an event.

I guess I'll just wait for engadget or Verge to break it. like the specs for Surface Pro was :(

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
You guys are gettin a lil desperate..I'd def drop $1500 on the thing if I could pick it up right now though.

JaggedSac

Event Details:

Alex Kipman talk should be cool.

I am not a pc gamer, but before i realized how poor my laptop was relative to my expectations, i did buy a few games for it, including the witcher 1 and Stalker.

I really really want to play through stalker.

Would the Intel HD4000 in the surface pro be able to blaze through these old games?

Skytylz

Banned
I am not a pc gamer, but before i realized how poor my laptop was relative to my expectations, i did buy a few games for it, including the witcher 1 and Stalker.

I really really want to play through stalker.

Would the Intel HD4000 in the surface pro be able to blaze through these old games?

It isn't going to blaze through them, but you probably can play them on low settings at 1080p and mediumish at 720p. Here's a benchmark of the HD4000 and it should have comparable performance in the surface pro.

I'm an expert

Went to a Bestbuy to finally try out the touch cover and there..was no Surface display. There were plenty of tablets, Apple shit, but nothing related to the Surface. Then I found it, a few pink touch covers hangin in a corner with a Surface banner underneath them and a machine.. the machine? Some Asus laptop. Fuuuuuuckkkk..

eastmen

Banned
Feel like the Surface Pro will require Haswell in order to be fully appreciated by gamers.

Except the ulv haswell wont exist in retail until the second half of this year. Not to mention that its the same process as ivy bridge so even with the redesign of the gpu and steps to make it all more energy efficient its still not going to make today's games more playable. Then you have to factor in that newer games from this year will face the same problems as 2012 games on ivy bridge.

Broadwell will combine a micron drop along with improvements to the cpu and gpu.

Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 Pro Preview

With Microsoft expected to launch its second Surface tablet in the coming days, it’s time to start thinking about how or if this device changes things. Stung a bit by limitations in Surface RT, I’m nonetheless still quite excited about Surface with Windows 8 Pro. And if this machine lives up to its advanced billing, it could fulfill Microsoft’s promise to change the PC market for good.

Microsoft first previewed Surface Pro, as I’ll now call it, back in June 2012. Earlier this month, it provided bloggers with a few minutes of hands-on time at CES, but since I declined to attend the show, I will need to wait a bit for my own hands-on experience. Fortunately, I have a few insider secrets about Surface Pro you won’t read anywhere else.

Here’s what’s happening.

hwalker84

Anyone know with the touch screen controls and IE 10 and how to mouse over a MENU? Plenty of websites with drop down menus that are impossible to click in IE10.

KamenSenshi

Was having that issue but after rebooting a couple times over a few days it finally let me update. Not sure what the issue was, it would just spin for a bit and then say it couldn't connect to the store.

Pooya

Feb 9, not bad...

new touch covers

7115.Surface_5F00_095_5F00_thumb_5F00_119EA2A7.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Boo I was going to get one for my girlfriend for her birthday at the end of the month. Stupid Microsoft. Oh well, at least it's going to be available in Canada.

zorbsie

Oh well, at least it's going to be available in Canada.

This. I was seriously considering going down to Buffalo on release day to pick one up if it wasn't available in Canada on the same day. Pumped to pick this up. I wonder when pre orders start.

Surface Windows 8 Pro will be available in the U.S. and Canada starting on Feb. 9 through all Microsoft retail stores, microsoftstore.com and at Staples and Best Buy in the U.S. as well as from a number of locations in Canada.

Feb. 09 is close enough.

Top Bottom