• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sweden-GAF |OT| I'd Say It's Pretty Lagom

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
But you guys also have more expensive living. :p

But honestly, thought HAS hit me. Same with other countries. But for now, I'm aiming to find something here.

What about going to university? It's not that bad as a last resort.

GOD KILL ME NOW I CAN'T TAKE ONE MORE DAY OF UNI HELP HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

Not really. Alot of the jobs are "hidden". If you don't have the proper contacts, you won't find them.
Also, I'm trying to get into retail. Or, fucking ICA whatever. Problem is, I only have 6 years of Fritids and teaching in the backpack. (No formal education in that either, so yeah, I'm fucked.) It's really hard.
Been trying to look into some Lagerarbete aswell, but need a Truck-kort. So I'm fucked there too. :p Getting kind of hard-ish.

Ah, thought of going to the university? Funfunfun!

Bah, Corky stop it. Uni is awesome. Best time of my life, both times I went there ;)

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Looking for a new job as well, after having spent the past 2 years doing a MSc at SSE (handels). Luckily I could go back to my old job while searching for a new one, so I'm not completely fucked. But job hunting might be one of my least favorite activities.

KAOz

Short bus special
Ah, thought of going to the university? Funfunfun!

What about going to university? It's not that bad as a last resort.

Have indeed. Did the Högskoleprov, scored 1.1 on it. Not TOO shabby.

Then realized I don't have sufficient points from my Gymnaise, even though I've been studying up at Komvux aswell. :p And not going back to Komvux again, until at least spring.
Because the Teacher program doesn't begin until next Autumn anyway.

But, I bet I will find something in due time. If I have to suck some dick to get a decent job, by God will I suck some dick.

Looking for a new job as well, after having spent the past 2 years doing a MSc at SSE (handels). Luckily I could go back to my old job while searching for a new one, so I'm not completely fucked. But job hunting might be one of my least favorite activities.

Have to say though, from experience, it was far easier to get a job in Stockholm than Örebro. When I moved there, I went into a kindergarten with a CV and Personal Letter. Talked to the boss for 40 minutes. A week later, I was basically working full time there. That was really weird. And I had no prior experience in anything. Maybe it was just different times then. We didn't have this shitty economy we do now.
But yeah, job hunting does suck. And Platsbanken is probably one of the worst internet pages in history. :p

Then realized I don't have sufficient points from my Gymnaise, even though I've been studying up at Komvux aswell. :p And not going back to Komvux again, until at least spring.

But, I bet I will find something in due time. If I have to suck some dick to get a decent job, by God will I suck some dick.

Have to say though, from experience, it was far easier to get a job in Stockholm than Örebro. When I moved there, I went into a kindergarten with a CV and Personal Letter. Talked to the boss for 40 minutes. A week later, I was basically working full time there. That was really weird. And I had no prior experience in anything. Maybe it was just different times then. We didn't have this shitty economy we do now.
But yeah, job hunting does suck. And Platsbanken is probably one of the worst internet pages in history. :p

Come to komvux in Sthlm and I can give you good grades for free? j/k My students have it tough muahahahahahaha.

Did my practice mostly in Komvux but back at Uni for this semester to write my last C-uppsats. Going to teach Gymnasiet/Komvux after that. So if you have any questions about becoming a teacher I'm your guy ^^

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
A friend of mine went to komvux the last few years, and she just started the law program at Uppsala now. So it is possible

A friend of mine went to komvux the last few years, and she just started the law program at Uppsala now. So it is possible

Komvux students are actually great. Motivated and with a much clearer goal in life then the average gymnasie student. Great people to teach.

But you guys also have more expensive living. :p

But honestly, thought HAS hit me. Same with other countries. But for now, I'm aiming to find something here.

That is true but the wage average is a lot higher so it is technically easier and "cheaper" to live in Norway if you have a job. If not stay away! A Swedish friend of mine who worked with computers said he was paid almost double in Norway. Of course this depends on the job but I am sure working even at a cafe you earn a lot more than in Sweden. Keep in mind when I am not looking in Strømstad and the boarder areas I think Sweden has similar prices to Norway. I looked into student housing and it is much cheaper in Norway if I looked correct. Sorry I will try now stop trying to convince you to come to Norway but it could be a positive experience :).

antipod

You guys shouldn't complain, I'm studying game design in Skövde and we have like 1% getting a job I think? :)

Hehe. I read Medieteknik with focus on Game Development in Karlshamn (ended 6 years ago). The first job I got was as an system consultant. I don't regret not following my dreams I had back then. And today I'm basically the IT department / web developer on a small company.

But I did get one week in San Francisco attending Game Developers Conference for free with the education so it wasn't completely wasted! :p

Minamu

Hehe. I read Medieteknik with focus on Game Development in Karlshamn (ended 6 years ago). The first job I got was as an system consultant. I don't regret not following my dreams I had back then. And today I'm basically the IT department / web developer on a small company.

But I did get one week in San Francisco attending Game Developers Conference for free with the education so it wasn't completely wasted! :p
I don't regret it for a second either and I have one year left, starting today. Many new friends and great opportunities to learn things like UDK that I wouldn't have had orherwise.

kch

Where the hell is the nice weather?
In Kumla, clearly :)

DSC1.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
KAOz, when I become the boss for my company, I will hire the living shit out of you, Corky and every other ÖREBROGAF.

Corky

KAOz, when I become the boss for my company, I will hire the living shit out of you, Corky and every other ÖREBROGAF.

Oh please, please let me be the company slut that sleeps around with everyone during our company parties.

