• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

iFootball

My thoughts on the Pro have not changed junior, I still think it is a half-baked tablet that will fail and RT will be developed further until last resemblance to traditional Windows OS is purged.

Woah, dude... chill... we get it, you disagree with the product, you have consistently bashed any argument in its favor with your own opinion or perspective about the qualifications about such a product, clearly showing why the rest of us are wrong about our personal choices; your point is clear, you dislike it and we should too.

... but begin an ass and pointing out Junior status?... what is this, High School??... honestly, you're not bringing constructive discussion to this thread

zorbsie

So much vile hate in here. My new device boner is not effected by it though. Can't wait to pick up my pro tomorrow. Installing Adobe CS6, steam and a bunch of GOG games. So hyped for this thing. Even this snow storm won't stop me from showing up early at the MS store.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
So much vile hate in here. My new device boner is not effected by it though. Can't wait to pick up my pro tomorrow. Installing Adobe CS6, steam and a bunch of GOG games. So hyped for this thing. Even this snow storm won't stop me from showing up early at the MS store.

Please post impressions ASAP. I am buying one when my MTurk money gets approved end of next month probably.

Okay, so I need some feedback here. I have 4 computers that are running the trial version of Office 2013. Now that it's being released, I see that I can get it on a subscription basis for $99 per year and that lets me install it on 5 computers. Do you guys see that as being worth it? I could alternatively revert back to Office 2007, though I've gotten used to the new functionality and look of Office 2013.

What do you guys think? Worth it for 4 PCs?

Okay, so I need some feedback here. I have 4 computers that are running the trial version of Office 2013. Now that it's being released, I see that I can get it on a subscription basis for $99 per year and that lets me install it on 5 computers. Do you guys see that as being worth it? I could alternatively revert back to Office 2007, though I've gotten used to the new functionality and look of Office 2013.

What do you guys think? Worth it for 4 PCs?

I think so, yes. You also get 20gb of Skydrive space (for one account? I'm not sure) with it.

iFootball

Hahaha I'm also planning to shovel my way out to go pick it up ASAP... Hype++

Edit: which reminds me I still haven't received my confirmation email from BestBuy, ugh

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Same here, I just hope I don't have to shovel too much snow... >>;

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I finally played with one of these today. I wish it were a bit cheaper so I could justify one. I loathe the touch cover, so I'd need the type cover. If the prices come down or a buying opportunity comes up to get it cheaper, I might bite.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hope I wake up with an email from best buys telling me they are holding mine, if not ill be there at 10am

Alx

Just spent a day of work away from the Office for a meeting some distance away... spent two hours in the train on my RT working on Excel and Powerpoint, then a couple hours of meeting taking notes, then two hours back browsing the web and playing games... all of that without coming close to a power source. Now I'm back home and browsing NeoGaf and the battery is still at 25% or something, which should be enough for the evening.
I really love that battery life. I'm not so sure I could switch to the pro and leave my RT. :(

Alx

Any recommended games for the RT? Essential apps?

I don't have many games on RT, but I love PuzzleTouch prime (jigsaw puzzles, I can spend hours on them...)
The Gunstringer is nicely done too, but it's an obvious trap for additional paid content (the game is very hard, makes you earn few coins that should be used to buy items and bonus lives... but you can buy ingame credits with real money)

The only really useful apps that come to my mind : the metro version of remote desktop and trackpad settings.

DagsJT

I don't have many games on RT, but I love PuzzleTouch prime (jigsaw puzzles, I can spend hours on them...)
The Gunstringer is nicely done too, but it's an obvious trap for additional paid content (the game is very hard, makes you earn few coins that should be used to buy items and bonus lives... but you can buy ingame credits with real money)

The only really useful apps that come to my mind : the metro version of remote desktop and trackpad settings.

Cheers!

Any recommended games for the RT? Essential apps?

Pac Man CE DX is one of the best games I've played on any systems and is available. HOWEVER, the touch screen controls they went with kind of blow (the ones on windows phone were awesome). you can play with a controller just like on 360 though, and that's good.

Pinball FX is good too.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Got a bunch of those mini display port to hdmi adapters left over from m MacBook Air, hope they work.

ARGH! I can't decide!

