• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 Gimmick features

Jubenhimer

The successor to Nintendo Switch is looming closer and closer, with a formal reveal set for this fiscal year. Rumored impressions of the device are said to be impressive, with more powerful hardware and DLSS technology, creating pseudo-PS5 visuals in the palm of your hand.

That being said, this is Nintendo we're talking about. It's obviously not going to be just a Switch with extra horse power. The company has always prided itself on creating a unique feel and experience with each new generation of hardware, IE a gimmick. So I think it could be fun to spit-ball some ideas for what kind of unique features or novelties that Switch 2 could probably employ.

* Lightning-quick loading speeds - If there's one feature for Switch 2 that I believe is going to be the central gimmick the whole system is built around and marketed on, it's the rumored loading system. According to last year's rumored Gamescom demo, Nintendo used a special build of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild to showcase this feature, which reportedly has "non-existent load times". I think Nintendo looks at current gen consoles and is thinking "SSDs? Pssh, we can do better than that" and created their own proprietary loading architecture that could potentially be even faster. I think Nintendo wants to return to the instantaneous loading of systems like the Nintendo 64, with Switch 2, and the whole console will be built on loading games, levels, and content fast, and allowing users to jump in and play their games as quickly as possible.

* IR pointers on new magnetic Joy-Con - One new distinctive feature was recently rumored. Switch 2's new Joy-Con controllers are not only larger, but are supposedly ditching the rail-based connection of its predecessors, in favor of a new magnet-based connection. But I think there's also going to be a new feature as well. The addition of a two small IR cameras on top beside the shoulder buttons. I believe Nvidia has a bunch of camera APIs in its hardware, which could mean these dual cameras can track the light from the TV/Switch 2 screen and it's position, allowing for the precision 3D pointing of the Wii Remote, without the need for separate sensor bar. These can also essentially succeed the IR Motion Camera on the original Switch Joy-Con for backwards compatibility, or other applications.

* Local Wireless streaming - Here's one idea that could be fun. A feature that essentially combines the Download Play app on DS/3DS, with the streaming system used by the Wii U GamePad and Wii U console. Simply put, in compatible games, Switch 2 can wirelessly stream a version/mode of the game to other nearby Switch 2 devices, with only one copy of a game. The benefit of this over Download Play is that all the processing is done on the host console, while the receiving consoles don't have to download any data, allowing them to access a more complete experience without taking up anything on system RAM.

So these are some potential "gimmicks" if you will, that Switch 2 could feature.

Last edited:

Davevil

no joycon and motion control
clamshell and dual screen?
docks in nes and snes form ?

Last edited:

cireza

Gold Member
* IR pointers on new magnetic Joy-Con - One new distinctive feature was recently rumored. Switch 2's new Joy-Con controllers are not only larger, but are supposedly ditching the rail-based connection of its predecessors, in favor of a new magnet-based connection. But I think there's also going to be a new feature as well. The addition of a two small IR cameras on top beside the shoulder buttons. I believe Nvidia has a bunch of camera APIs in its hardware, which could mean these dual cameras can track the light from the TV/Switch 2 screen and it's position, allowing for the precision 3D pointing of the Wii Remote, without the need for separate sensor bar. These can also essentially succeed the IR Motion Camera on the original Switch Joy-Con for backwards compatibility, or other applications.
This sounds like so much shit I hope none of this happens.

Nintendo should ask Microsoft how to make controllers, and put one in the box instead of shittycons.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Nothing, Nintendo will play it extremely safe. The Switch 2 will just be a more powerful Switch that is backwards compatible.

For people like me who look forward to what interesting things they bring to the table it will be boring as fuck.
Switch 2 isn't looking to be a drastic departure from the current system according to rumors. But that doesn't necessarily rule out any unique new hardware ideas or gimmicks to compliment the current design.

