• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surfer girl nonsense, resistance and killzone fans go away please

xaosslug

Borys said:
Oh great people threw my name on the blog:

damngaffers587.png

Damn you gaffers!

sad_shakefist.gif

yes, yes 'people' indeed. *wink*

Blimblim

The Inside Track
FirewalkR said:
Sometimes "she" seems too knowledgeable to be someone working in a magazine. What other positions in the industry might she be in, that would give her access to such information? Some kind of project approval position for one of the platforms? But that would give access just to info for a specific console, right?...

My guess is it's a joint venture between phil "sexybald" harrison and what's his name that's now in Peter Moore's previous position.
You'd be surprised by what people know in magazines. It's really almost sickening how much stuff they are sitting on until they are allowed to publish it.
Also it's a very small world where everyone knows everyone, so juicy (non)rumors spread like wild fire, even if they never (until now that is) went out of this small circle of people.
And sometimes one interview or studio visit is enough to get one good contact at a company that will trust you enough to talk of stuff he's not supposed to months if not years after you first met him. Believe me, and I'm supposed to be one of these untrustworthy online journos who'd kill their own mother to get a few more page hits.

She does seem to know (or pretend to know, depending on your point of view) a lot about what goes on inside of Ubisoft. She doesn't seem to have much love for their inner-workings either judging from some of her posts concerning them.

Maybe a pissed off employee (Patrice....is it you?!), could be a freelancer which could explain her ties across the industry.

Sean

Banned
1) Activision hopes you like Spider-Man, the company is producing two further web-slinging titles in addition to this fall's ultimate Red vs. Black, one follows our wall-crawling friend as he teams up with Wolverine for amazing some reason and the other I don't know about but has to be spectacular. Originality! Excelsior!

2) Raven Software is working on some action-RPG sequel set in the Marvel universe. Originality! Excelsior!

3) Treyarch's second non-franchise, non-license title since being acquired by Activision, a very cool epic and unique PS360 action-adventure affair titled Black Lotus that was about two years away, has been canceled like Treyarch's first non-franchise, non-license title since being acquired by Activision, which was the original and very cool Dead Rush. Originality! Excelsior!

4) Infinity Ward has begun working on Call of Duty 6. Originality! Excelsior!

5) Crytek is overseeing, but not developing the console versions of Crysis.

6) What can one expect from Ubidays?
Darkworks' Alive (which I have heard described as "extraordinary"), AC2 confirmation, GRAW3, Ancel, Raynal, the new Prince of Persia, casual stuff, Heroes, a few other things, and possibly Soma.

7) 2 Days to Vegas looks really bad, the premise of Eight Days with the gameplay of The Getaway (the gameplay was certainly not the reason I played through that), except with inferior versions of both.

http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2008/01/face-front-true-believer.html

harSon

Banned
Sean said:
1) Activision hopes you like Spider-Man, the company is producing two further web-slinging titles in addition to this fall's ultimate Red vs. Black, one follows our wall-crawling friend as he teams up with Wolverine for amazing some reason and the other I don't know about but has to be spectacular. Originality! Excelsior!

2) Raven Software is working on some action-RPG sequel set in the Marvel universe. Originality! Excelsior!

3) Treyarch's second non-franchise, non-license title since being acquired by Activision, a very cool epic and unique PS360 action-adventure affair titled Black Lotus that was about two years away, has been canceled like Treyarch's first non-franchise, non-license title since being acquired by Activision, which was the original and very cool Dead Rush. Originality! Excelsior!

Darkworks' Alive (which I have heard described as "extraordinary"), AC2 confirmation, GRAW3, Ancel, Raynal, the new Prince of Persia, casual stuff, Heroes, a few other things, and possibly Soma.

7) 2 Days to Vegas looks really bad, the premise of Eight Days with the gameplay of The Getaway (the gameplay was certainly not the reason I played through that), except with inferior versions of both.

http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2008/01/face-front-true-believer.html

Yeah... nearly 10 announcements? :lol

harSon

Banned
You guys actually think Ubisoft would drop so many announcements in a single announcement? I've never seen a publisher/developer announce so much over a few events let alone a single 2-day event :lol

butsomuch

I can't wait for a new project from Frederick Raynal (original Alone in the Dark, Little Big Adventure 1-2). I heard he is currently working as the creative director at Ubisoft Montpellier.

she must have been reading PSU :lol

Blimblim

The Inside Track
harSon said:
You guys actually think Ubisoft would drop so many announcements in a single announcement? I've never seen a publisher/developer announce so much over a few events let alone a single 2-day event :lol
I don't think they will announce/unveil all of their upcoming titles at Ubidays (not that I've heard about all the games listed here), but we can expect new games to be announced in the next weeks until the event, and some more at the event itself. After all except Vegas 2 it's been a long time since Ubisoft announced something new.

