• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Izuna

Banned
My super cheap USB charging Bluetooth HP mouse has arrived. So far I can say it has really good weight to it and works on the desktop fine...

I'm going to test this mouse to see if I can play "The Club" well, if I can I'll recommend it and be a very happy bunny.

-- I don't have my Surface Pro yet, just preparing.

EDIT: Ew, I feel like someone who has played an FPS for the first time. I won't be using this for games that's for sure.

MCD

My super cheap USB charging Bluetooth HP mouse has arrived. So far I can say it has really good weight to it and works on the desktop fine...

I'm going to test this mouse to see if I can play "The Club" well, if I can I'll recommend it and be a very happy bunny.

EDIT: Ew, I feel like someone who has played an FPS for the first time. I won't be using this for games that's for sure.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-orochi

I know it's Razer blahblah cloud drivers yada yada but this is the best gaming Bluetooth mouse on the market. It can be wired as well!

anyone having issues with scrolling on the touch cover? Every time I use the trackpad to scroll and want to switch to one finger and move the cursor around there is a 1 second delay in which the trackpad does not recognize that I am moving my finger across its surface. Should I try to get an exchange? I bought from a 3rd party but fulfilled by Amazon.

Izuna

Banned
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-orochi

I know it's Razer blahblah cloud drivers yada yada but this is the best gaming Bluetooth mouse on the market. It can be wired as well!

Wow it's nearly £70 in the UK. It being wired/wireless is cool but, that's a lot of money for a little more convenience...

Hmm it's not like I can't afford it but, if I was spending that much, the Bluetooth part would have to be better than a standard USB mouse.

EDIT: The lag isn't the problem with the HP mouse I got, it's that I can't pull of headshots at far distances because it doesn't register small movements. Is this is a common problem with Bluetooth mice?

Anony

anyone know of a way to disable the capacitive menu button? shit is really annoying when i accidentally press on it when i'm in portrait mode

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Vaio Bluetooth mouse

I've been using this, had it laying around for years. Don't like that most of the modern Bluetooth mice don't have a mouse wheel, its like gaming with a mac magic mouse.

Anyone find a good mkv player for the modern ui? Mobile hd doesn't scale right for the pro and vlc is a ways off. The more I use my pro the less I like going into desktop mode.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So outside of Adobe products/ Paint Tool SAI not registering pressure sensitive input, how are people fairing with the Surface Pro? How's the usability?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
So outside of Adobe products/ Paint Tool SAI not registering pressure sensitive input, how are people fairing with the Surface Pro? How's the usability?

Coming from a MBPr and an Ipad, I'm totally in love with my surface now. I had a bit of an issue with the touch cover but switching to the type cover fixed that (gotta have that feedback).

Works great with all my everyday stuff, streaming videos, watching mkv (although wish there was a modern UI app for that), surfing the web ect. Even enjoy some light gaming (Walking dead, portal 2 and so on).

There seem to be a few flash issues in Modern UI mode (gametrailers mostly, can't see any of the bars in the window or make it full screen). Also miss Imessages from apple but Skype isn't to bad as a replacement. I have a 2nd power supply so the battery hasn't been an issue for me.

RurouniZel

Coming from a MBPr and an Ipad, I'm totally in love with my surface now. I had a bit of an issue with the touch cover but switching to the type cover fixed that (gotta have that feedback).

Works great with all my everyday stuff, streaming videos, watching mkv (although wish there was a modern UI app for that), surfing the web ect. Even enjoy some light gaming (Walking dead, portal 2 and so on).

There seem to be a few flash issues in Modern UI mode (gametrailers mostly, can't see any of the bars in the window or make it full screen). Also miss Imessages from apple but Skype isn't to bad as a replacement. I have a 2nd power supply so the battery hasn't been an issue for me.

Awesome, glad it's a good computer as well for the most part. ^_^ What's this 2nd power supply you mention? Is it expensive?

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Installed Torchlight 1 on my Micro SD. Runs great, but I can't seem to run full screen.

Installing Counterstrike GO right now.

RurouniZel

You can also use the surface rt one but it takes longer to charge tho half the price

Main reason I want it is for art/cintiq like ability with the stylus, so I'm hoping that they fix it soon so that I can get a great computer and drawing tool. :)

I finally had the chance to get my hands on the pro for a couple minutes in Best Buy today. The thickness and less so the weight are definitely more noticeable over the RT. Not a dealbreaker though. If they can get it slightly slimmer and improve the battery life to about 6 hours on average that would make it a very easy decision. 4-5 hours is still doable though. I may hold off for a while to see what other 3rd parties bring to the market or maybe revision 2.

Blackhead

Redarse
wow Gabe from Penny-Arcade gives a ringing endorsement of the Surface Pro:

As a mobile solution for a digital artist I’d say the Surface Pro is a winner...

For me the Surface Pro is actually a great piece of hardware. For other digital artists out there looking for a portable solution or maybe a Cintiq 12WX alternative I would highly recommend it...

Long detailed review, maybe even worth it's own thread.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I finally had the chance to get my hands on the pro for a couple minutes in Best Buy today. The thickness and less so the weight are definitely more noticeable over the RT. Not a dealbreaker though. If they can get it slightly slimmer and improve the battery life to about 6 hours on average that would make it a very easy decision. 4-5 hours is still doable though. I may hold off for a while to see what other 3rd parties bring to the market or maybe revision 2.

I found it was closer to 3.5 when doing anything remotely intensive; heck, even creating a PowerPoint presentation or light Photoshop use.

