• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Yeah they are pretty useless. About all they do is say "We aren't really Microsoft".

Then when you ask for a manager they say "My manager can't do anything because we aren't really Microsoft".

Then you ask for a phone number to call Microsoft and they give it to you.

Then you call Microsoft and they try to give you the number to the Microsoft Store.

Then you give up and swear to never buy Microsoft products again.

Maybe the person you spoke to was temporary? MS uses the store logo and I'm sure gives them free MS swag occasionally.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Lol I knew that $100 would have some kind of catch..absolutely knew it..American companies for ya.

zorbsie

Played torchlight 2 on my surface pro. Ran nicely at 1920x1080. I can move my character around just with pointing on the screen too bad you can't right click with touch. Would be great to play without the keyboard. Kind of bummed that I can't play adventure games in tablet mode. The touch and onscreen mouse don't line up. Not sure if there is a way to solve this.

Played torchlight 2 on my surface pro. Ran nicely at 1920x1080. I can move my character around just with pointing on the screen too bad you can't right click with touch. Would be great to play without the keyboard. Kind of bummed that I can't play adventure games in tablet mode. The touch and onscreen mouse don't line up. Not sure if there is a way to solve this.

Doesn't a long press register as a right click?

I didn't even think of that. I'll have to check it out when I get home. I'll try playing with the pen too. That has a right click button on it.

At the desktop, you get a shaded box under your finger after about a second, I dunno how it'd work or even if it would in a game though.

Epcott

Received my Surface Pro from Best Buy today. Coincidently, the type cover arrived in the mail too.

Installed Corel Painter 12 and used the Sensu Brush for a moment to test and pressure sensitivity and didn't notice it at all. Also, Painter's UI is a nightmare on the pad :(

Any word on the wacom patch for photoshop?

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Annnnd I just said F it. purchased the 64 GB and I am going to use it on my road trip for the next week and a half. If I like it then i will take it back for the 128GB if I still want it. If not, I will take it back for good. Got the University Office also. looking forward to doing work on it during my business trip

Zoe

The bf's Pro came in on Thursday from the online store, but he didn't get a chance to open it until Sunday. He loved it, but there was a small pixel defect on the screen. Took it to the local MS store yesterday morning, and they promised him one from today's shipment. Came in as expected--they even put the screen protector on for his since the original had it :lol

Only annoyance in the whole thing was we had to do a full return rather than an exchange since it original came from online.

that is surreal. How big could the market be for that?!?!

who in the blue fuck would actually get a surface and say 'oh man, win 7 would really make this hardware SING'

I hope an intern was responsible for that, and I hope they beat him using soap in socks.

I'm sure it's just poorly worded and they mean "Compatible with your windows 7 applications". Either way, someone should fix that.

The real problem is speed. Even rhe fast arm chips are only comparable to core 2 duos of 2006. Add emilulation over head and it makes matters even worse

This poses no issue to me at all...I really just want to be able to install Microsoft Money (yeah, I'm still using it, haha) and maybe Visual Studio Express. No games for me...

Honestly, the C2D comparison tells me that these ARM chips are a lot more powerful than I realized...assuming the comparison is valid, of course.

The monkey island special editions work great when using the old graphics if you have those.

playing Book of Unwritten tales using touch. only thing missing is the space bar which shows interactive hot spots

got the 64gb from best buy today. First off this thing is heavy as a tablet and weirdly feels even heavier than my old 11 inch MacBook air. Secondly, the touch cover is incredible Im using it to type right now and so far I barely make any mistakes.

I really like it as a laptop first and a tablet as a last resort which causes a problem in me keeping it over my ipad 4. I think if MS can get the weight down to RT level/ ipad it will be a must buy for most people. I feel like an asshole using it in portrait mode due to how long it is when I do it.

Also does anyone else's surface get hot? Im using it just for browsing the web and this thing is very warm to the touch.

Can I use mobile version of Neogaf or use another browser that is conducive to the surface?

