• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survival: Shadows of Katmai |OT| Survival Horror that's worth more than 8/10!

Tizoc

Sorry for asking such a stupid question, but I want to show this game to my friend via a trailer; will the Mad World one raise his hype levels to epic proportions?

More pics added for hype!

4e6221c232e3153cd05fa5181433f9af1bc840b6.jpg

GrayFoxPL

Neuromancer said:
I think it's mostly taking the piss but some of us are genuinely curious about the game.

There's like whole second of gameplay footage in the trailer.

Guy climbing up a ledge.
Guy running from wolves.
Guy riding a dog sledge.

I don't know what to think. Guess hoping this will be good is futile.

IMPRESSIONS MOTHER FUCKERS:

Shit is awesome/bananas.

REAL IMPRESSIONS:

Graphics are surprisingly good, some jank here and there, but some snow-capped vistas are pretty detailed/impressive, snow effects are also pretty well done. It's no Uncharted, but it doesn't need to be, cuz Logan James is cooler than Nathan Drake. Character models are pretty decent throughout, but I've only met two other people, and one dead frozen dude in the snow.

Basically you follow the story mode, and you do platforming to get to the next area, jump from ledge to ledge, to get to the next story point, along the way, your finding collectibles (journals from a bunch of desperate prospectors from 70 years ago who are turning on each other during a blizzard) and fighting shitloads of asshole animals who want to kill you even though you haven't done anything to them.

The platforming is not hard per se, but it doesn't have as many super obvious/durr/dumb visual cues as PoP games or Uncharted has, like scrapes and markings and ledges. You definitely have to feel around and try some stuff to know what you can and can't climb onto.

Aiming is where it gets weird, you actually use the control stick to move your crosshair across the screen while James fires and shoots. It takes some getting used to, and it would be better if it had standard RE4/Gears aiming, but then you'd blow away any animal that gets close in less than a second. So even though this method is slower, you have enough time to adjust your aim, as time slows down because you have "focus time" and it shows each animals internal organs so you can make a killer shot, like their lungs/heart/asshole.

Blood splatters when you shoot these areas, and you'll often get 6 wolves attacking at you at one time, and I've fought two grizzlies at once without even thinking twice about it. You have an adorable Huskie dog friend called Togo, (but I call him Ghost) who distracts the animals to give you more time to blow their brains out.

You have a pistol, semi automatic rifle, shot gun, flare gun, and sniper rifle. Haven't unlocked the shotty or sniper yet.

You also have melee attacks and a dodge roll to get out of the way of rampaging animals. Watta bunch of dicks.

The story is actually kinda fun so far, there's a crazy old guy who sees things and thinks there's demons running around the mountain, and you literally have to stop the t-virus from killing everyone in the nearby town. There's a geneticist involved, who's tasking you with retrieving vials of the cure to the virus, so you can safe the entire village!

Voice acting is also pretty decent for this type of game.

The more points you get for getting killshots, finding all the collectibles and not taking damage gets tallied up, so you can unlock more scenarios and modes for the multiplayer/co-op stuff, which I have not yet tried.

There's also a point where you cut open a moose carcass, roll a prone body inside, and then Logan James leaves the person unconscious inside the carcass for hours.

The game is 39.99.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Is this the new Deadly Premonition?

Janky as fuck, but compelling awesome at the same time?

Nemesis_

The only person who has given impressions is the one who made the OT.

And I'm not sure if serious.

If this truly is survival horror, then I'm really eager to try it out. BUT I AM ALSO POOR RIGHT NOW

chifanpoe

One of my co-workers picked this up on the Wii yesterday and played it for a few hours last night. Said it was not bad. They said the play control was not bad, has some strange camera issues but it has a lot of crazy "uncharted" like cliff climbing and a pretty interesting story so far.

Story mode is very short though, around 4 hours if you're playing on medium. But that was kind of a breeze to get through, hard seems much more enjoyable, and you're given alot less time to react to things, so I'd imagine that would extend it to 5-6 hours the first time through.

The on rails co-op/ multplayer modes are ABSOLUTELY CRAZY! It's like an accelerated story mode on crack/drugs.

It's exactly like a Sega-style light gun game, as animals and shit are coming at you every fucking 5 seconds, and you constantly have to switch between a shotgun for groups of enemies, like murders of crows coming at your goddamn face, or switching to your rifle for cougars/bears/moose.

If you don't, you wind up with a shit score, and this classic buy annoying sounding announcer keeps telling you that you're shitty at hunting. These modes are alot harder too, because you take way, way more damage.