I think it's a good product that will will be worth purchasing when the 2nd revision hits shelves. Not a bad first attempt for Microsoft, though (even though I returned mine).

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
quick flash question.

I want to be able to watch all flash available... how do you make t so that I don't get the blank box for certain flash videos?? thanks guys!

stktt

Banned
Grab your pitchforks, people.

The Verge gave the Chromebook Pixel the same score as the Surface Pro!

$1,300, average battery life, stutters through local video, printer issues, essentially a web browser - 9/10 for performance, 6/10 for software, don't include an ecosystem or speaker score because something.

7.5/10.

$1,300, average battery life, stutters through local video, printer issues, essentially a web browser - 9/10 for performance, 6/10 for software, don't include an ecosystem or speaker score because something.

7.5/10.

Was this explained in the review? I just glanced at the scores and thought it was some weird "but this is a laptop and that's a tablet/laptop" argument. And maybe that the Chromebook didn't have speakers...?

railGUN

Banned
Was this explained in the review? I just glanced at the scores and thought it was some weird "but this is a laptop and that's a tablet/laptop" argument. And maybe that the Chromebook didn't have speakers...?

Chromebook has speakers, in the video review they say it pushes sound through the keyboard and it sounds good.

I learned to completely dismiss their score. So arbitrary. Usually their reviews are written well, though I think the surface pro's was horrible.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The only reason I could imagine is that The Verge is reviewing the products based on what they are aiming to be based on the market, not what they are at this moment.

With that said, the Surface has a lot on its shoulders. It is trying to transform a market and also be the best of both worlds, a laptop and a tablet. It also represents a device that is supposed to elevate the Windows 8 platform in so many ways, it's understandable that it is judged harshly. Microsoft put a LOT on it.

The Chromebook Pixel on the other hand, is more of a "here is what the future looks like" device that just so happens to be available to the public. Google does this a lot. It's not like there are features that Google disables if you don't own a Chromebook Pixel. It is truly the ultimate "future" laptop that is kind of ahead of its time, and that includes price. Not getting it doesn't really hurt you and I don't think Google really is worrying about the Pixel breaking any records for sales.

The Verge Review literally says about the Chromebook Pixel that "no one should buy one" - in that sense, the device should get a 0. But I don't think they're looking at it in that sense.

The Surface, on the other hand, is a device that Microsoft full well wants to break records and change an industry on its own. It will and should be judged as such.

Epcott

Bought Sketchbook Pro 6 for the Pro, but can't get it to install. It's 32bit, and I tried going into properties to "run in 64bit" but there isn't an option. Ugh!

Edit: Problem solved. I should have moved to Firefox on Pro the moment I turned it on :-/

dLMN8R

There is nothing "futuristic" about the Pixel except for its resolution. It has shit touch support. It has a shit ecosystem. It has average battery life. It has a weirdly-oriented screen. It can't even play back video smoothly.

The problem is that their "future" is literally identical if you install Chrome on an existing laptop. Well, actually, better in every way.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
There is nothing "futuristic" about the Pixel except for its resolution. It has shit touch support. It has a shit ecosystem. It has average battery life. It has a weirdly-oriented screen. It can't even play back video smoothly.
All of that can change with software, which Google is constantly updating. That's kind of the point. Oh, besides the battery life. But at least that's average and 4-5 hours is the same as say, an 11" Macbook Air and the Surface Pro. I've read that the aspect ratio is actually nice but I'll have to go see one in person before being able to say that for myself.

I'm not really defending it. I'm just saying I understand the score based on what the devices are trying to do. I think it's pretty objective that Microsoft is trying to do more with the Surface Pro as a device than Google is trying to do with the Pixel.

MooMoo

Oh lord the 64GB Pro is also out of stock on the MS store. I think I may just skip getting the pro. The longer it takes me to get my refund/even place an order, the less interested I become. I will say that the three days I did managed to play with one was a pretty awesome three days.

Decisions decisions.

dLMN8R

All of that can change with software, which Google is constantly updating. That's kind of the point. Oh, besides the battery life. But at least that's average and 4-5 hours is the same as say, an 11" Macbook Air and the Surface Pro. I've read that the aspect ratio is actually nice but I'll have to go see one in person before being able to say that for myself.

I'm not really defending it. I'm just saying I understand the score based on what the devices are trying to do. I think it's pretty objective that Microsoft is trying to do more with the Surface Pro as a device than Google is trying to do with the Pixel.

Surely you realize that Windows and Mac OS can be updated in the same way?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Surely you realize that Windows and Mac OS can be updated in the same way?
Yeah, I do.

But I never said anything was wrong with the Windows software. I'm commenting on the difference between what the Pixel and Surface are trying to do.

dLMN8R

But I don't get what's inherently different about what they're trying to do. The thing is, the Surface is already doing it.

Where are you getting this strange idea that Microsoft is trying to set records with the Surface? If the price didn't help you figure out that's not true, the total lack of any kind of supply should have.

Foolworm

Yeah, I do.

But I never said anything was wrong with the Windows software. I'm commenting on the difference between what the Pixel and Surface are trying to do.

I disagree with that sentiment though. Just looking at the Pixel in a different light doesn't give them an excuse to go easy on it - in the end, all these products are competing for consumers' dollars. If you're going to gouge people's pockets, you darn well put out something good or get mauled.

Who was that Verge guy who wished Nokia's WP8 flagships ran Android? Why doesn't he write about wishing for this to run Windows?

Edit: Lo and behold, this is the forum pick of the day from the Verge.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/24/4020574/phoenix-the-nokia-nexus-n9

Top Bottom