Sean

Banned
harSon said:

A lot of those games we already know about (Alive, Heroes, PoP) and the others (AC2, GRAW3) are obviously in development. I don't think all those games will be showcased at the event or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them at least mentioned.

Kafel

Banned
Why Conviction isn't even in the list ?

Is it planned to be revealed at another event (GDC, E3 ...) or the game really is in trouble ?

Borys

Banned
I'm actually starting to believe her but:

Sean said:

No shit.

That's new and hard to fact check.

Obtaining info about cancelled stuff is easier than obtaining info about current, NDA-ed stuff.

No shit.

She is bouncing from one "fact" to the another. One week she says one thing about Crysis, second week something different.

Not buying it.

No shit. Heroes of Might and Magic 6 makes my day, though.

First GAF posts a thread about 2DtV, day later SurferGirls posts about the same thing. Like a clockwork.

So for this update I give her 1/10.

The 1 point is for Heroes 6 info.

Nothing unexpected, nothing really worth leaking.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Kafel said:
Why Conviction isn't even in the list ?

Is it planned to be revealed at another event (GDC, E3 ...) or the game really is in trouble ?
That list is only about unannounced games.

aku:jiki

harSon said:
You've never seen the industry without an E3 or equivalent either (unless you're like 50). Publishers will be coming up with new ideas in the years to come. This might be one of them.

I do believe more in BlimBlim's idea of Ubi having their own little E3 with the weeks before it being announcathon, but that could also be what she means. This far in advance, the weeks preceding the event would count as "Ubidays" because it's the same ad campaign.

Borys said:
First GAF posts a thread about 2DtV, day later SurferGirls posts about the same thing. Like a clockwork.
What? GAF having a "THERE WILL BE PICS ON MONDAY OMG I WONDER WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE OMG BULLSHOTS" thread is the same as her posting about having seen it? You're really reaching to find a connection in this thread, Borys. It's rather silly.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

Judging from the newly released screens, she's right about this one.

aku:jiki said:
You've never seen the industry without an E3 or equivalent either (unless you're like 50). Publishers will be coming up with new ideas in the years to come. This might be one of them.

I do believe more in BlimBlim's idea of Ubi having their own little E3 with the weeks before it being announcathon, but that could also be what she means. This far in advance, the weeks preceding the event would count as "Ubidays" because it's the same ad campaign.

What? GAF having a "THERE WILL BE PICS ON MONDAY OMG I WONDER WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE OMG BULLSHOTS" thread is the same as her posting about having seen it
? You're really reaching to find a connection in this thread, Borys. It's rather silly.
There's a thread with actual screens of the game on here.

Borys

Banned
aku:jiki said:
What? GAF having a "THERE WILL BE PICS ON MONDAY OMG I WONDER WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE OMG BULLSHOTS" thread is the same as her posting about having seen it? You're really reaching to find a connection in this thread, Borys. It's rather silly.

Pics got leaked earlier and GAF reaction was spot on what you wrote. This happened BEFORE SurferGirl's blog entry. And I'm not talking about today's thread.

Borys said:
She is bouncing from one "fact" to the another. One week she says one thing about Crysis, second week something different.

This is what's bothering you most about her rumors isn't it? She's never said Crytek was developing Crysis for consoles. All she's said that it's coming to consoles. So she isn't going back and forth.

aku:jiki

Borys said:
Pics got leaked earlier and GAF reaction was spot on what you wrote. This happened BEFORE SurferGirl's blog entry. And I'm not talking about today's thread.
Link that thread then? I can't find it in a search.

Borys

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
This is what's bothering you most about her rumors isn't it? She's never said Crytek was developing Crysis for consoles. All she's said that it's coming to consoles. So she isn't going back and forth.

Yes. I'd like more consistency in her rumours. Other than that I am slowly becoming a believer.

tino

Banned
I took a look at the non-game posts, it stikes me that she has alot of free time to post stuff. i wouldn't be surprised the blog are being run by two or more "writers."

Although I can't figure out the motive. Has any magazine besides the blogs run surfergirl's rumor? Maybe its a way for the magazine to leak some rumor in their favorite without pissing off the publishers?

Sean

Banned
1) That EA Wii Balance Board title is Boogie II, which is not as bad as Boogie.

2) Mad Doc Software is working on a new entry in the SWAT series for PS360 and computing machines.

3) Have you ever seen millions of dollars used to market console DLC? Something called GTAIV will change that.

