• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Hello again,

I am now 55 hours into the game. Here are my stats:

Lv 121
HP 46488

DPS Total 464
DMG 588
Attack Speed 76

ATK 334
DEF 523

STR 319
VIT 281
AGI 189
DEX 202
HIT 236
Dodge 0 (Because of Scimitar/Shield)

And my weapons:

MantisBaptizer +4
STR+100 VIT+20 DODGE+15

WarriorThrasher +3
ATK+25 DEF+25 STR+90 HIT-10

BraveBlade +3
STR+115 VIT +20 DEX+20 AGI+20 DODGE-10

I just beat Hollow Area 3, and have completed 93 floors in Aincrad. My question is thus: Is it normal for the Attack stat to be so much lower than the Defense one? My two rings combine boost Attack by 65, but it's still so much lower.

EDIT: Got ATK to 384 and DEF 473 with Scimitar/Shield 395/418 with Dual Blades. I love the customization features of this game! And after thinking about it, the reason my defense was so much higher was the shield. Duh lol.

Mine are pretty balanced actually, kinda low on VIT but I use mainly two-handed weapons, so my build is more focused on AGI and DODGE. I did max out the scimi to unlock the katana though, so the last shot is a Scimi-shield combo for you to compare more or less our stats. Anyway, here you go:

Katana:
14669871073_38db345de6_z.jpg

Two-Handed Sword:
14463354788_9caba93f71_z.jpg

Two-Handed Axe:
14669870893_fdd3ed23eb_z.jpg

Finally, Scimitar/Shield:
14463544987_c87e505dc0_z.jpg

I think that what you have is some high class loot mixed with normal stuff, as you can see, regardless of me having or not a shield with a variety of weapons, my DEF is still balanced with my ATK. Your defense is higher than normal because of some rare item that you probably got in the Hollow Area, which really isn't such a bad thing aha.

EDIT: Guess you figured out what happened before I was able to post. Yes this game is reaaaaally deep. You can make the game your own, which is what I love about it

WiseWarrior

Neo Member
Thanks for the response and pictures! All of my equipment is actually from Aincrad. I have:

Body: Protection Armor
VIT+30 AGI -10 DEF+130 DODGE -10

Arms: Order Arm
DEX+20 DEF+30 HIT+10 Poison, Paralyze, Bleed+5

Legs: Protection Greaves
STR+5 VIT +20 AGI-5 DEF+30 DODGE-5

Ring: Hyper Ring x2

STR+5 VIT+5 DEX+5 AGI+5 ATK+30 DEF+10 HIT+10 DODGE+10

Head: Emperor Blue Magatama
STR+10 VIT+5 DEF+10 HIT+5
SP Absorb/BST Gauge Charge Decrease

BacK: Skill Holder
DEF+25 DODGE+20
Skill Cast Time Reduction (My absolute favorite item. 33% less casting time)

My belts are meh.

Strike Belt
STR+10 DEX-5 AGI-5 ATK+20 (For Scimitar/Shield)

Mirage Blet
DEX+16 DEF+30 (For Dual Blades)

Charms are really nice.

Physical Ankh
VIT+40
Physical Resistance Increase (For Dual Blades)

Amulet of Power
STR+50 Poison, Paralyze, Bleed-10 (For Scimitar/Sword because...)

Shield: Finster Glanz
ATK+15 DEF+100 Poison, Paralyze, Bleed+40

No problem! Mystery solved, it's definitely your body armour (adding the shield definitely made it even higher). I don't have my vita on me, but I don't think my armour's defence even goes over 70. Again, my build is more AGI focused so keep that in mind.

WiseWarrior

Neo Member
Just got Berserk Armor. Goes perfectly with my +40 resistance shield. Now I have 457 ATK and 399 DEF. :D

EDIT: Also, my ATK randomly went up to 657 and stayed that way for a few minutes until a cutscene activated, whereupon ATK went back down to 457. How bizarre. No buffs or anything that I could see.

I really wanna get myself a new armor, but everything that's in the stores seems to favor DEF and lower my STR, ATK, and what matters more to me, my AGI... I'm tired of this Romanesque looking armor, it was cool the first week, but now it's getting boring. To compliment that I'm always changing my partner's armor. Sinon looks pretty cool in this Regal Blazer:

14655109944_e9b14b4ba8_c.jpg

WiseWarrior

Neo Member
Nice, she does look good!

I'm now on the 4th Hollow Area. With the exception of the 2nd (Which was pretty boring) I'm loving it. The first one was a huge area with equal parts exploration and combat. The 3rd was a great exploration based level, while, from what I've seen so far, the 4th is most combat oriented. I'm really looking forward to the 5th!

