• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SVC:Chaos. Why should I NOT buy it this week?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
When it first appeared on the arcade scene, I paid mild attention to the detractors merely glossing through the bulletpoint lists of complaints, it was also one of the few late Geo releases that I didn't exactly swarm to the emulation scene to test out. So I really am pretty ignorant to the game quality aside from the 'general' verdict repeatedly pushed by the l33t. (ie. it suxxorz!)

Been playing the demo on OXM quite a bit lately and though I can certainly understand why it wouldn't make top billing on most lists for best brawlers, this is far from bad. It's fast, it flows really nicely, and even the pre-fight taunt scripts make for an entertaining read. If anything, it fairs much better than that KoF 2k/2k1 dual-pack. Plus Demitri just looks SOOOO :D:D:D:D

Aside from telling me the backgrounds REALLY suck(which they do!) what exactly makes this such a shit game again? Balancing issues to be aware of? Infinite juggles I'll never figure out how to do without a faq?

belgurdo

Banned
Brandon F said:
Aside from telling me the backgrounds REALLY suck(which they do!) what exactly makes this such a shit game again? Balancing issues to be aware of? Infinite juggles I'll never figure out how to do without a faq?

I know that's why people at fighter forums hate it, although outside of some minor control issues (Capcom guys obviously don't play 100% like they do in their original games) and overpowered supers I have no problems with it

ManaByte

Gold Member
I played the demo and thought it blew goats. It was like some kind of fan-made hack, especially compared to Capcom SNK 2 and Third Strike.

Brandon F

Yea, $50 is way too hefty for this game. I had assumed it was gonna be $30 all this time until I double checked the price. Ouch, that alone is good enough reason to hold off for now.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Never played it myself, but among tourament fighting game players SvC Chaos is generally regarded as super unbalanced shit.

And yes, it's $50.

EDIT: The players that consider this unbalanced shit play MvC2 in tournaments without problems. Just for a frame of reference.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
No infinite juggles that I know of, but the most notorious infinites, which are for Geese and Zero, were removed from the PS2 version, and I'm sure the same holds true for the Xbox version.

I don't really want to get into the SvC Chaos argument, but in a nutshell, many feel it's a broken fighter full of problems. I've always enjoyed playing it despite its flaws, and I notice it's popular at the (few) arcades (that are left!) around here. I've also gotten a number of customers at work who, surprisingly to me, love the game and can't wait to get it on XBox; that's a big difference from internet peeps that do nothing but hate on this game.

One thing I really want to know is whether or not Athena (and Red Arremer) will be unplayable when playing online. Athena in particular is UBER CHEAP and all of her special moves are essentially super moves. These bosses were only made playable in the home versions but they need to be banned from online play, otherwise it really will be "broken" with the bosses fully selectable.

Brandon, does the music sound like the Neo-geo version (I.E. blah), or has it been arranged in any way? I'm hoping that SNK Playmore added something to the XBox version from the PS2 port (besides the color edit mode). Online play is why I'm buying this title though, as I already own it on PS2, owned it on Neo-Geo, and have had it playable already on my modded XBox since last year anyway.

I am surprised at the price....$49.99??! I figured it would be $30.

Lyte Edge

MarkRyan-IGN said:
EDIT: The players that consider this unbalanced shit play MvC2 in tournaments without problems. Just for a frame of reference.

I bring this up all the time when talking about SvC Chaos, and the general response is that MvC2 still has more to it, as people have found new ways around/to exploit the broken game play. Super-cheap bosses aside, the SvC Chaos roster is still a hell of lot more balanced than the MvC2 roster, of which serious "tourney" (or people that never play in tournaments but are the same mentality thanks to the internet :p) players seem to pick from the same five characters to use over and over again.

Again, SvC Chaos is fun IMO; it's not to be taken seriously, but there's some nice characters in its cast to play with, and as long as the bosses aren't playable online, it should be fun for a while, until SF3 is released, anyway.

Brandon F

Music is pretty blah Lyte. Seems ripped from the MVS if I were to guess...

UNINSPIRED MAX SPEC!

Still, I'm having a decent amount of fun with it. Online play really is the selling point, not to mention that SFAC won't be out until Feb now??

Lyte Edge

Brandon F said:
Music is pretty blah Lyte. Seems ripped from the MVS if I were to guess...

UNINSPIRED MAX SPEC!

