• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

JaggedSac

Urgh, down to 1.6GB free space on my 32GB RT. Just deleting the recovery partition now but can't believe I've hit this point already with not that many apps installed.

Don't forget about the sd card slot. But if all your space is taken up by apps, that won't help.

EDIT: Oh wow, nm, I just read the post below mine about installing apps to the card. Didn't know it could do it.

Urgh, down to 1.6GB free space on my 32GB RT. Just deleting the recovery partition now but can't believe I've hit this point already with not that many apps installed.

Start over and put the apps on the sd card. Unless the sd is too slow vs internal flash. I don't think you can retroactively put your current apps on there. Search on xda on how to change the permissions. I can't remember the steps.

52. Install Apps Direct to SD Card
By default only media files can be installed to the SD cards and apps are installed to internal memory. If you have a 32gig tablet, you will realise internal memory is precious and limited. Free up internal memory by changing the location of where apps are installed. Run Regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Appx and change the location path of the PackageRoot key from C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps to say D:\WindowsApps (where D: is the drive letter of your SD card and WindowsApps is the name of a folder you created in your SD card). You may need to change permissions on the Appx registry folder so that you can edit the key. You can also change the app repository to another directory by changing the PackageRepository key in a similar manner.

derFeef

How's everyone finding the battery life? I'm a little worried about mine - fully charged, with nothing running, in power saving mode, it estimates about 4.5 hours. In practice, web browsing gets me about 3.5 hours.

I tried running a 720p movie from 100% charge and it only lasted about 3 hours 20 minutes, which doesn't seem to come close to what the reviewers were getting.

I'm wondering if I should call customer support.

Try to give it a few cycles, maybe it balances out a bit. But impressions say battery life seems to be on the low side, yeah.

I'm really hoping to have an ETA on my work Pro soon. I'm told the invoice went through and our MS rep confirmed that they had 4 ready to ship us. It's going to be coming home with me every day, basically.

The RT we have at home still gets loads of use. That battery life is to die for... so I don't know that the Pro will get much use in my house, but we'll see. I have to bring it home with me so I have the flexibility to start my day at any of the sites we service. It's going to be interesting have the two to directly compare. It's going to be interesting to see how it works as a replacement for my work desktop too. It'll beat the hell out of having no PC one day a week, that's for sure.

I'm probably going to sneak Portal and AvP Classic onto it :) just because, you know. Maybe some of my favourite Lucasarts stuff too.

i'm on coldfoots side.

a friend of mine has a surface, such a weird inbetweener.
I get that it has the power as a notebook.. its a notebook? then i would prefer a notebook with an adjustable screen.
only one position with the stand? wat? and there is no way to use it properly in bed on the go.. you need a desk or something flat.

BED.
ifNGmR1bMos5H.jpg

watched walking dead and hands free (not holding tablet) web surfing

DagsJT

Start over and put the apps on the sd card. Unless the sd is too slow vs internal flash. I don't think you can retroactively put your current apps on there. Search on xda on how to change the permissions. I can't remember the steps.

Can't really afford a 64GB card just yet but will get one in a few weeks. I take it Class 10 is the one to go for and not worth getting anything slower?

The RT is a great idea and it works great ... for the most part. Lag is a killer for me. Coming from a pretty good PC and the Nexus 7, I'm just not used to seeing any lag during games and especially in Metro UI/homescreens etc. But there's times when I'm just flicking through Metro UI and it lags, it kinda kills the "wow" appeal sometimes. Makes me a bit more excited for RT 2 when they might use a better CPU and optimise it better. Nexus 7 handles the Tegra 3 chipset fine but the RT really doesn't like it. MS need to use those cores and chipset properly.

iFootball

For those in Twitter now, Panos Panay and team are holding a Twitter char right now (#winchat), and regarding availability he just said this:
Panos Panay said:
@evansturdivant We are shipping more 64gb now to BBY, Staples, MS Store and online. 128gb at BBY and MS Stores by Saturday #winchat

DagsJT

New RT firmware now available.

The February update, which will be available later today, includes improved Surface Wi-Fi reliability, connectivity in various scenarios, and performance improvements:

This release will address several 'Limited' Wi-Fi connections issues.
Contains driver updates improving performance with Windows, Volume and Power buttons

Feep

Banned
I want to use the DropBox app, but its local storage is buried somewhere in esoteric folder-land, which is pretty unacceptable. I need those files to be easily accessible from places other than the app, so screw that.

Thanks, actual desktop Dropbox program! Your app brother sucks.

maeh2k

I want to use the DropBox app, but its local storage is buried somewhere in esoteric folder-land, which is pretty unacceptable. I need those files to be easily accessible from places other than the app, so screw that.

Thanks, actual desktop Dropbox program! Your app brother sucks.

Does the DropBox app really keep local versions of all data on the device? I thought it would be like she SkyDrive applications in that the app is only used for browsing the data in the cloud and provides a file picker and stuff and the desktop application keeps the synchronized local copies.

