• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Good news:

https://twitter.com/sbathiche/status/301423449505689600

MS actively working with Wacom, should have a solution soon.

this great. things r happening and not pointing fingers.

with this news. finished my first sketch on Pro using sketchbook pro
jbvJcdIY5lVKq3.jpg

usctrojan

Have you Pro buyers noticed the backlight bleed on a completely dark screen?

I'd be 100% impressed with the device if the screen was flawless but the bleed makes it feel kinda 2006ish.

Edit: Secret Boss, that looks awesome.

Well, I guess, but I need local versions of my data so I can access them constantly.

If you are doing what I think you are doing, Team Foundation Server express is free. You can throw it on a box at your house, hook up a public dns (www.noip.com), and access your source and asset files anywhere.

In other news, now that I've had my surface for a few months when I use my windows phone (7.5) I find my self swiping from the edges and annoyed that it doesn't work on the phone. It is very annoying when trying to switch tabs in IE.

Even iFixit gave the Surface Pro the lowest score possible.

PY1uN2g.jpg

• Microsoft Surface Pro Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)
  • The battery is not soldered to the motherboard, so at least no soldering is required to replace it.
  • The SSD is removable — but you risk killing your tablet by trying to open it.
  • There are over 90 screws inside this device. We're proponents of mechanical fasteners, but this number is a tad crazy.
  • The display assembly (comprising of a fused glass and LCD) is extremely difficult to remove / replace.
  • Tons of adhesive hold everything in place, including the display and battery.
  • Unless you perform the opening procedure 100% correctly, chances are you'll shear one of the four cables surrounding the display perimeter.
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+Teardown/12842/1

Conor 419

Banned
Windows 8 rep's were showing off Surface RT and other devices in the student union today. After being thrown out for kicking off and flipping over a stand over the lack of a Surface pro release date, I managed to sneak back in and had a go on the Vaio Duo 11, it's a beautiful device and very viable for Chemistry note taking, I loved the O.S in general but didn't get much time to appreciate it as I got caught and chased by security off campus.

Nero3000

I see the pen has a clip, so to those with a lot of hands-on, do the spines of the touch/type covers leave enough clearance to clip it to that and still fold/close properly? The magnet dock seems fine for temporary non-use while using the device, but not so much for bag storage and the like. This was a perfect solution for the first-gen iPad Apple case and styli, I'm hoping this works just as well.

Yes.

SurfaceProStylus_AZL0596.jpg

I feel stupid for asking this question, but does Surface Pro have tech in the screen to support the pen? In other words, would the pen work on another device? The Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga is one of the best W8 convertibles, I wonder if Surface's pen would work on it :p

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I feel stupid for asking this question, but does Surface Pro have tech in the screen to support the pen? In other words, would the pen work on another device? The Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga is one of the best W8 convertibles, I wonder if Surface's pen would work on it :p

Nope. The tech is mostly in the screen.

Returners

doesn't work for type cover btw.

Also, I have an inherent fear of over using the top right button to put it to sleep. Does the fan still spin? Since I put mine in the sleeve I got from the MS store, I don't think it will be getting much air circulation in there.

I mean in a laptop, sleep mode isn't the most battery conserving option as well. But I'm more worried about the fan switching on sometime while I'm carrying this thing around in my sleeve.

f0lken

Even iFixit gave the Surface Pro the lowest score possible.

PY1uN2g.jpg

• Microsoft Surface Pro Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)
  • The battery is not soldered to the motherboard, so at least no soldering is required to replace it.
  • The SSD is removable — but you risk killing your tablet by trying to open it.
  • There are over 90 screws inside this device. We're proponents of mechanical fasteners, but this number is a tad crazy.
  • The display assembly (comprising of a fused glass and LCD) is extremely difficult to remove / replace.
  • Tons of adhesive hold everything in place, including the display and battery.
  • Unless you perform the opening procedure 100% correctly, chances are you'll shear one of the four cables surrounding the display perimeter.
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+Teardown/12842/1

So theoretically you could put a 256GB SSD on the surface???

Anony

so i noticed there is high battery drain when in sleep/standby mode
i went to bed with 4:30 hours left, and when i woke up 7 hours later, there was 3:15 hour remaining
compared my my normal laptop, going into sleep/standby mode is like, maybe 20 min battery drain

m0dus

Banned
so i noticed there is high battery drain when in sleep/standby mode
i went to bed with 4:30 hours left, and when i woke up 7 hours later, there was 3:15 hour remaining
compared my my normal laptop, going into sleep/standby mode is like, maybe 20 min battery drain

Honestly, the boot time is so quick I'd just shut it down if you're not gonna use it that long

So picked up a 64GB surface pro at best buy today..