This poses no issue to me at all...I really just want to be able to install Microsoft Money (yeah, I'm still using it, haha) and maybe Visual Studio Express. No games for me...

Honestly, the C2D comparison tells me that these ARM chips are a lot more powerful than I realized...assuming the comparison is valid, of course.

C2D is still no slouch if you're not gaming/video encoding/photoshopping/compiling programs.

I think we hit the performance cap for office applications (Word, excel etc) with the Core 2. Most offices only need Core 2 level performances their machines.

Honestly, the performance levels of current chips have long surpassed the requirements of most casual users many years ago; the i5/i7 is just overkill for most basic tasks.

Also does anyone else's surface get hot? Im using it just for browsing the web and this thing is very warm to the touch.

Can I use mobile version of Neogaf or use another browser that is conducive to the surface?
yeah mine gets hot especially when extensive use like drawing

mobile Gaf
u can use firefox then download the user agent overide which is just a quick tap to change to mobile version

or use IE and press f12 (developer tools I believe) then click tools User Agent pick ipad

Nero3000

They are not yet quite core 2 duo level of performance.

Based on win RT and android current ARM chips are at the level of the latest atoms in terms of performance, and that is still multiples away from core 2.

They are not yet quite core 2 duo level of performance.

Based on win RT and android current ARM chips are at the level of the latest atoms in terms of performance, and that is still multiples away from core 2.

That's about what I'd have thought, really...but I'm so out of the loop on processor tech these days, as I haven't built a machine since the first C2D chips, and then switched to Apple machines (which are both C2D, oddly enough). I really have no scale for how much faster the i5 and i7 chips are than what I have.

Izuna

Banned
I thought the 128GB would be too little, but considering all of my video editing would be on an external device and I was planning on install all Modern UI apps to a 64GB microSD -- and all graphic work sits on SkyDrive...

So I'm assuming I'm probably going to get 89.7GB free (when it comes out in the UK) after I move the recovery stuffs onto the microSD.

--

The software I will use, which will consist of drivers, codecs, Paint Shop Pro, InDesign, Illustrator and Premier etc. will probably add up to no more than 10GB.

Now my music collection will not add up to more than 8GB (it's only 4GB now) -- just Shiina Ringo and Chemical Brothers mixed with Xbox Music stuff.

Currently SkyDrive is taking 500MB which is all of my Uni work and portfolio (and SSFIV Ibuki Player Guide raw files).

That's a base of about 71.2GB left.

Backups: Myst IV (8GB), AvP2 (1.2GB), and Quake II (backing up music, probably 800MB)

Steam games: AvP (14.4GB), Guild Wars (~4GB), SSFIVAE (9GB), Civ5 (6GB), DeusEx2 (2GB), AvPclassic (500MB), Doom 3 BFG (~7GB)

That brings the free space down to just 28.3GB. Pretty much a dream machine for me.

--

So far so good, I mean, I'll probably put a few more old school games for less than 5GB on (maybe realMyst or something). I'm a huge Alien(s) fan so I'll probably stick a movie or two on it but that'll be on an external HDD.

Cost will probably be insane though: £899 + £40 (for 64GB microSD) + £110 (type cover, already have cyan touch cover) + £65 (2TB USB 3.0 drive for editing/whatever) + £9 (basic Bluetooth mouse) = £1123

Dear Microsoft, please make this thing come out by April... Damn you lucky Americans >_<

I thought the 128GB would be too little, but considering all of my video editing would be on an external device and I was planning on install all Modern UI apps to a 64GB microSD -- and all graphic work sits on SkyDrive...

So I'm assuming I'm probably going to get 89.7GB free (when it comes out in the UK) after I move the recovery stuffs onto the microSD.

--

The software I will use, which will consist of drivers, codecs, Paint Shop Pro, InDesign, Illustrator and Premier etc. will probably add up to no more than 10GB.

Now my music collection will not add up to more than 8GB (it's only 4GB now) -- just Shiina Ringo and Chemical Brothers mixed with Xbox Music stuff.

