• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

I'm updating the drivers atm. It ran okay on low, performance wise, but everything other than the ground was white. Surprisingly still playable, but not ideal at all. I will update in a bit. Its good to get some use out of this wired controller I have. Monkey island wasn't touch friendly. Sam and Max season three was pretty touch friendly from what I played, which wasn't enough to say for sure. Had to play at 1080p to get the cursor to properly line up, with graphics settings on 3.

Edit: Its okay at 720p and very low detail. Playable, but the framerate spends a good deal of time sub 30fps. Dunno that I'd recommend a purchase it the surface is your only option.

Thanks for the feedback. But I'd definitely class Alan Wake and it's expansion to be the worst case scenario for gaming on the Surface, both have higher requirements to run than even Crysis 1 @ 720p

UE3 games seem to run pretty well

That there is a glowing endorsement for gaming on the Surface. More than half of the AAA console ports for the PC this gen have been on some variant of the UE3 engine.

So Mass effect series, Gears, Dishonored, DmC, Borderlands etc etc should all be covered.

After a few days with the surface, I've decided that 10.6 inches is too small for a laptop screen. It's fine for tablet, but this thing is primarily supposed to be used as a laptop (i.e. an ultrabook), and it's just too small of a screen.

Thanks for the feedback. But I'd definitely class Alan Wake and it's expansion to be the worst case scenario for gaming on the Surface, both have higher requirements to run than even Crysis 1 @ 720p
that's why I wanted to see how they ran.

I'll second m0dus on source games running nicely. Portal 2 was running smoothly at 720p (and the default settings it decided on using). I'm going to try Dead Space on it at some point (because that engine always seemed really well optimized), but I'm going to wait until I have my portable DVD drive from work to install it from cause I'd rather not use bandwidth I don't need to in order to install a game I own a physical copy of. I've Doom 3 BFG and Arkham Asylum downloading right now.

After a few days with the surface, I've decided that 10.6 inches is too small for a laptop screen. It's fine for tablet, but this thing is primarily supposed to be used as a laptop (i.e. an ultrabook), and it's just too small of a screen.

It could be primarily used like the RT except now you can add or change what you want. If you've got money to burn you could use it primarily for consumption.

giga

Yep. Even the 11.6" Air is too small for me to use as a notebook. 13" is perfect.

batman arkham asylum runs pretty well on medium at 720p, and Doom 3 BFG edition runs great at 720p, and okay at 1080p, for those keeping score. personally I like the screensize, but I doubt I'll be using it much as a laptop. I'll be plugging it into monitors or using it like a tablet primarily. 10.5 is big enough for plugging in a joypad and playing games though.

MooMoo

Is there some type of special number I can call to escalate my 64GB-128GB mess up? They have my contact info, gave me a reference number, and told me they'd contact me back. I kind of let that slide last night cause it was Friday night and I just wanted to enjoy the night. But now I'm sitting here today kinda baffled about the whole thing and I feel like they should have handled the situation right when I called them. Yes I'm an impatient bastard :p

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Hope we do get larger screen surfi at some point. Maybe make a super thin one and reduce the bezel and still target 2 lbs.

Returners

are you thinking about returning it again?

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Anyone seen a video comparing the pro vs. the latest ipad in terms of browsing performance? I really want to see the speed difference.

Fury Sense

Been having a few issues regarding the keyboard. It seems that the foldback recognition isn't always 100% deactivating. For example, I would use the on screen keyboard, but Windows thinks that the CTRL key is currently held, so anything I typed was a command.

Also, at times I'd notice UI deactivated when pulling the charms bar out. I'd click the settings gear and it just closed the charms bar. Very frustrating.

Removing and reattaching the keyboard fixes all of these issues.

=\

.hacked

yOowwzgl.jpg

Enjoying some walking dead, the keyboard cover is well worth the extra $

Been having a few issues regarding the keyboard. It seems that the foldback recognition isn't always 100% deactivating. For example, I would use the on screen keyboard, but Windows thinks that the CTRL key is currently held, so anything I typed was a command.

Also, at times I'd notice UI deactivated when pulling the charms bar out. I'd click the settings gear and it just closed the charms bar. Very frustrating.

=\

Return the keyboard and get a small mouse and the wedge bt keyboard w/ stand online.

are you thinking about returning it again?
Not thinking about it. Already decided to return it. The first time, I used it mainly as a tablet and was disappointed by the weight and battery life and aspect ratio. And this second time as I've been using it more as a laptop, I'm seeing it's really not viable for me as that either because of the screen size. So, back it goes.

Edit: Your user name is very appropriate for this post.

giga

Not thinking about it. Already decided to return it. The first time, I used it mainly as a tablet and was disappointed by the weight and battery life and aspect ratio. And this second time as I've been using it more as a laptop, I'm seeing it's really not viable for me as that either because of the screen size. So, back it goes.

Edit: Your user name is very appropriate for this post.
That's why he asked. It's his fetish.

eastmen

Banned

=
In classic windows update there is a driver update for the keyboard. You might have to go through the process once or twice before it shows up. But it fixed most of my issues

Saw an article earlier this week that MS was planning on shipping more 128 systems this weekend. So I checked this afternoon and low and behold the best buy closest to me had them in stock but none of the other ones within the radius it looks at had any. So I bought one online and picked it up in store (though I had to travel a little farther to a Staples which had the type cover because BB didn't. So far I'm loving this thing, was messing with sketchbook pro and it works really nice and the pressure sensitivity works out great for that program. I had just recently bought a new desktop late last year and was looking for a portable option when I heard about the surface.