You can have a successor that is effectively a more powerful version of the original system, while also adding some new concepts to it as well. The two aren't mutually exclusive. I mean the 3DS was, for all intents and purposes, a more powerful DS, but it had a stereoscopic 3D display on top of it.

CS Lurker

Two cameras on the upper bezel of the tablet will track IR LED rings add-ons connected to the side of the joy-cons. The camera will also do body tracking (it could even fuse both trackings). Nvidia will help training the A.I. models, as they have extensive know-how in computer vision. Those models are gonna run on the tensor cores.

manzo

Why does it need any gimmicks? Just fine-tune what worked and make sure it's PS4-level visual quality with DLSS. Nothing else is needed. At this moment, the loading speeds are mainly CPU-related bottlenecks anyway.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Basic hardware on the portable, the dlss technology on the dock. You don't need to have the dlss on the portable because it's a smaller screen anyway., and you can put as much as you want on the dock because it needs on a big screen.

Nintendo should ask Microsoft how to make controllers, and put one in the box instead of shittycons.
That's what Nintendo needs next gen: AA batteries.

BlackTron

If they bring back Wii style IR I call it good. Should have been in Switch 1. If they had it this would have been the rerelease of RE4 I actually buy.

If magnets are involved as rumored I doubt it will be instead of rails, more likely a new guiding/locking system. People just saw the magnets thing and assumed they replace rails completely, which IMO is both a dumb design and bad prediction.

Edit: Packing a normal controller in with a handheld instead of the handles to hold said handheld is utterly insane BTW

Last edited:

Xyphie

I think if there's a gimmick it's going to involve using Miracast (Wireless display casting) on the TV. Think something like a quiz show game with each participant having their own view on their Switch (or mobile phone) and there's like an overview/announcer/game master screen on the TV.

Robb

Gold Member
Nintendo loves to add really bad cameras to stuff so I’ll guess they’ll add a camera or two to the current form factor and play around with AR and stuff.

I’m hoping it’s something different/new/unexpected though.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
As long as their system can still be modded

Lets Go Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island

Holammer

Two big ass-cheeks on the backside with touch controls & haptics so you can fondle them like trackballs. The natural evolution of the Steam Deck's trackpads.

Face tracking for perspective shifting. Pseudo 3D
I'm surprised we don't have this already (video from 2007).

It will be my dream if Switch 2 will come with 3D screen. That's only thing that will affect and enhance every game. To me 3D effect is like magic. And its the best thing about VR (that its perfect 3D).
Imagine glasses-free 3D OLED display.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Nothing, Nintendo will play it extremely safe. The Switch 2 will just be a more powerful Switch that is backwards compatible.

For people like me who look forward to what interesting things they bring to the table it will be boring as fuck.
This is really what needs to happen if they want to break the "every other generation" curse. Just give it more juice, call it Switch 2, and then print money.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
They should add rails to the top and bottom section of the screen so that you can hold it vertically and play visual novels and tetris in a super portrait mode. Well, if the joycons are magnetic they might not even need the rails anymore...

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
No gimmicks (outside of some changes to the controllers ) longer battery life, better dock output and physical slot for current switch games. Additional storage cards based on proprietary Samsung UFS technology…maybe that’s the gimmick?

Sethbacca

They should add rails to the top and bottom section of the screen so that you can hold it vertically and play visual novels and tetris in a super portrait mode. Well, if the joycons are magnetic they might not even need the rails anymore...
This right here is actually a pretty fantastic idea. Old school shmups would be a good use case too.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Nothing less than the return of Miiverse in all its glory and also a remaster of Kid Icarus Uprising with all online features to promote the return of the glass free 3D YESSSSSSS!

YESSSSSSS!

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Obviously, don’t know if it has a gimmick. If it does, here are a couple of logical outcomes though…

I don’t think it will have all these features But, i think it features some of these…

1.) Redesigned Joycon’s that may be more accurate and (dumb like the Wii) at same time, to give a better sense of control like Wii Sports or Wii U Sports Club. Switch Sports was …BBBBAAADDD…Kinect Sports was more fun than Switch sports. Also no more joycon drift. Biggest gaming hardware misstep since RROD.