Currently SkyDrive is taking 500MB which is all of my Uni work and portfolio (and SSFIV Ibuki Player Guide raw files).

Backups: Myst IV (8GB), AvP2 (1.2GB), and Quake II (backing up music, probably 800MB)

Steam games: AvP (14.4GB), Guild Wars (~4GB), SSFIVAE (9GB), Civ5 (6GB), DeusEx2 (2GB), AvPclassic (500MB), Doom 3 BFG (~7GB)

That brings the free space down to just 28.3GB. Pretty much a dream machine for me.

--

So far so good, I mean, I'll probably put a few more old school games for less than 5GB on (maybe realMyst or something). I'm a huge Alien(s) fan so I'll probably stick a movie or two on it but that'll be on an external HDD.

Cost will probably be insane though: £899 + £40 (for 64GB microSD) + £110 (type cover, already have cyan touch cover) + £65 (2TB USB 3.0 drive for editing/whatever) + £9 (basic Bluetooth mouse) = £1123

Dear Microsoft, please make this thing come out by April... Damn you lucky Americans >_<

apart from deus ex 2, you've got pretty good taste in games ;)

Izuna

Banned
apart from deus ex 2, you've got pretty good taste in games ;)

Ah, well... It's one of my favourite games but I understand why people don't like it. Not going to bother compare it to the first game 'cause I'll get hate, but at least Invisible War > Human Revolution past the first level.

*ahem*

Well there would be Need For Speed Underground, Panzer Dragoon Zwei and PSOep1&2 but I don't own those games on PC (rubbish at backing up console games) =).

--

--

What kind of video editing will you being doing? I was considering using mine for it but have no idea what the power will be like.

Izuna

Banned
What kind of video editing will you being doing? I was considering using mine for it but have no idea what the power will be like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX5dTgqHwVk <- long as projects requiring lots of raw PC footage (was possible on 5400rpm SATA II and q6600) -- hence the 2TB external HDD

or just general stuff that's much easier to pull off like random interviews or whatever. Anything that's not Uni basically

The video above would be easy to do on an i5 with 4GB RAM

fake edit: it was originally in 1080p when I encoded it, that's a re-upload

railGUN

Banned

Power wouldn't concern me as much as screen size. I couldn't image editing in Final Cut Pro on a 10" screen - maybe Premier doesn't require as much real estate though, it's been years since I've used it.

Edit: that's assuming you don't plug into an external monitor... with an external monitor it'd be fine.

Izuna

Banned
Power wouldn't concern me as much as screen size. I couldn't image editing in Final Cut Pro on a 10" screen - maybe Premier doesn't require as much real estate though, it's been years since I've used it.

Edit: that's assuming you don't plug into an external monitor... with an external monitor it'd be fine.

I can imagine this being a huge issue for most people. Just editing the timeline is fine with Premier, but colouring or synchronising like I had to in the guide? I'd have to stick my eyes right into the screen.

But yeah, the idea being that we wouldn't even encode the video until it's at a docking station or something, which is something every editor should have.

eastmen

Banned

Some of the older games you mentioned would run well off a fast usb 3.0 thumb drive.

Remember quake 2 came out in 1997 .

You know what else came out in 1997 ? Ultra ATA/33 which means you'd get a burst transfer rate of 33.3MBs from a hardrive. Your looking at sustained rates much slower and that was a high end spec that came out the same year , most ran it on slower hardrive.

The 64 gig micro sd cards from sandisk are hitting 30mb/s reads and 12mb/s writes So it will run games like quake 2 easily.

Some of the new usb 3.0 flash drives like the Sandisk extreme will transfer at over 206/170mb/s

So as long as you can get it to run from these devices it shouldn't be a huge problem

These guys aren't cheap both are around $60 bucks.

I certainly wish they had a larger capcity as 128 gigs just makes it , remember you want to leave 10-20% of the storage free so you don't kill the drive.

