• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

why on earth would you want to put OS X on a Surface? It wouldn't support any touch gestures whatsoever.

Because I do music and use Logic Pro, and would like have something I can do music on the go whilst maintaining the functionality of a tablet. In that video the pen seemed to work perfectly fine.

eastmen

Banned
haha Love this!

Im thinking, I should just wait for the 128. I already have an apple ecosystem in my place. I just think I want something different and the surface could be that thing.

I was thinking this as well... Thanks for everything guys

Wait for the 128 gig ones its worth it. I got my 64gig micro sd card for $40 bucks online. Just got to keep an eye out.

Feep

Banned
Throwing a Skype session off to the right using the built-in multitasking and then screen-sharing the desktop as I showed off some work I've been doing was pretty awesome.

Still love this thing.

dream

BDVk5nHCMAI5ycl.png:large

1cmanny1

I haven't been following this too closely, but I am interested.

I am sick of carrying my old laptop around at university, the idea of a tablet that has a pen, and a portable keyboard is enticing.
So what exactly is the difference between the RT and Pro? I know that the Pro can play games etc, but I would be stupid to buy one just for that when I have a desktop (or so I tell myself). Is browsing the internet/office basically the same as using them on a normal computer? Or is the RT more like a tablet?
Also is there any cheaper/better tablets that would do the same thing?

I am sick of carrying my old laptop around at university, the idea of a tablet that has a pen, and a portable keyboard is enticing.
So what exactly is the difference between the RT and Pro? I know that the Pro can play games etc, but I would be stupid to buy one just for that when I have a desktop (or so I tell myself). Is browsing the internet/office basically the same as using them on a normal computer? Or is the RT more like a tablet?

The RT is more like a tablet and you won't be able to run your normal Windows desktop applications on it, only the ones from the Windows Store. You're also limited to Internet Explorer 10, which isn't a bad thing per se, but unlike iOS, there aren't any alternative user interfaces for it (like Dolphin or "Chrome"). The RT comes with Office 2013 Home (no Outlook), which is pretty much the same as the normal desktop version. It doesn't support a pen the way the Pro does.

The Pro is more like a normal Ultrabook running Windows 8, in a tablet form factor.

DagsJT

The RT is more like a tablet and you won't be able to run your normal Windows desktop applications on it, only the ones from the Windows Store. You're also limited to Internet Explorer 10, which isn't a bad thing per se, but unlike iOS, there aren't any alternative user interfaces for it (like Dolphin or "Chrome"). The RT comes with Office 2013 Home (no Outlook), which is pretty much the same as the normal desktop version. It doesn't support a pen the way the Pro does.

The Pro is more like a normal Ultrabook running Windows 8, in a tablet form factor.

There is another browser named UC BrowserHD which seems good.

So, as an artist, should I get a Surface or save up for a Cintiq?

The size difference doesn't matter so much to me, but will a cintiq have any meaningful capability that a capacitive screen with a digitizer like the Surface doesn't?

I doubt as an amateur that I'll see a difference between 1k levels of pressure and 2k, but I aim to learn to create professional level work. My iPad certainly isn't going to cut it and I've given up on regular drawing tablets like the Intuos.

MooMoo

Bleh totally entering blog/rant territory:

So following up on my 64GB-128GB mixup. I called them Friday evening and hadn't heard back from them since. I realized that their support actually works weekends so I figured something of this caliber of an issue would be resolved quickly. So I just started another chat with them this morning and oddly enough they couldn't even find the original reference number I was given on Friday. The good news is that my exchange is officially on process now. The bad news is that it seems like the entire process is going to take a while, which is not the expedited service that I was expecting.

Overall, a really frustrating experience and when the rep gave me the option for a full refund or an exchange, I was tempted to just take the refund and not bother with the Surface any more. While I have loved the time I have spent with it, having to deal with the long time it's going to take to exchange is one giant headache of a process.

