• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

they are calling it a large update so basically with that in mind id imagine its a huge patch

In my mind that's what I think too. But patches usually don't add much content rather than fix it. The way this might work, hope not, is the patch will affect everything stat wise (level caps, difficulties, bugs, etc.) AND allow for the access of a piece of DLC which will include those 3 bosses and new areas.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
In my mind that's what I think too. But patches usually don't add much content rather than fix it. The way this might work, hope not, is the patch will affect everything stat wise (level caps, difficulties, bugs, etc.) AND allow for the access of a piece of DLC which will include those 3 bosses and new areas.

you need to think of it in the sense of an mmo where at times there are large patches that update in game content. patches are not always just minor fixes and such but can include content as well.

since they keep calling it a large content update instead of dlc perhaps their reasoning is to make sure everyone who bought the game and has an internet connection will be able to get it from updating their game instead of having to go through the dlc section.

the real question is how much space will it take up

Good point, as I have mentioned before, this is really my first time with an MMO-like (pseudo-MMO they call this one?) so I am not too familiar with how things work in terms of that. I sure hope that you are right. That is, if we HK owners even get it at all. If we get it, no way would the west version not get it either.

Parakeetman

Good point, as I have mentioned before, this is really my first time with an MMO-like (pseudo-MMO they call this one?) so I am not too familiar with how things work in terms of that. I sure hope that you are right. That is, if we HK owners even get it at all. If we get it, no way would the west version not get it either.

id imagine you guys would get it too. though not at the same time as japan. im curious as to how much the asian version sold

id imagine you guys would get it too. though not at the same time as japan. im curious as to how much the asian version sold
Probably not, since the is in english and all. And that's a good question, I could see it selling as much or even more than the japanese version because of the import sales.

Okay I'm getting one of these stupid late-night ideas. I liked SAO for the most part, yes the second part of Season 1 was rather ehhhh... but still overall I liked the series and the concept as a huge .hack// fan and well... I know it comes out in August fully localized but now that SAO II started I did order the Aincrad novel from Amazon and I'm seriously contemplating formatting my Vita and buying the game in advance from the Hong Kong PSN which would be incredibly stupid and I know it because not only would it lock down my Vita from my EU digital games but also be totally unreasonable since I have a ginourmous backlog and not much time to play anyway D:
I'm strong enough to not buy it :p (I think..)

What fascinates me the most about the game isn't that it's SAO in itself or that it's a offline MMO for the Vita but rather the game mechanics of SAO itself. SAO in the anime solved what I disliked most about real MMOs so far, the battle-system and the fact that no MMO I played really encouraged exploration beyond a few achievements or bonus EXP. I know games like TERA and Blade & Soul feature more active battle systems already and the next wave of Korean MMOs seemed to have evolved even further which makes me happy about the future of MMOs. Now I know the Vita game only emulates the SAO battle-system we have seen in the show but thinking about playing something relatively close to it gets me excited :D I should stop putting the game on such a high pedestal though I think or I will end up disappointed I guess :(

Anyway regarding the DLC matter, I'm not Bandai Namco but I can only agree with what Parakeetman said after all I read and heard about the game. I encourage everyone too to buy the game as it is, we have to establish a userbase first to show it's worth bringing the DLC over.

Think of it like this: If you don't buy the game because of the DLC you will likely muss out on the game forever as less sales will lower the chance of it ever getting brought over and it will also set a negative sign about bringing more Japanese games over. If you do buy the game you get a good game and increase the chance of the DLC getting localized. I know there is this whole "vote with your wallet" thing and I agree in almost all cases with it but I don't think not buying the game will tell Bandai "Oh... they want everything Japan is getting, lets get on this!" but more "Eh... why do we even bother with such a low consumer base..." JRPGs in general seem on the rise again and the Offline-MMO genre of JRPGs as well as localization of games from anime adaptions are relative new things so in this case I think "voting with your wallet" can do more harm than good for the overall situation. But that's just my personal opinion of course!

Parakeetman

I'm honestly running out of reasons to not get a vita. Guess I should start saving money now.

Its the year of the Vita man. Plus with PS+ and the other PSP titles that can be played on a Vita its well worth it. The only real neck that is the downer for everyone is just getting a high capacity memory card which is a must personally.

Well Parakeet I was thinking earlier, if we are to go with the release date in Japan, which was in late April, followed by the HK version a month later, I think it's more realistic to keep that 1 month gap in mind in terms of when this patch is gonna drop on our side (again IF it drops).

And yes, this game truly is amazing, never would I have guessed that I would end up liking a licensed title as much as I do. I would say this game has so far been the highlight of my year in terms of gaming, might sound silly, but it's true. Haven't enjoyed a game this much because of it's mechanics rather than story in a good while.

crinale

At Dengeki magazine Bamco guy said the Vita version went better than expected. They'll shoot for the sequel (didn't say about much, let alone the platform. Seems like they've just started the entire plan).