Still, I'm having a decent amount of fun with it. Online play really is the selling point, not to mention that SFAC won't be out until Feb now??

Yeah, if you're having fun with it, don't listen to the haters. :) But like I said, the bosses will make or break the online play, so you may want to wait and see what others say before purchasing.

Holy crap, I just realized I have yet to play GGXX #Reload online.

Brandon F

I'll wait until it hits $20 or so, Shiki, Demitri, Red Arremer, and others will convince me to snag it eventually.

Brandon F

Nice, I very much intended it even if it really wasn't all that good a pun.

Lyte Edge

Brandon F said:
I'll wait until it hits $20 or so, Shiki, Demitri, Red Arremer, and others will convince me to snag it eventually.

Is Demitri playable in the demo? You should do his super move that turns all the characters into females; some of them are pretty funny looking.

game is garbage...
i mean when *so many* attacks (i'm not talking just a few) that CLEARLY MISS count as hitting and attacks that CLEARLY HIT count as not hitting simply because of totally screwed up hitboxes, what's the point?

and people (but not me) play MVC2 because a decent amount of characters have enough broken shit that they cancel each other out, making a handful of characters playable instead of just 1 or 2...

people even respect games like smash bros over chaos simply because at least the game has a decent amount of balance and reliability...

Lyte Edge

AAaaanndd the hate train starts moving!

The Faceless Master said:
game is garbage...
i mean when *so many* attacks (i'm not talking just a few) that CLEARLY MISS count as hitting and attacks that CLEARLY HIT count as not hitting simply because of totally screwed up hitboxes, what's the point?

and people (but not me) play MVC2 because a decent amount of characters have enough broken shit that they cancel each other out, making a handful of characters playable instead of just 1 or 2...

Just 1 or 2? Naw. But I'm staying out of this. :)

Brandon F

Nah, you only get to play with Ryu, Chun-Li, Terry, and Mai in the demo. Not the most original choices.

However, you can fight up to two random opponents from the entire squad when you choose arcade mode.

Did I notice 'Evil Ken' in there?

Anyanka

I don't know about the Neo version, but I have the PS2 port and I liked some of the soundtrack. The selection theme, the music before the fights and some of the background music is pretty cool. I like the whole presentation of the game.

The game is fun. It's got a pretty good roster and feels nothing like Capcom's versus stuff, which is nice. I really like playing the Capcom characters just because it feels and looks like something new, instead of the Alpha versions which I am sick of. If you liked the demo and don't care about tournament play I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy it. I think most of the complaints are just from the tourney elite and those who just repeat what they hear from them.

And yes, there is an evil Ken. He's really cool. I love his fighting stance!

I think aside from the complaints already listed was the wonky collision detection at times and supposedly how broken the guard cancel forward step is. Which was designed to be keep the game at fast paced but instead makes everyone turtle hard and like less then a handful of characters with command grabs can stop it/fight against it.

Oh yeah almost forgot..
have fun losing super meter for whiffing throws at point blank range :p~

MvC2 is more balanced then you'd like to believe at high level play.

Lyte Edge

anotheriori said:
MvC2 is more balanced then you'd like to believe at high level play.

When everyone is using the same few characters? Sure. :p

mosaic

go eat paint
I don't think SVC Chaos is garbage, but I have to admit my time with it went from interest to boredom pretty quickly. The roster is great, and the Garou-esque sprites are cool, but the move selection and combos don't really feel intuitive--if that makes any sense--and some of the hit reactions look pretty sloppy. As others have said, sometimes you'll whiff with an attack, but it'll count as a hit. Sometimes, heck, the reaction doesn't jive with the angle or type of hit you just landed. Also, the stylistic choice to go with backgrounds done up in lifeless colors (grays, blues, sepia, anything anti-color) didn't work for me.

I'd buy it for $30 perhaps... $20 for sure. But not at $50. Heck, at least KOF Maximum Impact comes with a DVD and Terry's hat for that price.

SvC would have rocked if they got rid of the 'real' fighters.

Stick with the mascots.

Sammy vs Capcom will be fucking awesome btw.

Lyte Edge

MrAngryFace said:
SvC would have rocked if they got rid of the 'real' fighters.

Stick with the mascots.

