• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Xian

Neo Member
No European release date? Classic incompetent Microsoft, for fuck sake I knew this would happen.

Such a shame Lenovo is just as incompetent.
I'd buy a Thinkpad Tablet 2 right now if MS seriously delays the Surface Pro in Europe.

Pen&Paper for another semester then, I guess. :(

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Nice overview video:

It looks so much thicker in that video than I was hoping :( I love the weight/size of the RT; shame they couldn't stay closer to those dimensions.

FStop7

Banned
Please be good.

Please be good.

Please be good.

If it delivers then this is my dream device.

Just woke up. Can't scan through thread. If I can preorder this thing, someone get me a link! Go go go go!

Edit: Darn, no preorder link. Oh well. Feb. 9th is just in time for my birthday = D

I am going to try to pick one up on launch day at the MSFT store in Century City. SurfaceGAF meetup?

dLMN8R

Same thing as the RT, no idea why they call it "Surface with Windows RT". Even Panos just says "Surface RT" and "Surface Pro". Ugh.

MCD

The Wedge Touch Mouse Surface Edition is specifically designed to complement the Surface experience in all its forms, providing four-way Touch scrolling and easy navigation at one’s fingertips. It also has a similar finish to Surface’s VaporMg casing, the combination of material selection and manufacturing process that is used to create Surface. The Wedge Touch Mouse Surface Edition will be available on Feb. 9 for estimated retail price of $69.95 in all markets in which Surface Windows RT is currently sold.

Oh god, Stinkles gonna be pissed lol.

eastmen

Banned
For any discover card users you can use shop discover and get 5% off microsoft store purchases. I know its not muxh but $50 is $50

Feep

Banned
Please be good.

Please be good.

Please be good.

If it delivers then this is my dream device.

I am going to try to pick one up on launch day at the MSFT store in Century City. SurfaceGAF meetup?
Possibly, assuming I can't just preorder the damn thing. I WANT IT. *buys tent*

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Feb 9th?? wtf. I was thinking it would be next week, so I could have it before I went to Vegas... now I need to make sure I dont blow too much money out there or I am going to think of all the Surfaces with Windows 8 Pros I could have purchased...

Shit.

FStop7

Banned
Has it been disclosed how much system RAM the Surface Pro has?

nvm - 4 gigs, I see. That should be plenty for Lightroom.

The verge will say what they will. It will be a cold day in ell before the verge rates a microsift product higher than an apple product.

Many here have already mocked the reviews from the blog sites and are most likely right on the money for the "reviews" that will come

The previews seem glowing after skimming through 4. It seems like they hold RT and the Atom chips to a different standard than the other tablets that are out. Rather than the Surface Pro being that good. To me what critics want is already available, but the surface pro has a more elegant design. I would criticize the pro based off of maybe a need for a different form factor or more power on the go, but I bet reviewers mostly talk about battery life and some of the touch friendly issues windows 8 has with desktop mode being there.

Nero3000

The previews seem glowing after skimming through 4. It seems like they hold RT and the Atom chips to a different standard than the other tablets that are out. Rather than the Surface Pro being that good. To me what critics want is already available, but the surface pro has a more elegant design. I would criticize the pro based off of maybe a need for a different form factor or more power on the go, but I bet reviewers mostly talk about battery life and some of the touch friendly issues windows 8 has with desktop mode being there.

Lack of metro apps
Desktop apps are not touch friendly
Desktop apps drain battery too much
Too heavy to be a tablet
Steve said a stylus is wrong

Etc.

iFootball

At $1,018*, The Surface Pro Is Priced Just Right
TechCrunch said:
Microsoft built the Surface Pro for a different market. It’s not a base model. This is a serious machine aimed at the prosumer or enthusiast. This is the model that you buy if you want to get work done. With a price around a grand, it’s competing against similar Windows ultrabooks or monster desktop replacement notebooks
The Surface Pro is a polarizing product. And that’s exactly what it should be. As Fast Company previously explained, your brand should piss someone off and I’ve never seen a PC that pisses people off like the Surface Pro.