I'm hopefull that when the surface pro 3 comes out in 2014/15 they have a 256/512 gig option. Drive prices continue to drop and I will most likely upgrade to broadwell when it releases.

eastmen

Banned
I can imagine this being a huge issue for most people. Just editing the timeline is fine with Premier, but colouring or synchronising like I had to in the guide? I'd have to stick my eyes right into the screen.

But yeah, the idea being that we wouldn't even encode the video until it's at a docking station or something, which is something every editor should have.

last week I edited some light video work , remote desktop into my um desktop at home and just transferred the project over and when I got home at night it was all burned on a bluray and done.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
wtf is wrong with my office?? I downloaded it.. installed it and it is on my surface.. used it earlier on the plane and now at my hotel it will not open up at all... I have no idea why... no matter what office program I click, it wont open.

Izuna

Banned
Some of the older games you mentioned would run well off a fast usb 3.0 thumb drive.

Yes of course, but Surface Pro's singular USB drive isn't something I want to be running stuff from (exception of external drive for large project files or films) -- I'll probably be putting in a 360 pad wireless receiver or arcade stick for random gaming. I generally prefer the 360 pad over kb/m for more "atmospheric fpses". Quake II isn't one of them of course, I don't want to be constantly removing files and having Steam say "x" game is missing and an icon disappears.

microSD is fine for every single game, and if there 128GB microSD cards I'd just put all games and music and call it a multimedia port, but I'd rather (for now) have It all for Modern UI apps. HDD space can be taken up slowly by random crap when I don't realise it but a microSD is more manageable. I never want to see that I ran out of space for "apps".

- slightly less on topic -

I used to have an RT and I think it's big enough for arcade/classic gaming, but for anything more, I have a 360 for that.

--

There's no reason why MS won't just send out a Surface Pro 256GB version soon considering it won't cause a problem with design at all, but it seems 128GB is just enough for me right now for a laplet. Would have been nice to put BRrips of all the Alien movies on the HDD though... despite how pointless it is.

... I've never watched any of the AvP movies actually, are they as horrible as I heard (like Ressurection or Predators?)

eastmen

Banned
Yes of course, but Surface Pro's singular USB drive isn't something I want to be running stuff from (exception of external drive for large project files or films) -- I'll probably be putting in a 360 pad wireless receiver or arcade stick for random gaming. I generally prefer the 360 pad over kb/m for more "atmospheric fpses". Quake II isn't one of them of course, I don't want to be constantly removing files and having Steam say "x" game is missing and an icon disappears.

microSD is fine for every single game, and if there 128GB microSD cards I'd just put all games and music and call it a multimedia port, but I'd rather (for now) have It all for Modern UI apps. HDD space can be taken up slowly by random crap when I don't realise it but a microSD is more manageable. I never want to see that I ran out of space for "apps".

- slightly less on topic -

I used to have an RT and I think it's big enough for arcade/classic gaming, but for anything more, I have a 360 for that.

--

There's no reason why MS won't just send out a Surface Pro 256GB version soon considering it won't cause a problem with design at all, but it seems 128GB is just enough for me right now for a laplet. Would have been nice to put BRrips of all the Alien movies on the HDD though... despite how pointless it is.

... I've never watched any of the AvP movies actually, are they as horrible as I heard (like Ressurection or Predators?)

Hmm I just use one of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005QWY3PU/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and don't worry about the single slot. of course games like quake 2 and other shooters i'm going to have a mouse hooked up anyway to play them

Izuna

Banned
Hmm I just use one of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005QWY3PU/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and don't worry about the single slot. of course games like quake 2 and other shooters i'm going to have a mouse hooked up anyway to play them

That's a perfect solution but a USB that also requires extra power, that wouldn't be in my bag. Of course if you are using one of those, may as well get a USB 3.0 to SATA converter and put everything on more serious HDD.

As for the mouse, I figured if I needed a wired mouse as opposed to a Bluetooth mouse, I would also need a bigger screen.