Uh, the mascots for all these fighting games ARE the "real fighters." :) But really, as much as I'd love seeing Less Ryu/Ken/Kyo/Terry and more Tabasa/Hugo/Shiki/Earthquake, it's never going to happen. :\

(Unless you mean more characters like Mega Man, Zero, and such....I'd definitely love to see that. I would have MUCH preferred Capcom Fighting Jam to have a roster of characters like Zero, Jill, Vanessa, Viewtiful Joe, Strider, and the like instead of just being "Street Fighter vs. Warzard Vs. Darkstalkers."

MrAngryFace said:
Sammy vs Capcom will be fucking awesome btw.

If it actually really is coming at the point, that is.

I just consider mascots to be the alien from metal slug, zero from Zero, I dunno, ryu n stuff is fun but boring. Plus they play SF2 style which I hate.

I just came off a big ass ggxx reload high after fighting shouta and doug, its hard to see past Sammy.

God I hope it happens

Lyte Edge

MrAngryFace said:
I just consider mascots to be the alien from metal slug, zero from Zero, I dunno, ryu n stuff is fun but boring. Plus they play SF2 style which I hate.

I just came off a big ass ggxx reload high after fighting shouta and doug, its hard to see past Sammy.

God I hope it happens

Please don't ever play GG Isuka, MAF; that GG high you have will plummet downward ever so quickly. :) (Okay, it's not THAT bad, but chaotic to the point of being unplayable when all four fighters are on the same side/plane of the screen)

The beat-em-up mode is fun though.

Hero

MvC2 is broken as hell. Blah.

CvS2 was at least fun.

Never played this. Obviously it's no where near SF3:TS or MotW but in contrast to CvS2, how does it stand?

Brandon F

Genjuro is in the game...that seals it. I must eventually own this!

e_snk_p_genjyuro1.jpg

Oh and something for the after hours crowd...

e_snk_p_athena1.jpg

e_snk_p_mai1.jpg

BTW what is the good word on SS5 these days?

Lyte Edge

^^^^^
Athena is the cheap ass @$#@## of a boss that I'm talking about. :)

SS5 is IMO a better game than SS3 and SS4, but SS2 remains my favorite Samurai Shodown game. SS5 used a lot of recycled backgrounds and even character sprites to create new characters, and was also missing fatalities. I was more excited about the game when I first got it, but after month or so, it just felt too much like a total recyclefest; think SS4 without the CD combos. Slash/Bust is gone too, but that's a good thing IMO; characters now feel more "complete" and most gain more moves from this. Some of the Bust versions were simply taken and made into new characters, Rasetsumaru and Rera being the most obvious. Newcomer Mina is actually completely new move-wise, but was made out of the Nakoruru SS3/SS4 sprite, while Nakoruru herself got redrawn somewhat. Weird stuff.

SS5 Special seems to be a nice improvement, with new artwork, some balancing, and Amakusa and Mizuki are "new" additions to the character roster. There's also new backgrounds that have been added, as well as fatalities. I haven't really sunken too much time into the game though.

I have the PS2 port of SS5; it's got the bosses as playable characters, and an awesome arranged soundtrack awesome, but nothing else is different. I'm hoping that SS5 Special's home port will get the KOF 2002 treatment, with new 3D backgrounds, and the transparency/blur effects. IIRC SS5 and SS5 Special will be sold together as one package in the U.S., which is kind of pointless, since SS5 Special is all you need.

BTW, Brandon....I take it that SvC Chaos Xbox is censored? (No bouncy Mai [and in typical SNK fashion, there's another character that's bouncy no matter what; this time it's Chun-Li in place of Blue Mary!] and no blood) I read somewhere that it actually retains the language option, and putting the game in Japanese brings it all back.

SS5, from what I played, felt like rehash. One character thats uber cheap, several clones, and an uninspired 'evil' character. Backgrounds are ok tho.

BeOnEdge

Banned
SVC:Chaos. Why should I NOT buy it this week?"

because it looks like CRAP? i couldnt believe the demo. neo geo hardware is WAY better than what the game looks like. jesus. its like they went back to BEFORE the days of fatal fury graphically.

Wait for SSV Special that game is alot better then SVC.
CvS2 is also broken to a point, it sorta balances out at high level play tho. Roll cancels make alot of the cast usable again.

Lyte if your not worring about high level play then all the characters are balanced! :D

I don't play marvel but theres quite a bit of characters in the top tier.
Cable, Magneto, Storm, Sentinel
Strider+Doom
Blackheart
Japanese Dhalsim, Iron Man

And sure while everyone needs atleast one anchor from the top tier the assists often make the teams different.