I'm currently playing through Aincrad. Took me 50 so hours to figure out that the square button actually tells you specifically how to activate story bits. I knew that you could do it, but since in the beginning it only had a list for the Hollow Area, I would only check it when I was there without paying too much attention. So I pretty much played the game up to floor 86 only doing the main story parts, now I am activating all these story events for each character that I left untouched, since they require you to go to specific locations with specific characters, that again are all stipulated on that event list. I'm now trying to
fix Asuna's and Kirito's marriage lmao.
I'm going to go up to floor 90 and then clear the 3rd Hollow Area, which I hear is huge.

Tetranet

Though i wish
kayaba didnt "forget" his reason/motive for locking 10,000+ people in an MMORPG. I really hope this is revealed later.

Anyone?

He does explain the reason behind his actions. He wanted to surpass reality with a world of his own design, that huge, floating steel castle that captured and consumed him since long before he began working on the FullDive technology. Reaching out and touching the dream, the world he envisioned. Apparently that includes populating it with people, throwing them into his world to live in it and know it, as he does, and that's why he masquerades as Heathcliff and "plays along" with them. This isn't too far off from what a creator would think, or even what the writer himself would think :"I have this world in my mind, I want to make it real, experience it and invite other people to do the same". It's quite noble, but Kayaba's realization is at the same time morally twisted.

S2 SPOILERS below:

It doesn't stop there though. He appears at the end of the second season as an entity inside the networks, and provides The Seed, the software that gives life to countless Virtual Realities (including GGO). He's creating by proxy an entire VR multiverse through humanity's computer network, and ascending to a higher plane of existence. Kind of like Ghost in the Shell.

Sounds like a good plan and motivation to me. This kind of thing won't be blatantly pointed out, anime or light novel.

Not owning a Vita and reading this thread... /sigh.

EDIT: Wikipedia mentions "The game has over 100 recruitable characters which can be chosen to accompany the player in the game's dungeons.", is this true? I haven't seen any characters so far other than the well known heroines.

Abdiel

Argh. I need this game. August is taking too long to be here. Sigh. I'd import the Asian copy, but I want to be able to get dlc and such. The lack of a physical release doesn't bother me (I imported a 64gb card cause my 32gb was full) but it's just taking so long to be August 19/20

EDIT: Wikipedia mentions "The game has over 100 recruitable characters which can be chosen to accompany the player in the game's dungeons.", is this true? I haven't seen any characters so far other than the well known heroines.
I don't know the exact numbers, but pretty much every character that is walking around in Aincrad can be your partner. Every character has a different look, stats, names, equipment, skills, etc that you can modify at your will after having a bit of a friendship level with them (all equipment that you have on can be seen, so if you look at my previous post, Sinon is wearing an armor that I bought for her). They don't have story arcs but yes, you could bring one of them instead of let's say Sinon or Asuna, or whoever is part of the main crew.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Its just all the other generic NPCs that populate the world. If you become friends with them, by helping them with their own quests you can take them around with you if you want. But generally they will not be as effective as the main story characters.

But its far more amusing dragging them on the single player MP mode. So you + 3 other AI partners you want.

Mogura is my personal favorite. lol

Main character + mogura + lisbeth = 3 mace users = enemy that never gets their turn.

Stuart444

Finally started playing this again...

Went into MP mode on my own for a bit. Me, Sinon (partner), Leafa, Silica and Lizbeth faced a triple eater boss (level 141, almost 40 levels above me). Got it to a quarter of it's health left and suddenly it became far tougher wiping the others out multiple times until eventually I got killed.

:( So so so close to beating it.

Parakeetman

Finally started playing this again...

Went into MP mode on my own for a bit. Me, Sinon (partner), Leafa, Silica and Lizbeth faced a triple eater boss (level 141, almost 40 levels above me). Got it to a quarter of it's health left and suddenly it became far tougher wiping the others out multiple times until eventually I got killed.

:( So so so close to beating it.

Basically if you cant keep up a constant stream of SP you are going to die. That and in MP mode considering you cant really give commands to your partners you need to rely on them to not screw up and the fact you wont be able to get the small SP boost from praising them.

Dust yourself off and go at it again! :D Its the only thing to do lol

Muaha nice! But I see that you have the same problem as me with screen shots (it opens up your menu). You gotta do a ninja fast PS button press and then START button, that way that bar won't pop up at the bottom, nor go back to your Home.

As for those costumes, I can tell that you are in the Hollow Area, is that where you found Asuna's armor? And that mask on Kirito, I can see that the equipment SEEMS like the one that he comes up with... Looking at the trophy list, slight spoilers
there's some Hollow Kirito in the game. Is this it
??

WiseWarrior

Neo Member
Muaha nice! But I see that you have the same problem as me with screen shots (it opens up your menu). You gotta do a ninja fast PS button press and then START button, that way that bar won't pop up at the bottom, nor go back to your Home.