They already had a demo unit out there.. (I had been there when they unboxed it) so I was excited to find one.. though I am pretty sure I'll exchange it for the 128GB model when that comes in stock.

I get it home after work and powered it up.. and it has a user... "BestbuyXXX" where XXX is the store number..

So they sold me a demo unit.. but it wasn't the demo unit for their own store..

Figured I may as well put it through its paces while I have it tonight and bring it back to them in the morning.

Somebody screwed up pretty bad for my store to end up with another store's demo unit that isn't even in the same state.. and again by selling it to me.

rykomatsu

Snagged one of the first 128 units that arrived at the MS store today. Pretty certain they ran out...happened to call in to check if any had arrived and the guy helping me put me on hold for about 4-5min. Was kinda irked since it shouldn't take that long imho to check inventory, but he came back and said they had just been dropped off. Rushed to the store to pick it up and they were going through the call list (recognized it since my name was on that list from a few days ago as well as a friend's)...never received a call, assuming because I bought one, but my friend didn't get the call either so I suspect they ran out pretty quick.

I REALLY like it thus far. I took my RT as an eBook reader on business a couple of times and I can see where this might bet a tad more tiresome to hold, but the fact that it's virtually a full blown laptop (laplet? tabtop?) makes it far more appealing. Also makes it far more easier to goto a customer site to demo our software in a casual manner. I do wonder if there's any software out there that can add a clear overlay to the desktop that can be toggled on with say a keyboard shortcut which then allows us to doodle directly on the screen. I'm involved with some UI prototyping and it'd be nice if I could doodle directly on the screen, then capture the entire screen (including doodling) as an image.

I suppose I could copy into Fresh Paint or something, but I'd prefer a more technical drawing/doodling tool...

Having gone through the iPad, TouchPad, Xoom, RT, and using the Pro now, I think MS did an excellent job with the Pro by far...the RT was great but as with any other of the tablet OS, the lack of true desktop application use (none of this remote desktop into PC stuff) was the big downside for me.

Edit: OneNote seems to work pretty well...I'd still prefer to draw on the screen rather than in a screen cap, but the screen cap has its benefits since I can annotate outside in the white space.

Edit 2: Phantasy Star Online 2 runs decent on medium settings...when the lighting effects kick in, though, it drops to about 15-20fps. It's not recognizing the "Q" key for some reason on my touch cover though...

Izuna

Banned
Edit 2: Phantasy Star Online 2 runs decent on medium settings...when the lighting effects kick in, though, it drops to about 15-20fps. It's not recognizing the "Q" key for some reason on my touch cover though...

If you want 60fps turn off post processing. You'll get used to it after some time. Runs great even on HD3000.

Zabka

I REALLY like it thus far. I took my RT as an eBook reader on business a couple of times and I can see where this might bet a tad more tiresome to hold, but the fact that it's virtually a full blown laptop (laplet? tabtop?) makes it far more appealing. Also makes it far more easier to goto a customer site to demo our software in a casual manner. I do wonder if there's any software out there that can add a clear overlay to the desktop that can be toggled on with say a keyboard shortcut which then allows us to doodle directly on the screen. I'm involved with some UI prototyping and it'd be nice if I could doodle directly on the screen, then capture the entire screen (including doodling) as an image.

I suppose I could copy into Fresh Paint or something, but I'd prefer a more technical drawing/doodling tool...

Here's a few you can try out:

http://www.screenmarker.com/
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897434 <-- ZoomIt
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Home-Education/MarkPen.shtml

Screenmarker looks nice but it's a little flaky. ZoomIt is very simple but solid. Didn't try the last one.

Posting from my work surface. It came a day early and it's a 128 rather than a 64 like I had been led to believe. Bluestacks works rather well. Epic citadel gets 33 fps or so and The Pinball Arcade is quite playable. Loving it so far. I'm trying to get used to 125% because I'm trying to use this extended to another monitor. If that doesn't really work out, I'll dedicate a monitor for desktop use and dedicate the surface screen when I'm at my desk to e-mail or web browsing, or something.

Top Bottom