• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

There is nothing "futuristic" about the Pixel except for its resolution. It has shit touch support. It has a shit ecosystem. It has average battery life. It has a weirdly-oriented screen. It can't even play back video smoothly.

The problem is that their "future" is literally identical if you install Chrome on an existing laptop. Well, actually, better in every way.

Well, it's hardly surprising that a MS employee hates Google products.

Chrome Store is already better than Windows store. Chrome store runs on Windows 7, and most people will be on Windows 7 for the foreseeable future. Right now Chrome OS is like Android in 2008 - full of potential but not ready for prime time.

Chrome OS is an attack on Windows. Google docs and Google's new native client office program are an attack against Office. Google isn't making laptops that can completely replace a Mac or Windows device, they are aiming at making a device good enough for 90% of consumers that just surf the internet and check email online. The devices will get better and cheaper.

Google has very deep pockets and they can afford to wait years for the payoff.

Foolworm

Come now, do you really have to make statements like that? Where a person works shouldn't factor into his/her likes/dislikes.

Chrome Store is already better than Windows store. Chrome store runs on Windows 7, and most people will be on Windows 7 for the foreseeable future. Right now Chrome OS is like Android in 2008 - full of potential but not ready for prime time.

Chrome OS is an attack on Windows. Google docs and Google's new native client office program are an attack against Office. Google isn't making laptops that can completely replace a Mac or Windows device, they are aiming at making a device good enough for 90% of consumers that just surf the internet and check email online. The devices will get better and cheaper.

All those are speculative and subjective statements. Granted, Microsoft has been shooting themselves in the foot a good many times, but simply presenting Google's side of the argument is not going to win anyone over.

The problem is that Microsoft has had all the pieces of the puzzle for a long time - but instead of putting them together, its hands are playing thumb wars with each other. Its marketing efforts are misguided and it can't cultivate PR worth a damn - the popular tech press scorns it with an intensity I could well compare to Fox (amongst others) and Obama during the elections.

Enough derailing though. One question: When is the ETA for VLC metro? Additionally, anyone has a Metro theme for Foobar they'd like to recommend?

stktt

Banned

Disliking a bizarre, expensive experiment doesn't equate to hating Google's entire roster of products.

dLMN8R

I don't hate Google products. I hate this product. I don't care if it's an attack on Windows. I care that it's a horrible attempt at an attack on Windows.

I just don't see what this "payoff" is that they're attempting to hit. There's nothing special about this device. It has the exact same components as countless other devices. It has build quality that's great but no better than the best Apple and Windows laptops. It has software that can be updated all the time, but so can (and are) Mac OS and Windows. It provides the ability to sign in with a single account on any device and instantly have your stuff wherever you want it. But Mac OS and Windows 8 do that too and are doing it better all the time.

Chromebooks as their original pitch are awesome, because they're cheap and "disposable" (in their own words) web browsing devices that can do a lot of what people need. This isn't something like that, in any way whatsoever. It uses the same parts as a laptop, it's more expensive than comparable laptops, while doing less than a laptop with only promises that the future might make them more competitive with what their competitors already have today.

And The Verge is just lapping it up.

I don't hate Google products. I hate this product. I don't care if it's an attack on Windows. I care that it's a horrible attempt at an attack on Windows.

I just don't see what this "payoff" is that they're attempting to hit. There's nothing special about this device. It has the exact same components as countless other devices. It has build quality that's great but no better than the best Apple and Windows laptops. It has software that can be updated all the time, but so can (and are) Mac OS and Windows. It provides the ability to sign in with a single account on any device and instantly have your stuff wherever you want it. But Mac OS and Windows 8 do that too and are doing it better all the time.

Chromebooks as their original pitch are awesome, because they're cheap and "disposable" (in their own words) web browsing devices that can do a lot of what people need. This isn't something like that, in any way whatsoever. It uses the same parts as a laptop, it's more expensive than comparable laptops, while doing less than a laptop with only promises that the future might make them more competitive with what their competitors already have today.

nah. they said that no one should buy it because it doesn't make any sense at $1400. well, they said that people with $2800 dollars should buy one, AND a $1400 laptop. they loved the hardware, and hope that in the future it might be a valid replacement for a laptop, but even they clearly conceded that it isn't.

It has the exact same components as other devices? Which Windows device or Mac has a screen at similar size, resolution and touch capability?

The "payoff" is that the Pixel could be the first device to make a high resolution touchscreen work well on a laptop. The Windows Store is basically irrelevant, the Windows desktop is still struggling with DPI scaling issues, and there aren't many touch optimized Windows desktop apps. I might be wrong, but I don't think there are any touchscreen Windows 8 laptops with resolution higher than 1080P.

IMO Surface fails as a tablet (too heavy, too expensive, few good modern apps, aspect ratio is horrible for portrait) and as a laptop (screen too small, storage too small). At least the Pixel is a really good browser, which is where most people spend their time.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
It has the exact same components as other devices? Which Windows device or Mac has a screen at similar size, resolution and touch capability?