Parakeetman

At Dengeki magazine Bamco guy said the Vita version went better than expected. They'll shoot for the sequel (didn't say about much, let alone the platform. Seems like they've just started the entire plan).

If its by the same team should be good then. As am sure they have a lot of feedback based off of the new system they had used for Hollow Fragment.

Ill be looking forward to it thats for sure.

Parakeetman

Its too bad Log Horizon is under the Kadokawa umbrella as I think the team behind the SAO game could do it some justice.

Well Parakeet I was thinking earlier, if we are to go with the release date in Japan, which was in late April, followed by the HK version a month later, I think it's more realistic to keep that 1 month gap in mind in terms of when this patch is gonna drop on our side (again IF it drops).

And yes, this game truly is amazing, never would I have guessed that I would end up liking a licensed title as much as I do. I would say this game has so far been the highlight of my year in terms of gaming, might sound silly, but it's true. Haven't enjoyed a game this much because of it's mechanics rather than story in a good while.

Its most likely because the game doesnt do the general insulting hand holding a lot of other titles do these days and its a test of your skills vs the game and how well do you make do with the mechanics.

Its too bad Log Horizon is under the Kadokawa umbrella as I think the team behind the SAO game could do it some justice.

Its most likely because the game doesnt do the general insulting hand holding a lot of other titles do these days and its a test of your skills vs the game and how well do you make do with the mechanics.
Log Horizon would have to be more VN oriented I think, since that show is more about "political" moves, rather than skill moves. It's there too, but it is much more story heavy.

And I totally agree. In the hollow area specially, the game is open to you from the moment you drop there, and it doesn't really tell you where you should go/doesn't limit your options of where and how you get there.

Parakeetman

Log Horizon would have to be more VN oriented I think, since that show is more about "political" moves, rather than skill moves. It's there too, but it is much more story heavy.

And I totally agree. In the hollow area specially, the game is open to you from the moment you drop there, and it doesn't really tell you where you should go/doesn't limit your options of where and how you get there.

Actually it can work the same way that SAO does, since Log Horizon is also very skill based and it goes off of a lot of the basic principals of a MMO in general even more so than SAO. Which would make for more interesting fights in the sense that you would have actual real parties instead of how SAO works with just a single partner.

To make things work story wise you are just a player within the world that takes part in the story along side the other main characters of the series. Would actually work the same way that SAOs flow does. Even more so since its more interaction with the other characters of the world itself over SAO.

That would be pretty cool actually. I would buy that, specially if it was done by the team that made hollow fragment. The idea of having your own character interact with the characters of the show would be pretty damn neat.

matmanx1

I'm actually letting myself get a little bit excited about the USA/EU release of SAO now. Less than 6 weeks to to!

Hopefully the sales will be good enough for Namco to bring the big content update over and eventually any future titles in the series also. I will certainly be doing my part.

Parakeetman

That would be pretty cool actually. I would buy that, specially if it was done by the team that made hollow fragment. The idea of having your own character interact with the characters of the show would be pretty damn neat.

It would be the best way to design the game to explain why its more exploring / combat focused. In the sense that you are doing a lot of missions for the main characters in the story. The behind the scenes team that is supporting the actions of the main line characters. Best way to fit in an original story since with a setting like that you pretty much have free reigns to do what you want with the scenario and extra characters.

It would be the best way to design the game to explain why its more exploring / combat focused. In the sense that you are doing a lot of missions for the main characters in the story. The behind the scenes team that is supporting the actions of the main line characters. Best way to fit in an original story since with a setting like that you pretty much have free reigns to do what you want with the scenario and extra characters.
Someone pls make this happen LOL. With series like Mahouka or even Rail Wars (announced today) getting a game this year, idk how this has got nothing coming for it.

Parakeetman

Someone pls make this happen LOL. With series like Mahouka or even Rail Wars (announced today) getting a game this year, idk how this has got nothing coming for it.

Most likely Kadokawa has no idea what to do with it...

Truthfully with that engine that Bandai Namco has now which SAO:HF uses they could try to reboot the .hack series with it also. Would make for far more interesting gameplay than what we had in the past.

Maybe once season 2 starts this fall we will get an announcement of some sort. Until then, SAO will be my time sink.
Idk how I will be able to play everything that I have ordered starting this August, with Akiba's Trip 2 and Xillia 2 when all I do is play this game. By now I would of gotten fed up of it but that isn't the case... Welp.

Protag

Banned
Oh man, finished episode 14

Pretty good pretty good

Though i wish
kayaba didnt "forget" his reason/motive for locking 10,000+ people in an MMORPG. I really hope this is revealed later. I also want an explanation as to why kirito lived even though he was killed.

Anyone?

Shame that I'm in class right now, as soon as I get out I'll google translate the shit out of it and give it a read on the bus on my way home, looks quite lengthy and extensive (which I like ehe).
Edit: just read everything, they really went crazy with the amount of stuff being added. Can't wait, hope we (HK ver.) get it soon too!