I'm actually somewhat surprised I'm the only one with this issue. The packaging is 128GB even though it's a 64GB inside so it seems like something stupid happened during the boxing process of this; which I assumed is controlled by a machine? It just seems so bizarre to me that it would only happen to ONE box out of the many they sold.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So, as an artist, should I get a Surface or save up for a Cintiq?

The size difference doesn't matter so much to me, but will a cintiq have any meaningful capability that a capacitive screen with a digitizer like the Surface doesn't?

I doubt as an amateur that I'll see a difference between 1k levels of pressure and 2k, but I aim to learn to create professional level work. My iPad certainly isn't going to cut it and I've given up on regular drawing tablets like the Intuos.

I've yet to use a Cintiq (it's been too much money for me ;_; I've used an Intuos 4 for about 5 years and love it) but as I understand it in theory the Surface Pro should have the same functionality as a Cintiq when it comes to how sensitive and accurate it is. However at the moment it doesn't work with many art products such as the Adobe line, so depending on the programs you intend to use you may want to wait.

But on the other side of the coin, for how expensive Cintiqs are they are not portable devices. They have to be plugged into a wall to receive power. They are also not computers, and must be plugged into an existing computer so it won't replace the computer you intend to use. You also need to make sure your computer can output in the right format (DVI-I I believe), otherwise an adapter is necessary. But there are no incompatibility issues that I am aware of when hooked up to a normal computer/laptop.

tl;dr version: Cintiqs are for desks and are very expensive but is compatible with any software your computer can run, Surface Pro is for the go and is the same price as the Cintiq of similar size, but currently incompatible with a lot of stuff.

I've yet to use a Cintiq (it's been too much money for me ;_; I've used an Intuos 4 for about 5 years and love it) but as I understand it in theory the Surface Pro should have the same functionality as a Cintiq when it comes to how sensitive and accurate it is. However at the moment it doesn't work with many art products such as the Adobe line, so depending on the programs you intend to use you may want to wait.

But on the other side of the coin, for how expensive Cintiqs are they are not portable devices. They have to be plugged into a wall to receive power. They are also not computers, and must be plugged into an existing computer so it won't replace the computer you intend to use. You also need to make sure your computer can output in the right format (DVI-I I believe), otherwise an adapter is necessary. But there are no incompatibility issues that I am aware of when hooked up to a normal computer/laptop.

tl;dr version: Cintiqs are for desks and are very expensive but is compatible with any software your computer can run, Surface Pro is for the go and is the same price as the Cintiq of similar size, but currently incompatible with a lot of stuff.
Thanks. I think that even though I'm not satisfied with regular drawing tablets, it would be prudent to start out smaller than a Cintiq until I have the skill to justify the cost, so I think I will go with the Surface.

The REALLY hard decision will actually be Surface Pro or Thinkpad Helix.

RT could be a companion device for your desktop, but it depends on what you expect to do on the couch, out and about, etc. Pro will probably blow away your old laptop in terms of screen, speed, etc.

RT has restrictions placed on it by MS mainly for security, performance, and political reasons. There's also an inherent limitation in its architecture and in order for older windows software to work that software has to be redesigned/recompiled regardless if those restrictions are there or not. The surface pro can do nearly anything you want like your old laptop. I don't think there's a tablet that comes with a pen/detachable keyboard that's better than the surface pro.

Im pretty sure the digitizer in the tablet arent 2056 levels like the cintiq. Has anyone tried the drives Asus and Samsung use for what is probably the same wacom digitizer within the surface pro as was their tablets? My asus ep121 retains its pressure sensitivity in win 8 while in photoshop.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Im pretty sure the digitizer in the tablet arent 2056 levels like the cintiq. Has anyone tried the drives Asus and Samsung use for what is probably the same wacom digitizer within the surface pro as was their tablets? My asus ep121 retains its pressure sensitivity in win 8 while in photoshop.