KAOz

Short bus special

Sounds like a good plan! Also, I think Corky is an honorary ÖreGAF now. :p

Oh, I have a good name for your company: "Golden GoldieGolden GoldieGolden GoldieGolden GoldieGolden GoldieGolden GoldieGolden GoldieGolden GoldieGolden GoldieGolden GoldieGolden GoldieGolden GoldieGolden GoldieGolden GoldieGolden GoldieGolden Goldie!!"

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
hahahahaha, I still can't believe Corky actually Googled that!

zam

Lärarprogrammet is awesome if you want to get a job without a long job-hunt. The program has praktik for several weeks each semester where you will be working at a school alongside a teacher, handling lessons and stuff. It's a great way to get your foot in the door, get experience and references. The place where I did my praktik called me up last week out of the blue and asked if I could come work there (and I don't even have my degree yet). The whole country is desperate for more teachers.

Downside is the pay isn't that great, and there isn't much room for advancement. But if you want to (actually really want to) be a teacher, I say go for it.

Prove it ;P

Platsbanken/Arbetsförmedlingen suck ass for getting a job. I know that feel bro. Also get a LinkedIn profile if you don't already.

Best of luck to you with the job hunt!

yonder

Lärarprogrammet is awesome if you want to get a job without a long job-hunt. The program has praktik for several weeks each semester where you will be working at a school alongside a teacher, handling lessons and stuff. It's a great way to get your foot in the door, get experience and references. The place where I did my praktik called me up last week out of the blue and asked if I could come work there (and I don't even have my degree yet). The whole country is desperate for more teachers.

Downside is the pay isn't that great, and there isn't much room for advancement. But if you want to (actually really want to) be a teacher, I say go for it.
Glad to hear this since I just started studying to become a gymnasielärare in English and Swedish at Linköpings Universitet. Got my first praktik in a few weeks already! Gotta study dat didaktik, though.

KAOz

Short bus special
zam, thanks alot for the encouragement. You rock. And, I shall prove it to you. One day.

In other news, was flipping through my phone. And found some pictures I took from Stockholm. Of zombies. Just zombies. They where surrounding me when I was out having a smoke. Unfortunatley, I didn't get any real good ones, and they don't show off the massive numbers of hundreds that where there.

Quoted for massive size of photos. And I just noticed Posion Ivy in the second photo. Ha!

zam

Glad to hear this since I just started studying to become a gymnasielärare in English and Swedish at Linköpings Universitet. Got my first praktik in a few weeks already! Gotta study dat didaktik, though.
It's a great way to get experience, try out new ways of doing lessons. And when the school you are at are looking to hire a new teacher you'll be at the top of the list. Tons of people in my class have gotten job offers from the schools they were at, or at the very least a "When you get your degree give us a call". Also you can easily pick up a few substitute gigs there.

Minamu

Högskolan in Skövde have its nollning now so maybe there are some new gaffers here, who knows? :) I think there's over 200 new game development students this year.

waypoetic

Banned
Monday: summer
Tuesday: autumn
Wednesday: summer
Thursday: ???

Gothenburg sure cant make up it's mind right now concerning it's season weather.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Går ju fan inte att välja kläder på början av dagarna i dagsläget..

Move to Ireland before you complain.

Example of daily routine:

06:00 - clear skies, beautiful sunrise!
08:00 - sun sun sun!
09:00 - oh look a cloud front appears on the horizon
10:00 - doomsday rain
10:15 - sun sun sun!
10:25 - haha doomsday rain!
11:00 - clouds
11:30 - 23:00 - rain and clouds intersected by sunshine every random minute

rince repeat hela sommarn.

waypoetic

Banned
Move to Ireland before you complain.

Example of daily routine:

06:00 - clear skies, beautiful sunrise!
08:00 - sun sun sun!
09:00 - oh look a cloud front appears on the horizon
10:00 - doomsday rain
10:15 - sun sun sun!
10:25 - haha doomsday rain!
11:00 - clouds
11:30 - 23:00 - rain and clouds intersected by sunshine every random minute

rince repeat hela sommarn.

Fuck :(

Corky

Well, summer is officially over then.

Cue a winter-period that would make that crazy lady in Game Of Thrones ( you know the one who kept blabbering about winter ) jump out of a fudging window in sheer terror.

Hejdå solen, vi syns 15e maj 2013. Fml.

KAOz

Short bus special
With winter coming, how is everyone planning to survive it?

I have personally decided to wage war against winter and snow this year.

No snow shall remain left in my path. Nor shall it touch me.

My other plan involves turning into the Human Torch, but this might be slightly harder.

Corky

I'm going to cry in a corner for a couple of hours each day... you know, just to make the day and season go by faster.

KAOz

Short bus special
I'm going to cry in a corner for a couple of hours each day... you know, just to make the day and season go by faster.

Do that.

Then the other hours you shall join me in my fight! UPP TILL KAMP MOT DEN JÄVLA FASCISTSNÖN, KAMRAT!

KAOz

Short bus special
Jawohl!

Also rofl KAOz.... remember this? Told you I fucking knew the song...

Oh Jesus, this makes it all... wow... You DID knew it.... Damn, shame you didn't know the lyrics and could sing along to it.
I would kill to see that.

Seriously, I would.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter

I have personally decided to wage war against winter and snow this year.

No snow shall remain left in my path. Nor shall it touch me.

My other plan involves turning into the Human Torch, but this might be slightly harder.

Alcohol, lots of alcohol!

waypoetic

Banned
I had Västerås on my places-i-maybe-could-move-to-list but i heard that the only jobs that are available in Västerås are telemarket-type jobs and at the ICA warehouse.

I'm more interested in Örebro. Sort of.

Top Bottom