• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swedish Comedian organizing ‘man-free’ music fest until they learn ‘how to behave’

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
They had a similar issue in a club I used to go to where there were a spate of knife crime and because the offenders were all black they banned black people from attending. Thought that was bullshit and think this is bullshit too.

Yeah, this is the sort of danger I was trying to point out.

Horp

See. There's more framework for the "smarter people than you", it's a decredit tactic. What are these theories? How are theh applied in real life? Are you here for a discussion or to say you're wrong and stop? If the former, then we can carry on, the latter would require a megaphone and a lawn chair on someone's lawn.
You're obviously not interested in replying to the things im writing. These theories are widely available, but as I -said- they are more complex, and also not defines by me so me stating them would be unneeded and secondary information. Look up utilitarism. It's kind of a starting point. Then read up on some of the stuff Rawls have said, he has good points. Here:
http://carneades.pomona.edu/2008-SPP/nts-0428.shtml

Musician

These festivals are an absolute shit show of drugs and alcohol. I bet that if they banned those two and tossed out anyone clearly inebriated there would be next to no problems of this kind, but that wouldn't be any "fun". It's easier to ban a whole gender than put down the bottle.

Paganmoon

This won't be the same festival, it is a potential festival organized by different people, so no they're not banning men from a festival they've been able to attend for years.

They don't have to ban all the men, just the ones who are immigrants from third world countries.
I hope it doesn't sound racist, but that's the hard thruth.
And it's not like banning only immigrant men is any worse than banning all men.

You are a piece of shit racist, that's the hard truth of it.

Simplet

Eh guys remember that wave of sexual assaults in Köln a few years ago where according to the police the perpetrators were young immigrants from north african and middle-eastern countries?

I have this great idea...

Mahadev

Event was cancelled because of the actions of men. Suggestion it could go ahead without men. I don't see the problem.

Event was cancelled because of the actions of immigrants. Suggestion it could go ahead without immigrants. I don't see the problem.

Event was cancelled because of the actions of blacks. Suggestion it could go ahead without blacks. I don't see the problem.

Event was cancelled because of the actions of gays. Suggestion it could go ahead without gays. I don't see the problem.

Event was cancelled because of the actions of gingers. Suggestion it could go ahead without gingers. I don't see the problem.

Event was cancelled because of the actions of people with green eyes. Suggestion it could go ahead without any people with green eyes. I don't see the problem.

Hmmm, is it just me or your post is incredibly bigoted and dumb if you take, I don't know, just one fucking second to think about it?

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
This won't be the same festival, it is a potential festival organized by different people, so no they're not banning men from a festival they've been able to attend for years.

You are a piece of shit racist, that's the hard truth of it.

If you're going to allow venues to determine entry based on representation in crime statistics, then you have to consider how that will be implemented by racist venue owners.

hidys

Event was cancelled because of the actions of immigrants. Suggestion it could go ahead without immigrants. I don't see the problem.

Event was cancelled because of the actions of blacks. Suggestion it could go ahead without blacks. I don't see the problem.

Event was cancelled because of the actions of gays. Suggestion it could go ahead without gays. I don't see the problem.

Event was cancelled because of the actions of gingers. Suggestion it could go ahead without gingers. I don't see the problem.

Event was cancelled because of the actions of people with green eyes. Suggestion it could go ahead without any people with green eyes. I don't see the problem.

Hmmm, is it just me or your post is incredibly bigoted and dumb if you take, I don't know, just one fucking second to think about it?

But literally none of these are true so I have no idea what you are getting at.

Cartman86

Banned
But literally none of these are true so I have no idea what you are getting at.

They are demonstrating that you can make this logical argument for any group and of the groups listed most people would consider them clear cases of either discrimination or absurdity.

Question then becomes are man a class or group worth "protecting"? I honestly don't know. I mean obviously we aren't wanting for anything right now. I read this story and I don't care. Let them have a safe place, but I also recognize the logic doesn't really track. Or at least I haven't heard a good argument for it. My humanity says fuck it. Let em do it, but my critical eye has me questioning. Maybe the privilege is enough of an argument?

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Event was cancelled because of the actions of men. Suggestion it could go ahead without men. I don't see the problem.

They should narrow it down a bit more, just banning men are too general.

What race are those criminals? If all of them are the same race, perhaps we'll just ban that race from entering.

SMattera

This whole story arc is just so strange to me.

I went to Bråvalla in 2016. I've been to literally 100+ rock concerts in the last 15 years. It was one of the most relaxed, most chill festivals I've ever been to.

They don't have to ban all the men, just the ones who are immigrants from third world countries.
Tag quote

Lol this thread is hilarious in all the wrong ways.

It does sound racist, that isn't the hard truth, and it is worse than banning all men.

I went to Bråvalla in 2016. I've been to literally 100+ rock concerts in the last 15 years. It was one of the most relaxed, most chill festivals I've ever been to.
Cool, it's good that you managed to miss out on the whole getting sexually assaulted portion of it though which is what this is about.

Not how one person anecdotally had a great time.

Paganmoon

And I'm sure it was for the most part. That's part of the thing with festivals, most people don't notice these things. This has been a real issue with festivals as far as I can remember. I distinctly recall reading news reports during the 90's about Hultsfred and others festivals and the problems of sexual assault and harassment. It's not really something new, it's just finally being reported more and followed up on, it's not a day too soon, should've been more focus on these issues already back then
And you having gone to 100+ concerts, and thinking of Bråvalla 2016 as one of the most chill festivals ever, with it having more reported rapes than this years, should tell you how "safe" those other 100+ concerts/festivals really were for women.