GrayFoxPL

Thanks for impressions Criminal Upper!

Sounds like crazy fuckpack of fun.

This can be played with regular Dual Shock, right?

GrayFoxPL said:
Thanks for impressions Criminal Upper!

Sounds like crazy fuckpack of fun.

This can be played with regular Dual Shock, right?
Apparently yes.

What about Move support? Or is it only the top shot thingy?

Neuromancer said:
Apparently yes.

What about Move support? Or is it only the top shot thingy?

I couldn't find a PS3 version in store anywhere. So I don't know if you can use the move regularly, or does it fit in the Top Shot gun shell. Really unclear about that.

The 360 version of the gun is completely wireless, and is a full gun with electronics and shit inside.

Melchiah

Synopsis

YOU ARE LOGAN JAMES - Adventurer, murderer, and all-around bad-ass. While driving a huge plane all by himself, God attempts to stop LOGAN JAMES by throwing a bolt of lightning at him. God failed as Logan immediately crawls out of the burning wreckage...and over the roar of the flames, screams at the sky and swears vengeance.

That's the stupidest plot device I've ever heard. Why couldn't they just use some natural accident as a reason for the crash?

That being said, I'm somewhat interested in the game.

Radogol

Melchiah said:
That's the stupidest plot device I've ever heard. Why couldn't they just use some natural accident as a reason for the crash?
Natural? Like, say, a lightning strike?

I'm lost. This seems different enough than the 3 other Cabela games that came out on the same day, can someone do a comparison chart for me?

AlphaTwo00 said:
I'm lost. This seems different enough than the 3 other Cabela games that came out on the same day, can someone do a comparison chart for me?

Dangerous Hunts 2012 is a sim-like hunting game.

Cabela's Adventure Camp is a mini-game compilation for kids/babbys.

Shadows of Katmai is a bomb-ass 3rd person shooter where you murder animals while simultaneously being eaten by them.

So I played it and beat it.

You know what? It wasn't bad. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad.

All humor aside, your dude is in a pretty shitty situation pretty much throughout the game. He's not so much an invincible badass as he is a hapless idiot who has terrible luck. He has some pretty decent lines too. I actually liked the story; it was simple and to the point, without the myriad twists, turns and betrayals game writers who think they're really clever usually throw into games.

Just from a platforming/combat against animals/wilderness perspective, this game kind of reminds me of a Tomb Raider game. In fact I'd compare it favorable to the Uncharted games, sure it's not as pretty but you don't have to shoot 800 dudes in the face. Instead you're shooting 800 animals in the face, which is somewhat refreshing.

I'd say if you have any interest in the game, $20 would be a fair price.

My only real complaint is the fucking birds that attack you when you're hanging precariously from ledges. They're not fun to fight, just annoying, and it happens pretty much every level.

In the fantasy world in which I live, I'd love to see a sequel set in a somewhat open world where you really do have to scrounge for food and shelter with a day night cycle.

So I played it and beat it.

You know what? It wasn't bad. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad.

All humor aside, your dude is in a pretty shitty situation pretty much throughout the game. He's not so much an invincible badass as he is a hapless idiot who has terrible luck. He has some pretty decent lines too. I actually liked the story; it was simple and to the point, without the myriad twists, turns and betrayals game writers who think they're really clever usually throw into games.

Just from a platforming/combat against animals/wilderness perspective, this game kind of reminds me of a Tomb Raider game. In fact I'd compare it favorable to the Uncharted games, sure it's not as pretty but you don't have to shoot 800 dudes in the face. Instead you're shooting 800 animals in the face, which is somewhat refreshing.

I'd say if you have any interest in the game, $20 would be a fair price.

My only real complaint is the fucking birds that attack you when you're hanging precariously from ledges. They're not fun to fight, just annoying, and it happens pretty much every level.

In the fantasy world in which I live, I'd love to see a sequel set in a somewhat open world where you really do have to scrounge for food and shelter with a day night cycle.

PRO TIP, SON!

Just climb/jump past them! It took me a while to figure out, but if you simply continue on whatever path your moving along, the birds always go away after just a few steps/shimmies.

PRO TIP, SON!

Just climb/jump past them! It took me a while to figure out, but if you simply continue on whatever path your moving along, the birds always go away after just a few steps/shimmies.

Yeah I ended up doing that after a while as well. It's still annoying though, I am mostly mentioning it so the devs will know not to make the same mistake next time!

Top Bottom