I am quite enjoying it, it is pretty much everything that I wanted in terms of a strong full portable computer. Already gave Dear Esther a test earlier and it ran great. I may bump the settings up here again to see what I can push out of it, but just plug in a controller and it is good to go. So far I'm quite happy with my purchase, can't wait to see what else I can get this bad boy to do.

Edit: Also typing this using the type cover right now and it is really nice, way better than the touch covers I tried at BB.

Probably more of a Windows 8 thing, but does anyone know how to set a background that's consistent all the way through from lock screen, to login screen, to Metro IU, to Legacy Desktop?

looks like a few best buys in my state got 128s for the weekend, but mine did not.

Hoping they come in next week.

I have a 64GB I can't use atm because it is a best buy store demo unit and I don't want to wipe it or put my personal account info into it.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Just got done with chapter 2 of walking dead, that's my set up above. My battery was at 47% and it was plugged in the entire time. Over all still loving my surface after a week. Returned the touch cover for a type cover, like it more. Battery life takes so getting used to coming from an iPad 4th gen but being able to do all my stuff on one device makes up for it. I really just miss imessage from my mac, trying to use Skype but still wish there was an imessage app but doubt apple will share.

Enjoying some walking dead, the keyboard cover is well worth the extra $

that's why I wanted to see how they ran.

I'll second m0dus on source games running nicely. Portal 2 was running smoothly at 720p (and the default settings it decided on using). I'm going to try Dead Space on it at some point (because that engine always seemed really well optimized), but I'm going to wait until I have my portable DVD drive from work to install it from cause I'd rather not use bandwidth I don't need to in order to install a game I own a physical copy of. I've Doom 3 BFG and Arkham Asylum downloading right now.

batman arkham asylum runs pretty well on medium at 720p, and Doom 3 BFG edition runs great at 720p, and okay at 1080p, for those keeping score. personally I like the screensize, but I doubt I'll be using it much as a laptop. I'll be plugging it into monitors or using it like a tablet primarily. 10.5 is big enough for plugging in a joypad and playing games though.

Good stuff, mates. Thanks again for the trouble in testing out the games. I'm still on the fence when it comes to the Surface but I'm leaning more towards getting one now.

I previously thought of getting the Alienware m11x for some compact gaming on the go, but it now seems the Surface is quite the performer. The ULV Ivy Bridge i5 is really putting in the work, and the Intel HD Graphics is no slouch either. Intel's really come far since their really crappy 845/945 GM Intel 'extreme' graphics chipsets.

oh man, this is an endless odyssey for me. my contact who wanted to bring a surface from the states for me, says she doesnt have paypal and no access to her bank account, while overseas so I cant send her the money.

ugh.

I hope ebay prices will be closer to the official price soon. I wont pay a $300 premium plus shipping and taxes.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Went to the Microsoft store in my Jersey Mall. They had a 64 GB Pro and they told me that they are giving 64 GB cards at 70 dollars that you can put in the SD slot to make it 128. The performance of that card cant be like a 128 Gig normally would be right? I dont use Cards often, so I really dont know.

Also anyone looking at office that has a .edu email can get the 4 year university office plan for 70 bucks, but you can only install it on 2 computers.

the total they gave me was around 1360 bucks for the 64 GB Surface + 64 GB SD card + Type cover + Office University + Microsoft Warranty.

Now I am trying to convince myself to do this or if I should just get a Macbook. this shit sucks.

m0dus

Banned
Went to the Microsoft store in my Jersey Mall. They had a 64 GB Pro and they told me that they are giving 64 GB cards at 70 dollars that you can put in the SD slot to make it 128. The performance of that card cant be like a 128 Gig normally would be right? I dont use Cards often, so I really dont know.

Also anyone looking at office that has a .edu email can get the 4 year university office plan for 70 bucks, but you can only install it on 2 computers.

the total they gave me was around 1360 bucks for the 64 GB Surface + 64 GB SD card + Type cover + Office University + Microsoft Warranty.

Now I am trying to convince myself to do this or if I should just get a Macbook. this shit sucks.

Can't it be both?

http://youtu.be/icPMg_qkSRs

:)

Get the sd card online and save a couple of bucks on the final price. The sd card is slower than the SSD inside the pro. If you think you should just get a MacBook then go with that. Whatever meets your needs.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate

I have a non-Retina MacBook pro(gift), but I'm longing for that surface pro especially with that pen and the high res display. Once you go touch, everything pales in comparison.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.

haha Love this!

Get the sd card online and save a couple of bucks on the final price. The sd card is slower than the SSD inside the pro. If you think you should just get a MacBook then go with that. Whatever meets your needs.

Im thinking, I should just wait for the 128. I already have an apple ecosystem in my place. I just think I want something different and the surface could be that thing.

I have a non-Retina MacBook pro(gift), but I'm longing for that surface pro especially with that pen and the high res display. Once you go touch, everything pales in comparison.

I was thinking this as well... Thanks for everything guys

Top Bottom