That is one big chunk of memory right there, guess all the content is on that patch. I can confirm from my side that there's nothing on my side, HK/R3 has nothing yet. Probably another month or even more till we see it.

Double post, sorry, but thought this would be relevant news, for those who own the Asian copy at least. Patch 1.02 just dropped, not the major 1.05 update, just a minor bug fixing patch. This led me to look online, and from what I have been reading, the big one will drop sometime at the end of this month, beginning of the next, so I was right about the 1 month difference. Bandai Namco Asia also posted a video about it, but I cannot read a thing, so for anyone who can, you may be able to make things clearer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw1Luu1NJk

ViciousDS

Banned
This game will work on the playstation tv correct? If so.....I'm going to be so busy later this year. I know his one starts halfway through but is there a first game that got released in Northern America? Would be awesome to play as Kirito from day 1 the servers when everything went to hell. If not whatever I've read the novels and am hoping they at least go to mothers Rosario because that's where stuff gets really intense and shocking.

Well the Japanese one did at least, that's how Parakeet recorded his footage.

As for the first game, Infinity Moment was the first game in the series, which is one of the 2 arcs in Hollow Fragment (Infinity Moment "HD" and Hollow Area). It carries on from episode 14 of the series, where Kirito
fights Heathcliff. The game takes place right after Kirito puts the sword in him and kills him. BUT... Instead of the game ending it just... doesn't lol.
So they decide to aim for floor 100, that you already know. So you say that you read the LNs, I can't really tell if you are talking about the anime going up to Mother's Rosario or the games, nor if you have even watched the series aside from reading the LNs :p Hope I managed to answer your questions aha.

At work. Can't do meme shit.

"We can't have a female character in Hollow Fragment. But we'll get that GGO tarp™ character model. So I got that going for me which is nice"

maskrider

This game will work on the playstation tv correct? If so.....I'm going to be so busy later this year. I know his one starts halfway through but is there a first game that got released in Northern America? Would be awesome to play as Kirito from day 1 the servers when everything went to hell. If not whatever I've read the novels and am hoping they at least go to mothers Rosario because that's where stuff gets really intense and shocking.

No problem on PSV TV, I play the DL version of the game on both my PSV and PSV TV, with my save file shared by PS+, on JP PSN, logged game time > 110 hours.

Parakeetman

was right about the expansion being a patch got it downloaded but dont think there will be much time to check it put yet

pretty sure he meant Trap in reference to Kirito's avatar for GGO.
LOL yeah that makes sense, I mean... a GGO tarp? Kirito goes camping this season ahaha!

was right about the expansion being a patch got it downloaded but dont think there will be much time to check it put yet
Great, can't wait to get the patch too. Still got a ways to go till I actually can access the content, but knowing that it's there will be reassuring. I don't want this game to end, it's crack LOL.

fahad

Neo Member
so guys I have a question about ordering from Play-Aisa : my order left the facility at 16 June , and because I choose "free shipping" the estimate delivery date will be around 3 weeks !!
the problem is that now 14 July and I haven't received my game yet !!
is that normally happen ? should I be worry ? and what should I do ?

TUSR

Banned
so guys I have a question about ordering from Play-Aisa : my order left the facility at 16 June , and because I choose "free shipping" the estimate delivery date will be around 3 weeks !!

Tracking code? Customer service email? Phone call?

Get the ball rolling on any of those.

Tohsaka

It's normal if you used SAL shipping. Play-Asia is based in Hong Kong, so shipping is going to take a while unless you use EMS shipping.

Play-Asia's free shipping can be a nightmare at the best of times. In my experience I'd say it's normal, and that you might be waiting a few more weeks for it to arrive. :(

That is why I never order anything from overseas without a tracking code. At the very least, if fast shipping is just too much for me, I at least a pay little extra but I can track my order and if the worst case scenario happens and it gets lost at least I have proof of it not being delivered to me. I would contact P-A if I were you and explain your situation, either by email or phone number.

WiseWarrior

Neo Member
Hello again,

I am now 55 hours into the game. Here are my stats:

Lv 121
HP 46488

DPS Total 464
DMG 588
Attack Speed 76

ATK 334
DEF 523

STR 319
VIT 281
AGI 189
DEX 202
HIT 236
Dodge 0 (Because of Scimitar/Shield)

And my weapons:

MantisBaptizer +4
STR+100 VIT+20 DODGE+15

WarriorThrasher +3
ATK+25 DEF+25 STR+90 HIT-10

BraveBlade +3
STR+115 VIT +20 DEX+20 AGI+20 DODGE-10

I just beat Hollow Area 3, and have completed 93 floors in Aincrad. My question is thus: Is it normal for the Attack stat to be so much lower than the Defense one? My two rings combine boost Attack by 65, but it's still so much lower.

EDIT: Got ATK to 384 and DEF 473 with Scimitar/Shield 395/418 with Dual Blades. I love the customization features of this game! And after thinking about it, the reason my defense was so much higher was the shield. Duh lol.

Top Bottom