I thought the $1,000 model only had 1,024?

EDIT: Yep, just double-checked, the 12WX only has 1,024 levels. 22HD and up have 2,048.

I guess they're pointing out the alternate OS feature with this, but without suggesting some non-MS OS? Pretty sloppy, but worth pointing out I guess. Just more chaos caused by the tablet/PC confusion.

Schlep

Just ordered a cheap micro HDMI->VGA adapter off Amazon for my RT. The days of having to take a laptop with me on business trips are over.

Alx

Just ordered a cheap micro HDMI->VGA adapter off Amazon for my RT. The days of having to take a laptop with me on business trips are over.

Yes it's definitely a perfect fit for business meetings.
You made me remember that I found the solution to my display problem and didn't mention it here, maybe it could be useful to others.
The problem was that when I was connecting my Surface to a screen and tried to display a "metro" app (IE in that case), I was getting a message about an unsupported resolution, and the app was closed automatically.
It's due to the Surface trying to use the same resolution on the tablet and the screen, that wouldn't always be metro-compliant (lower than the native tablet resolution). But if you change the display settings of the second screen through the desktop, you can have the native resolution on the tablet and a higher one on the screen, and everything is fine.

kazinova

Is there a cheap alternative for video out with the RT. We bought a miniDisplayPort-to-HDMI that works with the fiancée's Pro. I can't find if the RT video out is proprietary or not.

Just bought a 64gb surface pro. Gonna pick it up from BB today. I want to use it for a week before I sell my iPad.

having had my Pro home over the long weekend, for couch based web browsing etc, I still picked up my RT instead. The pro is great for work use and for gaming, but you might find yourself holding onto that iPad for general web browsing. I'm glad I picked up an RT for home use, rather than a pro.

If I didn't have a full fat desktop though, I'd have got a Pro.

having had my Pro home over the long weekend, for couch based web browsing etc, I still picked up my RT instead. The pro is great for work use and for gaming, but you might find yourself holding onto that iPad for general web browsing. I'm glad I picked up an RT for home use, rather than a pro.

If I didn't have a full fat desktop though, I'd have got a Pro.

Hmm thanks what I'm afraid of. I guess I'll find out if I feel the way you did in a few days.

eastmen

Banned
Hmm thanks what I'm afraid of. I guess I'll find out if I feel the way you did in a few days.
I use mine everywhere I used my ipad 2 and touch pad. I love sitting on the coich playing pin ball and switching to glass amd being able to change netlif or hulu shows on my xbox and then s at itching to pinball again. My gf and I will lay in bed and play cov 5 together at night also.

I use mine everywhere I used my ipad 2 and touch pad. I love sitting on the coich playing pin ball and switching to glass amd being able to change netlif or hulu shows on my xbox and then s at itching to pinball again. My gf and I will lay in bed and play cov 5 together at night also.

still getting used to that keyboard eh? touch or type out of interest? I seem to be one of the only people who loves the touch cover.

eastmen

Banned
still getting used to that keyboard eh? touch or type out of interest? I seem to be one of the only people who loves the touch cover.
No im at work on my note 2. I type fine on the type keyboard.

I have the type keyboard and as I said I type fine. My gf has the touch cover (pink with flowers) and she types fine. I dont type so well on the touch keyboad. Itype better than on the note 2 however... mostly due to size id say

Ryu1999

Tried using the $100 voucher to buy the type cover and it doesn't seem to work. Ms store customer service was completely useless

Tried using the $100 voucher to buy the type cover and it doesn't seem to work. Ms store customer service was completely useless

Yeah they are pretty useless. About all they do is say "We aren't really Microsoft".

Then when you ask for a manager they say "My manager can't do anything because we aren't really Microsoft".

Then you ask for a phone number to call Microsoft and they give it to you.

Then you call Microsoft and they try to give you the number to the Microsoft Store.

Then you give up and swear to never buy Microsoft products again.

Top Bottom