As for those costumes, I can tell that you are in the Hollow Area, is that where you found Asuna's armor? And that mask on Kirito, I can see that the equipment SEEMS like the one that he comes up with... Looking at the trophy list, slight spoilers
there's some Hollow Kirito in the game. Is this it
??

His equipment (The armor, legs, and arms anyway) are last attack rewards from late Aincrad floors.
Order Arm
from late 80s,
Order Legs
from early 90s, and
Shadow Eater
from 96. Asuna's armor was purchased from the shop on floor 95.

As for whether he's supposed to look like
Hollow Kirito,
no, that wasn't the intention. Just thought it made him look cool, though I'd lol if
Hollow Kirito
actually looks like that.

And yeah lol about the screenshot capture. The previous captures brought up the menu, I'm lucky this time it only brought up the bar.

Pretty cool, I needa hurry my ass and beat Aincrad. I get sooo sidetracked... I'm still just by the boss area of floor 86. I'm never going to finish this game at this pace, and with the Destiny beta dropping tmrw, I most likely won't be able to put in more than a few minutes into it...

Protag

Banned
He does explain the reason behind his actions. He wanted to surpass reality with a world of his own design, that huge, floating steel castle that captured and consumed him since long before he began working on the FullDive technology. Reaching out and touching the dream, the world he envisioned. Apparently that includes populating it with people, throwing them into his world to live in it and know it, as he does, and that's why he masquerades as Heathcliff and "plays along" with them. This isn't too far off from what a creator would think, or even what the writer himself would think :"I have this world in my mind, I want to make it real, experience it and invite other people to do the same". It's quite noble, but Kayaba's realization is at the same time morally twisted.

S2 SPOILERS below:

It doesn't stop there though. He appears at the end of the second season as an entity inside the networks, and provides The Seed, the software that gives life to countless Virtual Realities (including GGO). He's creating by proxy an entire VR multiverse through humanity's computer network, and ascending to a higher plane of existence. Kind of like Ghost in the Shell.

Sounds like a good plan and motivation to me. This kind of thing won't be blatantly pointed out, anime or light novel.

Not owning a Vita and reading this thread... /sigh.

Thanks for that, awesome post.

Edit: how many playable floors are in HF?

One. A huge (and I mean it) open world map, with different themed areas. I may be exaggerating a bit but I feel like the Hollow area is even larger than all the 25 floors from Aincrad put together. While Aincrad only has one direction to go (up obviously), in the Hollow Area you can go anywhere. There's verticality to the map, meaning that you do go up and down, but really when you do it would be for example in a temple or a cave somewhere on the map. If you want I can post a picture of what the map looks like.

Parakeetman

the hollow area is broken up into different zone made up of smaller maps at times. other designs are larger map areas connected

dont remember exactly but should be 5 or 6. there was the volcano and snow areas added too with the update patch

Stuart444

Just a few questions since I am starting to power through the game. (on floor 79 now).

1. Where are the best places to grind in the Hollow Area (not including the updated areas, also if you know the Japanese, that'd be grand since I don't have the asian version). I haven't progressed much in the HF story but I am a little addicted to Multiplayer Grinding lol.

2. What level do you need to be roughly to beat the Floor Clearing story? I'm aiming to try and get it done asap due to some other games I'm getting soon. (Atelier Shallie, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty, Xillia 2 Eng next month)

The game is great though I can't help but continue to use my dual swords. I almost feel like I should switch to another weapon set sometime.

Prelude.

So, did they ever say if the big update will (if it's not already out, I don't know actually) fix the engrish/typos of the asian version?

Parakeetman

So, did they ever say if the big update will (if it's not already out, I don't know actually) fix the engrish/typos of the asian version?

Dont think the large update is out for Asia. Not even sure if they had announced it. Would figure someone here would have mentioned it by now if so.

Just a few questions since I am starting to power through the game. (on floor 79 now).

1. Where are the best places to grind in the Hollow Area (not including the updated areas, also if you know the Japanese, that'd be grand since I don't have the asian version). I haven't progressed much in the HF story but I am a little addicted to Multiplayer Grinding lol.

2. What level do you need to be roughly to beat the Floor Clearing story? I'm aiming to try and get it done asap due to some other games I'm getting soon. (Atelier Shallie, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty, Xillia 2 Eng next month)

The game is great though I can't help but continue to use my dual swords. I almost feel like I should switch to another weapon set sometime.

1. Generally its just sticking on the exp up boost then constantly killing things works the best for whatever is the closest to your current level. As usual going after higher level targets help, but at the same time with how long some fights might take killing multiple smaller level ones works fine too.

2. Floor clearing for the main story isnt that hard so you do not really need to be super high level. Where as the Hollow Area is much more difficult. Currently am leaving for work so dont have time to pull up data for you unfortunately.