The "payoff" is that the Pixel could be the first device to make a high resolution touchscreen work well on a laptop. The Windows Store is basically irrelevant, the Windows desktop is still struggling with DPI scaling issues, and there aren't many touch optimized Windows desktop apps. I might be wrong, but I don't think there are any touchscreen Windows 8 laptops with resolution higher than 1080P.

IMO Surface fails as a tablet (too heavy, too expensive, few good modern apps, aspect ratio is horrible for portrait) and as a laptop (screen too small, storage too small). At least the Pixel is a really good browser, which is where most people spend their time.

Wow, so much bs in one statement. There are tons of high res touchscreen devices out there and the fact that the best you could say about the Pixel is that it has a really good browser. Pleeeeze.

m0dus

Banned

Erm, sorry, regardless of who the poster works for, it doesn't change the fact the pixel is far too overpriced for what it is, and is not in the same league as the surface in terms of usability and capability.

giga

Most reviewers have said they don't care much for the touch capability. I don't see the use for it either for the laptop form factor when you have a large, excellent trackpad instead.

So excluding the basically inessential touchscreen, the 13" MBP Retina would fall into the same category, but with much better specifications.

RE: DPI scaling. Apart from text, the web (and thus, the Pixel) faces the same issues. The majority of sites out there don't have high DPI resources and aren't optimized for touch.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Still wondering if anyone can help me figure outg how to make sure flash works on all the sites that I visit.

I keep getting the X in a box and no ability to play flash. Thanks guys

iFootball

Still wondering if anyone can help me figure outg how to make sure flash works on all the sites that I visit.

I keep getting the X in a box and no ability to play flash. Thanks guys

You should take a look at this article; it explains why you can't see flash on some sites with the "Modern UI" IE, and what options you have to overcome this limitation

Well, here I am with a Surface Pro and a typecover. I figured I culd give it a try and decide during the 30 day return period if I really need a Cintiq instead.

Raven77

Anyone else using Art Rage and having a delay? Every stroke I make appears about a quarter inch from where I begin the stroke.

This also occurs when just dragging menu bars around so its not specific to a certain brush, etc. Its within the entire application.

Any fix for this?

Anyone else using Art Rage and having a delay? Every stroke I make appears about a quarter inch from where I begin the stroke.

This also occurs when just dragging menu bars around so its not specific to a certain brush, etc. Its within the entire application.

Any fix for this?
happened to me for awhile then I put my battery to High Performance. no prob

Schlep

It's so nice going on business trips and not having to deal with the annoyance of taking a laptop out at security and put it in its own bin. That is all.

Alx

It's so nice going on business trips and not having to deal with the annoyance of taking a laptop out at security and put it in its own bin. That is all.

On my last flights, they had me take it out of my bag just like laptops... :/ But at least they didn't ask me to boot it up or remove the battery or whatever (they're still doing that, right ?)

iFootball

On my last flights, they had me take it out of my bag just like laptops... :/ But at least they didn't ask me to boot it up or remove the battery or whatever (they're still doing that, right ?)
My problem yesterday at the airport security checkpoint was when the TSA guy asked "Sir, is this a laptop or a tablet?"... Oh god not again,,. :p

I used my Pro yesterday to sketch up some database table relationships and some form designs in one note. I've not really used the stylus much with one note, and I have to say it was bliss. That's a task that having a stylus greatly improves. Being able to move and copy sections of my sketches quickly and easily, as well as being able to quickly erase things when I need to rethink... previously I've used a white board for such things, this is so much better.

I used my Pro yesterday to sketch up some database table relationships and some form designs in one note. I've not really used the stylus much with one note, and I have to say it was bliss. That's a task that having a stylus greatly improves. Being able to move and copy sections of my sketches quickly and easily, as well as being able to quickly erase things when I need to rethink... previously I've used a white board for such things, this is so much better.

Did you use the metro or desktop version?

I have noticed no matter what game I play on the surface that is supposed to run smoothly (skyrim, mark of ninja, dmc) all run above 35-50 FPS then after 10 minutes of solid play drop to the teens. Is my surface messed up? Or is that normal? Its not like the framerate fluctuates that much, it typically will drop to 17-22 and stay there even after going bank to the area where I had higher frames. I feel like my surface is messed up.

I have noticed no matter what game I play on the surface that is supposed to run smoothly (skyrim, mark of ninja, dmc) all run above 35-50 FPS then after 10 minutes of solid play drop to the teens. Is my surface messed up? Or is that normal? Its not like the framerate fluctuates that much, it typically will drop to 17-22 and stay there even after going bank to the area where I had higher frames. I feel like my surface is messed up.

Throttling due to heat maybe?

That's what it sounds like..

Returners

So I got a new Surface Pro from Microsoft due to the camera problems and I didn't like this pen.