So maybe you guys can help me with. What would you do if you were me:

> Budget: $1400-$1500
> Currently own: A crappy work laptop and a desktop - no tablets in the house right now

> Ways I would like to use my new device or devices:
-- Speaking engagements - Having my notes or talking points in front of me instead of papers
-- Watching XBMC / Netflix in my lap
-- Browsing while on the couch (WotC)
-- Emails (WotC)
-- Showing my wife YT videos
-- Decent Laptop for when I travel home and need a decent computer to use photoshop on
-- Displaying PPT slideshows on a projector or external display
-- Doing work in coffee shops (a good amount of writing)
-- Connect to the rest of my Windows computers

> I'm open to:
-- Hybrid Device: Surface Pro, Surface RT, or others
-- Ultrabook and a tablet (any tablet, including iPad Mini)

> I'm not open to:
-- Any Apple laptop

> Other prerequisites:
-- I want to be able to buy it tomorrow (I have a Pro reserved, but I'm having second thoughts)

> My worries about the Surface Pro:
-- That the screen will be too small for "desktop" apps
-- That it won't lay on my lap well (for some reason when I've used my friend's iPad, it doesn't lay there nicely).

Can anyone help me narrow this down?? :-(

YOU could shape my future!

ARGH! I can't decide!

> Currently own: A crappy work laptop and a desktop - no tablets in the house right now

-- Speaking engagements - Having my notes or talking points in front of me instead of papers
-- Emails (WotC)
-- Decent Laptop for when I travel home and need a decent computer to use photoshop on

> I'm open to:

> I'm not open to:
-- Any Apple laptop

> Other prerequisites:
-- I want to be able to buy it tomorrow (I have a Pro reserved, but I'm having second thoughts)

-- That it won't lay on my lap well (for some reason when I've used my friend's iPad, it doesn't lay there nicely).

m0dus

Banned
ARGH! I can't decide!

-- Emails (WotC)

> I'm open to:

> I'm not open to:
-- Any Apple laptop

> Other prerequisites:

Honestly, you can get away with most of this on an iPad (id recommend the mini)You can find them cheaper, they have excellent battery life, resale value, tons of apps, and accessories. A nexus tablet would also probably fit the bill, though I have no personal experience with them.

Surface pro, IMHO, is more ideal for those wanting a stylus experience. From the touch standpoint, the other options available would likely serve you better right now, at a much lower price.

Honestly, you can get away with most of this on an iPad (id recommend the mini)You can find them cheaper, they have excellent battery life, resale value, tons of apps, and accessories. A nexus tablet would also probably fit the bill, though I have no personal experience with them.

Surface pro, IMHO, is more ideal for those wanting a stylus experience. From the touch standpoint, the other options available would likely serve you better right now, at a much lower price.

Hrmm... let me check off the things I can do with an iPad Mini or iPad:

Can Do:
  • Netflix in my lap
  • Browsing while on the couch (WotC)
  • Emails (WotC)
  • Showing my wife YT videos

Can't Do:
  • Watching XBMC in my lap
  • Decent Laptop for when I travel home and need a decent computer to use photoshop on
  • Displaying PPT slideshows on a projector or external display (there are always issues for me when bringing over a PPT onto Apple products
  • Doing work in coffee shops (a good amount of writing)

Not Sure if I Can Do or Not:
  • Speaking engagements - Having my notes or talking points in front of me instead of papers
  • Connect to the rest of my Windows computers

MooMoo

I really hope online orders go up at midnight PST or EST (why can't most things be EST dammit :p).

What's your guys thoughts on screen protecting this thing? Was originally gonna keep it naked but after I decided to go with a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo I'm leaning a little towards getting one now. What's the screen made out of anyways; gorilla glass?

I really hope online orders go up at midnight PST or EST (why can't most things be EST dammit :p).

What's your guys thoughts on screen protecting this thing? Was originally gonna keep it naked but after I decided to go with a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo I'm leaning a little towards getting one now. What's the screen made out of anyways; gorilla glass?

