• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I find high price points appealing for basically everything but games..

Finally got a chance to demo a Surface at BB and OHMAHGAD! Such a sexy and solid-feeling device, and it seemed significantly more compact than I guess I was expecting. There was no pen to demo though, but even so there will be no talking me out of one now.

Anony

it's beginning
the backside of the case is getting scratches
there's also wear in the colour of the texture too on the corners

also, note that the vapormg smells like mold

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Finally got a chance to demo a Surface at BB and OHMAHGAD! Such a sexy and solid-feeling device, and it seemed significantly more compact than I guess I was expecting. There was no pen to demo though, but even so there will be no talking me out of one now.

Its a shame that best buy and staples don't allow you to use the pen because using that at the MS store is what sold me on getting one. The best digitizer I've ever used.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
it's beginning
the backside of the case is getting scratches
there's also wear in the colour of the texture too on the corners

also, note that the vapormg smells like mold

What the hell are you doing to it. I have an RT and never got scratches. Hell, they use it as a skateboard.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
i remember my Surface RT taking a pretty serious hit, when my friend dropped it,a nd nothing happened to it before I took it back to the microsoft store. I agree with this product being very durable.

Its a shame that best buy and staples don't allow you to use the pen because using that at the MS store is what sold me on getting one. The best digitizer I've ever used.

I should also mention my thoughts on the touch cover, because I've been dying to see how it feels. Certainly a step up from an on-screen kb, and I consider it a fine form/function compromise that will be perfect for many, but I think a type cover is a must for me.

It will be interesting to see the kb technologies improve in later generations along-side the obvious stuff like size and battery life.

I work in a big box retail store. This is anecdotal of course but there was a pretty good demand for them on launch. Not only that but it feels like a lot of people ask about the Surface and end up buying it. A good word of mouth I suppose.

I should also mention my thoughts on the touch cover, because I've been dying to see how it feels. Certainly a step up from an on-screen kb, and I consider it a fine form/function compromise that will be perfect for many, but I think a type cover is a must for me.

It will be interesting to see the kb technologies improve in later generations along-side the obvious stuff like size and battery life.

Touch cover is O-K, Id say I type about twice as fast on that as I do via touch. The type cover I am almost full speed with little errors. I also recommend the touch arc mouse. That thing is pure on the go sex. Fuck the wedge.

Anony

What the hell are you doing to it. I have an RT and never got scratches. Hell, they use it as a skateboard.

it's just thin scratches, not visible unless you look on it from an angle

also, a note about the pen/digitizer:
it's impossible to calibrate it to get a 1:1 response
this is because when you calibrate it, you are doing it in one orientation, say landscape
when you use the tablet in portrait mode, the position is off by maybe a millimeter or 2
this is due to the pen orientation + calibrated in different rotation
it is not noticeable center of screen, noticeable in the screen edges

Returners

it's just thin scratches, not visible unless you look on it from an angle

also, a note about the pen/digitizer:
it's impossible to calibrate it to get a 1:1 response
this is because when you calibrate it, you are doing it in one orientation, say landscape
when you use the tablet in portrait mode, the position is off by maybe a millimeter or 2
this is due to the pen orientation + calibrated in different rotation
it is not noticeable center of screen, noticeable in the screen edges

actually, how do you calibrate it?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Where would be the best place to get news regarding updated drivers to get Adobe and other products working properly?

Alec

I picked up one of these yesterday and I'm pretty in love with it.

I immediately erased\formatted all partitions to get the maximum amount of space (it's a 64GB) and re-installed Windows 8...now I'm missing drivers.

Yes, it was stupid of me to not back them up, but I didn't even think about it. There is one "Unknown Device" in Device Manager and Windows Update has no idea what it is. Does anyone have a driver backup from a stock Surface that they might be able to share with me? Googling "Surface Pro Drivers" gets me absolutely nothing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I immediately erased\formatted all partitions to get the maximum amount of space (it's a 64GB) and re-installed Windows 8...now I'm missing drivers.

Yes, it was stupid of me to not back them up, but I didn't even think about it. There is one "Unknown Device" in Device Manager and Windows Update has no idea what it is. Does anyone have a driver backup from a stock Surface that they might be able to share with me? Googling "Surface Pro Drivers" gets me absolutely nothing.

Remember your device could be the screen or the keyboard. But you probably thought of that. Why not do a RESET from the control panel menu and see if it restores the missing stuff?

Alec

Remember your device could be the screen or the keyboard. But you probably thought of that. Why not do a RESET from the control panel menu and see if it restores the missing stuff?