Looked around and found this command instead of the normal one you run through the calibration screen.

Win+R and then run this:
Code:
tabcal lincal novalidate XGridPts=10,60,110,360,660,960,1260,1560,1860,1910 YGridPts=10,60,170,330,490,650,810,970,1020,1070

Pen works much more accurately now. And doesn't have the normal "pointer" that was in the original calibration.

Returners

Is there a way to recalibrate the pen? My onscreen pointer is just slightly off and it drives me crazy.

see my post.

If you're looking for a less accurate version, about 16 touch calibration points, do a search in from the charms bar "calibrate". It'll come up.

Many people have left comments here on our blog asking about Surface Pro availability in other countries beyond the U.S. and Canada. We are happy to be able to tell you that Surface Pro will be heading to Australia, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, New Zealand and the United Kingdom in the coming months. We will follow-up with another blog post with more details.
http://blog.surface.com/b/surface/a...14698&surface&TWITTER&Outgoing&20130228170337

"coming months". Argh. I want it now. :( I hope the other countries benefit from the problems, people have found.

Haklong

I don't get that anymore. Are you leaving it connected to a power supply and making sure that the power is set to at least balanced? When I have it set to power saver the games run poorly.

I don't get that anymore. Are you leaving it connected to a power supply and making sure that the power is set to at least balanced? When I have it set to power saver the games run poorly.

Now that I think about it, most of the time the power supply is not connected. Maybe Ill try to game with it with the PSU connected. Did you have to tweak any settings like fan speed or power management?

Haklong

Now that I think about it, most of the time the power supply is not connected. Maybe Ill try to game with it with the PSU connected. Did you have to tweak any settings like fan speed or power management?

None at all. I have the power plan set to balanced and the power supply connected. If I set the power plan to Power Saver the performance takes a (of course).

iavi

Hopefully MS refreshes the Pros with Haswell asap. That plus them working out whatever little kinks that are present now are going to make for an incredible V2.

I'm waiting till then

elektrixx

Banned
In "the coming months"?

I've waited too long just to hear that. Fuck them, I'm gonna get a Lenovo or something. What a bunch of idiots.

eastmen

Banned
Hopefully MS refreshes the Pros with Haswell asap. That plus them working out whatever little kinks that are present now are going to make for an incredible V2.

I'm waiting till then

Haswell wont even hit till late june and thats supposed to be the desktop line. Ullv chips will release in the summer. So I would expect the haswell pro in the fall earliest

In "the coming months"?

I've waited too long just to hear that. Fuck them, I'm gonna get a Lenovo or something. What a bunch of idiots.

Yes idiots who created a product eith a strong enough demand that they still cant suppy the launch teritory

In "the coming months"?

You know, Microsoft really is in a pickle with the Surface. People were disappointed in them with their lack of Surface marketing and stock. Surface is a good enough product to sell really well with decent marketing. But I think that they simply can't do that, they'll eat other OEM's.

Alx

Girlfriend got me a surface for birthday :O!! Should I use a type cover or touch cover? She got me the type one.

Keep the type, it's great. As functional as a real keyboard, while not being cumbersome at all (I never remove my type cover from my Surface, just fold it in the back when you're not using it).
The only benefit of the touch cover would be having the choice of several colorful designs...

hwalker84

You know, Microsoft really is in a pickle with the Surface. People were disappointed in them with their lack of Surface marketing and stock. Surface is a good enough product to sell really well with decent marketing. But I think that they simply can't do that, they'll eat other OEM's.
The other problem is their commercials are absolutely ridiculous. They don't tell the consumer a damn thing. My wife saw the new Pro commercial and after it was over I said "Do you know that's a totally different product than my RT?". She didn't have a clue.

Keep the type, it's great. As functional as a real keyboard, while not being cumbersome at all (I never remove my type cover from my Surface, just fold it in the back when you're not using it).
The only benefit of the touch cover would be having the choice of several colorful designs...

and that awesome track pad. and the fact you can wash it with water.

Coldsnap

Yea, this type cover feels really nice. Although I do wish it had more of magnetic snap when closed. Gravity swings it open when closed.

The other problem is their commercials are absolutely ridiculous. They don't tell the consumer a damn thing. My wife saw the new Pro commercial and after it was over I said "Do you know that's a totally different product than my RT?". She didn't have a clue.

I had no problem with the commercials until it became apparent that that's ALL they were going to do.

Do they even have any ads (other than YouTube vids) that show off the actual FUNCTIONS of the OS/Surface? Why don't we have ads that show off how it can be used as a drawing device? How useful it can be for students? How it can hook up to TVs and use multiple accessories? How SkyDrive storage is used with Office applications and the desktop?

MS is so fucking frustrating. They have great phones and devices but have no fucking clue how to market them. Apple's ads that show off the functionality and apps are great, just copy them now instead of waiting a few years.

Top Bottom