Brandon F

Yea, I have played SS5 briefly. Really enjoyed the time I spent with it until that cheap-o midboss with the 3 minions that fly around the screen constantly. I had a slightly easier time against the final boss chick than that midboss.

My personal fav remains SS4 tho. SS2 is getting up there in age and plays extremely sluggishly. It had a good run, but SS4 delivers a huge variety of fresh faces(we loved experimenting with the Bust/Slash versions), faster paced action, and the dual-lifebar system which I am a fan of. Caffeine Nicotine et al. are missed tho.

So SS5 is planned as a 2-pack huh? Arranged soundtrack is great news.

Oh and I didn't really spend much time playing with Mai in the demo, but I do believe I recall the bounce missing...

Lyte Edge

Call me crazy, but I enjoy Chaos a lot more than SS5. Chaos at least feels like something new; SS5 is way too much rehash. Special is nice though from what I played.

Oh, and let's hope that SS5 Special doesn't have the atrocious load times that SS5 PS2 has. No excuse for that in this day and age.

BeOnEdge said:
SVC:Chaos. Why should I NOT buy it this week?"

because it looks like CRAP? i couldnt believe the demo. neo geo hardware is WAY better than what the game looks like. jesus. its like they went back to BEFORE the days of fatal fury graphically.

You're kidding me, right? You must not have seen any other Neo-Geo titles for a long time, because on a visual level, SvC Chaos is one of the better-looking titles. There are some dull backgrounds in there, but Chaos has some of the best-looking and animating sprites....even better than Garou MOTW in some cases (but Garou looks better overall, of course). Just pick Demitri, Zero, Mars People, Chun-Li or ripped-from-SF3 to Hugo to see what I mean.

Shouta

Garou is visually a better looking than Chaos still IMO. Smoother frames for the characters and cleaner/less aged sprites are the big reason.

Lyte Edge

Shouta said:
Garou is visually a better looking than Chaos still IMO. Smoother frames for the characters and cleaner/less aged sprites are the big reason.

Oh, definitely, but Chaos is up there with the likes of Art Of Fighting 3, Last Blade 1 and 2, and Garou MOTW (all of these games were also made by the same team, BTW) as one of the better-looking Neo-Geo fighting games.

IMO you can really tell that SvC Chaos must have been in the works by the old SNK, then restarted under a new team when SNK Playmore emerged from old SNK's ashes. You have some stages looking much better/cleaner than others, and some new sprites being animated much better than others (look at Chun-Li versus Shiki. And why did Terry get more standing frames, but not Kyo?)

I'm actually really glad that SvC Chaos Xbox has the color edit mode, because some of the characters' alternate colors are so damn dull or just flat-out ugly. :)

Shouta said:
IAWTP

Graphically:
GGXX > SF3 > Garou > CVS1 > rest

Shoryuken

anotheriori said:
IAWTP

Graphically:
GGXX > SF3 > Garou > CVS1 > rest

It all depends on what you're judging the games on. GGXX easily has the better resolution and colors, but SF3 and Garou have much better animation.

Also, GG:Isuka sucks. It looks noticeably worse the GGXX, has much worse collision detection, the moves are harder to pull off, and fighting on different planes sucks. Keep playing GG:XX instead.

Shouta

Oh, definitely, but Chaos is up there with the likes of Art Of Fighting 3, Last Blade 1 and 2, and Garou MOTW (all of these games were also made by the same team, BTW) as one of the better-looking Neo-Geo fighting games.

Heck no. SvC is very sloppy compared to AoF3, LB1/2, Garou and even the Real Bout series I would definitely not put it up with those games. Ahead of the KoF series for sure but definitely not in the league of the aforementioned.

Shoryuken

MrAngryFace said:
Or get #reload which is the ultimate GGXX edition

That's what I meant, I just lump them (GGXX and GG#reload) together.

anotheriori said:
Unlike 2d fighting game aficionados most people seem to notice high res alot easier then animation.

I agree, overall I think higher res is a little easier to discern.

man you people just don't know how to play isuka or something, i've played it many times its a blast with 4 players. It's not a 'serious game' tho, if you like GGXX then play #R isuka is just a side project. There's the annoyance of learning the turnaround button but its better then have auto turn around like SFA3 dramatic battle or something.

I'd make more sense for Sammy to include the 4p mode in their regular GGXX releases, how thats way better then just simple versus mode.

Top Bottom