I somewhat agree... if you can afford and buy the $999 Macbook Air, why shouldn't I buy the Surface Pro?.... and, why are you so angry about this? =P

Nero3000

At $1,018*, The Surface Pro Is Priced Just Right

I somewhat agree... if you can afford and buy the $999 Macbook Air, why shouldn't I buy the Surface Pro?.... and, why are you so angry about this? =P

The world tech journalists live in:

Techcrunch said:
The $999 11-inch MacBook Air is Apple’s low-end device. Like the Surface RT, it offers just enough power to get by and nothing more. I wouldn’t recommend the base Air model for anyone that wants to venture outside of iPhoto or the web browser. It’s not a work machine; the $999 MacBook Air is a Facebook machine.

I think a $349 iPad mini is an equally capable facebook machine.

eastmen

Banned
because da macbook air is so overpriced!!11!
If you eant a tablet and a laptop then yes.

Mac air $999.99

Sub 1080p screen
64 gig storage
No touch screen
No Stylus
No detachable keyboard

Youd need to add an ipad at lewst to match the surfaces features and then it be a mixed bag.

Youd get a higher res screen on one of your two devices , batyery life would be much better instead of on par. You would however add alot of weight compared to the surface and then not be able to ise apps across the devices. Your going to need diffrent chargers. Oh and still no active digitizer for the stylus.

The surface off3rs something no apple product is able to at the moment.

I will be able to drop my 4 device load to 3. Down from tablet laptop phone nook. Im just going surface nook phone .

kazinova

Six more days until we get a relatively high profile game for the Surface. Skulls on the Shogun, will cost $9.99 at launch. So get some bucks ready.

mm04

Lync finally works on the Surface, for those who gave up on it ever working. On a conference call with desktop sharing while still in bed now. Glorious.

mm04

Lol. I forgot about that. What was the cause?

No idea. I have to get up for a 5:30am local meeting every morning and I was like, let me download and install Lync again, see if it's working. Now it works. The interface looks like dog crap, though. But whatever, saves me from having to fire up my work issued laptop which takes 5 minutes to boot up because of all the damn policies attached to it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So what happened to that 3 hour MS conference/press thing that was supposed to be today?

I don't see it on any tech blogs either..

Pooya

“We’re working closely with chip partners and OEMs to bring the right mix of devices,” Microsoft’s chief financial officer Peter Klein said today on the company’s earnings call, adding that Microsoft is looking to “expand the product line-up,” and provide “a greater variety of devices at a bigger variety of price points.”

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/24/microsoft-cheaper-surface-tablets-coming/#AiH7GYsauGMLXU1Y.99

I hope that means we will get '2' with haswell and atom this year.
throw in a tegra4 one for kicks too.

Atom based Surface for $500 would be pretty cool.

For those who already have ivy bridge tablets: What does the lock screen button does? I reckon in arm and atom tablets that would make the tablet go to connected sleep mode, but since ivy bridge still don't have it does it sleep or it just switches the screen of?

If it sleeps, what happens when you are playing a music and hit the button?

jagowar

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/24/microsoft-cheaper-surface-tablets-coming/#AiH7GYsauGMLXU1Y.99

If they put out a tegra4 surface RT 2 with the 1080p screen, pen input, double the ram to 4 gigs and throw in lte it would be the perfect device for me..... unless that rumored xbox surface happens and that may change my mind completely.

eastmen

Banned

Haswell ulv wont start shipping till the end of Q3 so we might get it in time for the holidays.

A Surface with atom would be a great addition to the line up. Tegra 4 would be good too. I'd like to see

Surface RT - Tegra 3 price drop in the sprint $350 for the 32 gig would be a good price
Surface Pro switch over to haswell in late fall with a 256 gig option
Surface Atom $600 bucks
Surface RT - Tegra 4 $500 with only a 64 and 128(maybe 96gig) verisons late summer release

The atom verison can come at any time as the newer atom wouldn't hit till late in the year early next year. Use the same design as the pro just reduce the battery size.

So my heart is pretty much set on this.

I do have a couple of PC more than Surface questions however, that may or may not seal my purchase.

I plan to get CS6 in the near future. Is that a CPU intensive program more than GPU, so that the i5 in the surface will have no problem with it?

I have my Office 2007 disc that i would like to put on this in lieu of having to buy a new office again. Is there a way to download the program and put in my serial code to run it?

Top Bottom