Can we agree that men aren't a minority? So it's not discrimination to exclude men from a specific event. It's not like there aren't a bunch of other rock festivals. Judging by some of the outrage, it's also wrong to exclude men from women's dressing rooms and showers.

I don't see the point of these hypotheticals unless you're willing to provide what illegal act ginger people or immigrants did that we can prove would be stopped completely by their removal?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I don't see the point of these hypotheticals unless you're willing to provide what illegal act ginger people or immigrants did that we can prove would be stopped completely by their removal?

You need to stop thinking about this one event in particular.

Muslims and terrorism, spring to mind as a comparison.

Simplet

People have already provided this information in this thread, you just chose to ignore it:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...an-man-injured-in-attacks-by-gangs-in-cologne

German authorities said nearly all the suspects in the Cologne attacks were ”almost exclusively people with an immigrant background", according to initial findings of a criminal investigation.

”Witness accounts and the report by the police as well as findings by the federal police indicate that nearly all the people who committed these crimes were almost exclusively people with an immigrant background," said Ralf Jäger, the interior minister of North Rhine-Westphalia.

Although no formal charges have been made, Jäger said the attackers emerged from a group of more than 1,000 ”Arab and north African" men who gathered between the city's main railway station and the cathedral during the festivities.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame

You can't prove that sexual assault can be stopped completely by the exclusion of men. Women can commit sexual assault as well.

The issue here is that if you empower groups (either venue owners or lawmakers or judges) to deny entry to public accommodations based on some immutable characteristic, then you have to consider how that right can be abused.

They are demonstrating that you can make this logical argument for any group and of the groups listed most people would consider them clear cases of either discrimination or absurdity.

Question then becomes are man a class or group worth "protecting"? I honestly don't know. I mean obviously we aren't wanting for anything right now. I read this story and I don't care. Let them have a safe place, but I also recognize the logic doesn't really track. Or at least I haven't heard a good argument for it. My humanity says fuck it. Let em do it, but my critical eye has me questioning. Maybe the privilege is enough of an argument?

Replace men with any other group and think how would you react then.

Also it feels we are missing bigger problem here - why did the number of assaults increase in 2016 and 2017 ?
What was police doing during 2017 event ?

This is not the first time sexual assault is reported at a Swedish music festival I think. Stuff like this also happened at We Are Stockholm. It's good that Sweden is doing something about it but I don't think this here is the right solution.

Also makes you wonder how much this kind of stuff happens in other countries but is ignored.

AoM

Can we agree that men aren't a minority? So it's not discrimination to exclude men from a specific event. It's not like there aren't a bunch of other rock festivals. Judging by some of the outrage, it's also wrong to exclude men from women's dressing rooms and showers.

Ah, so we're using that definition of discrimination.

And that analogy is.. something, I guess.

People really don’t like being not invited to things

Do ya’ll show up and crash the party when your friends/partners have a “girls night out”?

Resseh

I'm not a big fan of blaming a whole group based on a few bad eggs. This kind of logic is why so many Americans were ok with the Muslim travel ban.

Cartman86

Banned
Replace men with any other group and think how would you react then.

Also it feels we are missing bigger problem here - why did the number of assaults increase in 2016 and 2017 ?
What was police doing during 2017 event ?

? This is exactly what I was wrestling with in my post. Maybe you are saying it's clear cut, but i'm not sure it will be for me.

Sony

Nintendo
Anyone who is in favor of this/ supports this should check their morals because this measure it blatantly sexist.

Carcetti

Thousands of years of sexism go by without protest but somehow men really got concerned about it when a Swedish music festival banned them.

Mahadev

So women or gays aren't capable of sexual assault? Is this another generalization of yours? This forum is starting to make me believe in the horseshoe theory lately, Jesus Christ.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
You're joking right? There hasn't been any protests against sexism?

WITHOUT. PROTEST.

This thread is the first time anyone has ever been concerned with possible sexism. In fact, the term "sexism" was invented in the OP because humans didn't even have a concept of it before.

SMattera

Ultimately, I don't believe a 3-day, women-only music festival would be economically viable. They simply would not sell enough tickets. A medium-sized concert might be possible depending on the act, but I doubt it would sell out.

Dead Man

What a cluster fuck all round. Sad to hear about the number of assaults, that is not acceptable.

Cool, it's good that you managed to miss out on the whole getting sexually assaulted portion of it though which is what this is about.

Not how one person anecdotally had a great time.

Jesus. They just said it was strange to read the story arc in total, not that the attacks didn't happen. No need to get pissy over that post.

Thousands of years of sexism go by without protest but somehow men really got concerned about it when a Swedish music festival banned them.
Yep. No men have ever been spoken up or taken action against sexism. None.

So women or gays aren't capable of sexual assault? Is this another generalization of yours? This forum is starting to make me believe in the horseshoe theory lately, Jesus Christ.

The event organisers said it was because of men:

“Certain men … apparently cannot behave. It’s a shame. We have therefore decided to cancel Bråvalla 2018,” the festival’s organizers said in a statement.

Xun

I fully understand why, but I fear this sort of thing purely promotes inequality and segregation.

There are better ways to handle this.

Mahadev

The event organisers said it was because of men:

Well, if the event organizers said it it must be true and morally acceptable. So if an event organizer said "immigrants" instead of "men" you'd rush to defend them. Yeap, I'm done with this thread.

Dead Man

One day for women only. One day for men only. One day for everyone.

Send me the cheque.

I wish this would work, but most of the big acts would only want to be at the final day unless the single gender days brought the same size crowds. I presume anyway, I could be totally wrong. Both on the acts and the relative crowd sizes on each day.

Top Bottom