2.) Backwards Compatibility would be a nice next gen feature, especially if some of the games offered enhancements.

3.) A/R feature. I used to think this was most obvious…especially with Mario Kart Live. But the developer of Mario Kart Live was acquired by Apple a couple of years ago, so i find this more unlikely now.

4.) Finally, a Wii U like feature to be able to have one person play in handheld mode, while someone else plays on tv. Asynchronous multi player or offer a Wii U like tablet feature when playing on tv.

Last edited:
If they bring back Wii style IR I call it good. Should have been in Switch 1. If they had it this would have been the rerelease of RE4 I actually buy.

If magnets are involved as rumored I doubt it will be instead of rails, more likely a new guiding/locking system. People just saw the magnets thing and assumed they replace rails completely, which IMO is both a dumb design and bad prediction.

Edit: Packing a normal controller in with a handheld instead of the handles to hold said handheld is utterly insane BTW
Yes, but some here it seems don't realize what made the switch so great. They want the next Nintendo console to go back to being a dedicated box, or be like playstation and xbox, but the thing is they can go buy those.
Switch rocks because its hybrid. They literally wrapped the handheld market in with their console market in one device and was brilliant.

If you would of told me in 2017 that by 2024 the Nintendo Switch would be my most played system with 100s of games installed, I would of called you crazy, but here we are.
It has exclusive games, multiple 1st party every year.
Multiple 3rd party exclusives.
Tons and tons and tons of JRPGS!!!!
Ports of old pc games like Gothic 1 and 2 (who would of thought), Doom, quake, kotor etc...
Motion controls for skyward sword, switch sports, or ring fit (which is surprisingly good for workout btw.).

All Nintendo needs to do is improve the joycon model, not scrap it. I think your idea about magnets and a rail make a ton of sense.
Up the processing power a bit so it can play ps4 era graphical quality. Shit It doesn't even need 4k, just have an upscaler on the dock.

Now the biggest thing is backwards compatibility. It better be able to play the 1000s of games from the switch both physical and digital, (or I will be stocking up on spare switches)

Last edited:

I always hear people bitching about their sub $200 xbox elite controllers breaking or not working.

I think the cheaper standard ones are more reliable.

In any case Nintendo needs to include hall effect joysticks to end Joy Con drift. Nintendo has to be tired of repairing all those Joy cons. It will be cheaper for them to end drift in the long run.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I don't really need any gimmicks. Personally, I just want a more powerful Switch with some added features.

Backwards compatible with current Switch software is a must.

Better controllers that aren't prone to drift.

A fast and responsive e-shop. The current one feels like using the internet with a dial up.

Return of the virtual console. I'm not signing up to an online service to play classic games. Give me the option to buy and download classic games that I can play on my console. Nintendo, you'll get a lot more money from me if you do this.

Some decent internal memory. I don't want to have to buy an extra SD card out the gate. The new console needs to come with at least 500gb minimum.

BlackTron

I always hear people bitching about their sub $200 xbox elite controllers breaking or not working.

I think the cheaper standard ones are more reliable.

In any case Nintendo needs to include hall effect joysticks to end Joy Con drift. Nintendo has to be tired of repairing all those Joy cons. It will be cheaper for them to end drift in the long run.

They probably save more money cheaping out and only repairing those joycons people bother to send in or don't just replace out of their own pocket.

Rob_27

It needs to have proper backward compatibility. Be able to download NES SNES N64 GC WII WIIU Switch games. From the eshop.

But it will probably come bundled with a printer for er Nintendo reasons.

Moochi

3d is something novel they could do and it would still be a big draw, especially now if they do it well and are the only ones doing it.

Top Bottom