Because the "Reset" function uses the Recovery Partition...which I erased. :(

The camera, microphone, display adapter, speakers, touch screen all work...no clue what the "Unknown Device" could be. Everything seems to be working fine, but it still bugs me. =P

Look for Vendor and Device ID's on Device Manager, from those you can find out which device it is and the drive it needs.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Because the "Reset" function uses the Recovery Partition...which I erased. :(

The camera, microphone, display adapter, speakers, touch screen all work...no clue what the "Unknown Device" could be. Everything seems to be working fine, but it still bugs me. =P

SD card reader?

Hardware Ids:
ACPI\VEN_MSHW&DEV_0006
ACPI\MSHW0006
*MSHW0006

Everything else is either blank or says *null*. Not a single indentifying thing. :(

There isn't one on the Pro.

Yes there is.

It's the small slot on the left side of the unit (same side as the mini displayport output) it's a microSD slot, spring loaded.

Hardware Ids:
ACPI\VEN_MSHW&DEV_0006
ACPI\MSHW0006
*MSHW0006

Everything else is either blank or says *null*. Not a single indentifying thing. :(

There isn't one on the Pro.

Yeah, that's a bogus vendor Id... really weird XD (But it looks like it spells Microsoft Hardware).

There is indeed a micro SDXC card reader on pro, tough, it's probably that :p

KoukiFC

Neo Member
I bought the Sony Duo 11 when I didn't get my Surface. i7 8GB ram 256SSD.

Best Buy just got a Pro 128 for me, and I am thinking about taking back the Sony.

How is 4GB of ram for you Pro owners? This is a desktop replacement for me, and I use Lightroom and Photoshop a lot.
On my Sony my ram usage never got past 3GB while using Lightroom. I only have 400 pics in there right now though.

MooMoo

It arrived today! My five seconds-worth of initial impression: so fucking sexy :p Also not nearly as heavy as people were clamoring it to be. I'll have to actually mess around with it to see if it becomes uncomfortable to hold for extended periods of time though.

MooMoo

This ought to be very easy to address.
It's not so much that I doubt it'll be addressed or that the CS reps will give me a hard time (currently talking with them). It's moreso that I'm pretty much free this weekend and wanted to spend time tinkering around with it. I mean I guess I can still do that but now I can't even go and install everything I wanted to :p
I await the "MS scamming customers out of 64GB" thread!
128GB Surface Pro actually comes with 24GB of storage!

dLMN8R

Why would you install Mac OS on it? Mac OS doesn't support touch in any way. Every touch and drag would be treated like a mouse click and drag.

Sigh
Hate it when ur early users of first machine

Keyboard will not pop out on tablet mode especially on IE METRO

Oh and I can't rotate my screen anymore even when I try to unlock the screen lock because it's grayed out. SWEET

EDIT: the cause of all this. Detaching the Type cover while the machine is asleep even when u restart the tablet. Only way is to attach cover and detach. Stupid

Feep

Banned
I wish I could get rid of the "Frequent" section in Metro IE10. I actually really like the browser! But that's pissing me off.

So, no real surprise here, but the Surface Pro handles AVP Classic without breaking a sweat. I've got the Monkey Island Special Editions downloading to see how they are with touch on the steam versions. For a laugh I'm going to try Alan Wake's American Nightmare too.

So, no real surprise here, but the Surface Pro handles AVP Classic without breaking a sweat. I've got the Monkey Island Special Editions downloading to see how they are with touch on the steam versions. For a laugh I'm going to try Alan Wake's American Nightmare too.

I await your findings on the performance of this game.

There should be a Surface OT for gaming in the gaming side to entice buyers who may be considering getting one for some light to medium gaming on the go.

SPDIF

There should be a Surface OT for gaming in the gaming side to entice buyers who may be considering getting one for some light to medium gaming on the go.

This is about as far as it got. It's funny now seeing the amount of people who seemed to be interested in getting one, but when it came to the actual launch, most of them seem to have completely forgotten about it. (Or just ignored it)

This is probably a dumb question but is the windows button at the bottom of the device supposed to glow when touched?

Nope.

I await your findings on the performance of this game.

I'm updating the drivers atm. It ran okay on low, performance wise, but everything other than the ground was white. Surprisingly still playable, but not ideal at all. I will update in a bit. Its good to get some use out of this wired controller I have. Monkey island wasn't touch friendly. Sam and Max season three was pretty touch friendly from what I played, which wasn't enough to say for sure. Had to play at 1080p to get the cursor to properly line up, with graphics settings on 3.

Edit: Its okay at 720p and very low detail. Playable, but the framerate spends a good deal of time sub 30fps. Dunno that I'd recommend a purchase it the surface is your only option.

Top Bottom