It's actually pretty cool there are so many choices to set it up. I know it's just a PC but damn, I really hate seeing people use iPads at Uni just for the sake of it and having to resort to Asphalt or opening a netbook because they can't customise their experience.

--

Just ran a little benchmark of AvP3 on similar specs to Surface Pro. It's a pretty nice optimised game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t__5guEltc8 <-- not me -- I'd probably turn off the DX11 shadows and turn shadow complexity on low to get it running >40fps at 720p. Little survival mode games between lectures should be nice. Really hoping Myst IV works with the Pen, would love to play it lying down.

1cmanny1

The RT is more like a tablet and you won't be able to run your normal Windows desktop applications on it, only the ones from the Windows Store. You're also limited to Internet Explorer 10, which isn't a bad thing per se, but unlike iOS, there aren't any alternative user interfaces for it (like Dolphin or "Chrome"). The RT comes with Office 2013 Home (no Outlook), which is pretty much the same as the normal desktop version. It doesn't support a pen the way the Pro does.

The Pro is more like a normal Ultrabook running Windows 8, in a tablet form factor.

So you can't use the pen with office? Why not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX5dTgqHwVk <- long as projects requiring lots of raw PC footage (was possible on 5400rpm SATA II and q6600) -- hence the 2TB external HDD

or just general stuff that's much easier to pull off like random interviews or whatever. Anything that's not Uni basically

The video above would be easy to do on an i5 with 4GB RAM

fake edit: it was originally in 1080p when I encoded it, that's a re-upload

Yeah, I'm not doing any color correction, but it would be really nice to get started on some basic cutting in Premiere Pro. If it can handle that, I'll be happy.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, I'm not doing any color correction, but it would be really nice to get started on some basic cutting in Premiere Pro. If it can handle that, I'll be happy.

It'll be fine specs wise then. Screen wise, if you're doing basic edits, you can fit all you need on the screen fine. Premier is pretty friendly with moving around your menus using real estate efficiently.

I was just playing Dead Space 3 on my Pro, which runs okay at 720p and low presets, but given I had some trouble getting it working I thought I'd share this here. Origin doesn't work on the Pro right now. EA put out a special version that will work that you can download here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4885867/Origin-HL-94.zip

Incase you think that dropbox link looks shady for a real build of Origin, you'll find the forum post linking it here: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/30/9291803.page

Scroll down to find the second post by EA_Mikenoface.

eastmen

Banned
I was just playing Dead Space 3 on my Pro, which runs okay at 720p and low presets, but given I had some trouble getting it working I thought I'd share this here. Origin doesn't work on the Pro right now. EA put out a special version that will work that you can download here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4885867/Origin-HL-94.zip

Incase you think that dropbox link looks shady for a real build of Origin, you'll find the forum post linking it here: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/30/9291803.page

Scroll down to find the second post by EA_Mikenoface.

Origin does work or at least some games , my gf is able to play the sims 2 through origin . I was unable to play the sim city beta however as it kept saying to run it in a non emulated verison of windows

Origin does work or at least some games , my gf is able to play the sims 2 through origin . I was unable to play the sim city beta however as it kept saying to run it in a non emulated verison of windows

The build above will fix that specific error. That's the exact problem I was getting trying to play Dead Space 3, and other people in the thread I linked were trying to play the Sim City Beta.

I tried Xcom on it last night and was suprised how slow it ran even at 720 on the lowest settings. Fortunately it is still playable hovering around 22-25 FPS. Still Im surprising the game is that demanding.

eastmen

Banned
I tried Xcom on it last night and was suprised how slow it ran even at 720 on the lowest settings. Fortunately it is still playable hovering around 22-25 FPS. Still Im surprising the game is that demanding.
Ai uses alot of cpu. Same reason civ 5 runs slow. This only a dual core cpu. I expect with broadwell late 2014 we will see apro with a quad core

JaggedSac

Anybody having issues connecting to Live on their Surface? I can't play my minesweeper challenges for today and it's annoying me, lol.

Top Bottom