You really should progress with the other weapons as you would be missing out on a lot of important and useful skills.

Dont think the large update is out for Asia. Not even sure if they had announced it. Would figure someone here would have mentioned it by now if so.
I mentioned it last week, let me grab my post:

Double post, sorry, but thought this would be relevant news, for those who own the Asian copy at least. Patch 1.02 just dropped, not the major 1.05 update, just a minor bug fixing patch. This led me to look online, and from what I have been reading, the big one will drop sometime at the end of this month, beginning of the next, so I was right about the 1 month difference. Bandai Namco Asia also posted a video about it, but I cannot read a thing, so for anyone who can, you may be able to make things clearer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw1Luu1NJk

maskrider

Almost 150 hours, at level 132, still have quite a lot of things to do, this is going to last much longer than any other game that I have played so far.

edit: The big update has added quite a bit of life to the game.

Almost 150 hours, at level 132, still have quite a lot of things to do, this is going to last much longer than any other game that I have played so far.

edit: The big update has added quite a bit of life to the game.

My thoughts exactly. Can't remember the last time that I played a game for this long without dropping it , goddamn consumerism
aka there's just too much good stuff for me to resist...
. It's been almost 2 months since I got it and I still play it almost every night lol. Looking forward to that patch on the Asian version, wish I had a better idea of when it is coming out. They say July/Aug, I'm expecting late August.

TUSR

Banned
My thoughts exactly. Can't remember the last time that I played a game for this long without dropping it , goddamn consumerism
. It's been almost 2 months since I got it and I still play it almost every night lol. Looking forward to that patch on the Asian version, wish I had a better idea of when it is coming out. They say July/Aug, I'm expecting late August.

august please come quicker

Can't wait to have you all join the fray. Really it's only a few of us here on GAF playing it, and this game has just so much to talk about/discuss stat wise at least. Also loot location sharing is a must guys ;) We gotta make our waifus look good.

TUSR

Banned
Can't wait to have you all join the fray. Really it's only a few of us here on GAF playing it, and this game has just so much to talk about/discuss stat wise at least. Also loot location sharing is a must guys ;) We gotta make our waifus look good.

yes
yessssssssssssssss

Isn't it dropping in exactly one month? If I were you guys I'd start clearing whatever you are playing now. Once you get in...
tumblr_mzylylz6g11shy9seo1_500.gif

You aren't coming out.

Ugh, well I guess I can finally use the psn credit I have. I also just noticed that its out on the same day as Tales of Xillia 2. It's going to be a busy week. >.>
When you say week you mean months right? I don't know how I'm gonna be able to break away from this game to play everything that's lined up after the 12th of August. There's something that I want almost every week after that...

Isn't it dropping in exactly one month? If I were you guys I'd start clearing whatever you are playing now. Once you get in...
tumblr_mzylylz6g11shy9seo1_500.gif

You aren't coming out.

Must resist... importing a Asian copy... right now... You seriously don't make this easier :p

I'm just doing my part and getting the community fired up ;) you have made it this far without crossing over to the dark side, only a few more days! Like I said you will want to use them wisely because this game is a huge time sink. Work on your backlogs people! When I say that once you are in you aren't coming out, I'm not joking!
You have the second season of the show to tide you over until then too, new episode today! Get hype!

Prelude.

Well then, I'm just gonna wait and see if any of you guys with the asian version gets the patch and if it actually uses the new translation I'll import it.

You're not the only one xD

Though the only thing so far that truly tempts me is the Big Update, seeing as it's completely unknown if it comes to the West.

I'm glad :p And yeah I know though to be honest the game itself is already tempting enough for me, not getting the big update would be a big bummer for me though still not a deal-breaker. Although if... lets say they announce tomorrow that the Western version 100% won't get the update I might aswell go and import the physical version straight away as I doubt the Engrish will bother me.

Danferno

Well then, I'm just gonna wait and see if any of you guys with the asian version gets the patch and if it actually uses the new translation I'll import it.

I'm doing the same thing. I prefer physical copies, but if the Asian version doesn't get the update, I'll probably cave and buy the NA digital version.

I'm doing the same thing. I prefer physical copies, but if the Asian version doesn't get the update, I'll probably cave and buy the NA digital version.
U mean the other way around right? :p
The Asian version already has the update lined up for July/August, I posted the video that Bamco Asia put out at the beginning of the month saying so somewhere on this page again.

And I doubt that the update will fix the script at all, I saw someone mention that.

NolbertoS

I got a question for you guys. Just got my Asian copy of SOA, but how does it work to d/l the patch. Do I need an Asian PSN account?? And if yea, how do I go about creating one. Only have a US PSN accou t

Sigh, this will probably make me crack and finally get a Vita when it comes out (I've been delaying getting one for ages). Impressions sound pretty positive!

Top Bottom