Gorilla Glass 2, I'm still slapping a screen protector on there just in case the type cover wants to leave some marks.

m0dus

Banned
Hrmm... let me check off the things I can do with an iPad Mini or iPad:

Can Do:
  • Netflix in my lap
  • Browsing while on the couch (WotC)
  • Emails (WotC)
  • Showing my wife YT videos

Can't Do:
  • Watching XBMC in my lap
  • Decent Laptop for when I travel home and need a decent computer to use photoshop on
  • Displaying PPT slideshows on a projector or external display (there are always issues for me when bringing over a PPT onto Apple products
  • Doing work in coffee shops (a good amount of writing)

Not Sure if I Can Do or Not:
  • Speaking engagements - Having my notes or talking points in front of me instead of papers
  • Connect to the rest of my Windows computers

The Xbmc mention you made was in the same line as Netflix, so it was assumed interchangeable.
I did miss your mention of photoshop, but you need to clarify--are you drawing, or merely editing and adding filters to photos? If its the latter, there are some pretty decent apps you can use on iPad.

As far as the rest:
Coffee shop work (I assume writing ) takes the addition of a Bluetooth keyboard.
The ppt issue can, at times, be hit or miss, however I believe free apps like onlive which sport full ms office suites will work, and there are plenty of ppt viewers and even office editors to try. (I just use google docs, gave up ppt a while back)

Everything on your "not sure" list is no trouble for an iPad or nexus.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I know it's main purpose isn't to be a gaming system, but any reports as to how the HD4000 in this does with games?

I'd also love to know how it performs. I know you can just watch other HD4000 videos; but I like to make sure everything is good based off the thermal limits, CPU, etc.

If I could get a locked 30fps in TF2 on medium settings/native res, I'd be a happy camper.

MooMoo

Gorilla Glass 2, I'm still slapping a screen protector on there just in case the type cover wants to leave some marks.
Ah cool. I know my Zune HD uses gorilla glass 1.0 and while I used a screen protector for a while, I took it off eventually; still scratchless :D I think I'll slap one on just to be safe though.

dLMN8R

No matter how much optimism I have, I do have reservations about how easy it'll be to use this as my primary work PC. I just worked from home on my Lenovo x220 all day and it would've been tough to do the same thing on an even smaller screen....though the Surface Pro's resolution is higher, and my eyesight is good enough to use it at its native resolution as long as I plug in a mouse....

hrm....

Went to the Best Buy today after caving and deciding to pick up the Zenbook Prime. Stood by it for thirty minutes for thirty minutes throwing my "Come take my money." face and nothing. Every blue shirt I saw told me that it wasn't their department and that they would tell someone from the computers department to come over.

I feel like this was fate telling me to wait for the Surface Pro, and I hope I can pick one up tomorrow. I need to come out of this weekend with some sort of laptop.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Having seen the pro at bestbuy, I'm really turned off by the chunkiness of it and the small screen. I have an RT, but with the money I would spend on the pro I would want a larger screen and a thinner form factor. Hopefully Haswell will deliver along with companies willing to make a larger screen tablet.

iFootball

So, after being told in my local BestBuy that I was the 4th person to reserve a 128GB Surface Pro, I still haven't received my pick-up confirmation email =\

People from other Surface forums have called their BB's/Staples, and in some cases they have been told that they will be only getting 2 Surface's in stock tomorrow, so maybe it really was a very limited release.

I was really hoping to get mine tomorrow =(

TaKeRx

So, after being told in my local BestBuy that I was the 4th person to reserve a 128GB Surface Pro, I still haven't received my pick-up confirmation email =\

People from other Surface forums have called their BB's/Staples, and in some cases they have been told that they will be only getting 2 Surface's in stock tomorrow, so maybe it really was a very limited release.

I was really hoping to get mine tomorrow =(

I know there aren't many around, but you don't have an MS store nearby? I heard that they are getting way more than 2.

trinest

It's up on the Microsoft Store now, so no surprise launch for everywhere else, or preorders it seems. However Microsoft Australia was going on about the LE covers when the Surface Pro date was announced I'm pretty sure, and they are not up on the local site, so maybe there will be a surprise launch just yet.

MooMoo

Aw yeah ordered on MS store :D Gonna be a loooooong week. Hopefully nothing sketchy happens/this thing doesn't get backordered...

JaggedSac

ARGH! I can't decide!

-- Emails (WotC)

> I'm open to:

> I'm not open to:
-- Any Apple laptop

> Other prerequisites:

Dude, go Lenovo Helix all the way.

Nevermind, you said you wanted to buy it tomorrow.

Top Bottom