4) GRIN's AAA science-fiction film tie-in coming this year is about this journey in the stars.

http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2008/01/steve-forrest.html

Penguin

Sean said:

2) Mad Doc Software is working on a new entry in the SWAT series for PS360 and computing machines.

3) Have you ever seen millions of dollars used to market console DLC? Something called GTAIV will change that.

4) GRIN's AAA science-fiction film tie-in coming this year is about this journey in the stars.

Jesus they are making a sequel to Boogie?
Don't you need like a game first?

Sean said:

Glad to see that 50mil put to use, I'm sure every possible GTA customer will know about the additional DLC on the 360.

I don't think the exclusive DLC puts Microsoft at an advantage. It's coming out 3-6 months after the game launches and after the huge Worldwide marketing campaign.

What are they going to do? "GTA IV on PS3, GTA IV with bonus content on XBOX 360 in the future" Under the assumption that some money is spent on advertising when the 360 exclusive version comes out- it's still going to remind PS3 owners that the game is out. Word of mouth is the most powerful tool GTA has IMO.

Even then the only people who will care are people who read blogs.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Visualante said:
I don't think the exclusive DLC puts Microsoft at an advantage. It's coming out 3-6 months after the game launches and after the huge Worldwide marketing campaign.

What are they going to do? "GTA IV on PS3, GTA IV with bonus content on XBOX 360 in the future"

Even then the only people who will care are people who read blogs.
GTA IV will be marketed only for the 360, just like AC and Burnout Paradise are only marketed only for PS3.
And from what I heard it will be a *very* big marketing push, think Halo 3 there.

Blimblim said:
GTA IV will be marketed only for the 360, just like AC and Burnout Paradise are only marketed only for PS3.
And from what I heard it will be a *very* big marketing push, think Halo 3 there.
I'm one of the few who really questions the value of these adverts. Simpsons ones were PlayStation branded and none of them did especially well. Even the PS2 version.

I don't think PS3 owners have selective eye sight. Even if it's heavily 360 branded the only thing that will give MS the clear edge is some kind of exclusive bundle like PES was.
That would really kill Sony's hardware sales pre and post launch.

Blimblim said:
I don't understand this logic. Such a move could obviously sabotage PS3 sales. Why the hell would Rockstar want to do something like that?

Defuser

Mr_Furious said:
I don't understand this logic. Such a move could obviously sabotage PS3 sales. Why the hell would Rockstar want to do something like that?
Rockstar isn't the one making the decision. Take2 is Microsoft's 50 million bitch for GTA4 only.

Borys

Banned
Mr_Furious said:

R* isn't pulling the strings here, mate.

snoopers

I am multitalented
Mr_Furious said:

Marketing costs a lot, if MS financed the TV ads it could be a good compensation. Not that it wouldn't sell better on 360 regardless...

Also, PS3 adverts didn't seem to hurt the 360 sales of AC that badly.

Blimblim said:

That would be a colossal waste of money considering Grand Theft Auto is still widely recognized as a Playstation brand.

Treyarch's second non-franchise, non-license title since being acquired by Activision, a very cool epic and unique PS360 action-adventure affair titled Black Lotus that was about two years away, has been canceled like Treyarch's first non-franchise, non-license title since being acquired by Activision, which was the original and very cool Dead Rush. Originality! Excelsior!

Makes sense. They should stick to being Activision's "Quick make a sequel to.." studio

Visualante said:
It depends on the DLC. If it's something very big in scope, let's say like adding a whole big area with a news story and so on, it could be HUGE. And obviously if it would then come out on disk exclusively on 360 as a standalone package, it would be huger.

I think that even a HL2 Episodes-like DLC exclusive to 360 would be a very big deal.

Visualante said:
I don't think PS3 owners have selective eye sight. Even if it's heavily 360 branded the only thing that will give MS the clear edge is some kind of exclusive bundle like PES was.
Hint: there are many peolple out there who still havent jumped to next-gen

pswii60

Absinthe said:
That would be a colossal waste of money considering Grand Theft Auto is still widely recognized as a Playstation brand.

Eh? Isn't that exactly why it wouldn't be a colossal waste of money, considering MS are paying for it?

Would you like to buy some brain cells?

Spider_Jerusalem said:
It depends on the DLC. If it's something very big in scope, let's say like adding a whole big area with a news story and so on, it could be HUGE. And obviously if it would then come out on disk exclusively on 360 as a standalone package, it would be huger.

I think that even a HL2 Episodes-like DLC exclusive to 360 would be a very big deal.

Hint: there are many peolple out there who still havent jumped to next-gen
Correct, and a 360 branded advert is not going to make them go "i don't want a PS3 because the advert said 360"

A ready made boxed 360 GTA bundle would.

Top Bottom