Feep

Banned
Does the DropBox app really keep local versions of all data on the device? I thought it would be like she SkyDrive applications in that the app is only used for browsing the data in the cloud and provides a file picker and stuff and the desktop application keeps the synchronized local copies.
Well, I guess, but I need local versions of my data so I can access them constantly.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Boy I hope the Surface Pro 2 has more than 4GB of ram. I want to use it as my work machine so much but my laptop here is choking with just 4 when I do graphics work.

I see the pen has a clip, so to those with a lot of hands-on, do the spines of the touch/type covers leave enough clearance to clip it to that and still fold/close properly? The magnet dock seems fine for temporary non-use while using the device, but not so much for bag storage and the like. This was a perfect solution for the first-gen iPad Apple case and styli, I'm hoping this works just as well.

Can't really afford a 64GB card just yet but will get one in a few weeks. I take it Class 10 is the one to go for and not worth getting anything slower?

The RT is a great idea and it works great ... for the most part. Lag is a killer for me. Coming from a pretty good PC and the Nexus 7, I'm just not used to seeing any lag during games and especially in Metro UI/homescreens etc. But there's times when I'm just flicking through Metro UI and it lags, it kinda kills the "wow" appeal sometimes. Makes me a bit more excited for RT 2 when they might use a better CPU and optimise it better. Nexus 7 handles the Tegra 3 chipset fine but the RT really doesn't like it. MS need to use those cores and chipset properly.

Class 10 works fine. I don't get any lag for what I use it for flipping through the UI until about 13-14 apps open. Always smooth sailing. Depends on the game as far as lag too for me. Personally haven't felt so frustrated that I thought of another device except for video on the web.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=8639C9274E06C173!357&authkey=!ABtDRwER56Wo9D4

The lag I notice usually comes from certain apps like amazon, the on screen keyboard popping up, or flash stuff if I have nothing open at all. The start screen seems to be smooth even after the surface locked up for a bit with 22 apps open. After it became responsive the start screen was butter smooth again. The gestures from the bezel like the charms and switching was not smooth.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=8639C9274E06C173!358&authkey=!AL0uRKNDiX6g1f8

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=8639C9274E06C173!359&authkey=!AGOLftmtZ617sg0

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Random question. I know that Photoshop and SAI aren't up to snuff yet on Surface Pro... Has anyone tried openCanvas 4 or 5?

Anyone gotten any source engine games to work on the Pro? I'm trying to run HL2, which the hardware should be able to handle and hl2.exe just crashes.

I figured it out, I was getting hl2.exe crashes untill I opted into the Steam Beta and updated. Now it's fine. Still complains about not having the Intel HD 4000 in it's database, but it runs smoove.

zorbsie

Is it possible to have a photo password on my surface and a alpha numeric password on my desktop using the same account? Typing in a long password even with the onscreen keyboard can be a bit of a pain.

mm04

Is it possible to have a photo password on my surface and a alpha numeric password on my desktop using the same account? Typing in a long password even with the onscreen keyboard can be a bit of a pain.

Yes. I do that exact thing for my 2 machines. You can even have 2 completely different picture passwords if you want.

Fury Sense

Used it in class today, handful of people were in awe. Wasn't really doing anything except firefox + gmail with the pen.

One thing I really like is that you can lay the tablet out flat with the touch keyboard extended and retain the ability to type. So instead of \ _ you can use _ _ which makes it great for when other people at a table want to see what you're doing

Apparently there are no acceptable gchat apps yet? Really would appreciate full messaging support. The messenger app is nice, but FB+MSN only gets you so far.

@Plagiarize - never heard of bluestacks, will try it out!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Used it in class today, handful of people were in awe. Wasn't really doing anything except firefox + gmail with the pen.

One thing I really like is that you can lay the tablet out flat with the touch keyboard extended and retain the ability to type. So instead of \ _ you can use _ _ which makes it great for when other people at a table want to see what you're doing

Apparently there are no acceptable gchat apps yet? Really would appreciate full messaging support. The messenger app is nice, but FB+MSN only gets you so far.

I use the IM+ app. There's a free and paid one that works okay.

Raven77

Anyone know how to get the WACOM stylus to work on the surface pro?

I read a few articles saying any Wacom stylus would work, but mine doesn't.

?

Magnus

I've been seeing this thread in the OT for weeks and for whatever reason, thought it was for the short-lived sci fi show that ran on ABC a few years ago.

I have no idea why.

But I guess that means the name Surface hasn't registered for me in regards to the new product this thread's actually about.

SPDIF

Anyone know how to get the WACOM stylus to work on the surface pro?

I read a few articles saying any Wacom stylus would work, but mine doesn't.

?

Soon be working apparently.

Good news:

https://twitter.com/sbathiche/status/301423449505689600

MS actively working with Wacom, should have a solution soon.

I've been seeing this thread in the OT for weeks and for whatever reason, thought it was for the short-lived sci fi show that ran on ABC a few years ago.

I have no idea why.

But I guess that means the name Surface hasn't registered for me in regards to the new product this thread's actually about.

Yeah funnily enough, you're not the first person who's said that. Never heard of the show personally.

Returners

I use the offical GChat client in Desktop mode. Though it's... REALLY small.

Top Bottom